Help with translation patch of mystery and 5

PB&J

OK I really hope its alright if i say this here because on the translation page it seems like no one post in that forum anymore. I have snes9x emulator. So when I first got it a while back I got fe4 english patch and it runs well and everything. I decided I want to play fe3 and 5 in english so I got the patch files but when I try to patch fe3 the rom it did not show up when i was using lunar IPS. I figured it was the rom so I try other ones and it did the same thing until I found one that would patch. I checked to see if it worked and everything but when patched it gave a black screen. I'm also having the same problem with fe5. (Not asking for any links to roms just asking if there is anything I can do to fix this)

Edited by PB&J
Title correct

53 minutes ago, FionordeQuester said:

Hmm...

Do you know how to take screenshots of your computer?  It's should be something like "CTRL/ALT/FN + Prt Sc", depending on your computer.

Yes but should I pp you to send them? 

8 hours ago, PB&J said:

when I try to patch fe3 the rom it did not show up when i was using lunar IPS

There are some file types LIPS doesn't immediately recognize (e.g. .fig), but you can enable it to search for all file types instead of "Most Common ROM Files" to carry on regardless.

15 hours ago, Topazd said:

There are some file types LIPS doesn't immediately recognize (e.g. .fig), but you can enable it to search for all file types instead of "Most Common ROM Files" to carry on regardless.

Er ok so im actually confused on how you do do that

40 minutes ago, eclipse said:

Alright.

1. The Edit button exists.  Use it.  Don't post bunch of times in a row.
2. Can you play the ROM unpatched?

Yes and I have tried other roms of the same game to see if they would work

8 minutes ago, PB&J said:

Yes and I have tried other roms of the same game to see if they would work

So the issue isn't a faulty ROM.

Next two questions:

1. Which patches are you using?
2. Do the ROMs have other patches applied to them already?

Second one should be self-evident, but I've seen things go haywire before because of it.

53 minutes ago, eclipse said:

So the issue isn't a faulty ROM.

Next two questions:

1. Which patches are you using?
2. Do the ROMs have other patches applied to them already?

Second one should be self-evident, but I've seen things go haywire before because of it.

Patch file is fe3v11 (From the translation forum) and patched with Fire Emblem - Monshou no Nazo (J) (V1.1) rom. Also tried fe3 patch but didn't work either. I don't think the Japanese rom I got is patch tho, everything looks the same. And I think I know the problem with 776 but if anything i'll probably come back if somethings the matter. 

11 minutes ago, PB&J said:

Patch file is fe3v11 (From the translation forum) and patched with Fire Emblem - Monshou no Nazo (J) (V1.1) rom. Also tried fe3 patch but didn't work either. I don't think the Japanese rom I got is patch tho, everything looks the same. And I think I know the problem with 776 but if anything i'll probably come back if somethings the matter. 

Can you link the FE3 patch?  I have a suspicion, but I'd need to see the patch itself.

In the meantime, find a FE3 1.0 ROM, and see if that works.

13 minutes ago, eclipse said:

Can you link the FE3 patch?  I have a suspicion, but I'd need to see the patch itself.

In the meantime, find a FE3 1.0 ROM, and see if that works.

Both of the patches came in the same download from this forum 

22 minutes ago, eclipse said:

Hmmm.

If you have a copy of the original FE3 ROM you used, try adding a header to it, then patch, then see if that clears it up.

Excuse for saying this but I have no knowledge of adding/unadding headers.Is there anything specific I need to do to add one?

8 minutes ago, PB&J said:

Excuse for saying this but I have no knowledge of adding/unadding headers.Is there anything specific I need to do to add one?

From the first post of the translation topic you linked:

The step that seems to trip most would-be-patchers is whether your SNES ROM has a header or not. You can check whether your ROM has a header by using a hex editor or certain ROM utilities like SNESTool. Basically, you're looking for a large area of empty space near the very beginning of the ROM. If you need to add or remove a header, you can try using SNESTool.

How to actually use the tool?  No clue.

10 minutes ago, eclipse said:

From the first post of the translation topic you linked:

How to actually use the tool?  No clue.

Not working for me, oh well doesn't seem like anything else I can do about it except find some random translated one. Thx for the help anyways.