What are things you're sick of seeing in FE?

Guest Dreamyboi

Guest Dreamyboi
9 minutes ago, Slumber said:

This is an odd one I entirely agree on. The quickness and surprise of criticals and skills made them a lot more effective in gameplay, and I HATE it when units never shut up. Spouting a one-liner every time there's a crit or a skill procs just seems tonally off.

Having your heroes effectively say "Heh, I'm killing you, but look at how much fun I'm having." in a series built on making you feel bad every time one of YOUR units dies seems like a big clash. 

Not to mention they get annoying if you get a lot of critical hits. Honestly I wish you could turn them off.

Edited by Dreamyboi

• Replies 135
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

41 minutes ago, Armagon said:

But not every part of a game has to be realistic. And honestly, i'd argue that it's actually unfair that a frail unit can't use a big, powerful weapon. It's why Pegasus Knights struggle a lot in the GBA games.

That just means we need bulkier Pegasus Knights options.

1 hour ago, Jotari said:

That just means we need bulkier Pegasus Knights options.

It's not just Pegasus knights - damn near every female unit tends to have lower con than a male unit of the same class. Sometimes it's not much lower, but far more often than not, it's by a noticeable amount (e.g.: Isadora vs. any male Paladin).

Edited by Levant Mir Celestia

1 hour ago, Dreamyboi said:

Not to mention they get annoying if you get a lot of critical hits. Honestly I wish you could turn them off.

Turn off combat animations entirely.  That'll get rid of them.

Yeah the critical cut ins are something that I can see why people like and why others dislike. I'm mixed but lean towards disliking them after a while. Hopefully the next game has the option to disable them. Also hope for less "in your face!" type victory quotes.

40 minutes ago, Levant Mir Celestia said:

It's not just Pegasus knights - damn near every female unit tends to have lower con than a male unit of the same class. Sometimes it's not much lower, but far more often than not, it's by a noticeable amount (e.g.: Isadora vs. any male Paladin).

The trade-off is that females tend to, innately, have higher speed than males. They're hit harder by con penalties, but it usually ends up evening out. 

Edited by Slumber

8 minutes ago, Slumber said:

The trade-off is that females tend to, innately, have higher speed than males.

Which doesn't help them much when they lose most of that speed advantage if they don't stick to lighter, and thus weaker, weapons. And I would call B.S. on it "evening out".

Guest Dreamyboi
  • Excessive Player Worship
  • Cartoony Bandits/Pirates
  • Half-assed Callbacks (Fatigue in Echoes, Capture in Fates, Laguz Taguel in Awakening)
  • Obviously Evil Character Design (Garon, Validar, Jedah, Hans)
  • HEXING ROD

7 hours ago, Dreamyboi said:
  • HEXING ROD

These too.  I'd prefer to see some protagonist or otherwise morally gray Thracia 776-esque bandits for a change.  And Hexing Rods are literal cancer.

8 hours ago, Levant Mir Celestia said:

Which doesn't help them much when they lose most of that speed advantage if they don't stick to lighter, and thus weaker, weapons. And I would call B.S. on it "evening out".

When it comes down to it, regardless of how it actually was implemented, Constitution and Weapon Weight are just another additional parameters that make a unit stronger or weaker, and thus more distinct from other units of their class. It's just like skill or luck. You can have one mercenary that excels at speed and skill, but is bad in consitution, or you can have one that has great constution but falls down in terms of skill and speed. It's literally just another stat, one that encourages the use of multiple weapons. My only issue is that it should have a growth rate like it originally did in Thracia so a unit isn't theoretically doomed to always have speed loss.

I'm not sick of it, per se, but I think they should really reconsider the idea that every lord / main character has to be nobility in some way. It might just be me, but having your main character be privileged to hell an back due to being royalty cheapens some of their accomplishments, in that it seems like everything is just handed to them because they have blue blood running through their veins instead of having to work for it.
This is why Ike will forever remain as one of my favourite main characters, because his station as a "nobody" at the start of PoR feels like a breath of fresh air and makes his growth as a character all the more relatable and interesting.

17 hours ago, Dreamyboi said:

Let's get the obvious ones out of the way.

• Desert Maps (They're tedious slogs and I can't think of a single benefit to them)
  • Fog of War (These are bad for strategy because they only effect the player and practically enforce turtling)
  • One Dimensional Villains (They're lazily written and boring)
  • Quirk-Centric Characters (They're lazy and I find them immersion breaking)
  • Open Field Maps (Lazy, Awakening was embarrassing and Echoes has NO excuse)
  • Lackluster Worldbuilding (Let's be real, even Echoes needed to do a better job with it's worldbuilding despite having different teachings Rigelian and Zofian societies appeared the same)

Am I the only person who likes these? Yes? Okay...

11 minutes ago, Tuvy said:

Am I the only person who likes these? Yes? Okay...

No, you're not. I like them, too. They can make for some fun and frantic battles, especially if they have half a billion Cavs swarming you (I am exaggerating, of course, but you get the idea). They require another kind of strategy, which I can appreciate.

The map where you fight Walhart for the first time (I think it's Chapter 19?) is one of my favourites because of this.

Edited by DragonFlames

2 hours ago, Jotari said:

When it comes down to it, regardless of how it actually was implemented, Constitution and Weapon Weight are just another additional parameters that make a unit stronger or weaker, and thus more distinct from other units of their class. It's just like skill or luck. You can have one mercenary that excels at speed and skill, but is bad in consitution, or you can have one that has great constution but falls down in terms of skill and speed. It's literally just another stat, one that encourages the use of multiple weapons. My only issue is that it should have a growth rate like it originally did in Thracia so a unit isn't theoretically doomed to always have speed loss.

Weapon weight, I'm fine with (Gaiden and SoV have a fair system that shows that it can work), but nothing good comes of adding Con to the equation. It's nothing but cancer to the concept of balance. Female units in general tend to have lower strength than males, which means they might need stronger weapons to make up the difference. But nooooo, they get punished for using the very weapons that would help them.

10 hours ago, Slumber said:

The trade-off is that females tend to, innately, have higher speed than males. They're hit harder by con penalties, but it usually ends up evening out. 

But then they also tend to have less attack, thus requiring them to equip heavier weapons that slow them down. The other thing I want to add to this is that, while female units tend to be faster, that doesn't always happen while male units having more Con than their female counterparts is something that always holds true. 

Edited by UNLEASH IT

1 minute ago, UNLEASH IT said:

But then they also tend to have less attack, thus requiring them to equip heavier weapons that slow them down.

Or, you could equip the lighter weapons and have them double, thus dealing more damage over all. Eliwood has more Con than Lyn, do you think that makes him an inherently better unit than her?

• People complaining about every little thing in the series.
  • Whenever the games have permadeath but aren't designed with it in mind.
  • The games never telling you how many support points someone has with another unit.
  • The games never telling you a units growth rates directly. Especially since they could display this information in another slide/page in some games.
  • It was a neat twist that the most powerful dragon in the world looked like a little girl the first time around, but did they really need to play this trope straight every other time?
  • They go through the effort of creating male and female variations of classes, but then make every enemy unit a male. C'mon, you went through the trouble of modeling two different versions of the same class, so why don't you use them?!
  • Most of the series final bosses are dragons. I actually don't mind this in concept, I just wish the fights were more interesting and unique (and that there are more dragon fights elsewhere in the game).
  • You have to play half the series via emulator.
Edited by Hawkwing

1 hour ago, Jotari said:

Or, you could equip the lighter weapons and have them double, thus dealing more damage over all. Eliwood has more Con than Lyn, do you think that makes him an inherently better unit than her?

You do realize that's a rather tame example? Try Florina vs. Heath. The former can't use anything above a slim lance without losing a lot of speed, which includes the likes of javelins, and even iron lances, FYI, whilst the latter isn't as limited in what he can use. How the fuck is this okay?

4 minutes ago, Levant Mir Celestia said:

You do realize that's a rather tame example? Try Florina vs. Heath. The former can't use anything above iron without losing a lot of speed, which includes the likes of javelins, whilst the latter isn't as limited in what he can use. How the fuck is this okay?

It's not, but that doesn't mean it's how the system should be used. Just because it was unbalanced in a few games, doesn't mean the idea is inherently bad. It's like saying we should remove axe users altogether because they weren't good in FE1-3. They weren't good because they weren't used in a fair and balanced way, not because the idea of characters with axes is a bad one.

Edited by Jotari

2 hours ago, DragonFlames said:

I'm not sick of it, per se, but I think they should really reconsider the idea that every lord / main character has to be nobility in some way. It might just be me, but having your main character be privileged to hell an back due to being royalty cheapens some of their accomplishments, in that it seems like everything is just handed to them because they have blue blood running through their veins instead of having to work for it.
This is why Ike will forever remain as one of my favourite main characters, because his station as a "nobody" at the start of PoR feels like a breath of fresh air and makes his growth as a character all the more relatable and interesting.

I agree. Especially after SoV. I like the story and feel it mostly succeeds, but the complaint that the themes of classicism are undermined by the reveal that both protagonists are actually royalty is very legitimate. 

I would enjoy another protagonist that isn't a big deal at first.

mmm

Quirk character...it's not fitting to FE. They can have personality... but this is not Rune Factory 3! (or 4)

Protagonist using a sword...geez all of them, excepting Hector (unpromoted), Ephraim and Micaiah use other weapon at start

Triangle weapon should be like in FE4 or FE7..if not then change the hit of the weapon to be bit lower. (I hate how you can't be a dodge tank)

Bows user are incapable of counter at close range, excepting minibow and Gaiden/SoV. Magic can but bow cannot.

Cannot use all your character in battle. Only Gaiden/SoV (excepting dungeon) and Genealogy do this. "All" character is useful.

14 hours ago, Levant Mir Celestia said:

I agree that this is pretty annoying, and I'd rather males and females be held to the same Con standard.

That said, I don't think Con is a bad system - I think it's one of the better weight systems actually. Static numbers make it less of a headache to decide on meaningful Weight stats, and different classes being affected by weight unequally adds another layer of depth to the system. The two main issues are that certain characters and classes are over- or under-Conned (the aforementioned Isadora GBA Pegasus Knights) and that it could use a secondary buffer to make Steel weapons less weighty as time goes on.

As for what I'm sick of seeing... as a counterpoint to bows lacking 1-range, I'll say magic always having 1-2 range. Having stronger magic types be locked out of melee or ranged combat could be a useful means of balancing them, and some 2-range only tomes would give bows another target they can reliably enemy phase.

13 hours ago, Dreamyboi said:
  • Half-assed Callbacks (Fatigue in Echoes, Capture in Fates, Laguz Taguel in Awakening)
  • HEXING ROD

Agreed

2 hours ago, Hawkwing said:
  • People complaining about every little thing in the series.
  • Whenever the games have permadeath but aren't designed with it in mind.
  • The games never telling you how many support points someone has with another unit.
  • The games never telling you a units growth rates directly. Especially since they could display this information in another slide/page in some games.
  • It was a neat twist that the most powerful dragon in the world looked like a little girl the first time around, but did they really need to play this trope straight every other time?
  • They go through the effort of creating male and female variations of classes, but then make every enemy unit a male. C'mon, you went through the trouble of modeling two different versions of the same class, so why don't you use them?!
  • Most of the series final bosses are dragons. I actually don't mind this in concept, I just wish the fights were more interesting and unique (and that there are more dragon fights elsewhere in the game).
  • You have to play have the series via emulator.

Agreed

2 hours ago, Jotari said:

It's not, but that doesn't mean it's how the system should be used. Just because it was unbalanced in a few games, doesn't mean the idea is inherently bad. It's like saying we should remove axe users altogether because they weren't good in FE1-3. They weren't good because they weren't used in a fair and balanced way, not because the idea of characters with axes is a bad one.

You're comparing a fair weight system (no buffer) to one that isn't even close to fair. :facepalm:

1 hour ago, X-Naut said:

I agree that this is pretty annoying, and I'd rather males and females be held to the same Con standard.

That said, I don't think Con is a bad system - I think it's one of the better weight systems actually. Static numbers make it less of a headache to decide on meaningful Weight stats, and different classes being affected by weight unequally adds another layer of depth to the system. The two main issues are that certain characters and classes are over- or under-Conned (the aforementioned Isadora GBA Pegasus Knights) and that it could use a secondary buffer to make Steel weapons less weighty as time goes on.

I don't see what was so good about Con as a determining factor in AS - compared to no buffer and Strength as a buffer it was obviously unfair.