What are things you're sick of seeing in FE?

Guest Dreamyboi

5 hours ago, Paris said:

Is there a requirement that any and all characters with tragic plot line deaths have to die from being burnt alive by fire? Minor complaint but it would spice things up. Or at the very least, have more males die from fire to give Sigurd company. 

Well Emmeryn died by falling on her head...Oh wait, she didn't. She got brain damaged and magically warped to an island where the characters stumbled on her without explanation and Robin proceeded to rape Chrom's disabled sister.

2 hours ago, Levant Mir Celestia said:

We already had one. Idoun. Her case is more a tragic one though.

Better example would be Ashera. You also have Female Grima I think? Though I always felt Grima was more male regardless as to what the Avatar's gender is. Not sure if the script supports that interpretation though.

Edited by Jotari

• Replies 135
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Half baked Gharnef's. Its a decent archtype but ever since Radiant Dawn they just stopped trying doing anything interesting with the it. SD Gharnef, Validar and especially Iago all sucked and didn't possess an ounce of stature or anything interesting that went along with the typical archtype traits. 

3 hours ago, Etrurian emperor said:

Half baked Gharnef's. Its a decent archtype but ever since Radiant Dawn they just stopped trying doing anything interesting with the it. SD Gharnef, Validar and especially Iago all sucked and didn't possess an ounce of stature or anything interesting that went along with the typical archtype traits. 

I liked Shadow Dragon Gharnef. Mainly because he was the only villain in the plot that was actually doing anything.

Just now, Jotari said:

I liked Shadow Dragon Gharnef. Mainly because he was the only villain in the plot that was actually doing anything.

I actually hold it against Gharnef how he's not doing anything at all the entire time. Before his boss fight you encounter him once in the desert and he sends Tiki at you at one point. That's all he does. It beats the sole chapter appearances of Medeus and Michelis but only barely. And even in those scenes he fails to do or say anything of interest. 

33 minutes ago, Etrurian emperor said:

I actually hold it against Gharnef how he's not doing anything at all the entire time. Before his boss fight you encounter him once in the desert and he sends Tiki at you at one point. That's all he does. It beats the sole chapter appearances of Medeus and Michelis but only barely. And even in those scenes he fails to do or say anything of interest. 

Why does he leave Marth in the desert when he was invincible? 

Just now, Icelerate said:

Why does he leave Marth in the desert when he was invincible? 

He says its because he was bored and apparently that's a perfectly valid reason to let some kid conquer your personal kingdom.

But I give Nergal and Narcian a pass on them repeatedly letting the heroes go so I can't hold that against Gharnef too much. 

10 minutes ago, Etrurian emperor said:

He says its because he was bored and apparently that's a perfectly valid reason to let some kid conquer your personal kingdom.

But I give Nergal and Narcian a pass on them repeatedly letting the heroes go so I can't hold that against Gharnef too much. 

Well at least Narcian is a minor villain and he ended up getting punished from the higher ups. Competent villains are hard to come by especially when FE lords end up winning battle after battle. Speaking of which, I'm tired of seeing incompetent villains and perfect protagonists. 

1 hour ago, Etrurian emperor said:

Yeah, he's not that active in the present game, but he still is the most active. And when it comes to the backstory, he's the most active too, being the one who started the whole mess by releasing Medeus in the first place, killing Miloah, kidnapping Elice and Falchion. One of the only actual arcs in the game is centered around him, that being getting the Star and Life Orbs to get Starlight to defeat him. This is also what links Gotoh into the plot and makes up his main concern. I can understand how this all might still not be good enough for some people, as compared to more developed stories, it's still just a rather minor list of things, but Shadow Dragon is written pretty differently to most stories and I like it for that fact (Michelis does even less than Gharnef and I like him too, not a big fan of Medeus though).

Not a big fan of him in the sequel though where he pulls a Hijacked By Bowser at the end and is just generally responsible for everything again even though he's kind of dead and wasn't even that necessary to bring back (couldn't the Dark Sphere just corrupt Hardin by itself? Or couldn't Eremiya just be evil all on her own?). Is fun to play as him in that side mission though.

47 minutes ago, Etrurian emperor said:

To Narcian's credit, he's just a lazy ass who has no reason to personally get his hands dirty when he could just delegate it to someone else (who at least once just delegates the task to someone else too). I find it to make the most sense for him since he doesn't have any grand ambitions that Roy is messing up for him, unlike Nergal and Gharnef.

Edited by Jotari

1 hour ago, Jotari said:

To Narcian's credit, he's just a lazy ass who has no reason to personally get his hands dirty when he could just delegate it to someone else (who at least once just delegates the task to someone else too). I find it to make the most sense for him since he doesn't have any grand ambitions that Roy is messing up for him, unlike Nergal and Gharnef.

I agree and do enjoy that Narcian is consistantly portrayed as lazy, vain, generally incompetent, hedonistic, backstabbing, and cowardly, in contrast to Nergal and Gharnef who are supposed to be the big masterminds behind their games' Evul Plans. But even I as a big FE6 apologist have to say that he overstays his welcome at least after chapter 12. The fact that he's still given crucial missions undermines the "no failure allowed" vibe that Bern('s army) otherwise has.

Back to topic - I apologize if I regurgitate stuff that's been brought up before, I haven't read all of the thread:

• Breedable underaged characters. Seriously. And especially those who have "childish" as a defining character trait (coughelisecough). I don't mind romantic supports for teenagers on principle, but the combination with children mechanics (which I wouldn't mind seeing disappear anyway) doesn't sit well with me.
  • Diminishing the story in favour of fanservice. This isn't a "on principle" thing either - I'm willing to suspend my disbelief for a more aesthetically pleasing armor design, although battle panties leave the "that's hot" area of fanservice and go full speed into "that's fucking dumb" territory - but stuff like throwing the whole "related by blood vs. growing up with" aspect of Fates' big route split just so that the Hoshidan royals are viable waifus/husbandos is just such a waste.
  • Avatars, unless they manage to actually create a game with multiple branching paths, where choices during the game actually affect how the plot unfolds (I see Fates more as three mostly separate games, and the decisions that you do make later don't really have lasting effects on the overall plot). As is, all the avatars (and that most certainly does include Mark) are just vessels for all the characters to tell the player how handsome and smart he is. I'd rather have the game follow the story of only predefined characters who are all allowed to have flaws that can be adressed as such.

7 hours ago, ping said:

I agree and do enjoy that Narcian is consistantly portrayed as lazy, vain, generally incompetent, hedonistic, backstabbing, and cowardly, in contrast to Nergal and Gharnef who are supposed to be the big masterminds behind their games' Evul Plans. But even I as a big FE6 apologist have to say that he overstays his welcome at least after chapter 12. The fact that he's still given crucial missions undermines the "no failure allowed" vibe that Bern('s army) otherwise has.

I think what bothers me about FE6 is that Bern is portrayed to be extremely powerful compared to the rest of the continent, even without dragons. The only country that's somewhat comparable is Etruria but Etruria's army was weakened by a civil war. Yet despite this and the fact Bern still has Sacae and Illia under its control, Roy manages to win battle after battle. Even the esteemed Bern's second in command, Murdock, ends up being a one chapter boss whose defeat allowed Roy to launch an attack on Bern's palace. So much for Bern's might. 

• 2 weeks later...

The Yandere sex-appeal female character. Faye is ....tolerable. I hated Tharja and Camilla's character was ruined by it (imo ). Please no more. We've had Tharja, we've had Camilla and we've had it done more realistically with Faye. That's enough. (imo).