DLC Pack 3 Discussion Topic

Ertrick36

2 hours ago, Interdimensional Observer said:

Tharja: Camilla, as expected (does it involve a ten minute earthquake and misfired itchy skin curse like I feared it would?), Robin was expected as well. Why Hinoka though? Corrin I get- but I don't by the reincarnation BS. And why Azura? Chrom-Tharja would have been good too.

Tharja x Azura is actually pretty good (It revolves around the magic in Azura's singing, which Tharja notices).

Tharja x Hinoka is entirely comedic.

• Replies 203
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

5 hours ago, Interdimensional Observer said:

Owain: No Lucina is explicable they have one in their base game, but then why does he have a Lissa? Chrom is good, but why Camilla?

Tharja: Camilla, as expected (does it involve a ten minute earthquake and misfired itchy skin curse like I feared it would?), Robin was expected as well. Why Hinoka though? Corrin I get- but I don't by the reincarnation BS. And why Azura? Chrom-Tharja would have been good too.

Olivia: No Navarre? She is visually based on Phina, who although from Mystery should still have been referenced via a Navarre. And why the Xander? Because like Chrom? But then why not just use Chrom?

Why did Robin get one with Chrom and Tharja? Why did Corrin get any with the Fates cast? Why did Marth get one with Ceada? There is no rule against having a support with someone they already had one with. Admittedly, Lucina's best match for a Warriors support was probably Oboro.

As for why Xander and not Chrom, they seem to lean to Fates if you haven't noticed. Like redoing one of Tharja and Frederick's supports but with Ryoma instead. Why? 

20 minutes ago, Arthur97 said:

Why did Robin get one with Chrom and Tharja? Why did Corrin get any with the Fates cast? Why did Marth get one with Ceada? There is no rule against having a support with someone they already had one with. Admittedly, Lucina's best match for a Warriors support was probably Oboro.

As for why Xander and not Chrom, they seem to lean to Fates if you haven't noticed. Like redoing one of Tharja and Frederick's supports but with Ryoma instead. Why? 

Well you need somebody from your base game to support with it'd be odd if they didn't, but playing it wholly safe isn't exciting either is repetitive given they have convos in their game of origin. And it takes writing resources away from interactions with characters from the other games, which is what a crossover is supposed to be all about. The key is to balance it, and I guess they preferred Owain and Lissa over Owain and Lucina. But Chrom gets two old supports, so why not the same for Owain? He might be closer to Lucina than Lissa anyhow. Lucina being in the zero club with Celica doesn't make much sense.

As for anyone from Archanea specifically, well they hardly have any interactions with each other in their games of origin.

And is it just me, or is there a bias for Afterthought Princess (Hinoka) in the DLC? She gets 4 DLC supports, as does Ryoma, Leo, and Marth of the non-DLC crew.

2 minutes ago, Interdimensional Observer said:

As for anyone from Archanea specifically, well they hardly have any interactions with each other in their games of origin.

And is it just me, or is there a bias for Afterthought Princess (Hinoka) in the DLC? She gets 4 DLC supports, as does Ryoma, Leo, and Marth of the non-DLC crew.

I listed Marth and Ceada since they probably interacted the most out of any of them.

I don't know the numbers, but I do know I don't like Cordelia and Hinoka's support (base game obviously). Somehow, Cordelia of all people gets beat by Hinoka. Someone who can keep Ryoma on his toes apparently.

Their choices for supports can be off. Like Cordelia not supporting with Minerva despite the former's interest in the whitewings. Instead we got Hinoka. Even Lyn got a DLC support though. Are the Fates VAs just cheaper or something?

2 minutes ago, Arthur97 said:

I listed Marth and Ceada since they probably interacted the most out of any of them.

I don't know the numbers, but I do know I don't like Cordelia and Hinoka's support (base game obviously). Somehow, Cordelia of all people gets beat by Hinoka. Someone who can keep Ryoma on his toes apparently.

Their choices for supports can be off. Like Cordelia not supporting with Minerva despite the former's interest in the whitewings. Instead we got Hinoka. Even Lyn got a DLC support though. Are the Fates VAs just cheaper or something?

I don't think the Fates VAs being cheaper or no would have anything to do with it since that would mean the Japanese Fates VAs are cheaper, and I doubt that's the case and they more so had a contract that lasted till this certain date (Or they were done way beforehand before the DLC's release). I suppose it may just be general bias on KTs part, they must just like the Fates cast (Especially Niles since he has been prevalent in all 3 DLC, not that I'm complaining). Or hell it could be IntSys' favouritism, we just don't know and I doubt we will.

I do agree, there are some characters that should have gotten supports but didn't (Cordy/Minerva, Lucy/Oboro) but c'est la vie, it can't be changed now, unless people write their own.

2 minutes ago, Azz said:

I don't think the Fates VAs being cheaper or no would have anything to do with it since that would mean the Japanese Fates VAs are cheaper, and I doubt that's the case and they more so had a contract that lasted till this certain date (Or they were done way beforehand before the DLC's release). I suppose it may just be general bias on KTs part, they must just like the Fates cast (Especially Niles since he has been prevalent in all 3 DLC, not that I'm complaining). Or hell it could be IntSys' favouritism, we just don't know and I doubt we will.

I do agree, there are some characters that should have gotten supports but didn't (Cordy/Minerva, Lucy/Oboro) but c'est la vie, it can't be changed now, unless people write their own.

If it was IS, do you think they would have kicked Lucina to the curb after insisting she be in it? Unless they really took second (overall without vote adding) place in the CYL really hard.

1 minute ago, Arthur97 said:

If it was IS, do you think they would have kicked Lucina to the curb after insisting she be in it? Unless they really took second (overall without vote adding) place in the CYL really hard.

I doubt the CYL results had any major affect on the game. Lucina was pushed because IS felt she was too important, Lyn got in because she is western Marth and Celica got in because one of the higher ups really liked her. 

Also Lucina was hardly 'kicked to the curb'. Yeah she got no new supports but she got a costume and has supports with pretty much every character she should have with the exception of Oboro and maybe Owain (Debatable since she got one already in their base game). She's not really missing out on much, especially compared to the likes of Celica who also got no new supports and no new costume.

5 minutes ago, Azz said:

I doubt the CYL results had any major affect on the game. Lucina was pushed because IS felt she was too important, Lyn got in because she is western Marth and Celica got in because one of the higher ups really liked her. 

Also Lucina was hardly 'kicked to the curb'. Yeah she got no new supports but she got a costume and has supports with pretty much every character she should have with the exception of Oboro and maybe Owain (Debatable since she got one already in their base game). She's not really missing out on much, especially compared to the likes of Celica who also got no new supports and no new costume.

Eh, I think Lyn got in because of CYL.

She's also hardly present in History maps. Even Owain got more dialogue in them before his DLC. And Celica was a bonus character to boot who got her own history map.

Eh, I think Lyn got in because of CYL.

She's also hardly present in History maps. Even Owain got more dialogue in them before his DLC. And Celica was a bonus character to boot who got her own history map.

Yeah Celica got her own HM map, but Lucina got a lot more character by being the main story then Celica did in her map.

As for Lyn, this game was in development before Hyrule Warriors Legends was released (Or at least it was being planned as it was said Nintendo excecs approached KT with the idea while HWL was in development) which was way before CYL. And while she may have been a late addition, I doubt CYL would have had anything to do with her inclusion. The only I would say it influenced was her reveal. I wouldn't be surprised if she was intended to be a secret but then they saw how popular she really was, and revealed her early to build hype. Though again, we don't know and like Florete would say, it's stupid to start conspiracy theories, especially now that the game is practically done with unless they surprise us with more DLC or release a FEW 2.

10 minutes ago, Azz said:

Though again, we don't know and like Florete would say, it's stupid to start conspiracy theories, especially now that the game is practically done with unless they surprise us with more DLC or release a FEW 2.

Oh, that's me.

But yeah, there is no way Lyn got in because of CYL. Maybe if she was literally just a bonus character with no special dialogue or supports, but there's an entire history mode map with its own illustration dedicated to her, supports, and a moveset that was unique until DLC, which likely would not have been the case if she was added so late. CYL was just a happy coincidence for her.

8 minutes ago, Azz said:

Yeah Celica got her own HM map, but Lucina got a lot more character by being the main story then Celica did in her map.

As for Lyn, this game was in development before Hyrule Warriors Legends was released (Or at least it was being planned as it was said Nintendo excecs approached KT with the idea while HWL was in development) which was way before CYL. And while she may have been a late addition, I doubt CYL would have had anything to do with her inclusion. The only I would say it influenced was her reveal. I wouldn't be surprised if she was intended to be a secret but then they saw how popular she really was, and revealed her early to build hype. Though again, we don't know and like Florete would say, it's stupid to start conspiracy theories, especially now that the game is practically done with unless they surprise us with more DLC or release a FEW 2.

I don't think I want them doing another game. This DLC has really hurt the goodwill I afforded them.

Remember how Frederick's Voice Gallery had that secret "Other 2" Easter Egg at the bottom of it, but no "Other 1" in sight?

Turns out it's in Owain's Voice Gallery. Perhaps, assuming Owain was originally planned to be in the base game before being relegated to DLC, he was listed before Frederick in the code.

8 minutes ago, Anomalocaris said:

Remember how Frederick's Voice Gallery had that secret "Other 2" Easter Egg at the bottom of it, but no "Other 1" in sight?

Turns out it's in Owain's Voice Gallery. Perhaps, assuming Owain was originally planned to be in the base game before being relegated to DLC, he was listed before Frederick in the code.

Weird. Even if he was in the base game, why would Owain be before Frederick? Then again, why do they do anything they do?

Weird. Even if he was in the base game, why would Owain be before Frederick? Then again, why do they do anything they do?

Perhaps he was meant to formally join your team when he appears in Chapter 1, instead of being an NPC. That would put him in the same join chapter as Frederick, at least.

Or, perhaps, he would have been listed below Lissa on the selection screen.

1 minute ago, Anomalocaris said:

Perhaps he was meant to formally join your team when he appears in Chapter 1, instead of being an NPC. That would put him in the same join chapter as Frederick, at least.

Or, perhaps, he would have been listed below Lissa on the selection screen.

The latter might work, but Lucina disproves the former. She is the last Awakening character you recruit in the story but is listed second.

3 minutes ago, Arthur97 said:

The latter might work, but Lucina disproves the former. She is the last Awakening character you recruit in the story but is listed second.

The order that they're listed on the character selection menu might not necessarily coincide with the order that their voice files are sorted by in the game's code.

Though I do suspect the latter option is more likely regardless.

Either way, between this and the dummied-out dialogue and supports, I think it's safe to assume that Owain, Navarre, Oboro, and Niles were supposed to be playable from the start.

Edited by Anomalocaris

1 hour ago, Anomalocaris said:

The order that they're listed on the character selection menu might not necessarily coincide with the order that their voice files are sorted by in the game's code.

This is true. There's clearly an internal order slightly different from the roster order and this can be seen when building supports with Owain, Oboro, Niles, and Navarre. When a support is built between two units, one is shown at the left and the other at the right, and it's determined by this internal order. For example, Rowan is always on the left because he's listed first. The DLC quartet are later in character selection, but listed with their base game group internally. So, for example, Oboro comes just after Takumi, so she appears on the left when she builds support with Sakura and anyone after that. Niles comes after Leo, Navarre after Tiki (I think, not 100%), and I haven't yet noticed where Owain comes, but my guess is that it's just after Lissa*, similar to how Lucina is just after Chrom. So that answers that, hopefully. And it has nothing to do with recruitment order. Selection order is Fates -> Awakening -> Anna -> Shadow Dragon, which is clearly not recruitment order. Heck, we even have Celica listed before Lyn despite her history map being after Lyn's.

I don't think this has anything to do with the question of whether or not they were going to be playable in the base game, though. They existed in the game, playable or not, so they were in the code. My theory is that they could have been playable in the base game, but weren't exactly planned. They were probably just lower priority, and development didn't get to them in time.

*EDIT: I just got him a support with Frederick and Owain is actually listed after him. Interesting.

Edited by Florete

Based on the tips screens, we see that Oboro and Niles are either after Takumi and Leo or after the Hoshidan Royals and Nohrian royals respectively (I can't quite remember), Owain is after Cordelia and before Anna and Navarre is after Ceada and before Tiki.

2 hours ago, Leeoon said:

Is it bad that my favorite part of this DLC is seeing Tharja in HD?

Not at all. I just lucked out that my two favorite male FE characters (Chrom & Robin) ended up being in the base game so I’ve been ecstatic from the start. However, as previously stated this DLC pack brought in their broken armor looks which was a blessing I had never anticipated receiving.

So... One, what does Olivia's promoted outfit look like? I want a screencap. Two, what new mission types do we got?

Edited by Levant Mir Celestia

5 minutes ago, Leeoon said:

It's a stripper outfit.

Yeah... welcome to FEW.

To be fair, her normal outfit is rather stripperiffic as well.

23 hours ago, Arthur97 said:

It's probably more effective to not save several of the villagers which makes those maps kind of counter-intuitive. Why save the villagers at all?

Is there even any consequence if you let all the villagers die?

1 hour ago, Leeoon said:

It's a stripper outfit.

Yeah... welcome to FEW.

I thought her promoted outfit was more tame than her normal one, personally. Then again, it's pretty hard to tell and the cheap bastards always use their standard outfits on the victory screen, so why even have different outfits at all?