Advice for first playthrough(s)

DisobeyedCargo

18 hours ago, DisobeyedCargo said:

Oh dear lord. Friendship sets sound confusing 

Not really. Get A support, click plus if you want the other units class. No worries about one way pairings etc as A+ only affects one unit.

Each unit has 2-3 possible A+ supports but on average only one is actually useful and not redundant with possible S supports so you just take that one.

------------------

If you only get one path take CQ.

------------------

For an easy low-planning clear use 4 early males + wifeu's + Kids + hard supports + freestaves/utility units regardless of the path. Optimal setups don't matter outside LCQ so don't worry about it. +Hpl is by far the best MU boon followed by +mag and just never touch anything else. Talent does not matter.

Edited by joshcja

- if you’re playing for the storyline, it doesn’t really matter which one. They’re all just okay at best. Revelations is hilariously bad at times though.

- as for the characters, I think Conquest is the better choice. Most of the characters are either really great or really awful; you’ll either love or hate them, but Birthrights characters are mostly bland with a few memorable ones. This is just my opinion though. Although if you pick Revelations, it has too many characters but you can use only the characters you like.

- Don’t worry too much about getting the second gen unless you really want them.

- in Conquest and Birthright, certain classes are exclusive, and you won’t be able to get them using seals unless you choose those as the class Corrin can reclass to.

- if you get Birthright, skip the cutscene in chapter 13 if you value your eyes. It doesn’t add anything to the story. (If you must watch it, it’s best not to do so in public or around your family...)

• 3 weeks later...
On 3/28/2018 at 10:19 PM, Levant Mir Celestia said:

As for tips, do NOT wait until chapter 19 before picking up children. ESPECIALLY in the case of Ryoma's son Shiro.

Wow I just saw this almost a month later

how come?

32 minutes ago, DisobeyedCargo said:

how come?

The paralogues become dramatically more difficult at that point (enemies become promoted and have much higher stats, etc).

42 minutes ago, DisobeyedCargo said:

how come?

As was said earlier, the paralogues use exclusively promoted enemies at that point. Certain paralogues become completely awful then (the aforementioned Shiro being one; others include Ignatius, Selkie, Velouria, Forrest, Siegbert, and Sophie).

Edited by Levant Mir Celestia

17 minutes ago, DisobeyedCargo said:

how come?

Because the child units won't promote until you have them use their offspring seals, and thus may become a liability in their paralogues initially.  Shiro's is especially bad because while he may or may not be within the range of enemies, he'll always suicide charge at them as soon as he gets a turn.

Not only that, but using offspring seals is not ideal, especially if you've neglected training one of the child's parents.  It's better if you get them all at a point where they wouldn't even have those seals, though that might require furious grinding or having the couples constantly paired up if the parents come late enough.

And like squid said, the paralogues become much more difficult later on since you'll end up dealing with them as promoted units with access to a wider array of weapons and skills.

A few tips I can give.

If your planning on getting all the 2nd gen units recruited. 2 of them are damn near impossible to get if you wait to long. Get them recruited early so its actually possible to do so. The 2 i'm talking about are

Spoiler

Ryoma's son Shiro, he starts off in the middle of a crowd of enemies as an unpromoted spear fighter. Paralogue enemies scale to how far you are into the story. So if you wait until near the end of the game. Recruiting him will not be possible since he dies from literally everything turn 2. And he is so far away from where your units start. Get him early so he can atleast hold his own.

Spoiler

The second one is Benny's son Ignatius. He starts off on the far end of the map defending a village. Same as Shiro, waiting to long into the game will make it far more difficult to get him. He may survive an extra few hits though since he's an armor knight. But still an unpromoted armor knight taking on level 15+ promoted enemies will not last long.

For a first run, DO NOT use the online features where you can inherit skills for cheap. It breaks the game, go ahead and do it on repeat playthroughs though. But for your first run, its best to enjoy the game for what it is. Don't try to break it on your first run.

Ryoma is one of the most overpowered units in FE history when he joins in birthright. So if you want any kind of challenge in birthright, bench him right away. He can practically solo the entire game without effort. Same goes for Xander in conquest, but to a lesser degree.

Other then that, just enjoy it. The game as a whole is quite fun for a first playthrough. And then its even more fun trying to intentionally break the game on repeat playthroughs. But I would recomend holding off on the whole intentionally breaking things until you finish your first run. Its more fun that way.