What are some things you want to continue to see in FE?

• The range of Echoes bows. Maybe with a few adjustments in the next game, but they made archers unique and practical.
  • Third Tier promotions and/or different promotion classes. They're both interesting mechanics that work very well.
  • Continue putting twists on archetypes, whether it be through classes and/or personalities.
  • Each support system did something right and something wrong, but regardless, it's a unique mechanic that provides both gameplay bonuses and character development.
  • The grounded class designs of Echoes.
  • From it's inception, the series manages to be very dark and deals with mature topics, while not overstepping their boundaries and for keeping the games rated T. Even the more lighthearted entries aren't afraid to show this aspect of Fire Emblem.

• Echoes-styled Archers
  • Mila's Turnwheel
  • Arts (not Skills)
  • Actually varied maps and victory conditions
  • Smaller number of Support options (but not too small to the point to where you question why certain characters can't Support each other)
  • That thing where it zooms into the map whenever a battle starts. That was cool.
  • The smooth cutscenes of Awakening and Fates. For as amazing as Echoes' art style was, it's cutscenes were.......
  • Full voice acting
  • No weapon durability.
  • The battle theme being the "ablaze" version of the map theme.
  • Echoes-style forging.
  • If Monster units are gonna keep being a thing, have them be varied and not just zombified versions of normal classes *looks at Risen and Vallietes*
Edited by Armagon

10 minutes ago, Armagon said:
  • Mila's Turnwheel (fewer charges though)
  • Arts (not proc% Skills)
  • Actually varied maps and victory conditions
  • Smaller number of Support options (mainly in the S support pool)
  • That thing where it zooms into the map whenever a battle starts. That was cool.
  • Full voice acting
  • The battle theme being the "ablaze" version of the map theme.
  • Echoes-style forging.
  • If Monster units are gonna keep being a thing, have them be varied and not just zombified versions of normal classes

You covered most of my wishlist.

Aside from that I'd like to see weapon skills besides combat arts, mobility skills (swap, shove, etc.), and class-exclusive skills a la Echoes return.

In Echoes, I really really really REALLY loved how every unit got their own victory animations.

As stated before, echoes archers were great, they just needed a bit higher hit rates.

Really anything in the series that differentiates units. Stuff like personal skills and having their own special palette/battle sprite.

I just love that stuff.

13 minutes ago, Tuvy said:

In Echoes, I really really really REALLY loved how every unit got their own victory animations.

Oh yeah, this was really cool as well. It gave every unit his or her own identity. Definitely would like to see this in the future.

As long as it's in a different fashion from them being main characters, I'd love to see more character customization. I think they should be limited to optional units that have no impact on the story, but there is potential for customizing to work, contrary to the flak it gets due to its association with the avatars of existing games.

I also would love to see more full voice acting, too.

I have said it before, but dang it I want thieves to be able to steal stuff again I was so sad when the 3DS games took that away.  The really fun part about using thieves in the earlier games was once you trained them you could walk up to an enemy and steal their unequipped items.  I was so peeved when I found out that special thing was taken away from thieves, it made my use of them decline from fully training one up per game to only using them on maps with chests.

• Shields, Rings and other equipment besides standard weapons.
  • Echoes' magic system of having learnable spells instead of equipable tomes, maybe combined with Tellius', in that there are different elements that have advantages and disadvantages over each other
  • Full voice acting
  • unique victory animations for different characters
  • in-battle reactions to other characters. It makes battles feel more alive and gives additional context to character relationships
  • some kind of home base you can fool around and buy stuff in, like My Castle
  • a traversable world map
  • dungeon crawling, if it fits the setting / story
  • level-based promotion (like in the Tellius games)
  • Arts, though I'd like if they made it so you could still use certain Arts after you've learned them and switched to another weapon / item (maybe make some of the stronger Arts like Dragonhaze unique to that weapon, but things like Swap or Shove don't really need to be weapon / item-bound, in my opinion)
  • FE5-style capturing
  • Echoes' character designer(s)
  • different kinds of shapeshifters
  • strong 1-2 range options for every weapon class
  • a singular attack stat that determines both physical and magic damage
Edited by DragonFlames

Avatars. Just done properly and as an occasional thing. Not as a thing that has to be in every game.

Bows, Magic, and Pegasus Knights as they were treated in Echoes.

My Castle and other online vs modes.

Dungeons like in SoV.

World Building. I feel Echoes and Awakening did it much better than Fates.

Item stealing like thieves can do in Blazing Blade.

Full Voice Acting.

Dialogue from the non-lords (like in SoV)

2 hours ago, DragonFlames said:

Echoes' magic system of having learnable spells instead of equipable tomes, maybe combined with Tellius', in that there are different elements that have advantages and disadvantages over each other

I just thought of something. Have Echoes' magic system but also have the option to buy Tomes that allow Mages to learn new spells that they otherwise couldn't (class restrictions will apply).

Don't know if they should keep the set hit-rates though. It worked in Echoes because of how terrain worked there but in other games.......

Then again, Echoes is pretty much the only FE where terrain actually matters. I want future FE games to have actually important terrain. Then the set hit-rates for magic can be justified.

I'd definitely want to see Echoes style archers to be kept.

Magic being "learned" rather than "read".

I'd like to see more types of laguz-style classes (and I don't mean the half-assed taguel they put in Awakening), or even just mythical creatures in general.

Monster classes that are monster classes (AKA not Risen/Vallites). 

Switching parties like in RD rather than Echoes because of the different goals and ideals (sorta) that they've had.

Thieves having their own neutral weapons.

I kinda like the art system in echoes, but I prefer skills more. But no class skills, only personal ones. 

They should definitely keep a lot of that good stuff that echoes added. Things like full voice acting, greater presentation value, more screentime for the supporting cast and Mila's turnwheel.

But most importantly I think they should keep the echoes systems for mages and archers. Having Mages surrender some health in exchange for the ability to ignore terrain effects or tactical benefits like greater reach or higher crit chances would make magic even more interesting. For Archers its even more beneficial for them to remain how they were in Echoes. For once Archers finally had a niche of their own rather then mages sharing their most significant boon without their crippling bane. 

Since nobody else has mentioned it, I want the over-the-top super-special-awesome anime-style attack(and especially Crit) animations - to quote the Fire Emblem Honest Trailer, "Holy crap, did that girl just split into four other girls?"

Guest Dreamyboi

Villains with backstories that explain their actions other than "possessed by dragon/magic". It's why I was able to appreciate Fernand, even if part of his characterization was left behind two DLC maps. IntSys REALLY needs to stop doing that

11 minutes ago, SoulWeaver said:

Since nobody else has mentioned it, I want the over-the-top super-special-awesome anime-style attack(and especially Crit) animations - to quote the Fire Emblem Honest Trailer, "Holy crap, did that girl just split into four other girls?"

I agree.

They've been slowly going back to that. Echoes was still a little vanilla in this regard, but the animations have been gradually getting back to being over the top after Awakening just had "Every special attack is just a jumping attack or a slightly longer animation with a cut-in".

I doubt after the move to 3D that we'll ever get back to the elegant-but-crazy GBA era as far as ridiculous animations are concerned, but at least getting back to the Tellius era would be nice. 

20 minutes ago, SoulWeaver said:

If they can adapt the crazy, over-the-top animations from the GBA days into 3D while still keeping the critical quotes and the freeze for the cut-in, I'm all for that. It'll be like the ultimate battle animation.

Shipping characters. I wholeheartedly disagree with the idea of limiting this feature. In my eyes, a duo with unexpected chemistry outweighs the risk of silly or directionless supports. Plus “gimiky” supports can be very funny and enjoyable

Being able to get every C-A support in one playthough

Full voice acting

A choice between casual and classic mode

37 minutes ago, redtutel said:

In my eyes, a duo with unexpected chemistry outweighs the risk of silly or directionless supports.

I don't understand this. A Support convo between two characters with bad chemistry can work if it's written well but i don't see how it outweighs the risk of "silly or directionless" Supports, when, if anything, Supports between characters with good chemistry tend to be better written. The real issue is the S-Supports. For example, Kaden x Peri. Peri literally threatens to kill Kaden if he doesn't marry her. At the end of the day, ship who you want but it can't be denied that most of the S-Supports in the series suffer because of an extreme lack of chemistry.

41 minutes ago, redtutel said:

Plus “gimiky” supports can be very funny and enjoyable

If it's done right. Owain is one of my favorite characters. He's got his gimmick but also a legitimate backstory. Faye's also another good gimmick character (*insert people disagreeing with me here*) because her gimmick is treated as a serious problem and not a "haha funny joke" like most of the gimmicky characters in the series. But then you've got Kellam, who is literally just "my entire character revolves around the joke that no one can see me. If you don't find it funny, too bad". 

1 hour ago, Armagon said:

If it's done right. Owain is one of my favorite characters. He's got his gimmick but also a legitimate backstory. Faye's also another good gimmick character (*insert people disagreeing with me here*) because her gimmick is treated as a serious problem and not a "haha funny joke" like most of the gimmicky characters in the series. But then you've got Kellam, who is literally just "my entire character revolves around the joke that no one can see me. If you don't find it funny, too bad". 

Using Kellam as an example, gimmicks can also make OTHER characters look bad. 

The dude's a hometown hero. Obviously people outside if the Shepherds pay attention to him. But within the Shepherds, nobody gives a rat's ass about Kellam, and they outright ignore him. If you try to look into Kellam's character like. At all, it makes the Shepherds look like a bunch of assholes who deliberately ignore a competent member of their group for literally no reason. 

Peri, likewise, is a gimmick character whose gimmick makes everyone around her look bad. 

It's not worth the half-assed writing to potentially drag down an entire cast of characters.