Worst Level in Fates?

Ragnellius

7 hours ago, joshcja said:

I really like how you try to pretend that this entirely player controled game is not entirely player controled.

As soon as RNG enters the picture, full player control is NOT something a game can claim to have for itself.

It only takes one or two bad level ups in prior chapters to screw you over for current or future chapters. A prime example is the horrid Chapter 4, where Corrin absolutely NEEDS to have at least 11 Strength, 12 Speed (without Kaze Pair-Up) and 10 Defence to make reliably reaching Hinoka and Sakura before the Faceless get to them a possibility on Hard Mode. Have too little Strength? The Faceless survive and Seal Defence effs you over. Have too little Speed? You can't double and Seal Defence effs you over. Too little Defence? They don't even need Seal Defence to kill you in 3 hits. Too little of everything? I don't know how to tell you this, but... you have to restart the entire playthrough. TOO BAD!

Edited by DragonFlames

• Replies 59
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

8 hours ago, joshcja said:

I really like how you try to pretend that this entirely player controled game is not entirely player controled.

The part where you're intentionally ignorant as absolute fuck to the meaning of words in the english language.

---------------------------------------------

Seriously make a playlog sometime.

I want to see this mythical "No Units, No items of any kind, no maps" run.

If you think the game's just going to bend over backwards, you need to get your head checked...

The fact you just stopped so low as to insult me makes me even less inclined to take you seriously than I already was... Not that you were ever worth taking seriously.

Edited by Levant Mir Celestia

3 hours ago, DragonFlames said:

As soon as RNG enters the picture, full player control is NOT something a game can claim to have for itself.

It only takes one or two bad level ups in prior chapters to screw you over for current or future chapters. A prime example is the horrid Chapter 4, where Corrin absolutely NEEDS to have at least 11 Strength, 12 Speed (without Kaze Pair-Up) and 10 Defence to make reliably reaching Hinoka and Sakura before the Faceless get to them a possibility on Hard Mode. Have too little Strength? The Faceless survive and Seal Defence effs you over. Have too little Speed? You can't double and Seal Defence effs you over. Too little Defence? They don't even need Seal Defence to kill you in 3 hits. Too little of everything? I don't know how to tell you this, but... you have to restart the entire playthrough. TOO BAD!

No. +Useless/-Def Corn can just stand on a mountain near the middle and clear that map on Lunatic in complete safety while securing 5 kills on whoever (normally on Kaze) and the bosskill on Corn.

For complete safety just hit the first DV throw a rock on your DS and let Ryoma take a walk. Hinoka and Sakura Do Not Matter.

Bad RNG or a bad start will determine the number of vulnary charges used in the "risky" clear but dieing with the worst possible stats is improbable enough to be considered a full blown Act Of God.

----------------------

There are consistant 0% growth clears of this game on lunatic with no skill buy/dlc/path/MC rewards.

-------------------

The player controls the game, with an actual fucking controller, in a turn based setting with no time limit. Where the game responds based on player inputs and known turn/movement based triggers. So unless your DS has joined the Singularity (Check for the skynet logo. I may be wrong on this one...) you have complete control.

The player determines the relevancy of the RNG with the quality of their tactics and strategy. At the low end of preperation the game is still winnable in box condition via high risk, at the high end there is no relevant risk. This is why CQ is considered a very good game from a gameplay standpoint.

(Ignoring challange runs made up by some bored nerds to reintroduce risk, and dlc made to let normies buy some skillz)

Edited by joshcja

1 hour ago, joshcja said:

Bad RNG or a bad start will determine the number of vulnary charges used in the "risky" clear but dieing with the worst possible stats is improbable enough to be considered a full blown Act Of God.

There are consistant 0% growth clears of this game on lunatic with no skill buy/dlc/path/MC rewards.

Then praise Jesus you aren't us. 0% is the game of an obsessed control freak that relies too heavily upon tonics, and you know what? There are better things to spend gold on than cheap temp stat boosters. Like permanent stat boosters and seals. Because Conquest is a miserly game trying to be nostalgic, and it fails at both due to the things you mentioned that aren't needed.

10 hours ago, Dark Holy Elf said:

Status staves are great in Conquest. I can't even imagine doing Lunatic without them, but they're great even on lower difficulties. Freeze, the bread-and-butter one, is often a "get out of one mistake free" card which I use if I realise I placed someone in a dangerous location to them.

Takumi has terrible Res so he's easy to hit with them, contrary to the second half of your statement. Not that I've ever personally hit Takumi with a status staff since the strategy I've already detailed already wins reliably so no need to waste a resource I consider, unlike you, to be quite valuable.

The thing is, if I may be frank, with the exception of the Jugdral games, the FE series has a big problem with making status ailments worthwhile for the player... status ailments were very rarely worth using, in large part because enemies were very seldom threatening to the point where hitting them with sleep, berserk, or silence (good luck with this one in particular, knowing that mages tend to have high resistance) would actually be a necessity. It doesn't help that status ailments are mostly inflicted through staves, which tend to be very rare and have very few uses (the exceptions being in Genealogy, which had swords that could inflict ailments on units hit with them, Shadows of Valentia, where some combat arts inflicted status ailments to hit units, and poison in general). Which isn't really ideal when far more often than not, healers can contribute more by healing, warping, or attacking than trying to cripple some random mook. Because let's face it, if it's worth trying to status, chances are it's hard to hit with status in the first place, if not outright immune. And as far as I'm concerned, Fates is no Etrian Odyssey.

I wonder just how reliable your strategy really is when I break it to you that Takumi is even more evasive than Kotaro...  Xander might be able to survive, but can he hit reliably??  Using a level 14 Xander, he has 23 skill and 27.5 luck. Siegfried has 80 base hit. 23 skill is 34.5 hit, and 28 luck is 14 hit. That adds up to 128 base hit. Even assuming A swords, that's 143 hit, which, against Takumi's 94 avoid, comes out to... 49 hit. So Xander struggles to hit consistently, meaning the final verdict is.... No! And while Takumi has terrible resistance, him being on a throne means that massive 30 avoid bonus slashes your chance of freezing or enfeebling him significantly.

Edited by Levant Mir Celestia

45 minutes ago, Hylian Air Force said:

Then praise Jesus you aren't us. 0% is the game of an obsessed control freak that relies too heavily upon tonics, and you know what? There are better things to spend gold on than cheap temp stat boosters. Like permanent stat boosters and seals. Because Conquest is a miserly game trying to be nostalgic, and it fails at both due to the things you mentioned that aren't needed.

So people who are good at strategy games?

----------------------

CQ gives the most resources of any path by a staggering margin and grind resources are infinite on all paths because lilith/lotto so let's ignore postend...

Boosters run 10k a pop you can tonic 67 times or reclass 5 times for that tag.

Tonicing any stat for the full game costs 3,300.

+2 Iron runs 4,000

Seals are 2,000 a pop and can give up to +11 damage per-use. 

So hierarchy of cost effectiveness for damage is:

Speed Tonic to double, Braves, Seals to double, Speedwing to double, Seals, Silvers, Forge to +2 iron or +1 steel, Tonics, Anything under 10k, Boosters.

For survivability it's:

Seals, Tonics, More tonics, Boosters.

Math is hard.

Edited by joshcja

Fort Dragonfall in Birthright. You're in a fortress carved into the remains of a dead dragon who then suddenly starts being not so dead. Its one of the more interesting concepts in the game.

H-how on earth do you take such a concept and make it BORING!? Nothing more than boring grey stone and BORING faceless with their BORING tactics and BORING easy difficulty. 

4 minutes ago, Etrurian emperor said:

H-how on earth do you take such a concept and make it BORING!? Nothing more than boring grey stone and BORING faceless with their BORING tactics and BORING easy difficulty.

Well apparently some of the Faceless learned how to pick locks in that fight, wouldn't expect dexterity from those things.

Although Birthright does have a severely underpowered and boring mid-lategame. It starts around Chapter 14 you could say, but 17-21 is certainly the worst of it. An Ice Tribe you don't actually have to fight much of, Leo's pathetic swamp, the Sevenfold strange stats Sanctuary, Fort Easy, and then the tedious Demon's Falls. It takes until 22 for fights to become fun and challenging again, except things quickly spiral into the game just throwing hordes of strong enemies at you with little tactics involved.

Honestly, early-mid BR was fun, it's the latter half that is a bit more of a slog.

17-21 is coincidentally Mokushu to Eternal Stairway on CQ, which is also possibly the nastiest and most disliked bunch of chapters of that route.

6 minutes ago, Interdimensional Observer said:

Well apparently some of the Faceless learned how to pick locks in that fight, wouldn't expect dexterity from those things.

Although Birthright does have a severely underpowered and boring mid-lategame. It starts around Chapter 14 you could say, but 17-21 is certainly the worst of it. An Ice Tribe you don't actually have to fight much of, Leo's pathetic swamp, the Sevenfold strange stats Sanctuary, Fort Easy, and then the tedious Demon's Falls. It takes until 22 for fights to become fun and challenging again, except things quickly spiral into the game just throwing hordes of strong enemies at you with little tactics involved.

Honestly, early-mid BR was fun, it's the latter half that is a bit more of a slog.

17-21 is coincidentally Mokushu to Eternal Stairway on CQ, which is also possibly the nastiest and most disliked bunch of chapters of that route.

Faceless picking locks? The game really should have done something fun with that :):

I hear a lot of dislike for the dreaded ninja cave. My brother in particularly hates it. I always really loved the gameplay of that level though(Even if storywise they fight for the most absurd reason). I felt it had an interesting cast of enemies ranging from ninja's, puppeteers and robot puppets while opening and closing pathways led to interesting decisions on the players part. Yeah, It was hard and I messed up a lot but I had fun doing it. 

1 minute ago, Etrurian emperor said:

I hear a lot of dislike for the dreaded ninja cave. My brother in particularly hates it. I always really loved the gameplay of that level though(Even if storywise they fight for the most absurd reason). I felt it had an interesting cast of enemies ranging from ninja's, puppeteers and robot puppets while opening and closing pathways led to interesting decisions on the players part. Yeah, It was hard and I messed up a lot but I had fun doing it. 

If keeping Saizo alive gave a Secret Book instead of Speedwing, I'd just let him die 80% of the time and be able play it worry free if slowly. IS knew well what the best permanent stat booster generally is considered to be, and so they gave it to Saizo. And the chapter did suit the theme of a ninja den very well- underhanded tactics and unorthodox fighting is the ninja way. Making a map that plays to the enemy's strengths would indicate the enemies are actually smart about their geographical picks for battle.

And while I don't like the Wind Tribe battle very much, I did smile once on the most recent time I did it. On Lunatic three Falcoes guard Hayato, who has a Hexing Rod and you should try to kill him in one turn because of it. Using a Dragon Vein allowed me to whisk away those Falcoes and safely get either Camilla or Dark Flier Leo (his best class I think if you have DLC +6 Spd and flight are so good) to ORKO him without the Hexing ever cast. I liked being strategic. And between Siegbert, Camilla, Xander, Percy and Leo, when I get to doing Hinoka's second battle on CQ, I'll have enough fliers to really have some flexibility concerning DV usage there, which will be interesting.