Valentia Accordion Translation Project Thread

2 minutes ago, Sbuscoz said:

I thought it was the other way arround. Wasn't Camus the one who told Nyna to forget him? I don't think he would return for her after that, though I can see him watching over Grust though.

They're actually BOTH at fault. Camus may have been loyal, but that didn't stop his heart and feelings for Nyna guide him. Nyna tried to kill herself when she was about to be captured, and he told her not to do that, and then when Medeus kept ordering to have Nyna turned to him so she would be executed, he let her go. By all means, had he been a case of 100% loyal to nation and didn't follow his heart once, he would never have allowed Nyna to leave and given her up. But his feelings and belief that Nyna could lead the nation to peace made him go against his orders. 

Nyna on the other hand is in the end very immature. She was about to kill herself when she was beaten by Dolhr-Grust alliance, and she wasn't able to truly embrace her duty because of her feelings for Camus. Though she accepted Hardin's marriage, she didn't allow herself to move past Camus and thus this led to Hardin falling to despair.

• Replies 551
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

3 minutes ago, omegaxis1 said:

They're actually BOTH at fault. Camus may have been loyal, but that didn't stop his heart and feelings for Nyna guide him. Nyna tried to kill herself when she was about to be captured, and he told her not to do that, and then when Medeus kept ordering to have Nyna turned to him so she would be executed, he let her go. By all means, had he been a case of 100% loyal to nation and didn't follow his heart once, he would never have allowed Nyna to leave and given her up. But his feelings and belief that Nyna could lead the nation to peace made him go against his orders. 

Nyna on the other hand is in the end very immature. She was about to kill herself when she was beaten by Dolhr-Grust alliance, and she wasn't able to truly embrace her duty because of her feelings for Camus. Though she accepted Hardin's marriage, she didn't allow herself to move past Camus and thus this led to Hardin falling to despair.

I'm not saying that Camus didn't love her more than his kingdom, I'm saying that as of FE3 he has someone else he loves more than her, and the reason he returned when he heard about the was it was because he felt partially responsible and wanted put an end to their relationship, and so he does at the end of the game imo.Not saying that he wouldn't think about her from time to time, but I don't think he would risk Tatiana's happiness to watch over Nyna, to whom he already had said to forget about him.

4 minutes ago, Sbuscoz said:

I'm not saying that Camus didn't love her more than his kingdom, I'm saying that as of FE3 he has someone else he loves more than her, and the reason he returned when he heard about the was it was because he felt partially responsible and wanted put an end to their relationship, and so he does at the end of the game imo.Not saying that he wouldn't think about her from time to time, but I don't think he would risk Tatiana's happiness to watch over Nyna, to whom he already had said to forget about him.

Does he love Tatiana more than Nyna? The moment that Camus found out Nyna was in danger and Hardin went mad, he left her immediately to go stop Hardin and save Nyna. He does love Tatiana, but I don't think that it's the kind of love that he had for Nyna, and Camus is not able to fully let go of her as she can't do for him. The only reason he doesn't stay in Archanea is explained with his support with Belf:

Sirius:
For argument's sake, if I were in fact the Grustian general you claim I am, Sir Belf... What do you think would result from my revealing myself? A resistance would rise, and I would be their symbol. I would provide the impetus needed to free Grust. I hardly think now is the time for further Grustian blood to be spilt.

Camus CAN'T come back to Archanea. He's practically a legend in and of itself. He holds a charisma and skill as a leader that many admire. He cannot stay in Archanea solely for Tatiana, but because his presence is a danger to others. 

He never tells Tatiana that he regained his memories, and though it says its because he doesn't want to hurt her feelings, if he truly loved her most, he would tell her and assure her that he would be with her instead. Because Tatiana clearly has this fear of Camus leaving her if he remembers. 

2 minutes ago, omegaxis1 said:

Does he love Tatiana more than Nyna? The moment that Camus found out Nyna was in danger and Hardin went mad, he left her immediately to go stop Hardin and save Nyna. He does love Tatiana, but I don't think that it's the kind of love that he had for Nyna, and Camus is not able to fully let go of her as she can't do for him. The only reason he doesn't stay in Archanea is explained with his support with Belf:

Camus CAN'T come back to Archanea. He's practically a legend in and of itself. He holds a charisma and skill as a leader that many admire. He cannot stay in Archanea solely for Tatiana, but because his presence is a danger to others. 

He never tells Tatiana that he regained his memories, and though it says its because he doesn't want to hurt her feelings, if he truly loved her most, he would tell her and assure her that he would be with her instead. Because Tatiana clearly has this fear of Camus leaving her if he remembers. 

I still think that he return to Archanea because he feels responsible more than because of his love. He clearly still has some feelings for her, but let's not forget that when she asks him in SD to come with Marth he refuses even if she is there.

Nyna disappears at the end of FE3, after leaving Archanea to Marth, if Camus wanted he could live with her in some random town without having to reveal his identity.

In my opinion, Camus likely returned to wrap up any lose ends pertaining Archanea. I mean, we first see him as Sirius helping Ogma protect Grust's royal children, after all. Even if it was geographically convenience that they were in his path, he still decided to help them.

24 minutes ago, omegaxis1 said:

Does he love Tatiana more than Nyna? The moment that Camus found out Nyna was in danger and Hardin went mad, he left her immediately to go stop Hardin and save Nyna. He does love Tatiana, but I don't think that it's the kind of love that he had for Nyna, and Camus is not able to fully let go of her as she can't do for him.

Well, love ain't exactly logical. Perhaps he does feel it's better that way. It's not like he can know if Tatiana would take the revelation well, or could get over it. Unless he places it to the test, but then there's no going back. Some couples take risks, some couples play it safe. Does it make one better than the other or any more or less likely to fall apart? Could be, but sometimes, odds can be defied.

Maybe it's my opinion, but I'd see him going over and help stop Hardin even if Nyna didn't need saving. He'd still feel responsible, considering it was Nyna's love for him that drove Hardin off the edge.

44 minutes ago, Sbuscoz said:

I still think that he return to Archanea because he feels responsible more than because of his love. He clearly still has some feelings for her, but let's not forget that when she asks him in SD to come with Marth he refuses even if she is there.

Nyna disappears at the end of FE3, after leaving Archanea to Marth, if Camus wanted he could live with her in some random town without having to reveal his identity.

28 minutes ago, Acacia Sgt said:

In my opinion, Camus likely returned to wrap up any lose ends pertaining Archanea. I mean, we first see him as Sirius helping Ogma protect Grust's royal children, after all. Even if it was geographically convenience that they were in his path, he still decided to help them.

Well, love ain't exactly logical. Perhaps he does feel it's better that way. It's not like he can know if Tatiana would take the revelation well, or could get over it. Unless he places it to the test, but then there's no going back. Some couples take risks, some couples play it safe. Does it make one better than the other or any more or less likely to fall apart? Could be, but sometimes, odds can be defied.

Maybe it's my opinion, but I'd see him going over and help stop Hardin even if Nyna didn't need saving. He'd still feel responsible, considering it was Nyna's love for him that drove Hardin off the edge.

Ah, but this is where we take the issue with Camus's sense of loyalty and responsibility into account. Camus even as Zeke, makes several hints that his past love with Nyna hasn't faded. Hell, when he was found by Tatiana, he muttered Nyna's name. His death quote has him mentioning Tatiana, but immediately he sees Nyna and recognizes her, showing his feelings for her are that strong even at death as she becomes the last thing he remembers both before his memory loss and at death. 

And because he cannot return to Archanea and because he's with Tatiana, at that point, he simply can't be with Nyna, because it goes back to his sense of responsibility. Camus is basically dead, and he is Zeke, and he's with Tatiana. And that prevents him from returning to Nyna as well. 

My belief is that Nyna giving the throne to Marth and then disappearing, she went to confront Camus, and then possibly let him go for real this time so that she can truly move on. After how she was the reason for Hardin's madness, she could not fulfill what Camus asked her to and even caused her people to suffer. The sense of guilt would be immense on Nyna and she would likely feel she has no right to be with him any longer, so she lets him go and tries to focus on atoning for her sins. 

I got a quick question of the Artwork Scans of the Playable Characters and some of the major NPCs and Enemies that was shown in that link on the first post of the thread. I was browsing through the scans to take a look at some the NOJ names that I wanted to put it down and mark it on the Name Chart for Gaiden and Echoes: Shadows of Valentia that I am working on it to fill in some of the sections for the name chart, are those scans of the official artworks are completely uneditted and did the author of the Fire Emblem Echoes: Shadows of Valentia Accordion book did used all the localized names of the character's names that were used from 8-4's Localization except for Randal. (which he seemed to be the only playable character in the Artwork section for the Artbook that didn't used his localized name) I'm pretty surprised to see they managed to use the localized names instead of reusing the NOJ names that were from the credits from Gaiden and other Japan-only medias before Echoes: Shadows of Valentia was announced since I did saw they managed to use "Valentia" instead of Valentia's NOJ name (Barensia) in the official Japanese website for Fire Emblem Echoes: Shadows of Valentia.

And speaking of which, did they managed to show the names (the ones that were showed in Big Golden Colors similar to like the ones in the Playable and major NPCs/Enemies Artwork section) of the other enemies in their portrait artwork selection and the other NPCs such as Lima VI (if he has one or probably used the CG Artwork from the Beginning of the game), Liprica, Irma, Halycon, and those Illusion Soldiers as well, maybe classes, items, and other things that were shown in the Artbook? I wanted to take a look and see what they have showed off since the credits from Gaiden only showed off some of the major and few minor bosses.

Edited by King Marth 64

7 hours ago, King Marth 64 said:

I got a quick question of the Artwork Scans of the Playable Characters and some of the major NPCs and Enemies that was shown in that link on the first post of the thread. I was browsing through the scans to take a look at some the NOJ names that I wanted to put it down and mark it on the Name Chart for Gaiden and Echoes: Shadows of Valentia that I am working on it to fill in some of the sections for the name chart, are those scans of the official artworks are completely uneditted and did the author of the Fire Emblem Echoes: Shadows of Valentia Accordion book did used all the localized names of the character's names that were used from 8-4's Localization except for Randal. (which he seemed to be the only playable character in the Artwork section for the Artbook that didn't used his localized name) I'm pretty surprised to see they managed to use the localized names instead of reusing the NOJ names that were from the credits from Gaiden and other Japan-only medias before Echoes: Shadows of Valentia was announced since I did saw they managed to use "Valentia" instead of Valentia's NOJ name (Barensia) in the official Japanese website for Fire Emblem Echoes: Shadows of Valentia.

The names are unedited, yeah. It shouldn't be surprising that they used the localised names because Nintendo Japan and Nintendo of America are the same company. But Randal having his Japanese name is probably an oversight, since he and the other Cipher characters are DLC.

I remember there being a similar case with Fates. Some of the Japanese comics/novels refer to it as Fire Emblem Fates, even though it's Fire Emblem if in Japan.

I'm assuming very few Japanese people bother to read the English, so they just pick from whatever list they feel like (in this case, the list of localised names).

Edited by VincentASM

On 4/10/2018 at 5:06 PM, Mysterique Sign said:

@Kirokan Does Alm have extra artworks like Celica?

He does, though not as many. I'll get them up later on.

13 hours ago, VincentASM said:

The names are unedited, yeah. It shouldn't be surprising that they used the localised names because Nintendo Japan and Nintendo of America are the same company. But Randal having his Japanese name is probably an oversight, since he and the other Cipher characters are DLC.

I remember there being a similar case with Fates. Some of the Japanese comics/novels refer to it as Fire Emblem Fates, even though it's Fire Emblem if in Japan.

I'm assuming very few Japanese people bother to read the English, so they just pick from whatever list they feel like (in this case, the list of localised names).

21 hours ago, King Marth 64 said:

And speaking of which, did they managed to show the names (the ones that were showed in Big Golden Colors similar to like the ones in the Playable and major NPCs/Enemies Artwork section) of the other enemies in their portrait artwork selection and the other NPCs such as Lima VI (if he has one or probably used the CG Artwork from the Beginning of the game), Liprica, Irma, Halycon, and those Illusion Soldiers as well, maybe classes, items, and other things that were shown in the Artbook? I wanted to take a look and see what they have showed off since the credits from Gaiden only showed off some of the major and few minor bosses.

The communication has been better between the two, too. I believe Echoes was the first FE game that was concurrently localized while in development (hence its much thinner date range between Japanese and localized release), though I do not have a source for this, just a guess. It would likely mean NoJ had access to the localized names with ease and were aware of such. Either way they saved me a lot of trouble aside from poor Randal!

Double post, but phew big update here! Thanks to the many translators (including VincentASM) for coming together to help. I also did Duma's profile as well as the first concept art pages! A lot to read through, enjoy!

095 Clive and Clair
098 Delthea and Luthier

119 Rinea
120 Mila
121 Duma
124 Emma and Randal
125 Yuzu and Shade
Terrors 138 | 139 | 140 | 141 | 142 |

162 NPCs/Antagonists (Desaix, Slayde, Nuibaba, etc)
163 NPCs/Antagonists (Lima IV, Duma, etc)

Most notable is the Nuibaba trivia that many knew about but nice to see on the page too. The rest is mostly run of the mill stuff from the game.

The Clive and Clair were decent, I liked the "two brothers" bit in Clair's. A tad sad Clive's talents as a commander aren't present in gameplay- he'd benefit from a passive buff to all nearby allies that isn't a support boost.

Nothing on Delthea and Luthier being a descendant of Zofian royalty, oh well. 

For Rinea- it'd be nice to know the details of the power struggle her father lost and how it affected her.

Mila, earlier I think it was suggested she almost locked herself inside Mila Temple due to degeneration. I don't see that here. But it isn't a bad profile.

Duma "enter a deep sleep" euphemism for death? Or not saying they exactly died? He doesn't look bad in humanoid form by the way, a little evil, but not bad.

The Cipher bunch doesn't say much, understandably.

For the villains/NPCs, the Nuibaba bit was nice, and it is good with Tatarrah that they say the Duma Faithful are not even really human anymore. Lima IV is one ugly and shirtless monarch. I guess he preferred doing drugs and sex to eating? Duma's gentler expression was a touch humanizing, and I wouldn't mind seeing him charge into battle, the related Fiend bit was novel.

Now for the Terrors:

When they say "flying dragon" in the Necrodragon profile, do they mean Wyverns like the fire-breathing bow-weak units in FE3/12? If so, maybe their wings let them fly across the Seaway to Valentia?

Gargoyles are literally sentient stone? Okay.

Entombed could be finely dressed noble servants instead of nobles? That would explain how there can be so many.

18 hours ago, VincentASM said:

I kinda think that could be the case. I did saw those official Pin badges that they showed off Alm and Celica that they managed to use their localized name instead of using their other NOJ name that was from the ingame credit from Gaiden while they didn't seemed to fix Soren's, Lyn's, Robin's, and Leo's since I did see those four didn't looked like the developers haven't change their NOJ name to their localized name on their official Pin badges sadly while Leon from Fire Emblem Gaiden and Echoes: Shadows of Valentia did swapped Leo their names in the localization and Leon's did managed to go by Leon instead of Leo in the Fire Emblem Echoes: Shadows of Valentia Memorial Book Valentia Accordion.

Edited by King Marth 64

47 minutes ago, omegaxis1 said:

Wait, didn't it say that White Dragons are dragons that are dragons that have been reanimated? Now we learn they are Archanean Dragons that, though lack dragon breath, are very strong.

I knew it! Even when the game's text directly proves me wrong, I'm still right!

8 hours ago, Interdimensional Observer said:

When they say "flying dragon" in the Necrodragon profile, do they mean Wyverns like the fire-breathing bow-weak units in FE3/12? If so, maybe their wings let them fly across the Seaway to Valentia?

I'd think so. Wyverns are called Flying Dragons in the Japanese version and looking at artwork

latest?cb=20160925015732latest?cb=20130124025346

and comparing them to Necrodragons

latest?cb=20170501204901

There's a lot similarities.

And also White Dragons

latest?cb=20170501210648

It's likely that Necrodragons are reanimated Wyverns while White Dragons (and Fafnirs) are just a more powerful breed of Wyverns. Though the fact that Necrodragons and White Dragons exist on Valentia in the first place means that Wyverns do exist in Valentia. We know White Dragons crossed over from Archanea and that's probably how the overall Wyvern population spread.

What I find interesting is that White Dragons and Fafnirs are listed twice as Mila and Duma's servants. I assume that those are enemies you fight in the Amiibo dungeon? It brings up an interesting suggestion that Mila and Duma cam to Archanea with more dragons than just the two of them. The question is, however, if White Dragons are Mila's servants, why do they appear in Duma's Temple? I'm currently weaving a head canon that suggests Duma kidnapped Mila's dragon servants (who went mad long ago) and brought them to Rigel when Rudolf stormed the temple. Many of them were also killed in the process and they became the Necro Dragons you fight in the bog a few chapters later.

I used to theorize that White Dragons were actually weaker Divine Dragons, this could still be true as the description says they don't attack with breath, rather than they can't.

Necrodragons being Wyverns makes a lot of sense, considering their similar appearance and humongous movement.

I'm not convinced White Dragons are that special though. The game just calls them stronger Necrodragons and clearly states they're undead.

Also, I'm a bit disappointed that the descriptions for the Terrors didn't really reveal much. I wanted to know where the Titans came from, since they're apparently a race of giants that used to live on Valentia. Likewise, the Vesta and Fafnir apparently existed long, long ago. Meanwhile the Balor was said to be an ancient demon god's eye.

6 minutes ago, Mysterique Sign said:

@Jotari Duma/Mila's servants are different from White Dragons, even though they have similar portraits/models. Duma/Mila's servant are more transparent and are probably meant to be seen as ethereal beings

Playable Ike and Roy and Marth, I'm okay with. But these extra dungeons are the things I don't like about Amiibos. I feel like I'm missing something out by not having access to them. They could at least make them DLC or something, and then people with the Amiibo just get them for free. Anyway, even if they are ethereal beings, it still makes a link to White Dragons and Fafnirs. Why would Mila and Duma's servants look like those two types of enemies if there wasn't a connection? And was we're discussing in another thread currently, ghost dragons are very much a thing in the series.

I do wish Terrors as whole got more, they're there, but not really well explained. Magvel wasn't very good with this either, their description says they're creatures born into darkness, and numbered few until the start of SS. If a game is going to include hordes of different paranormal monsters, they should give a full history of their existence on the continent. Why does Valentia have Terrors but Archanea none for one?

10 minutes ago, Interdimensional Observer said:

I do wish Terrors as whole got more, they're there, but not really well explained. Magvel wasn't very good with this either, their description says they're creatures born into darkness, and numbered few until the start of SS. If a game is going to include hordes of different paranormal monsters, they should give a full history of their existence on the continent. Why does Valentia have Terrors but Archanea none for one?

Archanea does have terrors. We see plenty of them in Thabes. It's probably there are more all over the place and Marth and co just never see them because they're small in number. It's clear that the plague of terrors is a new thing for Valentia, and previously they just hung out in the depths of Mila shrines. Which also gives them a connection to the dragons. The increased number of them is probably down to the Duma faithful who are said to research them, hence Cantors summoning them everywhere. How they summon them...no idea.

Also given how they're all over Thabes and hanging out with Grima and the degenerated dragons, plus how they appear in Mila shrines, it's clear that the terrors have some link to dragons. What kind of link? We'll probably never know. But their origins come from dragons some how.

Edited by Jotari

My long-running conspiracy theory is that the developers love to introduce origin stories that aren't always immediately obvious. (Although Echoes is really blatant with Grima's origin story.)

Part of this theory is that The Sacred Stones may have introduced Fomortiis as a possible explanation for monsters/Terrors in Valentia. While we don't know much about Fomortiis or his legion of monsters, we do know they've been around for a very long time (at least a millennium, give or take) and were such a huge threat that the dragonkin of Magvel had to step in.

Also, perhaps there's some connection there to Valentia's Falchion being strong against Terrors (similar to the Sacred Twins)?

The bit about Balor being possibly connected to an ancient demon god intrigues me as well. I wonder what kind of monsters existed in the ancient past?