Valentia Accordion Translation Project Thread

34 minutes ago, omegaxis1 said:

... Wait... doesn't this make Sonya be canonical to the game? Cause Marla says that she's angry at Sonya, while Hestia is said to have died by her sister's hand. 

i doubt there was ever any question that Sonya was the "canonical" choice, as far as there being any sort of canonical choice for a game that will never have a direct sequel is. After all, Sonia has some kind of plot to her, while Deen is just Deen. For what it's worth, Hestia directly talks about Sonya in the game even if you killed her and recruited Deen.

Edited by Jotari

• Replies 551
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

34 minutes ago, Jotari said:

i doubt there was ever any question that Sonya was the "canonical" choice, as far as there being any sort of canonical choice for a game that will never have a direct sequel is. After all, Sonia has some kind of plot to her, while Deen is just Deen.

Deen has a backstory, but it's nonexistent in the game. Jesse literally has to guess to find some crack, but that's it. 

3 hours ago, omegaxis1 said:

... Wait... doesn't this make Sonya be canonical to the game? Cause Marla says that she's angry at Sonya, while Hestia is said to have died by her sister's hand. 

I'm going to pretend that both Sonya and Deen were recruited, even though that is not possible in the actual game. I'd assume the same of Karel/Harken and Samson/Arran.

Can't say I mind when stuff like that happens. If there's a canon choice, fine.

That said, for cases like Harken/Karel where the conditions are more arbitrary, I don't mind going with the "both were recruited" headcanon. Arran/Samson, however, is one I feel was an either or other. With stuff like their character endings and their status in Marth's second adventure, Arran seems to be the canon choice there.

5 hours ago, Interdimensional Observer said:

I'm going to pretend that both Sonya and Deen were recruited, even though that is not possible in the actual game. I'd assume the same of Karel/Harken and Samson/Arran.

Mystery of the Emblem confirms that Arran was the canon choice.

Yes, still alive!

Today's update:

103 Leon and Atlas
096 Python and Forsyth +
Enemy Units
126 | 127 | 128 | 129 |

Python's profile had some new stuff I believe! We finally got Leon and Atlas up there too. Whoever thought Valbar and Kamui would be the last of the playable characters people wanted to translate? xD

After those two, there are some NPCs/bosses to complete, and then just a few more generic class pages. Then a few pages of concept art!

7 hours ago, Kirokan said:

Yes, still alive!

Today's update:

103 Leon and Atlas
096 Python and Forsyth +
Enemy Units
126 | 127 | 128 | 129 |

Python's profile had some new stuff I believe! We finally got Leon and Atlas up there too. Whoever thought Valbar and Kamui would be the last of the playable characters people wanted to translate? xD

After those two, there are some NPCs/bosses to complete, and then just a few more generic class pages. Then a few pages of concept art!

Wait, the Gold Knights wear ACTUAL gold in battle? That's so stupid. Gold is heavy and poor use for armor, because gold is malleable, meaning that it'd break easily. Also, wow, I cannot believe they actually explained the reasoning for wearing high heels for female cavaliers and gold knights. 

And there's the explanation on Dread Fighters having an "illness" of the mind that makes them return to being villagers, thus giving a "canon" explanation for the glitch of Dread Fighters promoting to Villagers. 

2 hours ago, omegaxis1 said:

And there's the explanation on Dread Fighters having an "illness" of the mind that makes them return to being villagers, thus giving a "canon" explanation for the glitch of Dread Fighters promoting to Villagers. 

What does that even mean?

21 minutes ago, Jotari said:

What does that even mean?

It's a hand wave for Dread Fighter looping, but it could just be homesickness / a desire to go back to their roots. Why it only afflicts them, you got me.

Python's profile is pretty interesting. His father's alcoholism may explain part of his behavior.

4 minutes ago, X-Naut said:

It's a hand wave for Dread Fighter looping, but it could just be homesickness / a desire to go back to their roots. Why it only afflicts them, you got me.

Python's profile is pretty interesting. His father's alcoholism may explain part of his behavior.

Clearly Dread Fighters get shit wages compared to the more dignified looking classes.

2 hours ago, Jotari said:

Clearly Dread Fighters get shit wages compared to the more dignified looking classes.

That's one way. XD

But from what it says, they have learned some black magic, and maybe that developed said illness. 

2 hours ago, X-Naut said:

Python remains as one of the best characters. Love his completely down to earth style of speaking. 

It's a completely random fact that animals don't seem to mind Atlas's company, but it's kind of cute, and it fits his character.

Leon, Python, and Forsyth got a bit more information than what was in the base game, but not by much. Still, it's more interesting than the bios for the villagers.

7 hours ago, omegaxis1 said:

Wait, the Gold Knights wear ACTUAL gold in battle? That's so stupid. Gold is heavy and poor use for armor, because gold is malleable, meaning that it'd break easily. Also, wow, I cannot believe they actually explained the reasoning for wearing high heels for female cavaliers and gold knights. 

The armor isn't made of gold. It's just decorated with it. Still needlessly expensive, but that could work in their favor (after all, you don't just give a priceless material to a weak or even average fighter, do you?). Although where Alm and even Celica's army got some gold for their own army is anyone's guess.

Also, I didn't notice it talked about the high heels for female paladins and gold knights the first time around. The explanation is ridiculous, but so are high heels in real life, so I'm going to let it slide.

It also states that archers (and presumably bow knights) have shoulder armor on only one side, so that their other arm has more freedom of movement. Makes sense, but I wonder if there is any historical basis or fact to this.

As for Dread Fighters, it's interesting to see that instead of using magic to cast spells, they use it for their resistance boost and presumably to do their unearthly warping and flips during combat. I always wondered why normal sword-fighters were suddenly flying and flipping around, as well as why their critical move featured the strange arm movements, disappearing, and rapid fire combo, but know we know why; It's a unique form of black magic. I guess all that warping (seriously, what are those movements called?) takes a toll on both the body and the mind, so the villager loop has an in-universe explanation (even if the original thought process that ninja's were trained from normal villagers, and returned home after their mission was complete, also makes sense). I wonder if that's why why there are more dread fighters on Celica's path than on Alm's; In line with Duma's teachings, being able to stay sane and fit in a class that actively affects these areas shows that someone has great physical and mental strength.

Speaking of which, if Shadows of Valentia ever got a sequel, perhaps that would be the explanation for why characters like Saber, Kamui, Jesse, etc. are at a lower level or class than they were previously.

5 hours ago, Hawkwing said:

It's a completely random fact that animals don't seem to mind Atlas's company, but it's kind of cute, and it fits his character.

Leon, Python, and Forsyth got a bit more information than what was in the base game, but not by much. Still, it's more interesting than the bios for the villagers.

The armor isn't made of gold. It's just decorated with it. Still needlessly expensive, but that could work in their favor (after all, you don't just give a priceless material to a weak or even average fighter, do you?). Although where Alm and even Celica's army got some gold for their own army is anyone's guess.

Also, I didn't notice it talked about the high heels for female paladins and gold knights the first time around. The explanation is ridiculous, but so are high heels in real life, so I'm going to let it slide.

It also states that archers (and presumably bow knights) have shoulder armor on only one side, so that their other arm has more freedom of movement. Makes sense, but I wonder if there is any historical basis or fact to this.

As for Dread Fighters, it's interesting to see that instead of using magic to cast spells, they use it for their resistance boost and presumably to do their unearthly warping and flips during combat. I always wondered why normal sword-fighters were suddenly flying and flipping around, as well as why their critical move featured the strange arm movements, disappearing, and rapid fire combo, but know we know why; It's a unique form of black magic. I guess all that warping (seriously, what are those movements called?) takes a toll on both the body and the mind, so the villager loop has an in-universe explanation (even if the original thought process that ninja's were trained from normal villagers, and returned home after their mission was complete, also makes sense). I wonder if that's why why there are more dread fighters on Celica's path than on Alm's; In line with Duma's teachings, being able to stay sane and fit in a class that actively affects these areas shows that someone has great physical and mental strength.

Speaking of which, if Shadows of Valentia ever got a sequel, perhaps that would be the explanation for why characters like Saber, Kamui, Jesse, etc. are at a lower level or class than they were previously.

Why don't they loose health using that back magic though? Toll on the mind, sure, but the actual trained mages physically damage themselves using magic. One would think that would drive them to "having an illness of the mind" quicker.

Also RE: the high heels. It sounds sensible at first...but then you remember Gold Knights where horses, meaning the high heels would have absolutely no effect. I guess it's for when they're marching around the place giving orders instead of actively fighting, but in that case you'd expect them to have a pair of actual functioning battle shoes to swap into.

Edited by Jotari

16 hours ago, Jotari said:

Why don't they loose health using that back magic though? Toll on the mind, sure, but the actual trained mages physically damage themselves using magic. One would think that would drive them to "having an illness of the mind" quicker.

It's a different type of control over magic. Dread fighters aren't slinging spells, it's more like protective magic. Internal rather than external. Black magic attack spells require intense effort and concentration to release that energy from your body (equating to hp loss, aka stamina) but if black magic is used "internally"--the target is yourself rather than an external target--it doesn't require that release, thus no hp loss. However, it is magic nonetheless and does eventually take its toll. Just not immediately. Sort of like stress; it piles up and piles up, wearing you down, and eventually breaks you if you don't de-stress. Whereas normal black magic spells (and white magic spells) take an immediate toll which causes you to need a break right then and there, as though you just ran a long ways and need to catch your breath; you'll be completely fine soon enough.

@bolded: Look at it this way: dread fighters are constantly under the influence of black magic--they do not have any break from it and cannot rest up, unlike a mage. Like I said, stress piles up.

The description does say "some illness of the mind or body". At a certain point they simply can fight no longer. They need a break, either because their body isn't working well or because they are mentally exhausted and just can't do it anymore (depression might be one such "illness"). But after a respite from the influence of that magic they feel better and can fight again. I would guess it depends on the person's constitution and mental fortitude as to whether they're affected physically or mentally. ...But there are some people who have enough resilience that they aren't affected...much. And it depends on how much fighting you do--utilizing those abilities wears you down faster.

Why am I passing this off as though I know all the details?

7 hours ago, Sock said:

It's a different type of control over magic. Dread fighters aren't slinging spells, it's more like protective magic. Internal rather than external. Black magic attack spells require intense effort and concentration to release that energy from your body (equating to hp loss, aka stamina) but if black magic is used "internally"--the target is yourself rather than an external target--it doesn't require that release, thus no hp loss. However, it is magic nonetheless and does eventually take its toll. Just not immediately. Sort of like stress; it piles up and piles up, wearing you down, and eventually breaks you if you don't de-stress. Whereas normal black magic spells (and white magic spells) take an immediate toll which causes you to need a break right then and there, as though you just ran a long ways and need to catch your breath; you'll be completely fine soon enough.

@bolded: Look at it this way: dread fighters are constantly under the influence of black magic--they do not have any break from it and cannot rest up, unlike a mage. Like I said, stress piles up.

The description does say "some illness of the mind or body". At a certain point they simply can fight no longer. They need a break, either because their body isn't working well or because they are mentally exhausted and just can't do it anymore (depression might be one such "illness"). But after a respite from the influence of that magic they feel better and can fight again. I would guess it depends on the person's constitution and mental fortitude as to whether they're affected physically or mentally. ...But there are some people who have enough resilience that they aren't affected...much. And it depends on how much fighting you do--utilizing those abilities wears you down faster.

Why am I passing this off as though I know all the details?

Being incapable of fighting any more doesn't make much sense with the ingame evidence as Dread Fighters don't lose any stat when they loop.

14 hours ago, Jotari said:

Being incapable of fighting any more doesn't make much sense with the ingame evidence as Dread Fighters don't lose any stat when they loop.

Point. And they actually gain a point of hp when returning to the villager class! I'm going to cop-out and leave it at gameplay-story segregation, because it's a pain in the ass to lose stats. Awakening did it, it's doable, but a pain nonetheless.

15 minutes ago, Sock said:

Point. And they actually gain a point of hp when returning to the villager class! I'm going to cop-out and leave it at gameplay-story segregation, because it's a pain in the ass to lose stats. Awakening did it, it's doable, but a pain nonetheless.

You can totally call this gameplay-segregation, but I would say that you can say that the illness is just a case of them not wanting to fight anymore. They don't want to fight, but they strength they gained won't just go away. But they have to go through the process again to regain the skills they lost. 

56 minutes ago, omegaxis1 said:

I would say that you can say that the illness is just a case of them not wanting to fight anymore.

And I'd say that is merely one possibility. "Some illness" makes me think there are a variety of different things that can happen, and since it's "mind or body" we have two different things already.

It's a good point that, in this case, their strength won't just vanish immediately (when the class-change happens). But long-term... First of all, maybe some people will keep training during their normal-village-life, or at least their job might be physically demanding--in which case, stats stay the same. However, if they don't want to fight anymore they might not want to train anymore either. For a while, at least. If you don't train for a month or two you lose muscle. Strength stat down, gonna have to build it up again. There is no indication of that in gameplay. And how do you properly implement that without making it even more ridiculously convoluted than this off-hand explanation from an artbook? I'm getting irritated at myself for spending so much time thinking about this...

21 hours ago, Jotari said:

You could chalk it up to gameplay and story segregation. However, it's unclear exactly when this illness starts kicking in, or at least, when it starts to become a problem. It could take mere days for the effect to take place, or it could take several months or even years before a dread fighter needs to return to villager life. Doesn't help that it probably ranges from person to person as to when the illness occurs, as well as how long they can last with it.

Considering that your own units would only be in the dreadfighter class for one to two months at most (excluding over-grinding or Thabes Labyrith, which are can of worms in and of themselves), it makes sense that this illness hasn't done a whole lot of damage to them, and thus they retain their stats.

By the way, I reread the description, and nowhere does it say that this illness is inevitable, just that there are several instances of it.

Edited by Hawkwing

6 hours ago, Hawkwing said:

You could chalk it up to gameplay and story segregation. However, it's unclear exactly when this illness starts kicking in, or at least, when it starts to become a problem. It could take mere days for the effect to take place, or it could take several months or even years before a dread fighter needs to return to villager life. Doesn't help that it probably ranges from person to person as to when the illness occurs, as well as how long they can last with it.

Considering that your own units would only be in the dreadfighter class for one to two months at most (excluding over-grinding or Thabes Labyrith, which are can of worms in and of themselves), it makes sense that this illness hasn't done a whole lot of damage to them, and thus they retain their stats.

By the way, I reread the description, and nowhere does it say that this illness is inevitable, just that there are several instances of it.

If that's the case, then why can out Dread Fighters return to the Villager class?

17 hours ago, Jotari said:

If that's the case, then why can out Dread Fighters return to the Villager class?

If what's the case? Also, what do you mean by "why can out"?

I noticed people have been talking about the high-heels.  Well the in-universe example is a bit silly, it's actually not that out of place.

In the real world, high-heels were invented around the 10th century and were originally worn to help horse riders stay in the stirrups, especially during combat.  They eventually became a symbol of power and were even fashionable for men to wear during the early 1700's.  Over time, women began wearing them and eventually high-heels became viewed as feminine, leading to the fashion of today.

Just your fun trivia of the day.  :)

Edited by Fastesthe1