The NEW Models Extraction Thread

Ertrick36

After quietly awaiting the old thread to fade from the first page so that I could sort of rebrand the discussion to focus more on the real nitty gritty of the project (the actual release of the models and their application elsewhere), it has finally come time to make my move.

For those unfamiliar, there has been a project in the works from Deviant Art and VG Resource users kurokairaku, SciresM, and Demonslayerx8 to extract and release all the characters' 3D models for use in other platforms such as VR Chat, GMod, XPS, MMD, and Super Smash Bros. 4 (in its rapidly decreasing relevance).  This has been going on since December, and I had been quietly following it like Tharja would Robin.

Now every weekend, you can expect at least one character's model to be released.  There have already been a number released, so there's already quite a bit to work with.  They will be posted on both the VG Resource thread and kurokairaku's DA account, so be sure to follow either one (or this thread, if you don't feel like exploring beyond this site, as I'll try to keep it up to date) if you want to keep up to date on this.  If you have requests, I'd recommend contacting either kuro or DSX8 on Deviant Art, because the VGR prohibits users from making requests unless they're regular, active members.

Below, I'll list the characters whose models have been released, and those names will link to their respective posts on Deviant Art (Note: "BA" stands for "Broken Armor", and it'll be noted which Broken Armors have been released if the character has more than one):

Spoiler

Hinoka - Unpromoted/BA

Anna - Unpromoted/BA

Minerva - Unpromoted/BA

Camilla - Unpromoted/BA (standard)

Elise - Unpromoted/BA

Niles - Unpromoted/BA

Xander - Unpromoted/BA

Cordelia - Unpromoted/BA (standard)

Tiki - Unpromoted/BA (standard)/Unpromoted Dragon Form

Tharja - Unpromoted/BA

Robin - Male Unpromoted/BA

Sakura - Unpromoted/BA (Comes with some extra models)

Corrin - Female Unpromoted/BA (Standard)/Dragon Form

Azura - Unpromoted/Dark Songstress/BA (Standard/Dark Songstress)

Lyn - All costumes available

Lucina - Unpromoted/BA (Standard)

Marth - All costumes available

Note: All models come with their mounts (if applicable) and special weapons.  They all come in a .fbx and .dae format, so if you use Blender, you will need an addon/plugin to import them in.  The team was gracious enough to port all the textures into a .png format, though the original .dds files are still present if you want to use those instead; there are diffuse maps for all (of course) and bump and specular maps for the body textures.  There are unknown mask textures as well, which are probably only for contextual use (meaning they're only useful in FEW).

One caveat is that the eyes can't move properly; they didn't give the eyes proper bones, and so instead the whole eye texture moves around (think of it as if you shift a picture around on a surface or like ink moving around on a canvas).  This means that if you want a character to look in a direction other than straight ahead, you will need to change the eye texture (or re-mesh the eyes so that the pupils are separate from the whites of the eyes), which also means that you can't really make the eyes move on the fly.  All other parts of the body (even eyelids, eyebrows, and hair) have bones, so they can move independently.

Feel free to discuss this; maybe even link to places where these character models have been ported to other platforms.

I will probably do some 3D model posing.  At the very least, I think I'll port some of the models to XPS.  And maybe, if I really feel like it, rig them into GTA: San Andreas, as I probably still have leftover knowledge from my early days of porting models to that game.  Anything else is beyond my current expertise/interest.

Edited by Ertrick36

After quietly awaiting the old thread to fade from the first page so that I could sort of rebrand the discussion to focus more on the real nitty gritty of the project (the actual release of the models and their application elsewhere), it has finally come time to make my move.

For those unfamiliar, there has been a project in the works from Deviant Art and VG Resource users kurokairaku, SciresM, and Demonslayerx8 to extract and release all the characters' 3D models for use in other platforms such as VR Chat, GMod, XPS, MMD, and Super Smash Bros. 4 (in its rapidly decreasing relevance).  This has been going on since December, and I had been quietly following it like Tharja would Robin.

Now every weekend, you can expect at least one character's model to be released.  There have already been a number released, so there's already quite a bit to work with.  They will be posted on both the VG Resource thread and kurokairaku's DA account, so be sure to follow either one (or this thread, if you don't feel like exploring beyond this site, as I'll try to keep it up to date) if you want to keep up to date on this.  If you have requests, I'd recommend contacting either kuro or DSX8 on Deviant Art, because the VGR prohibits users from making requests unless they're regular, active members.

Below, I'll list the characters whose models have been released, and those names will link to their respective posts on Deviant Art (Note: "BA" stands for "Broken Armor", and it'll be noted which Broken Armors have been released if the character has more than one):

Spoiler

Hinoka - Unpromoted/BA

Anna - Unpromoted/BA

Minerva - Unpromoted/BA

Camilla - Unpromoted/BA (standard)

Elise - Unpromoted/BA

Niles - Unpromoted/BA

Xander - Unpromoted/BA

Cordelia - Unpromoted/BA (standard)

Tiki - Unpromoted/BA (standard)/Unpromoted Dragon Form

Tharja - Unpromoted/BA

Note: All models come with their mounts (if applicable) and special weapons.  They all come in a .fbx format, so if you use Blender, you will need an addon/plugin to import them in.  The team was gracious enough to port all the textures into a .png format, though the original .dds files are still present if you want to use those instead; there are diffuse maps for all (of course) and bump and specular maps for the body textures.

One caveat is that the eyes can't move properly; they didn't give the eyes proper bones, and so instead the whole eye texture moves around (think of it as if you shift a picture around on a surface or like ink moving around on a canvas).  This means that if you want a character to look in a direction other than straight ahead, you will need to change the eye texture, which also means that you can't really make the eyes move on the fly.  All other parts of the body (even eyelids, eyebrows, and hair) have bones, so they can move independently.

So far, 10 models have been released.  By my estimations, assuming the rate remains the same, there will probably be a model for each character by the end of August at the latest.  However, given that Tiki and Tharja's models (as well as Cordelia's weapon and BA model) had been released on the same weekend, it could be sooner.

I may or may not make a poll to ask what character models you'd like to see extracted soonest, depending on interest.  Other than that, feel free to discuss this; maybe even link to places where these character models have been ported to other platforms.

I will probably do some 3D model posing.  At the very least, I think I'll port all the models to XPS.  And maybe, if I really feel like it, rig them into GTA: San Andreas, as I probably still have leftover knowledge from my early days of porting models to that game.  Anything else is beyond my current expertise/interest.

This is quite interesting still. I don't know the first thing about actually rigging a model, but I eagerly await their porting to Gmod at least.

These are from the 3DS version, not the Switch version, right? I wonder if the latter will be rippable one day.

31 minutes ago, Anomalocaris said:

This is quite interesting still. I don't know the first thing about actually rigging a model, but I eagerly await their porting to Gmod at least.

These are from the 3DS version, not the Switch version, right? I wonder if the latter will be rippable one day.

No, these are actually the Switch version's models.  Some of the 3DS models were released here, and are of substantially lower quality.  @SciresM is to thank for the Switch version being accessible in this manner, from what I understand.

Have you ever tried rigging models before?  All things considered, rigging with these models would probably be fairly easy given that they come with bones.  I taught myself how to rig models in GTA San Andreas without the bones when I was a teenager.  This is the product of that experience.  Barring a few little graphical bugs (born out of lazy weight painting), the models came out fairly well.  Eventually, it started only taking an hour at most to finish the models.

2 minutes ago, Ertrick36 said:

No, these are actually the Switch version's models.  Some of the 3DS models were released here, and are of substantially lower quality.  @SciresM is to thank for the Switch version being accessible in this manner, from what I understand.

Have you ever tried rigging models before?  All things considered, rigging with these models would probably be fairly easy given that they come with bones.  I taught myself how to rig models in GTA San Andreas without the bones when I was a teenager.  This is the product of that experience.  Barring a few little graphical bugs (born out of lazy weight painting), the models came out fairly well.  Eventually, it started only taking an hour at most to finish the models.

Oh, neat. Good to hear they're Switch-quality.

I've never rigged models before, no. I suppose it's something to look into, at least.

5 minutes ago, Anomalocaris said:

Oh, neat. Good to hear they're Switch-quality.

I've never rigged models before, no. I suppose it's something to look into, at least.

I'd highly recommend it if you're truly interested in seeing these models come to GMod.  After all, the best way for something to happen is to make it happen yourself.  Such desires is how I started on the road to learning how to rig models.

If I was a little more experienced, I'd see if I could help kurokairaku and DSX8 release those models.  But for now, I'll be content with the fact that they'll eventually release the ones I want to acquire.

• 2 weeks later...

Was busy last couple of weeks.  In the meantime, kuro's gone and released Male Robin and Sugoi Girl Sakura (apparently comes with archer ally dudes, a la her Awakening special).  And he's hinted at a few more characters that have been fast-tracked, some from Fates and a gal from 'Wakening.

I have made XPS models out of some of these, but not all the bones have been renamed properly.  Like I said before, it's all a matter of getting over the tedium, and that tedium mostly revolves around renaming crap and testing stuff to make sure it works right/reflects the bone names properly.  I'll only release them in tip-top shape.

@Nickdos It'll probably be quite a while before they get around to the promoted outfits, but the regular unpromoted female Corrin model and her standard broken armor model have just been released.  That also comes with the dragon transformation model and the dragon helmet and hand spear models.  Weapons also included, obviously.

Now some models of a few really popular characters have been released (and I haven't been keeping up with it); Lucina's and Azura's have been released with the latter getting her Dark Songstress outfits, but the real kicker is Lyn.  Lyn's unpromoted outfit, her promoted outfit, her Awakening Swordmaster costume, and the respective BA models have all been released.

I'm still rallying for the 'Boro ヽRGaYS2c.pngノ as is standard for me, but I'm glad one of my favorites (Lucina) is out now.

23 hours ago, Ertrick36 said:

Now some models of a few really popular characters have been released (and I haven't been keeping up with it); Lucina's and Azura's have been released with the latter getting her Dark Songstress outfits, but the real kicker is Lyn.  Lyn's unpromoted outfit, her promoted outfit, her Awakening Swordmaster costume, and the respective BA models have all been released.

I'm still rallying for the 'Boro ヽRGaYS2c.pngノ as is standard for me, but I'm glad one of my favorites (Lucina) is out now.

That second comment on Lyn... also hi Xenoblade 2 spoilers.

But yeah, it's nice to see models outside of the game. In general, they look cleaner and higher quality than I expected.

59 minutes ago, The DanMan said:

Talso hi Xenoblade 2 spoilers.

Oh yeah, Kuro's been cranking out those models like crazy.  If anyone reading this thread has interest in XC2 models and doesn't mind spoilers, check Kuro's Deviant Art out.

• 3 weeks later...

So there's tools available for rigging the models...  If anyone here has decrypted FEW files ripped from the game, they themselves can look at this post for more deets.  I tried it myself, but I couldn't even wrap my head around decrypting the files in the first place, so yeah...

Anyway, nothing much new.  Math has been released in full, including his unpromoted, promoted, and DLC outfits, and there's a WIP version of Chrom whose link is on the 15th page of the VG Resource thread (I'm unsure if Kuro wanted that model to be made very public before it was properly rigged).

More models have been kind of released under the rug...  I think kuro's lately been looking to rig the entire wardrobes for each character (as in, all their costumes and the like) before actually advertising their releases.

Anyway, Olivia, Rowan, Lianna, and Lucina's bride outfit are available in roughly the same condition as Chrom.  All are available via this link, which is where you can normally download all the models.  None of them have Deviant Art pages yet (I would've linked them if they did), but the models are available for download.  I also may have snagged a certain model early...

So remember how I said this thread was also for posting projects relating to these models (e.g. rigging them for other programs/games)?  Well... have I something to share.

As I implied before and stated in my signature, I commissioned a fast-track of Oboro's model (actually, both her spear fighter and armorbreak models).  This was so that I could port them to the program XNA Posing Studio - a program that is, just as the name would suggest, for posing various models and taking pictures of said models - and release those XPS models to the public.  And now I've finally released the 'Boro right here!  Raise your 'Boros ヽRGaYS2c.png

If you wanna see more of the FEW bunch as XPS models, check out this gallery of various Nintendo XPS models.