Lagdou Ruins Run

Planning on doing a run of the Lagdou Ruins for the first time.  Made one attempt so far and got to the fourth floor before Knoll got attacked when I had accidentally left Gleipnir attached to him (honestly it's so heavy, I should probably just toss it, but I like to have the legendary wepaons on hand out of stubborness, that's also why I made Moulder a sage even though bishops are superior). That run was doomed anyway as I realised I'm woefully under prepared weaponwise. How many weapons do you need to bring? I'm probably going to buy a couple dozen steel weapons as they seem to be the best value given I don't have too much trouble taking the enemies down. At least on the lower floors. Some are HP tanks but most can't even hit my units. Any other adivce in general would be appreciated. Already did the enemy control glitch to give all my magic users dark magic (for what it's worth) and repaired Myrrh's dragon stone.

EDIT: Also, since this is my first time really trying Creature Campagin, I'd like to know if any of the extra units are worth using or are they just there for the sake of novelty?

Edited by Jotari

It'd be useful to bring some Luna or anti-dragon weapons for the final fight, or just send bows and Bishops into that one. I still have my old NP guide for Lagdou I think, but I'm not going to bring it out at this moment. Make sure you carefully check enemy ranges for that fight, bust out a Fortify use if thou must.

Know that one battle has poison gas walls (you can easily tell which they are most of the time), another has water and I believe vanishing floors (this one also has a bunch of Shadowshot IRRC), and another is flame tiles.

-Actually, you can find all the battle maps if you're interested in see the geography here.

Lagdou isn't hard, just be cautious of Gorgons, Mogalls, and always do a check of what every enemy packs beforehand and field strong units and you're good. And remember, you need to complete it three times to unlock the trophy PC that is Lyon. The rest of the crew will be obtained by the end of your first run though, Glen can be potentially useful by the way.

According to SF, unlike my old NP guide, you'll be killing over 200 enemies per run, so if you can figure out how many hits each will take on average, that should help you figure out how many weapons you need by the time you finish all 10 floors, but overpacking is better than under (but you can always buy Iron at an inflated price in the prep armory).

Edit: CC-only characters:

Lyon is really just a trophy. He comes with a spare Hammerne and Naglfar, which anyone with a Dark rank can use, and he can make Phantoms, but he's a trophy because you'll have finished the game by the time you get him.

Riev is very durable physically and has Slayer and Res targeting to compensate for his low Mag, he is thus very good in CC.

Glen and Valter have flight, but Valter is low Luck and rather fragile. Glen is slow, but most monsters are slow so he is fine (he's an inferior Cormag).

Fado is almost as trophy as Lyon, but has nothing unique to him.

Selena is Staff on a horse, but otherwise lackluster compared to Lute. And she, like the rest save Riev and Lyon, are a little inferior to average trained main story characters, but they're not terrible given how weak monsters are. Ismaire has a metric ton less HP than Joshua and 3 less Str 4 less Def and 2 less Con at 20/20, but practically the same Skl/Spd/Lck and much more Res. Weaker overall, but not unusable by any means.

Edited by Interdimensional Observer

I've gone through the Lagdou Ruins on a few of my different playthroughs. I usually play through the Tower of Valni at least 2 to 3 times before starting the Lagdou Ruins, mostly for EXP and gold. It's not exactly necessary, but I'd highly recommend it just so you can get some extra levels. They always help. Ismaire is, in my opinion, the only one of the Tower of Valni characters that is worth getting, but even then, she's pretty fragile. From there, I'd personally recommend purchasing 2 or 3 weapons of your choice (though I'd recommend steel or higher) per-character (or the magical equivalent). Yes, it's over-packing, but it's better to be safe. Likewise, if you've managed to get through most of the game already, you probably have a decent amount of gold saved up. If not, you can either get more from the Lagdou Ruins or from random skirmishes. If you're okay with using the Enemy Control Glitch to your advantage, both Luna and Eclipse are good tomes to have against just about anything. To deal with the Draco Zombies, you're actually not in a bad place, since you made Moulder a Bishop. If you can manage to get your hands on a Purge tome, the "slayer" skill Bishops use will come in handy. I've found it's easy to weaken Draco Zombies with Moulder first, then to let Innes or Neimi fire a couple arrows into them. Draco Zombies are counted as flying units, meaning that a well-trained archer can absolutely annihilate them. I also occasionally use Eclipse to bring them down to half-health and then finish them off with whatever I've got. From there, it's just a matter of usual Fire Emblem gameplay. Keep a close eye on the weapon triangle and always check to see if enemy monsters have Shadowshot. If most of your units are dodging attacks, keep your powerhouses towards the back and just slowly move up as a group. As usual, going too far forward here isn't going to do you any favors. You sound like you're in pretty good shape otherwise! Good luck and have fun! If you were able to tackle the Tower of Valni without issue, you should be fine here. If not, try doing it at least once as a warm-up. Trust me, it's worth it. 

Don't be too committed to getting your chumps EXP, that's how stupid miscalculations happen.

Slayer is broken.

Bring siege or other powerful tricks, especially for the final floor.

Also, bring Restore. Stone SUCKS.

Edited by Terrador

A Bishop with Purge and the rest of the team with Sacred Twins (except Gleipnir), wyrmslayers, or bows makes the final floor a lot easier.

Level 5 has poison walls, you can see them, don't stand in 3 panels linearly. Level 8 has appearing and disappearing bridges like that one sidequest Night of Farewells in FE7. Level 9 is volcano, standard floor traps. Everything else is pretty standard in map layout. Enemies aren't usually going to be a problem, just make sure to check for slayers/reavers and whatnot and don't get careless.

There's no real reason to use the Sacred Twins 90% of the time. If your units are actually struggling without them, they aren't ready or just need to be kept to non-combat roles. I've always primarily stuck to Iron weapons myself, with Killers and Slayers to help coverage or the occasional Silver weapon for the people with lower damage.

Shouldn't really need to be said to an experienced player, but as a reminder get chests when possible, especially last floor. Its usually just a gem, but sometimes it can be Boots.

CC units are basically just inferior. They aren't unusable, but there's no real reason to.

10 hours ago, Interdimensional Observer said:

It'd be useful to bring some Luna or anti-dragon weapons for the final fight, or just send bows and Bishops into that one. I still have my old NP guide for Lagdou I think, but I'm not going to bring it out at this moment. Make sure you carefully check enemy ranges for that fight, bust out a Fortify use if thou must.

Know that one battle has poison gas walls (you can easily tell which they are most of the time), another has water and I believe vanishing floors (this one also has a bunch of Shadowshot IRRC), and another is flame tiles.

-Actually, you can find all the battle maps if you're interested in see the geography here.

Lagdou isn't hard, just be cautious of Gorgons, Mogalls, and always do a check of what every enemy packs beforehand and field strong units and you're good. And remember, you need to complete it three times to unlock the trophy PC that is Lyon. The rest of the crew will be obtained by the end of your first run though, Glen can be potentially useful by the way.

According to SF, unlike my old NP guide, you'll be killing over 200 enemies per run, so if you can figure out how many hits each will take on average, that should help you figure out how many weapons you need by the time you finish all 10 floors, but overpacking is better than under (but you can always buy Iron at an inflated price in the prep armory).

Edit: CC-only characters:

Lyon is really just a trophy. He comes with a spare Hammerne and Naglfar, which anyone with a Dark rank can use, and he can make Phantoms, but he's a trophy because you'll have finished the game by the time you get him.

Riev is very durable physically and has Slayer and Res targeting to compensate for his low Mag, he is thus very good in CC.

Glen and Valter have flight, but Valter is low Luck and rather fragile. Glen is slow, but most monsters are slow so he is fine (he's an inferior Cormag).

Fado is almost as trophy as Lyon, but has nothing unique to him.

Selena is Staff on a horse, but otherwise lackluster compared to Lute. And she, like the rest save Riev and Lyon, are a little inferior to average trained main story characters, but they're not terrible given how weak monsters are. Ismaire has a metric ton less HP than Joshua and 3 less Str 4 less Def and 2 less Con at 20/20, but practically the same Skl/Spd/Lck and much more Res. Weaker overall, but not unusable by any means.

Oh wow, other units can us Naglfar, didn't know that. Still, I doubt I'm going to bother getting him since I'm doing this for fun and doing it once will probably be enough. Will definitely be using Reiv for ironic slayer though.

9 hours ago, TheGrandmaster said:

I've gone through the Lagdou Ruins on a few of my different playthroughs. I usually play through the Tower of Valni at least 2 to 3 times before starting the Lagdou Ruins, mostly for EXP and gold. It's not exactly necessary, but I'd highly recommend it just so you can get some extra levels. They always help. Ismaire is, in my opinion, the only one of the Tower of Valni characters that is worth getting, but even then, she's pretty fragile. From there, I'd personally recommend purchasing 2 or 3 weapons of your choice (though I'd recommend steel or higher) per-character (or the magical equivalent). Yes, it's over-packing, but it's better to be safe. Likewise, if you've managed to get through most of the game already, you probably have a decent amount of gold saved up. If not, you can either get more from the Lagdou Ruins or from random skirmishes. If you're okay with using the Enemy Control Glitch to your advantage, both Luna and Eclipse are good tomes to have against just about anything. To deal with the Draco Zombies, you're actually not in a bad place, since you made Moulder a Bishop. If you can manage to get your hands on a Purge tome, the "slayer" skill Bishops use will come in handy. I've found it's easy to weaken Draco Zombies with Moulder first, then to let Innes or Neimi fire a couple arrows into them. Draco Zombies are counted as flying units, meaning that a well-trained archer can absolutely annihilate them. I also occasionally use Eclipse to bring them down to half-health and then finish them off with whatever I've got. From there, it's just a matter of usual Fire Emblem gameplay. Keep a close eye on the weapon triangle and always check to see if enemy monsters have Shadowshot. If most of your units are dodging attacks, keep your powerhouses towards the back and just slowly move up as a group. As usual, going too far forward here isn't going to do you any favors. You sound like you're in pretty good shape otherwise! Good luck and have fun! If you were able to tackle the Tower of Valni without issue, you should be fine here. If not, try doing it at least once as a warm-up. Trust me, it's worth it. 

GAH. Brain fart there. Made Moulder a sage even, even though Bishops are superior, out of stubborness to have all the sacred twins useable.

8 hours ago, Terrador said:

Don't be too committed to getting your chumps EXP, that's how stupid miscalculations happen.

Slayer is broken.

Bring siege or other powerful tricks, especially for the final floor.

Also, bring Restore. Stone SUCKS.

7 hours ago, alatartheblue42 said:

A Bishop with Purge and the rest of the team with Sacred Twins (except Gleipnir), wyrmslayers, or bows makes the final floor a lot easier.

Level 5 has poison walls, you can see them, don't stand in 3 panels linearly. Level 8 has appearing and disappearing bridges like that one sidequest Night of Farewells in FE7. Level 9 is volcano, standard floor traps. Everything else is pretty standard in map layout. Enemies aren't usually going to be a problem, just make sure to check for slayers/reavers and whatnot and don't get careless.

There's no real reason to use the Sacred Twins 90% of the time. If your units are actually struggling without them, they aren't ready or just need to be kept to non-combat roles. I've always primarily stuck to Iron weapons myself, with Killers and Slayers to help coverage or the occasional Silver weapon for the people with lower damage.

Shouldn't really need to be said to an experienced player, but as a reminder get chests when possible, especially last floor. Its usually just a gem, but sometimes it can be Boots.

CC units are basically just inferior. They aren't unusable, but there's no real reason to.

Yeah, was too committed to levelling on my first run and it took ages to do each floor. Currently soloing the Tower of Valni with each character below 20/20 to make sure expect is not a distraction.