Should PoR-style Cavaliers appear again?

Corrobin

IE. Start with one weapon, and you can choose a second one on promotion.

Did you like it? Did you not? Why?

I think it is a better idea than the almost complete control of the weapon triangle they already have in most other games. They are already mounted and there is no appreciable loss in other stats to make up for that advantage. Having them be either locked to one weapon type across all characters of that class, or being locked to one type depending on the character is something I personally prefer.

Yes but Radiant Dawn did it better by nerfing them due to terrain obstacles such as ledges along with not allowing them complete weapon triangle control along with worse end game stats compared to most other classes. 

I wouldn't mind but I personally prefer RD and how they split the Cavs by having Sword/Axe Cavs share a promo line and Lance/Bow Cavs sharing a promo line. But this mainly comes from it always bugging me that Titania had Lances and Axes and not Swords and Axes in PoR.

But honestly, I would prefer them just split them up like in the Jugdral games tbh.

Yes please. I dislike how cavaliers in some games dampen another unit's overall rating just because of them having higher mobility. Having control over the weapon triangle for a first tier mounted unit isn't that balanced

Yeah, I prefer how PoR and RD did Cavaliers. Though on the other hand, I really like the Great Knight class too. Maybe that can be another promotion option alongside the Gold and Silver Knights?

Edited by Anacybele

Honestly, no. Having Axe, Lance, and Sword Cavaliers felt redundant to me in both Jugdral and PoR (have not played RD yet). Same with Fire, Thunder, and Wind Mages. 

I did enjoy having Knights and Cavs work the way PoR/RD did it, but I don't know if that's how I'd balance them.

I am still clinging to hope that indoor nerfs come back for Cavs, with dismounting at a stat loss to compensate. Just don't go overboard with it and completely fuck their weapon ranks. 

I found it a little weird on like Oscar - It's easy enough to miss the triange attack in many games already, and by not automatically choosing bows, it could be literally unavailable in PoR.

It also has a problem where the choice can lead to power gaming - 

In PoR - Axe is pretty much the best option for everyone, due to the strength based con formula / accuracy benchmarks being lower / higher mt / forged hand and silver axes

If it were implemented in something like  FE6, this would apply to Swords - There would be no real incentive (except preference/flavor) to pick bows or axes for your cavaliers.

I'm not really a fan of Judgral / Radiant Dawn's systems either... For something like Heroes, enforcing a Sword/Lance/Axe parity for every movement type is fine, but I don't see the need for seperate flier locked, armor locked, cavalry locked, classes for every weapon in a main game. Obviously this leads to multiplying the amount of classes by a factor of 3 (or even more if applying to magic/bows/staffs as well). I kind of think it could make the new fire emblem (or for current examples, romhacks using edited class trees) look bloated and selling itself on what is really a non-feature. 

Letting unpromoted cavalry units pick their additional weapon on promotion was a little overpowering on a class that is already much too good.

I think Weapon-Knights might be better than just the Lance-Sword most of the franchise does. Call it bloat, it is unfair that Cavs are practically the only unpromoted class with multiple weapon types. Not a single common infantry class has done that, including Armors, all of whom are in general theory supposed to have better combat over the greater mobility of horseback units. Unless you make indoors bad enough for Cavs, toss in enough anti-cav weapons, or balance their stats sufficiently, the two weapon types thing is a bit much.

I felt RD did balance horses decently via other means- albeit it had the issue of Part 3, a big hunk of the game's meat, completely outdoors save for the lava cave battle. And I think Fates actually made horsies rather balanced too, Peri, Silas, Siegbert, and Sophie weren't overpowering, and SoV... well it is still something of a black sheep, but for reasons, Cavs were decently balanced here.