FE8 - Rewrite (Prologue-Route Split)

Terper :)

4 hours ago, Terper :) said:

As I said, the Eirika and Neimi support is a new one that is not one I will necessarily be making romantic. 

And none of the new support pairings are made with the point of writing or not writing romance, or because I do or don't want teh gay. I want to write a Joshua and Ephraim support because they are very similar characters who go through very similar things and can talk about those things and realize new things about themselves that way (for example, Ephraim realizes he'd really like to see Joshua's 'Audhulma'). The Ephraim and Saleh support will exist because Ephraim, in the base game, is far too "cool" a character. The focus is not "hey they should bang", but "hey Ephraim needs a support in which he can be goofy and lighthearted in a charming way".

And no I will not introduce any S-ranks or anything.

Sounds like you have everything under control then! I've played the first couple chapters of this and I've liked everything so far, especially the alterations to Eirika's characterization.

Hello Terp,

I am curious if you are planning to add some custom classes like Halberdiers, bow knights/generals etc. And I looking forward to the dialogue/story changes, I like FE8 but it has some issues with character development and the story

Played through recently, up to chapter 1 and gotta say I liked the differences in the scenes, Valter's conversation was extended and other things like Eirika actually reacting like a person to her father's imminent demise and by extension the kingdom.

I think I have some better grasp now on some feedback because typing about Valter just made me remember something that had always bugged me in the vanilla game.

During boss battles especially between Caellach and Joshua those were pretty cool and insightful in a sense, maybe you can leave those but people like Valter and maybe any other bosses I thought lacked those conversations between certain characters unlike in FE7. I know Valter doesn't say anything to Seth again during that later encounter, and my first time I was kinda surprised considering what happened in the beginning. So was wondering if you were able to add any other extra boss dialogue's like joshua's and Caellach.

I'm not too sure on the others on who would have something to say but Valter I can imagine he'd have lots to say perhaps, I always figured Gerik and Caellach would have something to say since they were big time mercenaries but yeah hopefully if you can find something to work with on that, if not these changes are pretty interesting.

I have no plans on adding any new classes at the moment. During this period I want to avoid as much feature bloat as possible. It's possible in the future, but right now, no plans.

All the enemy generals will have greatly expanded roles in the story, and may or may not be fought in the same places that they are fought in the original. Valter in particular will have a lot more impact on characters, and I really love writing his dialogue so he's sure to have as many conversations as I can possibly squeeze out of him.

Anyhow, I am done with Chapter 9, and will now be moving on to Chapter 10. 

I basically made this account to ask this, so here goes. I've played the first chapter and am liking it already - Eirika's more human, a bit panicked, which feels right. I'm playing this on an emulator on Android, and you say you're not done the whole thing.

1. Will it be possible to load in the later chapters as you complete them, or should I hold off on playing so I don't have to start from the beginning when you upload more?

2. Is there any chance you'll upload a script so I can refer back if necessary?

Anyways, this seems pretty cool. Looking forward to seeing where it goes.

Thanks!

1. Unless I make drastic changes to set up flags during earlier chapters, you should be free to continue with your save. The biggest issue is that I haven't really accounted for balance as Ephraim, Forde and Kyle joins you, so they may bit a under-/overpowered, and any balance changes made to their base stats from here on won't be accounted for if you keep going with a save in which they've already joined you. If I make a big enough change that it requires earlier flags to be set, then I am going to share saves from the start of the next arc, so people won't need to replay those chapters themselves.

2. Sure, why not, I'll look into doing that. Not until the hack is complete, though, since even the script in the current patch is subject to change.

Edited by Terper :)

So I went ahead and played through until the end of current version. Really enjoyed it. Thoughts so far, spoiler'd just in case:

Spoiler

I like that the changes are mostly subtle and you don't change things that already worked.  The line changes feel natural; if I haven't just finished the original game recently, I probably would've missed a lot of them. Pretty interesting to see how just a slight change here and there could increase the sense of urgency and brought a bit more personality out of the characters. Feels like the story is way more character-driven now, especially with Eirika's vulnerability and Ephraim's hubris underlined in a way that's consistent with their personality & history. 

Really appreciated the extra scenes with the side characters (Tana ribbing on poor Moulder is my fave; Tana in general feels like the character that benefit the most from this re-write so far). Maybe it's the because of the blandness of the two main lords in the original game, but I always felt that the cast of FE8 is largely underappreciated. Plenty of opportunity  to have fun scenes with this bunch, and expand beyond the blandness of the main script that is mostly just 'Advance the Plot!" after a certain point. 

Minor issues I've encountered:

-The game crashed on me at the end of intro text of Chapter 5, just before the chapter title screen. Reset just fine afterward, possibly just an emulator issue

-Having Natasha killed in Chapter 5 (the chapter you get her) didn't get me a Game Over

-The music didn't shift to the proper battle music during my attacking phase in the Side Chapter (Ephraim and co's attack of Renvall). 

Otherwise, it's smooth sailing in terms of bugs and glitches. 

I played on Difficult.... a nerfed Seth and new Game Over condition makes things a bit more of a proper challenge, but it's still very manageable (*not that I'm playing for LTC or ranks though). The new monster-slaying weapons are very handy to get a lot of characters up to speed, though I wonder if they would make the monster-heavy maps too much of a cakewalk.... I assume they won't just be handed out like candies tho (and I certainly wouldn't complain once Ghost Ship rolls 'round....)

So yeah. I doubt if this can change the mind of anyone who already hate FE8 or deeply ambivalent about it, but it should be really fun and interesting for those who counted the game among their favorites and/or have some affection towards its cast. Looking forward to the next release. 

Thanks for playing and enjoying it!

Spoiler

You really don't need to change a lot here in the early sections, only add - mostly because there's really not a lot TO change. The cast is small, and whenever there's a lull in the progression of the story, that's an easy opportunity to expand on Eirika's character. The changes in the story are subtle, but they ARE there, and they act as foreshadowing into new things going forward. As the game progresses into its second, but particularly its third act, things will be changed in less subtle ways, and things will be removed or changed entirely. In order to keep the pacing of the story decently good, several chapters from Ephraim's route WILL be excised completely, and yes, one will be the Phantom Ship, which no longer exists at all (the only point it served in the narrative was preventing the ships from going to Rausten at the start of Eirika's route... but she's not going to Rausten anymore, so it's useless).

Smaller group scenes may appear throughout, but the really big ones that serve both character and thematic/narrative purpose will be rare - expect something similar to how they worked for Eirika's development, but for Ephraim, only as we approach the end of the second act. And then, only characters who can somehow connect to Ephraim. You'll notice that neither Colm nor Joshua were part of the group scenes for Eirika, and that's because they do not have a solid emotional connection to Eirika (Garcia and Gilliam, while in spirit similar to Ephraim, carry themselves more like father-figures, which makes their words resonate with Eirika more (the same applies to Moulder)). Joshua and Colm can have that connection to Ephraim, and so they will appear in those group scenes. 

I'll look into and test those bugs you mentioned, thanks! And no, I don't think there will be any more monster-killing weapons - those are what you get (there will be less monster maps anyway).

Edited by Terper :)

• 6 months later...
  • 1 year later...

Have there been any updates to this project recently? I watched MageKnight404's showcase video and I'm in love with this story rewrite. Sacred Stones was my first Fire Emblem games but its mostly bland characters have grated on me as I've replayed it over the years. Being able to see the likes of Eirika, Seth and Hayden with more realistic reactions to their situations (Like Seth worrying over Eirika's mental state) helps to maintain my immersion and I'm thankful to Terper for enabling me to enjoy this game with a fresh coat of paint 😄

• 3 months later...

Hello everyone. I'm been following this project for a few months (and loving it!) but it doesn't appear like Terper has been around for years 😞 In the interest of seeing this project continue, I took it upon myself to pick up from where he left off (and boy did he do a good job!).

Now, before you start getting apprehensive about someone unattached to the original writing team picking this up, I want to make a few things clear:

Spoiler

- I intend to stay true to the spirit of the characters Terper has written
- I won't be completely rewriting the first 8 chapters of the original beta
- I want to focus on story changes first. Gameplay changes (like the skills system) are being considered but a lower priority.
- I have the time and means to give regular updates, so unless an apocalypse happens I won't drop off the face of the Earth 😛

This patch includes a few added lines sprinkled throughout the first 8 chapters to give some character actions a bit more weight than Terper originally did (Looking at you Garcia 👀)
In addition, I've also added in chapter 9 that was played on MageKnight404's channel way back in October 2018. (I decided to leave off Amelia until a little later because getting all 3 trainees so fast is a little overkill.)

Here's some screenshots of my own dialogue that I've added in alongside Terper's.

Spoiler

screenshot1.png.ecdf718df76df1f5c345d1ac5537fc1c.pngscreenshot2.png.240f5f794a398eb7ec921f21bfba523f.pngscreenshot3.png.354b067f1202740b323d371326ac238b.pngscreenshot4.png.a66cbf02a0613548b4f700a1ddc1e767.png

This patch only goes up to the end of chapter 9 (as from there I have to start making fresh content). If you want to play it, apply this patch to a clean Fire Emblem Sacred Stones rom using a UPS patcher (Google is your friend). I'm open to any suggestions anyone may have for future characters and scenes. Enjoy 🙂 

Hi there!!! Yeah, I haven't been here to post! But rest assured that I am still working on it, slow as it may be (and it is). Plans during recent months had been to get the second patch out this February, but that won't be possible (work has me so frazzled I'm in bed by 8pm lol). I'm absolutely going to make sure that it'll be available this year, along with a huge heaping of supports. Once it's out, I'm planning on getting some folks on board to get it done in a timely frame. Thank you everyone who has kept interest in this project for so many years after its unveiling!!

As for your work, absolutely feel free to continue with what you're doing!! I'm very happy that this thing has cracked open ideas in others' heads. I won't make any of the work I've done so far since the first patch available until the second patch is out (and the third patch would be the completed project (well bugfixes and small things could be added BUT WHATEVER)), but everyone is 99% free to do whatever* they want with this thing. 

*do not under any circumstances use my work to produce bad vibes

2 hours ago, Terper :) said:

Hi there!!! Yeah, I haven't been here to post! But rest assured that I am still working on it, slow as it may be (and it is). Plans during recent months had been to get the second patch out this February, but that won't be possible (work has me so frazzled I'm in bed by 8pm lol). I'm absolutely going to make sure that it'll be available this year, along with a huge heaping of supports. Once it's out, I'm planning on getting some folks on board to get it done in a timely frame. Thank you everyone who has kept interest in this project for so many years after its unveiling!!

As for your work, absolutely feel free to continue with what you're doing!! I'm very happy that this thing has cracked open ideas in others' heads. I won't make any of the work I've done so far since the first patch available until the second patch is out (and the third patch would be the completed project (well bugfixes and small things could be added BUT WHATEVER)), but everyone is 99% free to do whatever* they want with this thing. 

*do not under any circumstances use my work to produce bad vibes

Hi Terper! That's awesome news! I assume SnakeMom got in contact with you 😀 I'm glad to know the hack is still being worked on.

Totally understand the work situation, I'm just glad the hack is still in development. I had 95% of chapter 10 written, but if you're still around I'll leave it to you. Or if you'd like we could discuss ideas on Discord or I could help with bug fixing etc. whatever you want 😄 Really love what you've done so far ❤️

• 11 months later...
  • 3 weeks later...
  • 1 year later...

Oh wow, Terper actually replied.

Looks like it went quiet again though. 

That's a shame. At least we have chapter 9 recreated by this Nindo person, so that's something. 

Is there anybody in contact with Terper to see if they're still interested? I'd really like to see more ☺️