Alvis and Aida

Jotari

Math Time! According to Fire Emblem Treasure, Azel was born around the same time Victor died and Cigyun went AWOL. The same article also tells us Alvis was seven years old at the time. Now we don't know Azel or Alvis' precise age in canon, but the manga lists Azel as 18 (and Deirdre as 17, which makes sense given Cigyun would have been pregnant with her when she fled, so wether it's canon or not, it at least adheres to continuity). So if Alvis is seven years older than Azel, that would put him at 25 at the start of the first generation. Three years later, when he incinerates Sigurd, he'd be 28. Accordingly, his birth year would be 732.

Now, Thracia's character ages reveal that Cyas is 27, presumably in the year 776 (I say presumably because half that game actually takes place in 777, despite the title). That would give him a birth year of 749. So that means when Aida and Alvis got together, Alvis was late sixteen/early seventeen. So eh...not all that surprising. I actually did this calculating because I was getting a younger figure by assuming Alvis was roughly the same age as Sigurd, when in truth he's about three years older.

Still! For fun, let's talk about Alvis and Aida's relationship. Because it's really interesting if you think about it. Alvis' father Victor was a bit of a lech and it's one of the things Alvis hated most about him, yet Alvis went and had an affair and fathered a bastard child himself! Scandalous. No matter how hard you try to distance yourself from your blood, sometimes you just can't.

Aida's also a pretty interesting character too. We know very little about her. She only appears in Chapter 5 and the only other time she's mentioned is in the Reinhardt chapter of Thracia where they reveal she died protecting Cyas and absolutely nothing else. She doesn't have any holy blood, but we can assume she's from Velthomer. Presumably she's just some minor noble Alvis was friends with.Before playing Thracia and learning of her retconned fate, I found it really odd that she didn't reappear in the second generation. She was privy to the betrayal of Sigurd. In fact, she engineered the entire thing! It just felt narratively unfitting that her part in the plot was completely glazed over, never to be mentioned again. It's not like she was even that necessary a character, they easily could have stuck Alvis on Velthomer pegging meteors at Reptor (though I'm pretty glad they didn't).

I don't know if I have any point to make with these ramblings, or if there's much to actually talk about. But I do find it very interesting to imagine under what kind of circumstances Cyas was conceived. The retcon gives us a good glimpse into a hidden side of Alvis and says volumes about Aida's character (exactly what volumes I have no idea as she has no actual character aside from loyal to Alvis). Seems like there's good poptential for a short romantic fan fic there. It's also odd to think that, in universe, a ten year old Cyas existed when Aida was raining meteors down on Reptor. Was he hidden at that stage? Manfroy wasn't a threat yet, but he probably wasn't considered legitmate. How open was the secret that the young Duke of Velthomer was the boy's father? How did Aida manage to sucessfully juggle a career as Alvis' most trusted general and raise Cyas as a single mother (probably with Cowen's help)?

I would agree Aida has quite the untapped potential as far as the story went. I don't think there's more about her in the supplemental material, was it?

12 minutes ago, Hero_Lucina said:

Also Arvis, why did you father a kid at 16/17? That's irresponsible

Irresponsible? At that age and the times Genealogy is emulating, if even with a degree of fantasy, surprising is that Arvis wasn't being preassure to have a (known) child already despite nearing 30. I know it was stated Prince Kurth was, but that may be different being the Prince and Naga heir over Arvis, who was just a duke.

Edited by Acacia Sgt

It is interesting that Arvis sired a bastard, and it makes his marriage to Deirdre even more wrong than it is. Not only does he ruin somebody else's marriage and their kid's childhood, he ruins the relationship that he should be having as a marriage.

When FE4/5 Remakes rolls around, Aida needs a soliloquy or Memory Prism or some lines from Saias meeting with his father in FE4 Remake (just get rid of Palmark and hand Saias the Tyrfing), to explain the how and the why Aida had Arvis's child and then continued to serve him.

The impression that I, someone who hasn't played FE4 or 5 admittedly, is that Arvis wants to be kind, to love others. However, perhaps it's in his nature, and or perhaps its owing to Daddy Victor's philandering, but Arvis can't express that kindness easily even to Azelle. He is cold on the outside, with a soft core few can reach and assuage.

Aida might have penetrated that social fire wall and touched his soul once, resulting in copulation. She hides the pregnancy from the one act (I don't see them doing it multiple times), and then out of her unexplained love for him, decides to devote her life to him. And then hides Saias, at first, because a bastard would stain Arvis's reputation and be a major letdown to himself, and later because Loptyr. 

I saw her FE4 stats, she needs much better in FE4 Remake. She looks classy along the lines of Calill, or a non-evil Petrine, if not the absolute prettiest:

Spoiler

AidaAida

and I'm sure her character must be beautiful.

14 minutes ago, Acacia Sgt said:

I would agree Aida has quite the untapped potential as far as the story went. I don't think there's more about her in the supplemental material, was it?

Irresponsible? At that age and the times Genealogy is emulating, if even with a degree of fantasy, surprising is that Arvis wasn't being preassure to have a (known) child already despite nearing 30. I know it was stated Prince Kurth was, but that may be different being the Prince and Naga heir over Arvis, who was just a duke.

There wasn't really anyone to put much pressure on Alvis that mattered. He was the undisputed ruler of Velthomer and the only people he had to bow to were the royal family who had their own inheritance issues. There were probably minor nobles of Velthomer putting pressure on him, but Alvis outright murdered people for disrespecting his mother, so I doubt there were too many complaints.

21 minutes ago, Interdimensional Observer said:

It is interesting that Arvis sired a bastard, and it makes his marriage to Deirdre even more wrong than it is. Not only does he ruin somebody else's marriage and their kid's childhood, he ruins the relationship that he should be having as a marriage.

When FE4/5 Remakes rolls around, Aida needs a soliloquy or Memory Prism or some lines from Saias meeting with his father in FE4 Remake (just get rid of Palmark and hand Saias the Tyrfing), to explain the how and the why Aida had Arvis's child and then continued to serve him.

The impression that I, someone who hasn't played FE4 or 5 admittedly, is that Arvis wants to be kind, to love others. However, perhaps it's in his nature, and or perhaps its owing to Daddy Victor's philandering, but Arvis can't express that kindness easily even to Azelle. He is cold on the outside, with a soft core few can reach and assuage.

Aida might have penetrated that social fire wall and touched his soul once, resulting in copulation. She hides the pregnancy from the one act (I don't see them doing it multiple times), and then out of her unexplained love for him, decides to devote her life to him. And then hides Saias, at first, because a bastard would stain Arvis's reputation and be a major letdown to himself, and later because Loptyr. 

I saw her FE4 stats, she needs much better in FE4 Remake. She looks classy along the lines of Calill, or a non-evil Petrine, if not the absolute prettiest:

Hide contents

AidaAida

and I'm sure her character must be beautiful.

But I like Palmark :( (that is a good idea of including Cyas though...still, I like Palmark, he should have appeared in Gen 1. He was meant to have served Sigurd after all).

(apologise for the double post, Serenes is doing that thing again where it won't let me edit).

10 minutes ago, Jotari said:

There were probably minor nobles of Velthomer putting pressure on him, but Alvis outright murdered people for disrespecting his mother, so I doubt there were too many complaints.

*Checks for this*

Well that is apparently true, interesting. And it suggests that he was even more insecure and cold than I imagined he would be.

Curiously, the Treasure notes say:

From there, the mistress was grateful for Alvis, and served him by taking care of the space around him, but she also died of disease around 10 years later.

From then on, there was no sight of a woman around Alvis.

Which if Arvis was 7 at the time of Azelle's birth, would mean the no-women rule coincided with the Aida affair, perhaps it played a role in the decision? Although there is another female Mage Fighter in Velthomer's ranks I think besides Aida, so I guess he purged them only from court, not from the Velthomerian army as a whole?

I could see Aida romantically falling for Alvis, but I could also see her seducing him as a power grab. Sort of like a less evil version of Hilda. After all one of the few things we know about her is that she excels at deceit, successfully tricking both Reptor and Sigurd. It's also highly likely that Alvis could have married her if he felt like it. She seems to be of high enough standing (her father has the Baron class in Thracia and is Reinhardt's boss) and there was no one who could realistically object to it. So he actively chose not to marry her, while at the same time choosing to keep her around as his most trusted general.

Edited by Jotari

2 hours ago, Jotari said:

I could see Aida romantically falling for Alvis, but I could also see her seducing him as a power grab. Sort of like a less evil version of Hilda. After all one of the few things we know about her is that she excels at deceit, successfully tricking both Reptor and Sigurd. It's also highly likely that Alvis could have married her if he felt like it. She seems to be of high enough standing (her father has the Baron class in Thracia and is Reinhardt's boss) and there was no one who could realistically object to it. So he actively chose not to marry her, while at the same time choosing to keep her around as his most trusted general.

She died for Saias and didn't act on her relationship with Arvis during however long Saias was around before her death, so I'd guess she genuinely loved Arvis and didn't care about the power, or at the very least, it was secondary. 

3 hours ago, Jotari said:

Isn't she some kind of a naughty baby sister that plays around with the baby?

20 hours ago, Slumber said:

She died for Saias and didn't act on her relationship with Arvis during however long Saias was around before her death, so I'd guess she genuinely loved Arvis and didn't care about the power, or at the very least, it was secondary. 

Hey, you can be a gold digger and still be a good parent. But yeah, I think it's clear that she felt a large amount of loyalty to Alvis at least for her to be trusted with the task of eliminating Reptor.

19 hours ago, hanhnn said:

Isn't she some kind of a naughty baby sister that plays around with the baby?

This, I don't even understand. Are you referencing something?