If you could rewrite any SINGLE character?

Guest Dreamyboi

Guest Dreamyboi

If you could rewrite any SINGLE character in the FE series who would it be and why?

I'd prefer to keep this to singular examples but if you have multiple answers feel free to share them all and got as in depth as you want. I SHOULD get this out of the way though, when I say rewrite I DO NOT BE WRITE OUT OF EXISTENCE so please no "just remove x from the plot" types of answers. These are fixes, not erasures. 

Rewrite Kris so he doesn't steal so much of Jagen and Marth's screen time and is instead new and relevant in his own way. I'm not sure of the specifics but I could figure something out.

Seperate Sothe from micaiah

He's a great character when allowed to interact with anyone and anything else, but his relationship with micaiah really stunts his potential; that said, they should still be close, because their relationship is definitely an important, albeit overplayed aspect of his character, but just...leave the man to his own devices, jesus

FE10 Ike should be like a cool save-transfer extra a la Suikoden II. Ike being this indomitable force that the DB must inevitably clash with is cool. Ike hijacking the plot and becoming the chosen warrior-messiah is a little much

Make Alm like his Awakening portrayal. I'm replaying Echoes, and I really do think that many of Alm's scenes would be far more interesting if he had that same zeal that was evident before.

Make Fernand as human as he is in the DLC, I don't understand how they dropped the ball with him so bad in the amin story, but thhey've shown that he can be a good character, so make him just that.

It's not really a character, but change the Black Fang to a Mercenary group rather than a band of assassins. The latter is just silly, and most of the group don't  even resemble assassins.

Give every evil Sorcerer villain something else outside of being that evil sorcerer villain. The closest we got to a character was with Nergal, and even then it's locked behind rather cryptic and convoluted prerequisites.

I’d rewrite Camilla. There are worse characters (like Makalov) but those are never involved in the plot and can easily be “erased” just by killing or not recruiting them. Camilla, however, is literally shoved in our faces and you can’t avoid her.

I would cut out the obsession with Corrin and pseudo incestuous stuff entirely. (and give her some clothes, if rewriting includes redesigning). Just removing that would change nearly all of her personality, so her new personality could be anything. Although since the Nohrian siblings seem to be foils to their Hoshidan counterparts, I’d still have her personality contrast Hinoka’s. Like, calm and rational in contrast to Hinoka’s hotheadedness; acts very sophisticated and girly in contrast to her tomboyishness (like Maribelle’s personality... although I’m biased because she was one of my favorites from Awakening); more open minded towards the Hoshidans as opposed to the “Nohrian scum” thing; etc. I think it would also be interesting to see more of her relationship with her wyvern; some other characters with mounts talk about them (Cherche, Sophie, Hinoka, etc.) but I don’t think she ever does.

Micaiah would no longer be able to see the future.  She could grow as a tactician, then turn to the dark side (the oil thing) when things got especially desperate against Begnion.  Have her healing powers fail as the war drags on or something.

I would rewrite every retainer in Fates, even Oboro.

I would rewrite them so that they have some relevance in the game's story, or at least so that you would actually see the royal siblings with their retainers.  And I would rewrite the mothers/wives so that they actually feel like a part of the family outside of supports.

If it must be one character...  I'd hand it to Conquest!Takumi.  He has a good reason to become an antagonist - an excellent foundation for disliking Corrin more than anyone else.

Spoiler

Him being possessed shouldn't soil that.

And he shouldn't have a moment of redemption in some dream of Corrin's.

Perhaps he could draw upon Anankos's power when push comes to shove...

But the possession cheapens the conflict.  If it wasn't for the fact that his final map is so challenging, you'd be left just feeling disappointed with him being the final boss.  Especially if you beat him after coming hot off the heals of Birthright or Revelation's final bosses.  You go from big, scary dragons to... angry, buff corpse that somehow learned to clone itself.

I wanna say Xander but I feel even that wouldn't save Fates' awful story on its own.

But I would make him less whiny, not a blind follower to Garon, creeped out/disgusted by Peri (since I can't also rewrite or delete her), and more like the conflicted but ultimately good leader he was meant to be, instead of the cowardly guy that pretends to be wiser than he is that we got.

Rewrite the Awakening children so that the have more presence in the plot. It makes no sense to exclude them and they should have really been more integral to it. Maybe adding a whole future arc where you go to their timeline and fix it as opposed to just having them wander around in a world that’s not theirs.

Laurent in particular feels like he should have more going on. Ending up farther in the past and essentially becoming older than Lucina feels like it should be elaborated upon. Maybe make it so that he appears multiple times in the story trying to prevent Grima from resurrecting like Lucina but have it be more of a behind the scenes work like infiltrating the Grimleal or something instead of just aimlessly wandering about.

2 hours ago, AlphaZero said:

It's not really a character, but change the Black Fang to a Mercenary group rather than a band of assassins. The latter is just silly, and most of the group don't  even resemble assassins.

There’s no assassin look though. It’s just a job so it’s accurate since assassinating corrupt Nobels is what they do. Mercenaries would go against their ideals and would give them no motive as an enemies since it’s not like Nergal is loaded and paying them for their service so no one would be doing his bidding. Just feels like too big of a change without rewriting the whole story.

I'd rewrite Faye to give her more outside of her crush on Alm. I could see two ways to go about this; either keep the Alm crush and use it as a way to help her grow beyond it or downplay the crush in favor of something new. In the latter case, I'd have her be incredibly loyal to her friends, but lacking a purpose or drive; Alm and the other villagers join The Deliverance for a reason of their own, but Faye joins to ensure Alm's safety (in this case it would be for the safety of all her friends). The Silque support would need to be tweaked to keep the overall events unchanged, possibly by making Faye slow to warm-up to others but realizing her mistake and befriending Silque. I've even seen a couple of people suggest that Faye could travel with Silque during her healing of victims and I like the idea, as it shows that they overcame their rocky start to become close friends and it gives Faye a goal of her own beyond just being there for her friends.

Garon and Mikoto - I have no problem with the premise of Fates' story/stories. It's the execution of it that annoys me. I think Garon should have been more like Rudolf, as in he genuinely cares about his children. (Not saying who Rudolf's offspring is in case you haven't played Echoes yet. If you haven't, go pick up a copy... please.) I really think Garon could have been a good villian. I also think Mikoto shouldn't have been written off as early as she was in vanilla Fates. Mikoto should have been another villain, IMO, instead of being Japanese Emmeryn.

Peri - I could do an entire rewrite of her, because she COULD have had potential. However, that would take too long for this one little thread. So I will link it in my signature once I'm done with it.

Echoes stuff:
Does expansion count as rewriting? Well, I hope it does, because I'm putting it here anyways. I do say I like all of characters present in Echoes, and I do feel like a lot of them have distinct and enjoyable personalities which are quite easy to detect even after only a few seconds of them being on screen. However, a few don't really get enough screen time to actually flourish. Some prime examples for me are Kliff and Tatiana. Also spoilers ahead, possibly. I'll just put the whole thing in a spoilers tab just in case.

Spoiler

Kliff - Although I do think that Kliff is a good character, you barely see him at all. Heck, you could cut him from the game and people would be like "huh, wasn't the third villager a guy before?" He only gets one support with Tobin, which, although a good support, kind of confirms what we already know about Kliff's personality: standoffish, unsocial, , etc.. Maybe he should have gotten more supports, perhaps one with Alm, Gray, Luthier, or maybe even Clive and/or Forsyth. Heck, I could just write a list of supports that should have happened for everyone (which I might do... later). Yeah, so I really do like Kliff, but we don't see enough of him. 

Tatiana also doesn't get enough depth, IMO. She DOES play a pivotal role in recruiting another character, Zeke, and he already HAS a lot of backstory (because he's Camus). However, I'm slightly irritated that we don't get to see her personality for too long. She also only has a singular support with Zeke, although it is sweet. I think this should be expanded upon. Mathilda should be included as another support, because they both have lovers in the army. I also feel that Silque should also be included as a potential support partner, because they share common ground in the fact that they are both driven by faith, and are both members of religion. I like Tatiana, and her relationship with Zeke is cute, but it's sad that she doesn't get more character expansion. 

Easily Garon because not only is he uniquely awful but fixing him also ends up decreasing or outright removing problems that work against other character.

Its Garon who causes the chain reaction that drags the entire story through the mud. Garon being so irredeemable evil undermines the choice between the kingdoms and makes Hoshidan seem like the objectively better choice because its not ruled by Garon. Its because Garon is so evil that Xander faces criticism for his Camus tendencies. If Garon had at least some redeeming qualities this would no longer be the case. Its its through Gooron that Garon initiates the so reviled crystal ball nonsense. 

This problem can be quite easily be fixed by doing one of two things.

Either have the original Garon be part of the plot and have him be assassinated and replaced with Gooron at a time the player has already started to know, respect and sympathize with Garon.

The other option is to have Gooron at least pretend he's Garon which in the current story isn't even remotely the case. He may wear the skin of Garon but anyone and their mom can see its not the same Garon that he used to be. Having Gooron put up a convincing acts or exploiting the royals feelings towards him would already be a great start in fixing Fates issues.

The way i would rewrite Faye is that, she still has her Alm obsession but we get more details on why. The implications we get is that this developed after Alm saved her from Slayde and the more intense parts ("I'll kill in your name") are a result of some sort of war trauma going on. If we could go more in depth into this, it'd make Faye a better character by giving her a legitmate reason for her obsession. Also, make her less of a jerk. I'd change it so that it's just that Faye has trouble communicating with girls, seeing as how, aside from Celica, all of her friends are boys. This last part is obvious but just give her more Supports, mainly with the other Ram Villagers. At the very least, i'd give her Support convos with Celica, seeing as how Faye can actually be recruited into Celica's army. The recruitment dialouge there shows friendship between the two so just expand on that. Oh, and change her ending as well. You know how in Heroes, she mentions about liking to sow flowers into bracelets and stuff (she even has a flower braclet in her Heroes art)? Yeah, just have her open a flower bracelet shop or something.

I'd also like to rewrite Azura because her role in Fates' story is a mess (her Supports are mostly fine) but i can't really figure out of way without just rewriting Fates itself. One thing i know i would do however, is make her not mysterious. It didn't work for her. And change her Revelation ending as well. I'm still salty that they pulled a "disappeared from history" ending with her.

Camilla.

Tone down on her obsession with Corrin and focus more on family in general. Focus in her supports why she is that way with the A supports having a big focus on the concubine war and let her face the things she did back then just to survive and protect those she loves.

Make her lose it in the birghtright route after Elise and Xander dies and become suicidal and no feeling sorry or being sympathetic to Corrin.

In Conquest have an actual CB flashback where we see her kill another child or if that's going too far for a Nintendo game just alude to it and/or make her kill a civilian to escape a dangerous situation.

Kent X Fiora utterly ruins 2 perfectly reasonable characters, so it definitely should be cahnged. NOt sure how exactly
The easier options is to simply remove the romance aspect, which makes both into freaking hypocrites.

...Actually removing the romance is the go-to solutions with too many supports *coughcoughawakeningcoughfatescouchcough*.  Fates brothers and sisters being the main example.
I can't get invested in a game where I can date my little sister, sorry (or older/brother, but you get the point.)...

But Fiora falling for Kent makes sense since they are very much alike. So changing B support may be the actual best option. I don't feel there's much to change either here honestly. Simply removing the details about intimacy, and taking a broader approach would help.

Another small change I'd do would be to tone down Farina's money obsession just one bit. Having prefectly good supports like Fiora X Farina (or Farina X Dorcas for the matter) ruined for a cheap joke is particularily grating (Fiora X Farina especially.) On the same topic... Hector XFarina shouldn't end up as a pairing. Outside the somewhat unfortunate implications (Farina is paid), there's zero chemestry between those two (the CG itself acknowledge this.) Hector X Serra would nearly maks more sens, if you really need a third pairing. And it's not that romantic either.to begin with.

6 minutes ago, Tamanoir said:

Kent X Fiora utterly ruins 2 perfectly reasonable characters

blasphemy!

7 hours ago, Hekselka said:

Camilla.

Tone down on her obsession with Corrin and focus more on family in general. Focus in her supports why she is that way with the A supports having a big focus on the concubine war and let her face the things she did back then just to survive and protect those she loves.

Make her lose it in the birghtright route after Elise and Xander dies and become suicidal and no feeling sorry or being sympathetic to Corrin.

In Conquest have an actual CB flashback where we see her kill another child or if that's going too far for a Nintendo game just alude to it and/or make her kill a civilian to escape a dangerous situation.

On 4/3/2018 at 11:50 PM, ShadowAlchemist said:

I’d rewrite Camilla. There are worse characters (like Makalov) but those are never involved in the plot and can easily be “erased” just by killing or not recruiting them. Camilla, however, is literally shoved in our faces and you can’t avoid her.

I would cut out the obsession with Corrin and pseudo incestuous stuff entirely. (and give her some clothes, if rewriting includes redesigning). Just removing that would change nearly all of her personality, so her new personality could be anything. Although since the Nohrian siblings seem to be foils to their Hoshidan counterparts, I’d still have her personality contrast Hinoka’s. Like, calm and rational in contrast to Hinoka’s hotheadedness; acts very sophisticated and girly in contrast to her tomboyishness (like Maribelle’s personality... although I’m biased because she was one of my favorites from Awakening); more open minded towards the Hoshidans as opposed to the “Nohrian scum” thing; etc. I think it would also be interesting to see more of her relationship with her wyvern; some other characters with mounts talk about them (Cherche, Sophie, Hinoka, etc.) but I don’t think she ever does.

...thats honestly the only major thing I think you need to remove + replace to make Camilla into a sensible character. With just a few minor tweaks beyond that she works as a menacing seductress who contrasts against Hinoka's tomboyishness ( and Sakura's shyness and Elise's innocence, for that matter).

I don't think you have to go so far as covering her up, or completely changing her character and turning her into a calm, collected sophisticate. 

On 4/4/2018 at 2:38 AM, TheZakkAttack said:

Peri - I could do an entire rewrite of her, because she COULD have had potential. However, that would take too long for this one little thread. So I will link it in my signature once I'm done with it.

Everything about Peri is so bad that its hard to really know where to start with her--how do redesign her in a way where her character is still recognizably "Peri" but not...terrible...

I think the way I would go about salvaging Peri is too focus in on 3 things we know about her, that on-there-own are not completely over the top and could make for an interesting character:

1) She's the daughter of a noble house
2)  She has no apparent sense of right and wrong
3)  She's immature to such an extreme that her mannerisms and emotional outbursts can be described as "infantile."

...so what I'd do is cut out all the psycho killer crap...its unneeded, its workable, and it crowds out more interesting character traits.

And I'd turn Peri into the affluenza teen. (i.e. imagine Claire and Clarine. Now take away the parts of their character that makes them caring and kind; keep only the part that make them out-of-touch, self-absorbed rich girls with no self-awareness and no sense of how the world outside of her family mansion really works. Now add a fundamental ignorance that bad behavior has consequences and the emotional maturity of a 5 year old, because no matter how ridiculous her tantrums got and how unreasonable her demands became she was only ever told what a perfect little girl she is. And she's never had a problem in life that she couldn't fix by throwing a violent fit + screaming "I'm telling daddy!")

Basically just play up that she's a spoiled, immature, ill-tempered brat. 

Related image

...that actually doesn't look so bad now...

On 4/4/2018 at 5:00 AM, Etrurian emperor said:

Easily Garon because not only is he uniquely awful but fixing him also ends up decreasing or outright removing problems that work against other character.

Its Garon who causes the chain reaction that drags the entire story through the mud. Garon being so irredeemable evil undermines the choice between the kingdoms and makes Hoshidan seem like the objectively better choice because its not ruled by Garon. Its because Garon is so evil that Xander faces criticism for his Camus tendencies. If Garon had at least some redeeming qualities this would no longer be the case. Its its through Gooron that Garon initiates the so reviled crystal ball nonsense. 

This problem can be quite easily be fixed by doing one of two things.

Either have the original Garon be part of the plot and have him be assassinated and replaced with Gooron at a time the player has already started to know, respect and sympathize with Garon.

The other option is to have Gooron at least pretend he's Garon which in the current story isn't even remotely the case. He may wear the skin of Garon but anyone and their mom can see its not the same Garon that he used to be. Having Gooron put up a convincing acts or exploiting the royals feelings towards him would already be a great start in fixing Fates issues.

Yeah. I don't like villains that are obvious at first. Garon basically had  a neon sign that said "Bad guy" when I first saw him. It's the same reason why I dislike Validar. But Garon has it worse, since pretty much all of Validar's minions, (except Aversa) are evil themselves, while the Nohrian siblings and retainers, who clearly have a conscience, follow Garon. Especially bad for Xander, since it basically takes Garon outright saying he's evil to get him to turn on him.

In my rewrite, Nohr is losing a war against Hoshido. It's made ambiguous who started the war. Both Mikoto and Garon are shown to love their children, but show no mercy to enemies. Also, depending on which route you pick, the enemy royal becomes corrupted by Anankos.

And another thing. Maybe we should have seen the real Garon in Valla. The Hoshidan siblings, Corrin, and Azura face their own parents, so why not the Nohrians?

Another character I would expand would be Rinkah. Why don't we see her Tribe? We see the Wind and Ice Tribe, so it seems like a weird choice not to include the Fire Tribe.

Peri also needs some rewrite. I would make her a capturable boss. Maybe a rogue Nohrian general, similar to Hans. You'd have the opportunity to choose between sparing her or not.

10 minutes ago, CyberController said:

And another thing. Maybe we should have seen the real Garon in Valla. The Hoshidan siblings, Corrin, and Azura face their own parents, so why not the Nohrians?

This. Like why couldn’t chapter 26 or even 27 have you fighting garon and when you defeat him you have a little emotional death scene for him and then wham anankos shows up and devours him causing the final chapter. Instead we got a really stupid and obvious traitor in the form of gunter and then garon kind of just shows up and gets devoured like 2 seconds after he appears.

Come to think of it, definitely Odin.

Out of the Awakening trio Odin is the only one who's barely changed despite being in his second game. Inigo is more mature and the more competent of his retainer duo and Severa learned to be a decent human being but Odin is still the same Owain from Awakening. This is a bit of a problem because him not growing while his partners do reflects poorly on him but its also at odds with his role. Owain is supposed to be wacky and unpredictable but now that Odin uses the gimmick for a second time his antics because predictable and dull. 

To improve Odin they could have made him like Xenoblade's Zeke. Zeke is also noble with the exact same wacky antics of screaming how big a hero he is and how awesome his made up super attacks are. But Zeke's antics also comes with an off button where he drops the crazy part of his persona and acts like a real prince and a real hero. He doesn't do this for fleeting moments like Owain but for extended periods of time when a competent adult is needed. Odin gaining such an off button would be quite the character growth. 

Give Peri an actual reason for her craziness. Instead of just "Lol murder is fun"

And give a damn good reason as to why Xander would want her as a retainer. I seriously would not trust her for anything, especially a role like this.

Edited by Faellin

17 minutes ago, Faellin said:

Give Peri an actual reason for her craziness. Instead of just "Lol murder is fun"

well actually peri does have a reason as to why she acts the way she does. If you read her laslow support, it is revealed that when she was little one of the servants killed her mother so that he could have her all to himself. being such a young child at the time, all the servants really all looked the same to her so for revenge she just started killing all the servants when she got angry and it sort of became a habit. Her father knew of this as well and just let it happen. That's the reason peri acts the way she does. the second part of your statement I do agree with however.

Edited by Otts486

32 minutes ago, Faellin said:

And give a damn good reason as to why Xander would want her as a retainer. I seriously would not trust her for anything, especially a role like this.

Xander had a perfectly good reason for taking on Peri. He was thinking with his pants :):

On 4/5/2018 at 10:30 AM, Shoblongoo said:

blasphemy!

Hmm... 

Honestly, I didn't pick up on the implication until somebody said it to me. It is subtle enough that I think those with a more innocent/unassuming mind wouldn't get it.

It is a breath of fresh air. Two disciplined goodie-goods with harmonious personalities slip up with each other rather than be flawlessly perfect at keeping their moral high ground. And in a sense, maybe their natures made it easier for it to happen. If Fiora had a Sain support, all his pestering would cause her to keep her guard up, which would keep Sain from getting what he wanted. Fiora thinks she doesn't need her guard up for Kent, because Kent is a gentleman. She likes that he respects how she wants to be treated, Kent the same of her, and because both know they won't be uncouth to the other, so they can allow themselves to get closer to each other. They get close, they bond intimately, and viola, the mistake. While I can expect Saphy and Rhys to restrain themselves at all times, some modest individuals may not be able to exercise complete control, they're human after all.

This said, Fiora's last line "Well...Perhaps... it can wait..." sounds a little too naughty, a little too "I would like some more first". That I can see changing as being a little too into the fallen angels camp. Them trying to regain their morality by ending such physical closeness in their amor until the present journey is over, would possibly be more appropriate.

As for a character I would change, I would pick Ilyana. Downplay her hunger, play up the Convoy Four as her family whom she loves traveling the world with despite her sickliness. Fill her supports with talk of Brothers Jorge and Daniel, and Mama Aimee and Daddy Muston. Not that hard to turn this blight on Tellius to a decent character. Devdan/Danved on the other hand...