Ask a stupid question, get a stupid answer

Dragoncat

If they have to mark their territory, why not claim something that could potentially save lives?

How can Xenonauts simultaneously solve most of the original XCOM's problems while increasing some of the bullcrap?

• Replies 11.2k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Dragoncat

• null

• Sooks

• DragonFlames

The devs don't have their priorities straight?

Why does Team Aqua want to increase the amount of water in a region that already has more water than any other Pokemon region sans Alola?

You can design your own characters, it appears to be one of the few games where you still have to draw the map yourself, there seems to be a lot of customization options for skills and such, and it may or may not have a lot of charm.

Spoiler

Tried the demo today. Didn't know what to expect, so my original party selection... honestly wasn't that good. It was also a lot longer than I thought it would be to set everything up. There are quite a few options of how to design the characters, even though it was partially annoying how ambiguous the gender on some classes were (so I just gave them a gender-neutral name). Haven't gotten very far, but I might try it again later.

19 hours ago, Dragoncat said:

The devs don't have their priorities straight?

Spoiler

Xenonauts:

• Forget having to worry about buying every single clip and grenade you'll use as well as having to bring 20 flares along in case it's a night mission; we have an unlimited supply of ammunition back at base.
  • There is now well defined cover, so you no longer have to wonder whether or not that wooden table will block an alien bullet.
  • You can open doors from the side, so breaching is less terrifying.
  • YOU CAN ACTUALLY TELL HOW MANY TIME UNITS MOVING A SOLDIER WILL COST!
  • We do autopsies for you, so don't worry about that. Also our labs come with interrogation chambers, so don't worry about that either.
  • Speaking of capturing, stun grenades exist, so you no longer have to walk up to an alien and whap them on the head with a stun baton (although you can still do so if you want).
  • Don't worry about buying lost aircraft. We'll just repair it.
  • You can airstrike crashed UFO's if you don't feel like going through another battle and potentially loosing a soldier, and you even get paid for it!
  • Policemen, military personnel, and farmers with shotguns can actually fend for themselves.

Also Xenonauts:

• "It appears that alien alloys would make for an incredibly good material for armor... if only we had the ability to machine, forge or even cut it."
  • Thought that month of researching psionics would go somewhere? HAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHA! We dearly hope you had some resources put into researchingMAG weapons, or you may have just lost the game right now.
  • Don't bother building anything for profit; it sells at half-price.
  • We don't want alien corpses on the black market! Destroy them! Oh, but sell the guns and other alien crap we can't use. Our researchers only need one of them.
  • EAT MISSILE, ALIEN SCUM! ...oh... UFO's can barrel roll...
  • Alien fingers and hands are not shaped like human fingers and hands. What where you expecting when you picked up that rifle from their dead body.

Me: Shoot! We're sitting ducks out here! Hopefully, a smoke grenade will even the odds...

*Soldier tosses it over the opposite side of the wall*

Me: WHAT ARE YOU DOING?!?!?

Cue two dead redshirts.

Can raccoons jump?

21 hours ago, IfIHadToPickADude said:

Would you give your throat to the world with the Red Roses?

...No.

Wait, do you mean "give my throat" as in "singing" or "rip out my throat and hand it to you"?

...The answer is no either way.

21 hours ago, IfIHadToPickADude said:

(Also @Hawkwing are you playing the demo to EOIV or EOV? It definitely doesn't sound like the demos to the Untold games.)

EOV. Admittedly, I just found the first EO game that appeared and downloaded the demo. Being fair, I was in a rush, and I didn't get to play it until the next day.

@IfIHadToPickADude Is there any noticeable difference between the games?

The Untold games are remakes of (as of August, 13th, 2018) the first two games and have their own story mode, EOI to EOU2 have a limited pool of portraits to choose from with no chaging the skin color or hair color, the classes are different, where the game takes place are different, monsters/FOEs/Bosses are different, there are no voice lines for your adventurers in any entry before EOV. 

TL;DR: A lot of differences between the games.

Why does Prince have some of the best outfits I've ever seen?

On 8/12/2018 at 6:51 PM, Hawkwing said:

Tried the demo today. Didn't know what to expect, so my original party selection... honestly wasn't that good. It was also a lot longer than I thought it would be to set everything up. There are quite a few options of how to design the characters, even though it was partially annoying how ambiguous the gender on some classes were (so I just gave them a gender-neutral name). Haven't gotten very far, but I might try it again later.

Every class has two portraits for a given gender, not that gender matters at all save for one DLC boss in EOU2. It's always Male-Female-Male-Female when the portraits are lined up and you're picking them out. One way to tell is that the two portraits for a gender always share a pose. But yes, gender ambiguity is sometimes a thing, more with males, but females sometimes too.

By the way, most teams can work, and if you ever think your classes are good, but don't think you've invested in the right skills, you can use the Rest feature at the Guild, which lowers a character's level by 2, but resets all skill points, and undoes the chosen Legendary Title in EOV (these you unlock later on). There is a Memory Conch (I think that is what it is called) that becomes available not too far in in the game, whoever has it equipped will earn any experience from battle your main team gets (although they won't get non-battle EXP), making the raising of a 6th rather possible as a backup.

17 hours ago, IfIHadToPickADude said:

Wait, are cats just eldritch gods wanting to take back control of the world?

That would explain why I've been hearing cat-like voices in my head saying "Now is the time and blood is the key!   EVIL!"

If electrons, despite being much much much smaller and lighter than protons, emit the same amount of charge, albeit negative instead of positive, does that mean that the Internet and the news media are just macrocosms of the subatomic world?

Edited by Interdimensional Observer

36 minutes ago, Interdimensional Observer said:

Every class has two portraits for a given gender, not that gender matters at all save for one DLC boss in EOU2. It's always Male-Female-Male-Female when the portraits are lined up and you're picking them out. One way to tell is that the two portraits for a gender always share a pose. But yes, gender ambiguity is sometimes a thing, more with males, but females sometimes too.

Thought so. Still, a few of the portraits did make me seriously scratch my head and wonder if that was supposed to be a male or a female, although it was mostly the clothing that threw me off. More anime characters need to grow beards.

41 minutes ago, Interdimensional Observer said:

By the way, most teams can work, and if you ever think your classes are good, but don't think you've invested in the right skills, you can use the Rest feature at the Guild, which lowers a character's level by 2, but resets all skill points, and undoes the chosen Legendary Title in EOV (these you unlock later on). There is a Memory Conch (I think that is what it is called) that becomes available not too far in in the game, whoever has it equipped will earn any experience from battle your main team gets (although they won't get non-battle EXP), making the raising of a 6th rather possible as a backup.

Well, I'm not that familiar with RPGs in general, and I didn't know what to expect, so lets just say I created a bunch of characters and didn't realize which ones I put into the party and they didn't synergize well for an inexperienced player. I do have plans to try again after the initial mishap, though.

46 minutes ago, Interdimensional Observer said:

If electrons, despite being much much much smaller and lighter than protons, emit the same amount of charge, albeit negative instead of positive, does that mean that the Internet and the news media are just macrocosms of the subatomic world?

According to Ant-Man, no.

Probably not, but it is interesting to think about how such things take advantage of, or have an affect on, things on a subatomic level.

Is it red-red-green or red-green-red?

Blue-yellow-blue. Or was it Blue-Blue-Yellow? Ah, I can never remember!

1 hour ago, Hawkwing said:

More anime characters need to grow beards.

I think that over in Japan, beards are typically something that villains have and not heroes. The few examples of heroes having some kind of beard that I can think of include, Wekapipo from JoJo's Bizarre Adventure Part 7: Steel Ball Run (Although he had something closer to a full beard when he was an antagonist.) and the third Dragoon sprite from Etrian Odyssey V.

What is the sound that doves make when they cry?

...4 o clock?

Although given my experience in Marching band, It'll probably start around ten minutes late, and it'll take another ten minutes for it to actually get to the spot where you're sitting.

Why do most allusions to love involve falling?

Because Berkut is holding a squirt gun to your head and forcing you to.

You're in a metal box with no doors and no windows, all you have is a candlestick, how do you get out?

Depends on if someone has plans to kill you. After all, the water could be poisoned, or it could make for an improvised weapon in a fight. Or someone could attempt to drown you with it, even if the success rate of that last one isn't very high.

Is there a way to ask for the year and not sound like a time traveler?