Characters in the Wrong Class

Arthur from Fates isn't in an appropriate class for his personality until he promotes into Hero.

Draug's built to be a dodge tank even though he's an armor.

Lex in Genealogy is just as tanky as the actual armor knight in your initial party, but he's an axe cavalier.

And Bors from Binding Blade shouldn't be able to double, like, a third of the enemies with a friggin' javelin.  I'm sorry, but that makes no sense at all for an armor knight.  And don't think you're off the hook either, Gwendolyn.

Chapter 8 of FE6 gives us 2.

Gwendolyn, the Knight who wanted to be a Mercenary(Seriously, Gwendolyn would be a decent Soldier/Halbredier if they make that class playable in FE6 Echoes and give Wendy at least 3-4 levels) and Barthe, the Knight who wanted to be a rock. 

Edited by Slumber

5 minutes ago, Vince777 said:

Rowan wanted to be a Pegasus Knight.  

:)

You...

I mean...

You aren't technically wrong...

Donnel in Awakening wanted to be a Leprechaun.

I feel Beruka should've been a ninja given her assassin type persona and appearance.  Even her personal skill Optimist works best in the ninja class cuz ranged options for axes are pretty bad.  Her personality is also quite similar to Rutger's from FE6.

Edited by CA Valkyrie

32 minutes ago, Vince777 said:

Rowan wanted to be a Pegasus Knight.  

:)

I should commission this from an artist tbh.

Also you have Aran from FE10 who is more like a Knight than a Soldier with his defense.

1 minute ago, Etrurian emperor said:

Beruka has an odd class. She's supposed to be an assassin but I imagine the giant wyvren and close combat orientated axes makes it quite hard for the girl to do all that sneaking required for the job. 

I presume she took her class after being “adopted” by Camilla.

Still, she should have been able to reclass to a Ninja or Outlaw.

Meg and Aran should swap classes. Meg could make a decent Soldier and Aran would be an amazing Armour Knight.

Atlas should be an axe fighter but he can't cause Gaiden/SoV.

Honestly I don’t think there is often a situation where someone is in a “wrong” class, and generally speaking if they’d do better in a different class that’s probably because that class is just better. Like in Fe10 basically everyone would be better as a Wyvern rider, because it’s a good class. And no unit would be “better” as an armor knight because it’s just a bad class. And even units with weird growths usually have bases that are fitting for the class (Like Hinata is fast. His base speed more than makes up for his growth goddamit). That being said,

Ronan is a pretty obvious choice since his offensive growths make no sense, although it’s not like he would’ve been that good as a mage, since his base magic is super low (I guess the promotion gains to sage would make up for it, but still). Outside of that, Azama’s really high strength growth means he could’ve been pretty useful in a different class (ninja or sky knight especially could be good options) but unfortunately he’s a healer, so he’s mediocre.

Mustafa is a Berserker, even though he would rather not fight Chrom and admires the peace loving Emmeryrn. 

Same thing for Kumegara, a fearsome looking Oni Chieftan. He just wants to kill Garon, who by this point really needs to be offed, and doesn't want to fight the other Nohrians.

Edited by CyberController

Owain in both Fates and Awakening somewhat. In Awakening he makes for a better magic unit than a physical unit and in Fates a better physical unit than a magic unit. Not that he's completely awful in either of his starting classes but he's better off re-classed.

19 hours ago, Etrurian emperor said:

Beruka has an odd class. She's supposed to be an assassin but I imagine the giant wyvren and close combat orientated axes makes it quite hard for the girl to do all that sneaking required for the job. 

It's the last person the enemy would expect to be a surreptitious assassin, therefore she is an excellent assassin!

4 hours ago, Kahvi said:

Owain in both Fates and Awakening somewhat. In Awakening he makes for a better magic unit than a physical unit and in Fates a better physical unit than a magic unit. Not that he's completely awful in either of his starting classes but he's better off re-classed.

Doesn't that depend on who his mother is in Awakening?

Edited by Jotari

3 minutes ago, Jotari said:

Doesn't that depend on who his mother is in Awakening?

I believe you mean the father. Lissa is more magic orientated if she stays in the healer class, and even if she reclasses, she'll still have a solid magic stat. Whether or not Owain works better as a physical unit does depend on his father, but generally he'll always have at least some magic to make use of.

10 minutes ago, Hawkwing said:

I believe you mean the father. Lissa is more magic orientated if she stays in the healer class, and even if she reclasses, she'll still have a solid magic stat. Whether or not Owain works better as a physical unit does depend on his father, but generally he'll always have at least some magic to make use of.

(You are right, but I actually meant to say parents, even though Lissa will obviously always be the mother)

Fiona in RD would benefit from being literally any other class. Due to how cavaliers are barely usable in the early DB chapters.

Making her a soldier might make her a good unit actually. Her high speed and defense growths would make her an excelent dodge tank. She technically already can become one as a cavalier, but reaching that state is near impossible due to half the DB maps being unsuitable for cavaliers and making her impossible to train without BEXP abuse.

FE10 Meg, the knight who wanted to best the fastest knight ever! She has high spd and lck compared to her def

Meg would have made an amazing pegasus knight.

Edited by Faellin

20 hours ago, Aut said:

Honestly I don’t think there is often a situation where someone is in a “wrong” class, and generally speaking if they’d do better in a different class that’s probably because that class is just better. Like in Fe10 basically everyone would be better as a Wyvern rider, because it’s a good class. And no unit would be “better” as an armor knight because it’s just a bad class.

Truth. Maybe one could make a point that caps have an impact in FE10, and that hitting them early can help a unit to boost their weak areas (Nolan as a warrior says hi), so there might be cases where certain bases/growths go better with a particular class's caps, but that's a very specific constellation to bring up. ;)

23 hours ago, Ertrick36 said:

Draug's built to be a dodge tank even though he's an armor.

This is something that's quite common in the DS games, or at least in FE11. Nabarl's personal speed growth is middling (25, compared to 40 on Draug or the xmas cavs), Merric only has 10% personal magic growth (the same as Cord and Caesar - at least Linde is the character with the best magic growth), the Axe bros only have 0-10% personal HP growth (compare that to Merric's and Nabarl's 40%)...

If we only look at growths, we can single out Palla, though. She has 0% personal speed growth in FE11, while Shiida, Catria, and Est have 60%, 40%, and 30%, respectively. In NMotE, it's not any better. Looking at base stats, Yubello takes the cake with his negative 2 base magic.

I suppose it's mostly teething problems of the reclassing feature - they generally tried to keep the ultimate (i.e. personal+class) stats somewhat balanced in the characters base classes, so characters tend to have high stats in their default class's weak areas and vice versa.

--

€:

4 minutes ago, Faellin said:

Fiona in RD would benefit from being literally any other class. Due to how cavaliers are barely usable in the early DB chapters.

Fiona's base stat's are just irredeemably bad though, so she'd still be horrible in any other class. As is, she's at least a high movement unit with a 34 speed cap in her tier 3 class for the endgame;.Not that this would make the ordeal of using her worthwhile, of course.

Edited by ping

Fiona's base stat's are just irredeemably bad though, so she'd still be horrible in any other class. As is, she's at least a high movement unit with a 34 speed cap in her tier 3 class for the endgame;.Not that this would make the ordeal of using her worthwhile, of course.

True, but if she wasn't stuck as a cavalier, she would atleast be possible to train properly. Just as is, she is practically unusable due to a majority of the DB chapters being full of terrain that screws over cavaliers super hard.

Edited by Faellin