Create a Class

Mandokarla

If you could choose to create a new class for a fire emblem game, what would it be? Assume Fates' skill system, because I find it fun. 

For me, I've long played with a few concepts for mage classes, because I'll always be a caster at heart, but I actually came up with a class/class line that would fit into an early Renaissance themed FE that I want. The class is Fencer and promotes to Duelist. These would replace the myrmidon/swordmaster class set in this new era FE game, I think. They would have essentially the same stat spread, but I want to give a swordlocked class some kind of reason for being deployed. I want to give them early survivability via dodgetanking, and set them up lategame as bosskillers -- as the level 15 promoted skill would show. 

Fencer skills:

Level 1:

Spoiler

Swift Footwork. I took some inspiration from the Flashing/Heavy Blade skills in FE Heroes, in the sense that having a stat advantage over an opponent could give a more noticeable advantage, and you could play around it. Therefore, this skill for the Fencer would give an avoid bonus = 5 x (User Skill -- Opponent's skill). Early on, this would grant an average of an extra 10-20 avoid over against most enemy units. Unlike Duelist's Blow, which is +40 avoid on offense, this would always be active. I feel like trading effectiveness for uptime is a worthy trade, especially considering the big problem with Swordmasters in Fates was a pretty nonexistent enemy phase, as dodgetanking was horridly unreliable with fates hybrid RN hit rate system. This is an early game skill, and I feel it is balanced well as such. 

Example Case: Early game fencer has (like most FE myrmidons) ~13 skill on joining. This, on normal, means that against other myrmidon or against early cavaliers, this skill will grant between 10-20 avoid. Against axe units, it would be MUCH more, but hey, they wouldn't hit you anyway. It's not a huge buff, but it does add a little spice. 

Level 10: 

Spoiler

Skillful Parry: The Fencer has a %Skill x 1.5 chance to reduce an incoming attack by 30%. This chance is doubled with WTA. This gives the Fencer some enemy phase survivability. As this class replaces the Myrmidon, and therefore deletes Vantage as a skill, there needed to be some other defensive option for them. Much like the Myrm/Swordmaster archetypes, the unpromoted skills are defensive, and the promoted skills are offensive (for the most part). 

Example Case: lvl 10 Fencer will have between 16 and 19 skill (depends on which FE game's myrm you use as a basis). This grants a 24-26% chance to reduce incoming damage by 30%, or if against an axe unit, ~50% chance. No skilled swordsman worth his salt should get hit by an axe at all, but if they do then they should be able to deflect the most raw damaging weapon type. 

Duelist:

The Duelist will get a 10% innate critical rate bonus upon promoting, as well as +2 strength, +4 skill, +3 speed, +1 move, + 2 def, +1 res, and -2 mag. They will probably remain swordlocked, because as much as I'd love to see flintlock's and early muskets in an FE game, I think giving a Duelist flintlock access would be unnecessary, even if it might be thematically fitting. 

Level 5: 

Spoiler

Feint: The Duelist has a %Skill x 2 chance to feint the target's guard, making that attack ignore 25% of the target's defensive stat. 

The reasoning for this was to replace Astra with something that was both more thematically appropriate and (I think) more consistently applicable. It's a weaker Luna, but procs twice as often. The problem with Astra was that it was, most of the time, complete overkill -- if it activated at all. Ryoma as a boss in Conquest on Lunatic has only a 14% chance to activate Astra, which is a 14% chance to become a ridiculous anime character. I feel like Astra as a skill does not make sense thematically for a Duelist, and I feel like it's ridiculous as an ability -- it's too all or nothing, and the biggest reason I consider Swordmaster archetypes sub-par in the newer games is their inconsistency. With this, the class still gets an offense skill that can activate for cool/clutch moments, but this skill is less all-or-nothing. I feel like this makes it less immediately impactful, but an overall better ability. 

I'm not going to talk about guard gauge or pair up reasons for Astra, because I'd love to see pair up go away and never come back. 

Level 15: 

Spoiler

One-thousand Cuts: After combat, the target takes -5 to Speed and Skill, and takes damage = 10% of their health after combat.

The phrase "death by a thousand cuts" is relatively well known, so I don't feel like I need to explain the thematics of this one much. My reasoning behind this is that a Duelist should be able to transition into a bosskilling role come the lategame, but in other fire emblem games the bosskilling role has fallen into "kill this fucker with one shot, please I'm begging you". I want a way to make a swordlocked unit a bosskiller in a game where bosses are actually scary. In my experience, outside of Conquest Lunatic, Fire Emblem bosses have been overall really, really unimpressive. The scary ones are the dodgetanks, but the generals / paladins / great knights / monster bosses are never all that scary. In my ideal FE game, chapter bosses would actually be intimidating, and I would like less of a one-shot meta. This is built around that idea.

All of that said, I had a bunch of varying ideas for this skill, and I'm not sure what to actually put here. I had an idea for a riposte, a skill% activated version of Counter that negates that attack's damage or something, but I felt like that would be either too good or useless depending. I'm most interested in feedback for this tier, as it's the least pinned down. 

• Replies 152
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I came up with an idea for a Jester Class for a FiM/FE mashup, intended to be Pinkie's main class. It uses Staves as its core weapon type, and can promote into either Juggler, adding Daggers, or Acrobat, adding Cannons (replacing Tomes as the red ranged weapon). Jester offers improved Speed, Luck, and Magic.

Depending on the game, Jester could also share Thief's Trickster promotion, likely taking Juggler's place.

As a shared promotion between Cleric and Apothecary, I'd come up with a new take on Druid, again for the FiM/FE mashup. See, Fluttershy wants to be a healer, but she's more of a druidic healer than a clerical healer. She demonstrated archery skill in Friendship Games, so I'd thought of Archer, but Fates gave us Apothecary which is a tankier Archer with a focus on healing items. That seemed like a promising starting point. And since Druids are basically Clerics for nature, I got the idea that Druid could be a Bow and Staff-wielding shared promotion for both Cleric and Apothecary.

Edited by Lord_Brand

To be honest, I thought about making a Martial Artist Class for Hoshido a while back. The difficulty was I wanted it to be weaponless, otherwise you just end up with the Great Master or Spear Fighter, so that killed it for a while until I was saved by the Faceless of all things, since they use Fist/Claw Weapons.

Two possible routes could be taken here: The first route would be having Martial Artist be a Songstress-style Class in that it would not promote but go to Level 40 and have better caps than your average beginner Class. The second route would of course be the traditional 20 Levels with Promotion option. I find myself inclined to take the former path, in part because I don't really have more than one solid idea for a Promotion that wouldn't just be Great Master or Spear Master over again, and the Naginata is the weapon that most fits into Martial Arts out of the options within Fates, which was of course the setting I was planning for.

The first Skill of the Martial Artist would be Nimble Feet, a Skill that increases Speed, Avoid, and Dodge(or just one or two if some of them function using the same stat, I don't remember exactly how Avoid and Dodge are calculated), with the possible restriction of only taking effect when battling a foe wielding a Physical Weapon(so anything not a Tome or specifically designated a Magic Weapon). The exact % I haven't decided on, but it would in theory be enough to make any Unit who obtained this Skill have more potential as a dodgetank in higher difficulty playthroughs. The usefulness of this Skill is of course dependent on whether you subscribe to the Fates-is-already-too-dodgetanky camp of thought or not.

The second Skill of the Martial Artist would be Unburdened, a Skill that increases Strength and Speed for each empty slot in the Unit's inventory. The purpose of this Skill is of course to allow the player to be able to make their Unit of choice have an easier time doubling at the cost of not being able to carry very much, a trait that shouldn't do too much to your playstyle concerning a Unit currently functioning as a Martial Artist due to there really only being like two Fist/Claw Weapons in the game, but which can drastically affect your Unit's effectiveness and force you to be more careful with Resource Management should they have this Skill equipped while in another Class, especially slower or weaker Classes such as Knight or Songstress.

The third Skill would be Focused Counterstrike, a Skill that increases Strength and Defense while the Unit is being attacked, but at a small cost in Speed. This Skill allows for a more Enemy-Phase-centric build to be used, especially when equipped to a Unit wielding the Sunrise Katana for its defensive buffs.

I've yet to decide on the final Skill's name or effect, but overall the Martial Artist would be designed as an Enemy-Phase Class with focus on dodgetanking and heavily counterattacking, with more effectiveness the lighter your Inventory. Whether it would be a good Class in Fates or whether it would need a different Fire Emblem setting to shine is something I'm not certain about.

|-------------- Arcane General

Spell Knight ----|

|----------------Great Mage (Great Knight variant)

A heavily armored infantry unit focused on magical defense rather then physical (Basically armor knights, but strong against mages)

Weapons: Lance, Sword (Tomes upon promotion)

Strong stats: Resistance, HP, Luck

Weak stats: Speed, Skill

Skills:

Spell Knight level 1: Spell Shield: -3 damage from all magic based attacks

Spell Knight level 10: Magic Bulwark: Physical hits against you target your resistance stat instead of defense

Arcane General level 5: Arcane Feedback: Always counter attack magical hits against you up to 2 range.

Arcane General level 15: Silencer: Chance when struck by magic to cast silence on the attacker for 1 turn.

Great Mage level 5: Nullification Blow: Enemies deal -10 magic damage when this unit initiates an attack

Great Mage level 15: Counter Spell: Taking magic damage from any source deals 10% of nearby enemies hp (1 range)

Edited by Faellin

Recently I got the idea of dividing classes into three major spheres: Martial, Civilian, and Criminal.

Martial would be the usual classes like Mercenary and Cavalier, the trained warriors who are good at combat and rallying each other.

Spoiler
  • Fighter
  • Mercenary
  • Soldier
  • Archer
  • Myrmidon
  • Mage
  • Knight
  • Cavalier
  • Troubador
  • Pegasus Knight
  • Wyvern Rider

Civilian would be unconventional but still highly useful support classes. They aren't built for fighting as well as the Martial or Criminal classes, but their support skills help in a myriad of ways.

Spoiler
  • Farmer - The classic Villager, now renamed since technically most of these classes are villagers
  • Lumberjack - Ignores forest drawbacks, also works for paired units
  • Miner - Similar to Lumberjack, but for mountains; promotes into Blacksmith
  • Spearfisher - A Lance-wielder skilled at traversing water
  • Steward - A servant who wields Daggers, and can promote into either Butler/Maid or Cook
  • Apothecary - The civilian counterpart to the Archer and Outlaw; they can promote into either Merchant or Alchemist
  • Librarian - A Tome user similar to a Mage, but more focused on learning and teaching, making them good for experience grinding; they can promote into Alchemist or Scribe
  • Cleric - A peaceful member of clergy that can promote into Scribe
  • Dancer - The physically-inclined performer
  • Bard/Songtress - The magically-inclined performer

Criminal would be Thieves, Barbarians, and other such crooks who excel at fighting dirty, stealing, and being sneaky. Where Martial skills help the user and their allies, Criminal skills hurt enemies.

Spoiler
  • Barbarian - Brutish axe fighter that promotes into Berserker or Warlord
  • Thief - The sneaky Dagger-wielding lockpicker
  • Outlaw - Bow-wielding robber
  • Dark Mage - The Mage's twisted counterpart

I'm debating as to whether Mercenary belongs in Martial or Criminal.

Edited by Lord_Brand

One idea I had was for a Royal Guard special class. They would each have a single weapon that they S rank, a sword, lance or axe. They would have stats and bases similar to the Hero class, but with higher defense. They would be rare/later game enemies that are difficult to defeat, but you might find a class change item as a gaiden reward or in a secret shop.

lv 1  Combat Medic: When this unit is the support unit in Guard Stance, the lead unit recovers 10 HP at the start of your turn.
lv 10  Dual Guardsman: When user is the support unit in Guard Stance, shield gauge gain +1
lv 25  Bold Stance: When user is in Attack Stance or Guard Stance, the support unit can trigger Dual Strikes, but enemy Dual Strikes are not passively negated.
lv 35  Twin Blades: When user is in Attack Stance or Guard Stance, the support unit's Dual Strikes do full damage.

Edited by NekoKnight

Chameleon

Level 1: Mimic: Take on the stats (except HP), skills, appearance and weapon ranks of one ally for five turns.

Level 10:HP Mimic: If this unit's HP < Target Unit's HP, mimic ally's HP too, when using the Mimic Command.

Level 25:Capricious Mimic: This unit may use the Mimic Command while mimicking other allies (five turn limit does not reset).

Level 35: Super Mimic: Remove the five turn limit from the Mimic skill.

Summoner

Level 1: Summon: Summon a Phantom with 1 HP. This unit can only summon one phantom at a time.

Level 10: Vantage Phantom: Phantoms summoned by this unit gain the Vantage+ skill.

Level 25: Armed Phantom: Phantom has a chance of being summoned with either a Killing Axe, or a Tomahawk.

Level 35: Dual Summon: Summon up to two phantoms at once.

Edited by Jotari

Screw it, ill give it a try. But i want to rework the ninja class instead of make a new one.

[Reworked] Ninja 

They can naturally use lockpicks, like in the GBA style. They wield shurikens but stat penalties aren't a thing on them. because that was CANCER. 

Level 1:Dash; Move 2 squares in any direction, blocked by walls,not enemies. ends turn.

Level 10: Seal avoid: Lowers enemy avoid upon finishing combat, by 30% for 3 turns, then the penalty vanishes.

Promoted to master ninja

Level (2)5:Dash canto: You can act out the remaining tiles after dashing and perform noncombat actions.

Level (3)5: Seal movement: Just as nuts as it sounds. Any enemy in combat with this unit would lose 3 points of move for 3 turns (Doesn't return gradually just reappears 3 turns later)

A standard ninja with this skill tree would be an insanely useful unit regarding noncombat measures as, they could dash past enemies that are to far away from other units to deal with and loot stuff away. (and eventually, they would be able to make units less mobile.)

HOWEVER, they would lack damage output. A lot. shurikens are not inherently that powerful, its just the fact that FOR SOME REASON """""""""intelligent"""""""" systems decided to give them  STAT DEBUFFS and POISON STRIKE in fates. plus if i was the game designer i would lower the might of all shurikens by like 1.

Any way this is my idea of what a ninja class should function as. Though of course, its still damn good.

Edited by bad touch
lol im fickle

5 minutes ago, bad touch said:

Screw it, ill give it a try. But i want to rework the ninja class instead of make a new one.

[Reworked] Ninja 

They can naturally use lockpicks, like in the GBA style. They wield shurikens but stat penalties aren't a thing on them. because that was CANCER. 

Level 1: Shade; Like the one from tellius.

Level 10: Dash; Move 2 squares in any direction, blocked by walls,not enemies. ends turn.

Promoted to master ninja

Level (2)5:Dash canto: You can act out the remaining tiles after dashing and perform noncombat actions.

Level (3)5: Seal movement: Just as nuts as it sounds. Any enemy in combat with this unit would lose 3 points of move for 3 turns (Doesn't return gradually just reappears 3 turns later)

A standard ninja with this skill tree would be an insanely useful unit regarding noncombat measures as, they could dash past enemies that are to far away from other units to deal with and loot stuff away. (and eventually, they would be able to make units less mobile.)

HOWEVER, they would lack damage output. A lot. shurikens are not inherently that powerful, its just the fact that FOR SOME REASON """""""""intelligent"""""""" systems decided to give them  STAT DEBUFFS and POISON STRIKE in fates. plus if i was the game designer i would lower the might of all shurikens by like 1.

Any way this is my idea of what a ninja class should function as.

Using the Fates and Awakening system, you could just take all those really useful skills and put them on a unit that can actually deal and take damage.

I do have one idea. I don't know what the class should be called, but I know it would promote to a class called either Vanguard or Champion:

Armoured front-line fighters. They are the first ones to be sent out, and they charge headlong into the heat of battle. They thrive on the battlefield, and live for audacity. 

They have fairly balanced stats similar to a paladin, but with a greater HP growth and smaller resistance growth. They fight on foot and wear a mix of plate and cloth armour as well as a cape. They can use swords and axes.

Skills:

Level 1:

Crowd Control: +10 hit/dodge for every enemy within 2 spaces.

Level 10:

Charge the Line: charge forward; weapon at the ready; dealing damage to every enemy you pass.

Level 5 Promoted:

Sweeping Cut: Deal damage to all adjacent opponents.

Level 15 Promoted:

Break the Line: Skill % chance to deal 2x damage to opponent and scatter all enemies within 2 spaces if ability activates during the player phase. Scattering means they are all shoved 1 space in a random direction away from the person who activated the skill.

1 hour ago, vanguard333 said:

I do have one idea. I don't know what the class should be called, but I know it would promote to a class called either Vanguard or Champion:

Armoured front-line fighters. They are the first ones to be sent out, and they charge headlong into the heat of battle. They thrive on the battlefield, and live for audacity. 

They have fairly balanced stats similar to a paladin, but with a greater HP growth and smaller resistance growth. They fight on foot and wear a mix of plate and cloth armour as well as a cape. They can use swords and axes.

Skills:

Level 1:

Crowd Control: +10 hit/dodge for every enemy within 2 spaces.

Level 10:

Charge the Line: charge forward; weapon at the ready; dealing damage to every enemy you pass.

Level 5 Promoted:

Sweeping Cut: Deal damage to all adjacent opponents.

Level 15 Promoted:

Break the Line: Skill % chance to deal 2x damage to opponent and scatter all enemies within 2 spaces if ability activates during the player phase. Scattering means they are all shoved 1 space in a random direction away from the person who activated the skill.

I think activate-able movement-manipulating skills are gamebreaking personally. 

12 hours ago, SoulWeaver said:

To be honest, I thought about making a Martial Artist Class for Hoshido a while back. The difficulty was I wanted it to be weaponless, otherwise you just end up with the Great Master or Spear Fighter, so that killed it for a while until I was saved by the Faceless of all things, since they use Fist/Claw Weapons.

Two possible routes could be taken here: The first route would be having Martial Artist be a Songstress-style Class in that it would not promote but go to Level 40 and have better caps than your average beginner Class. The second route would of course be the traditional 20 Levels with Promotion option. I find myself inclined to take the former path, in part because I don't really have more than one solid idea for a Promotion that wouldn't just be Great Master or Spear Master over again, and the Naginata is the weapon that most fits into Martial Arts out of the options within Fates, which was of course the setting I was planning for.

The first Skill of the Martial Artist would be Nimble Feet, a Skill that increases Speed, Avoid, and Dodge(or just one or two if some of them function using the same stat, I don't remember exactly how Avoid and Dodge are calculated), with the possible restriction of only taking effect when battling a foe wielding a Physical Weapon(so anything not a Tome or specifically designated a Magic Weapon). The exact % I haven't decided on, but it would in theory be enough to make any Unit who obtained this Skill have more potential as a dodgetank in higher difficulty playthroughs. The usefulness of this Skill is of course dependent on whether you subscribe to the Fates-is-already-too-dodgetanky camp of thought or not.

The second Skill of the Martial Artist would be Unburdened, a Skill that increases Strength and Speed for each empty slot in the Unit's inventory. The purpose of this Skill is of course to allow the player to be able to make their Unit of choice have an easier time doubling at the cost of not being able to carry very much, a trait that shouldn't do too much to your playstyle concerning a Unit currently functioning as a Martial Artist due to there really only being like two Fist/Claw Weapons in the game, but which can drastically affect your Unit's effectiveness and force you to be more careful with Resource Management should they have this Skill equipped while in another Class, especially slower or weaker Classes such as Knight or Songstress.

The third Skill would be Focused Counterstrike, a Skill that increases Strength and Defense while the Unit is being attacked, but at a small cost in Speed. This Skill allows for a more Enemy-Phase-centric build to be used, especially when equipped to a Unit wielding the Sunrise Katana for its defensive buffs.

I've yet to decide on the final Skill's name or effect, but overall the Martial Artist would be designed as an Enemy-Phase Class with focus on dodgetanking and heavily counterattacking, with more effectiveness the lighter your Inventory. Whether it would be a good Class in Fates or whether it would need a different Fire Emblem setting to shine is something I'm not certain about.

I think this is actually a pretty dope set of ideas. Unburdened is a good one too, but I don't know if Strength/Speed should be the penalty for that. Definitely not strength -- it doesn't make much sense to hit less hard if you're carrying a vulnerary. Maybe do a change where it's speed only. The Counterstrike sounds like it could actually be an activated skill that deals 1.5x damage if counterattacking, with like a skill% chance to trigger. 

2 hours ago, Mandokarla said:

I think this is actually a pretty dope set of ideas. Unburdened is a good one too, but I don't know if Strength/Speed should be the penalty for that. Definitely not strength -- it doesn't make much sense to hit less hard if you're carrying a vulnerary. Maybe do a change where it's speed only. The Counterstrike sounds like it could actually be an activated skill that deals 1.5x damage if counterattacking, with like a skill% chance to trigger. 

The concept behind Strength being involved is that you're having to carry all these items - if you look at any Unit's Inventory mid-map, chances are that if you clicked Optimize Inventory your Unit will be carrying a healing item and three or four weapons, so it's functioning more on the realism of that fact, since I can't hit you all that hard if I'm carrying four Swords and two Axes. It could technically be altered to decrease your stats for each occupied slot instead of increase for each empty one, but then it would be less usable on Units with naturally lower stats, and I wanted a Skill that would help with late-joiners and Ests getting the kills I always hear everyone except Armagon complaining they can't get using Sophia or Nino, and for those the two stats that matter most are Strength(or Magic for Casters) and Speed.
I'm glad to hear you like the concept, it was a fairly recent throw-together for me so I wasn't sure how it would sound in a public setting.

17 hours ago, vanguard333 said:

Yeah; I admit I didn't really think it through. Just to clarify: to which ability are you referring?

lvl10 and xl5 and 15 skills. Out of combat damage on a melee is strange, and potentially overpowered depending on how it's calculated. Being able to reposition large numbers of enemy units with a skill activation, especially in random directions, has equal potential to fuck you and the enemy over. There's a reason entrap staves have only 2 uses and are single target: moving the enemy is super strong. Same reason lunge is super strong, and limited to single target. 

9 hours ago, DisobeyedCargo said:

Take a knight, give them great resistance, not so great defense, and there you go.

as for name... uhhhh Mage knight? I dunno.

They were originally going to make a class line that in the third game and call it Guardian.

My brother has pondered the idea of a magical tome-using counterpart to Villager, which he likes to call Apprentice. I've got my own idea:

Student

• Wields Tomes
  • Lv1 Skill: Aptitude - +10% to user's growth rates.
  • Lv10 Skill: Study Magic - Whenever an ally unit within two spaces initiates an attack with a magical weapon, user gains a small amount of EXP.
  • Promotes into Teacher or Librarian

Teacher

• Wields Tomes and Staves
  • Lv5 Skill: Magic Mentor - When paired with an ally unit, the ally unit gets +10% to Magic, Skill, and Resistance growth rates.
  • Lv15 Skill: Magic Class - Whenever user initiates an attack, each Tome or Staff-using unit within two spaces gains a small amount of EXP.

Librarian

• Wields Tomes
  • Lv5 Skill: Archive - User gets +1 Magic, Skill, and Resistance for each Tome they're carrying.
  • Lv15 Skill: Quiet - Each enemy unit within two spaces gets -30 Crit.

2 hours ago, Lord_Brand said:

My brother has pondered the idea of a magical tome-using counterpart to Villager, which he likes to call Apprentice. I've got my own idea:

Student

• Wields Tomes
  • Lv10 Skill: Study Magic - Whenever an ally unit within two spaces initiates an attack with a magical weapon, user gains a small amount of EXP.

Teacher

• Lv5 Skill: Magic Mentor - When paired with an ally unit, the ally unit gets +10% to Magic, Skill, and Resistance growth rates.
  • Lv15 Skill: Magic Class - Whenever user initiates an attack, each Tome or Staff-using unit within two spaces gains a small amount of EXP.

Librarian

• Wields Tomes
  • Lv5 Skill: Archive - User gets +1 Magic, Skill, and Resistance for each Tome they're carrying.

Affecting local exp gain could be super busted or super worthless, but I love this idea. I think it would be really interesting to see how the tier-list focused people on this website would place such a character with that ability. I like Archive a lot, +5 to 3 stats if you have an inventory full of tomes. It's very strong, but it also means no vulneraries and such, which isn't a big deal. Magic Mentor would be interesting to see implemented, I'm not sure if I like the idea or not.

2 hours ago, Lord_Brand said:

Student

• Wields Tomes

Teacher

Librarian

• Wields Tomes

Magic Class would be near useless given how late it comes. By the time your characters are at level 35, exp is largely irrelevant. They're as strong as they're likely to get. If a unit is struggling to get those last five levels, then they're not worth bringing to end game to begin with.

23 hours ago, Midnight Torch said:

An axe user that can use magic. You could call it "Divine Berserker".

I would prefer "Magical Mauler" myself.

Off-Topic, what the heck is your current Avatar?

4 hours ago, Jotari said:

Magic Class would be near useless given how late it comes. By the time your characters are at level 35, exp is largely irrelevant. They're as strong as they're likely to get. If a unit is struggling to get those last five levels, then they're not worth bringing to end game to begin with.

Hmm, you've got a point. Any suggestions? I guess Teacher could be changed into a different class, one more easily contrasted with Librarian. Any other book-based occupations? Hmm...what about Alchemist? Could overlap with Apothecary, though I would probably want to change Student's Lv10 Class then. Maybe it gives the user EXP if the ally unit is using a type of weapon that the user has access to?

Another thought occurs: What if civilian classes like Villager and Student have lower level caps and learn skills faster? Say, a level cap of 10 with skills learned at levels 1 and 5. This way the player can quickly grind through a civilian class with lower base stats and growth rates in order to learn useful skills they can use in the statistically stronger martial or criminal classes.

2 hours ago, SoulWeaver said:

I would prefer "Magical Mauler" myself.

What about War Shaman? Though that sounds like an Axe/Staff user, basically a tribal counterpart to the War Cleric.

War Mage? That one sounds good, I think.

Edited by Lord_Brand