(FE 1-8) Casual mode project

tcaud

One day I had a revelation: I was spending too much time trying to complete Fire Emblem games and not enough having fun with them. The series is unforgiving and this grates on the game play to me. Fire Emblem 12 introduced Shining Force-style life-after-defeat gameplay. Would like to implement this in all the games...

My understanding is that these games operate on scripts? If so then the games may not know how to distinguish allied death from enemy death, making a simple "nop" of the roster kill routine unworkable. I see two possible means of eliminating defeat-as-death: 1) using RAM writes/cheats to continuously write the "live" bit to the status byte; 2) mod the game code to check allegiance on death.

Would first like to try this on FE1 and FE Gaiden. Is anyone familiar with which byte offset in RAM (in the character stack) is the status byte (I don't remember if those games even had status ailments)?

Not really sure about this one. Only messed with hex tables to mess with the translation in those games. But honestly you can just use save states in those games if you are going as far as to try to make a casual mode. I think someone succeeded in doing it in FE8 though. Good luck with SNES and NES games.