Can we all agree...

Cornguy

1 hour ago, Seafarer said:

Grustian names are Germanic (Wulfrik), Scandinavian (Ymir), or Slavic (Yuliya). There's no hint of French in there.

The fact that his name is canonically the French Camus (as corroborated by the Japanese and Feh's pronunciation) and not the Scandinavian Camus means that Grustian names are Germanic, Scandinavian, Slavic, or French.

For the same reason a person named Altenna, which is a portmanteau of Artemis and Athena from Greek mythology, was named by people with Irish names hailing from a nation whose major cities are named for Irish provinces and uses weapon named for a weapon from Irish mythology. As well as a certain Areone, whose name is a portmanteau of Ares and Orion from Greek mythology, who hails from Thracia (which is decidedly not part of ancient Greece, despite its proximity) and uses a weapon named for a weapon from Norse mythology.

Because someone said so.

All that said and done, technically speaking, Feh did pronounce Camus's name correctly in English. Albert Camus's surname is technically pronounced "kam-moo" in English.

I tend to use Spanish pronunciations so I call him "Ka-Moose". Although Camoo doesn't sound too bad. It's just a case of being used to something and suddenly having it changed.

On a similar scenario, should we expect Guy (FE7) to be pronounced "Gi" when he shows up?

6 minutes ago, Jave said:

On a similar scenario, should we expect Guy (FE7) to be pronounced "Gi" when he shows up?

If the localization team notices that the name is intended to be French, yes.

1 hour ago, Ice Dragon said:

The fact that his name is canonically the French Camus (as corroborated by the Japanese and Feh's pronunciation) and not the Scandinavian Camus means that Grustian names are Germanic, Scandinavian, Slavic, or French.

He's the only one.

Ordwin - English (and thus ultimately Germanic).

Ludwik - German.

Jubelo - Jewish.

Yuliya - Slavic.

Camus - Apparently French despite no other names in Akaneia being French.

Belf - No idea.

Leiden - German

Robert - German.

Sternlin - Not a real name, but sounds Germanic, and is likely derived from the German name "Sterling".

Lorenz - German.

Roger - German.

Jake - English, or, more likely, a shortening of the Jewish (Akaneian) name Jacob.

Grigas - Slavic.

Kannival - Who knows.

Hollstadt - German.

Dactyl - ...Greek?

Larissa - Slavic.

Harmein - German.

Zharov - Slavic.

Marisha - Slavic.

Ymir - Scandinavian.

Feh can keep her canon. It breaks my suspension of disbelief in half to have Camus be French among all that. Also, it makes him sound like a cow.

7 minutes ago, Seafarer said:

Jubelo - Jewish.

Belf - No idea.

Kannival - Who knows.

So these somehow don't matter... why?

29 minutes ago, Seafarer said:

Ludwik - German.

Was ルイ, "Louis" (pronounced "loo-ee" as in French), in Japanese.

11 minutes ago, Seafarer said:

Lorenz - German.

His name in Japanese is ロレンス, "Rolence", which is obviously derived from either "Lawrence" or "Laurence", both of which are English names derived from French "Laurence" and ultimately from Latin.

Unsurprisingly enough, "Lorenz" actually derives from the same Latin origin through a different path.

15 minutes ago, Seafarer said:

Roger - German.

Actually derives from French "Roger" and "Rogier", though the French name derives from Germanic roots.

18 minutes ago, Seafarer said:

Hollstadt - German.

Was made German by the localization team from likely gibberish "~Holsard", which only matches the first syllable of "Hollstadt". The s's aren't even pronounced the same.

So basically, the localization team took most of the Frenchies and made them German for whatever reason.

I had the same "what, no, that's wrong" reaction, but from the opposite perspective (native french speaker here so yeah, I said Kamü), and I have to say, it's interesting to see the different ways everyone pronounced it. Makes me feel better about all the english names I'm probably butchering. xD

Japanese Archanea also has Orleans (Aurelis), so French-inspired names are a thing outside of Grust too.

12 hours ago, Reiska said:

Clarisse?

The funny thing is that Clarisse's name in Japanese is Kleine, which is very decidedly German and intended to be pronounced as in German.

Maybe the localization team decided they made too many not-German names German and needed to make a German name not-German to balance it out.