New Event: Grand Conquests

Coolmanio

• Replies 488
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

9 minutes ago, Kuroi Tsubasa Tenshi said:

This round has been a pretty accurate representation of real war. While Sharena battered us on Team Alfonse and we were barely holding the line, Anna attacked us and only us from behind because we were easy targets. This has led to Anna getting a few more territories, but now Sharena controls basically the entire board. :P:

I was in the same position but Sharena is so dominating that she just took all of the sites Anna stole. Pretty convenient now that the weak teams have no choice but to target Sharena for the finale.

Heh, probably too little, too late, as far as my outrealm goes, unless Anna can somehow make use of her one node in the middle of Sharena's (though, given that Alfonse had one of those earlier and it didn't amount to nothing, I suspect they're gonna have a lot of trouble), Sharena's very likely to still walk away with at least 16. Worst (and more likely) case, Sharena gets closer to 20.

My feather total is 6700+4000+1600 =12300. Wow, guess we managed to hold one territory. That's more feathers than I would get in Voting Gauntlet or TT Mini so I won't complain. 

Team Sharena, Alfonse, and Alfonse again. Sharena was the winner of all three rounds. Cool mode. I wish there were some way to coordinate actions with your team. And a lot of the mode's systems need better explanations.

Well, the final results came in. 3-19-8 which means we managed to take a bit of land while Alfonse got destroyed but still it was awful, IS really needs to do a lot of improvements to make this mode work because right now it's just lopsided, the way stamina and territory control works makes playing before the last 4-6 hours a waste of time and the GC bonuses aren't well explained which results in a lot of people just attacking at the "Try this" nodes which more often than not are just useless spots that don't offer a lot of coverage nor bonuses for the team.

1 hour ago, Tenyo said:

Team Alfonse in outrealm 3377 - I thought for sure we were going to get completely wiped out because from the beginning we lost pretty every single one of our border areas to drop down to 4 territories by round 2, and we've been struggling to hold more than 4 at a time since. I've been really impressed by my teammates the last few rounds though, everyone's been really good at only focusing on holding or invading the territories that matter while completely ignoring the ones that don't, such that now in the final round we've managed to claw our way back to 10 territories and only need to defend  3 while having the option to attack 6. Worst case scenario we finish with 7, but I'll take it, considering I was expecting to finish with 2-3.

We managed to take all 6 neighbouring territories in the end for a final score of 16-8-6. Pretty good final result for Alfonse.

Went from 15:9:6 to 20:8:2. Yeah, that sucks, now I know how the people overrun by the Mongols felt. Over the three rounds I ended with 13, 11 and 2 tiles so it was a below-par performance overall, but at least I didn't have to play much, unlike VG.

Still, the only real redeeming feature of this mode was the 20 free orbs at the start, and that presumably won't happen again so this mode can be thrown in a dumpster and set aflame. Where are you when I need you, Surtr?

Sometimes I think the core gameplay of Fire Emblem was simply a fluke and IS doesn't actually know how to make videogames.

Well, that was unexpected. Sharena, despite dominating the entire round and having the map skewed in her favour, somehow managed to lose nearly everything in the last 2 hours, while my team (Alfonse) managed to grab every territory possible to win 12/7/11

Wow. Not sure what happened to Sharena here, since she was slated to run off with 2/3 of Anna's territory when there was 10 mins remaining, but the final tally was 9-12-9. Of note is that someone on 2738's Alfonse was really saving up for the big bang at the end. We got a knock-out that let us push forward to threaten an Anna territory. It could have been an easy node if it hadn't happened super late in the round and anyone actually had any stamina left. I had exactly one free lance left, which I threw at it, but that was about 9000 short of actually being meaningful.

@Falcom It's funny how you and @Kuroi Tsubasa Tenshi were talking about the last and second to last rounds of the battle and their levels of importance. My army blew everything they had in the 21st round and took 17 territories but had nothing left during the last round and we were reduced to 9 and Alfonse had 16. Pretty funny. 

So yeah, Sharena > Anna > Sharena. 7 > 18 >  9.

So 3,100 > 6,400 > 3,700 = 13,200. More than I've ever gotten from a VG and with potential for more if you're lucky with the armies. I'm good with this. Mode needs improvement but it's certainly funner than the saltfest that we usually have to endure for this kind of reward.

Alfonse always seems to do better when I’m not looking. He had nothing when I last checked. Had a small break before the end of the final round, and he had 16 territories. Ended up with 16/12/2. I felt so bad for Anna. She got totally stomped.

I got a very ho-hum final result: 16-8-6 with Anna being my team of course.

As for what I think of this mode: 

42 minutes ago, Humanoid said:

Still, the only real redeeming feature of this mode was the 20 free orbs at the start, and that presumably won't happen again so this mode can be thrown in a dumpster and set aflame. Where are you when I need you, Surtr?

Yeah, dumpster fire is a perfectly apt description for it. I can at least get enjoyment from VGs, as arbitrary as they are these days. This one? All I got out of it aside from the rewards was apathy, a whole lot of apathy. 

52 minutes ago, Humanoid said:

Sometimes I think the core gameplay of Fire Emblem was simply a fluke and IS doesn't actually know how to make videogames.

This mode has nothing to do with the core gameplay of Fire Emblem. It’s as close to the core gameplay of Fire emblem as the tap minigame is.

1 minute ago, Vaximillian said:

This mode has nothing to do with the core gameplay of Fire Emblem. It’s as close to the core gameplay of Fire emblem as the tap minigame is.

Precisely the point. Everything original they've tried to do since then - including every new mode introduced - seems to have fallen flat.

Tennis for the NES was alright I guess.

Finally over, being three times on the losing end is fun, that's for sure. I have no clue on how they will improve this mode, but I really don't want to experience such frustration again. I can't believe I am saying this, but I prefer VG over this. Who cares who wins the inconsequential voting? Just look at the predictions, read between the lines and maximize feather income on your own while ignoring everything besides bonus hours. It's boring, but I at least keep the feeling of determining my rewards.

With GC, you have the same boredom (except if you are into RD) with the added dependency on your team and a useful map position, which is entirely random, AND having to be ready to do stuff manually, tediously, and consistently (people say the early hours don't matter, but considering you need to not be reduced to 1-3 areas to properly conquer in the later hours, people do need to pay attention to not just give away free areas too much, which will happen if you only play at the end). I'll be keeping an eye on changes, but if they don't really matter, I will actually ignore this mode entirely past the orb rewards.

I'm so glad TT is next; boring grind for sure, but entirely dependent on my own contribution, which is apparently all I can ask for. Gratz to the lucky teams out there.

I got ~4000, ~6000 and finally ~5000 feathers out of this, so it was pretty great fo rme. Not that I did much to deserve it, but I certainly won't complain about feathers. I still dislike the RD mode and hope there is more you can do to determined your reward next time though.

Area distribution of 16:8:6! Sharena put up a really strong defense and it was not until the very end when Sharena finally went out of steam. Getting 16 Areas is not too bad, but I wish it could have been better. It felt pretty good knowing that Alfonse went from being pummeled earlier in the round to later dominating the round. It was a relief at the end knowing that my most of my team had the same idea as me and saved our Conquest Lances until the very end.

Spoiler

yuPD6go.png

Both of my accounts, Alfonse won...My main got an Anna team that finished dead last. What with all the losing teams it got, the rewards were peanuts. My alt, however, got an Alfonse team, and thanks to the feathers 5-starred Sharena. (Different outrealms, though.)

5 hours ago, Glennstavos said:

I was in the same position but Sharena is so dominating that she just took all of the sites Anna stole. Pretty convenient now that the weak teams have no choice but to target Sharena for the finale.

Spoiler

jIKjgVL.png

All I have is a island to escape Queen Sharena's draconic rule. This mode could use some tweaking. Those lost sacred seals.

After poor finishes in Rounds 1 & 2 (Outrealm 684/Team Anna, 4 territories and Outrealm 1555/Team Sharena, 5 territories), I got a welcome 17 territory finish for round 3 (Outrealm 2867/Team Sharena).

Ended up with 13 areas for the last round. So it was about 7, 11, and 13 final counts for each round. Each time it went from being in a strong lead to a big drop within the last few hours. I still really don't like that the rewards are mostly luck-based.

Overall, not really a fan of this mode. It seems like a neat idea but it doesn't play out very well and needs a lot of changes. I think I might like it better than VGs just because checking your phone every 30 minutes for a few days is just plain annoying. At least you can choose to drop all your stamina at once and not worry about things for a few hours here. Too bad that TT still remains the best event mode in my opinion. I was hoping something would finally give it some competition.

Wow, Team Sharena dominated in round 3 in my second account. Got 6000 feathers out of it so I'm at an all time high of 300,000 feathers right now

17 areas taken by Team Sharena. At one point in the middle of the round, Alfonse and Anna were down to their bases.

Oh and @Vaximillian I always used your lovely Sharena for these battles. It turned out for the best I guess :P