Fun Anime Recommendations?

Solvaij

I'm working on a cross-stitching project and I need something to watch while I do that. Here is what I'm looking for:

• fun
  • doesn't require much attention
  • decent dub
  • preferably short (10-20 episodes).

Any thoughts? If there's a regular TV show fitting the description, throw that in too.

Tonari no Seki-kun might be a good watch. Don't know about the dub since i mostly watch anime subbed but it fits the bill of what your looking for. 21 episodes but they're all 7 minutes long so it's not that long of a watch. It's pretty hilarious

https://myanimelist.net/anime/18139/Tonari_no_Seki-kun?q=Ton

24 minutes ago, Armagon said:

Tonari no Seki-kun might be a good watch. Don't know about the dub since i mostly watch anime subbed but it fits the bill of what your looking for. 21 episodes but they're all 7 minutes long so it's not that long of a watch. It's pretty hilarious

https://myanimelist.net/anime/18139/Tonari_no_Seki-kun?q=Ton

I'll take a look, thank you!

The problem is since you want something short and dubbed (all the short anime I have watched were subbed)I have a hard time making a list of anime that I would recommend.  Also like the above poster said you don't say what you define as "fun".  What type of anime do you like?  

The 2003 Kino's Journey. 13 episodes.

The 2010 Sound of The Sky. 12 episodes.

Live action - The 2000 Tenth Kingdom Miniseries - 7 hours.

Kino's Journey - I mean you could argue that their are underlying themes going on that require "paying attention" but honestly, since the episdoes are episodic, you can enjoy the series in a very light way if you want to. It also feels like a slower, more reflective show, even though it doesn't have many episdoes.

Sound of the Sky - you shouldn't have to pay much attention to things, the big stuff is basically highlighted for you. Has a more upbeat and comedic side than Kino's Journey. Does have some serious moments, but is kind of slice of life overall.

Tenth Kingdom - This would be like 14 - 30 minute episodes, although I think most people watch it as a movie in one go instead of the original format, which cut it into 5 episodes.  You can totally still enjoy it, since the divisions are pretty obvious (they travel in each location about  minutes) - It's the funniest of these by far, and the fairy tale aspect makes it easy to follow it's setting compared to Kino/Sound - Can feel goofy and teenager oriented at times, but in a good way.

Pantie & Stalking with Garterbelt is pretty funny

it looks like an Adult Swim show, and it really doesn't look like an anime but it meets the definition. A nice thing about is that the episodes are broken up into two separate episodes most of the time, so each episode is only about 12 minutes long.

Edited by Captain Karnage

2 hours ago, Florete said:

What's your definition of "fun"? What kind of shows do you tend to like?

I meant it broadly. Basically, I just don't want something heavy (i.e. Fullmetal Alchemist, Stein's Gate, ect). I probably should just merge "fun" with the bullet after it. Nothing that requires a ton of visual attention basically. As far as just what I like, I am pretty open-minded with anime. For this I was thinking fun along the lines of Tsuritama or The Devil is a Part-Timer. Not necessarily high quality, but a good ride. Something like One-Punch Man would also be great.

2 hours ago, EricaofRenais said:

The problem is since you want something short and dubbed (all the short anime I have watched were subbed)I have a hard time making a list of anime that I would recommend.  Also like the above poster said you don't say what you define as "fun".  What type of anime do you like?  

I get that, and I normally have no problem with subs. It's just since I'm cross-stitching at the same time, I have to mostly listen and I don't have enough time to catch all the subtitles.

1 hour ago, Reality said:

The 2003 Kino's Journey. 13 episodes.

Live action - The 2000 Tenth Kingdom Miniseries - 7 hours.

Kino's Journey - I mean you could argue that their are underlying themes going on that require "paying attention" but honestly, since the episdoes are episodic, you can enjoy the series in a very light way if you want to. It also feels like a slower, more reflective show, even though it doesn't have many episdoes.

Sound of the Sky - you shouldn't have to pay much attention to things, the big stuff is basically highlighted for you. Has a more upbeat and comedic side than Kino's Journey. Does have some serious moments, but is kind of slice of life overall.

Tenth Kingdom - This would be like 14 - 30 minute episodes, although I think most people watch it as a movie in one go instead of the original format, which cut it into 5 episodes.  You can totally still enjoy it, since the divisions are pretty obvious (they travel in each location about  minutes) - It's the funniest of these by far, and the fairy tale aspect makes it easy to follow it's setting compared to Kino/Sound - Can feel goofy and teenager oriented at times, but in a good way.

Thank you! These sound like what I am looking for. I'll check them out!

1 hour ago, Captain Karnage said:

Pantie & Stalking with Garterbelt is pretty funny

it looks like an Adult Swim show, and it really doesn't look like an anime but it meets the definition. A nice thing about is that the episodes are broken up into two separate episodes most of the time, so each episode is only about 12 minutes long.

I'll take a look, thank you!!

Well, here are a few from recent years that I've seen that should fit the criteria of being relatively light, short, and available in English dub:

Do note that I have pretty particular tastes, so your mileage may vary.

1 hour ago, Reality said:

For the record, this isn't available in English dub.

4 hours ago, Solvaij said:

decent dub

That's impossible by definition you know. I personally watch subs, so I can't say how dubs are, but for casual fun shows I'd recommend: 

Evangelion 

KonoSuba: A NEET dies and gets reincarnated in a fantasy world and has to party up with a useless goddess, a mage who only has one spell and can use it once per day, and a masochist knight. 

Himouto! Umaru-chan: The perfect grades and whatnot high school girl turns into a huge otaku when she gets home. 

Miss Kobayashi's Dragon Maid: A typical programmer woman ends up with a maid, who also happens to be a dragon. 

1 hour ago, alatartheblue42 said:

That's impossible by definition you know.

Oh boy, here we go... COWBOY BEBOP.

Isn't that supposed to banish your kind to the netherworld or something? :P:

Seriously though, I'll check those out. Thank you!!

1 hour ago, Florete said:

Well, here are a few from recent years that I've seen that should fit the criteria of being relatively light, short, and available in English dub:

Do note that I have pretty particular tastes, so your mileage may vary.

For the record, this isn't available in English dub.

I like what I've seen of Little Witch Acedemia, and I'll take a look at the others. Thanks for the info about Sound of the Sky!

Honestly, Hetalia.

6 seasons, each episode is 5 minutes long. The dub has the accents, and it can be mildly offensive at times, not too extreme, just stereotyping really. It's not for everyone, but maybe watch a couple of episodes and see how you feel?

I'm gonna cheat and recommend two movies(Assuming you haven't seen them), since I'm totally blanking on fun short season series. Gimme a break, I'm just now starting to watch new stuff after like 10 years of barely touching anime. I mean, there's always FLCL if you haven't seen it, and that's getting two new mini-seasons this year. 

Anyway, first would be Sword of the Stranger. It's not whacky or super light hearted, but it's a fun, straightforward samurai story with some good action. I feel like I've watched that final fight scene once a month for the last 4 years. I'm probably exaggerating, but it's good. There's some... Strange racial(Let's just say that it's a little too kind in its portrayal of white people in Asia) undertones in the movie if you notice it, but the dub is solid, and most sources I've heard from have said that the English voice actors do a waaaay better job voicing Chinese characters and speaking Chinese if you care about that kinda stuff. 

The second would be Redline. Absolutely bonkers movie about space racing. Tons of zany characters, bitchin' soundtrack, great, colorful, fluid artstyle and animation, and it's just tons of fun to watch and re-watch. Dub's solid, too. 

Edited by Slumber

4 hours ago, alatartheblue42 said:

KonoSuba: A NEET dies and gets reincarnated in a fantasy world and has to party up with a useless goddess, a mage who only has one spell and can use it once per day, and a masochist knight. 

As hilarious as Konosuba is, i wouldn't recommend in this case because while it fits the bill of everything he's looking for, it still somehow does not have a dub. Why it doesn't have a dub is beyond me. I don't even watch dubs unless it's specifically JoJo Parts 1 and 2 or the Xenosaga anime or the Kirby anime and it still upsets me that Konosuba doesn't have a dub yet.

I support your other two recommendations (even if as much as i love Himouto! Umaru-chan, the English dub is pretty bad).

_______________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________

WAIT, I KNOW THE PERFECT ANIME THAT FITS WHAT OP IS LOOKING FOR! GHOST STORIES! Only 18 episodes, the thing with Ghost Stories is that the original Japanese version is more serious but because it did so badly in Japan, the dubbers just fucked around and made it more hilrarious. I haven't seen it yet but i'm very much looking forward to when i do. In fact, here's a comparison between the sub and dub

8 hours ago, Armagon said:

As hilarious as Konosuba is, i wouldn't recommend in this case because while it fits the bill of everything he's looking for, it still somehow does not have a dub. Why it doesn't have a dub is beyond me. I don't even watch dubs unless it's specifically JoJo Parts 1 and 2 or the Xenosaga anime or the Kirby anime and it still upsets me that Konosuba doesn't have a dub yet.

I support your other two recommendations (even if as much as i love Himouto! Umaru-chan, the English dub is pretty bad).

Thanks for the heads up. I don't watch dubbed myself, so I don't always hear if/when shows get a dub. I just assumed that most reasonably popular shows already have dubs so something as popular as Konosuba would definitely have gotten one by now.

Anyway, here are two more shows. I checked to make sure they have dubs this time, no guarantees about quality.

Girls und PanzerHibike! Euphonium but with less music and more tanks. There's a popular sport where girls drive around in tanks and shoot at each other with dummy rounds and stuff. The main character used to do the sport, but bad stuff happened and she transferred schools, only to get roped into participating there. yada yada probably something about power of friendship and stuff. It's been a while since I watched it, sorry.

Kore wa Zombie Desu ka?: A high school kid gets brutally murdered by a serial killer one night. Luckily, he happened to meet a necromancer a couple hours earlier, so he gets brought back as a zombie. A while later, he meets a magical girl and accidentally steals her power, so the magical girl forces him to do her monster hunting. More, equally ridiculous stuff continues to happen. Its a fun show, but if you've got a thing against harem shows don't watch it.

On 4/13/2018 at 1:28 AM, Lau said:

Honestly, Hetalia.

6 seasons, each episode is 5 minutes long. The dub has the accents, and it can be mildly offensive at times, not too extreme, just stereotyping really. It's not for everyone, but maybe watch a couple of episodes and see how you feel?

I tried to watch Hetalia MANY years ago and didn't get into it, but I'd be willing to give it another shot since it's been so long!

On 4/13/2018 at 3:03 AM, Slumber said:

I'm gonna cheat and recommend two movies(Assuming you haven't seen them), since I'm totally blanking on fun short season series. Gimme a break, I'm just now starting to watch new stuff after like 10 years of barely touching anime. I mean, there's always FLCL if you haven't seen it, and that's getting two new mini-seasons this year. 

Anyway, first would be Sword of the Stranger. It's not whacky or super light hearted, but it's a fun, straightforward samurai story with some good action. I feel like I've watched that final fight scene once a month for the last 4 years. I'm probably exaggerating, but it's good. There's some... Strange racial(Let's just say that it's a little too kind in its portrayal of white people in Asia) undertones in the movie if you notice it, but the dub is solid, and most sources I've heard from have said that the English voice actors do a waaaay better job voicing Chinese characters and speaking Chinese if you care about that kinda stuff. 

The second would be Redline. Absolutely bonkers movie about space racing. Tons of zany characters, bitchin' soundtrack, great, colorful, fluid artstyle and animation, and it's just tons of fun to watch and re-watch. Dub's solid, too. 

Movies are certainly fine. I like Redline a lot, the animation is crazy actually maybe I'll just re-watch that. I'll check out Sword of the Stranger too. I like samurai movies from what I've seen, and it sounds like the fights are great.

On 4/13/2018 at 7:52 AM, Tuvy said:

Damn it. I was going to post Baccano! but it takes lots of attention.

BNHA is good, but I would also recommend Magi

I really love Baccano, but yeah, that requires a bit of focus. You kind of need to see the years...

Anyway thanks everyone for the suggestions. I probably have enough to finish my project now! I'll probably post it somewhere on SF when it's done, as it's Fire Emblem related.

Edited by Solvaij