Is Medeus really that bad a guy?

Jotari

40 minutes ago, Jotari said:

To fanfiction.net!

Wait, him getting killed in the Sataellaview episode which happens before anything else kind of puts a dampener in that. Unless Hardin didn't kill him and only landed a severe blow...He must have proced miracle, even though skills don't exist in Archanea.

Well it was in a text cutscene, perhaps he got knocked out and awoke with amnesia..

• 4 weeks later...

For me, Medeus has always been in principle a tragic character. The tragedy being felt, is Medeus's flaw, namely, it isn't felt at all. A problem akin to Nergal's and Gharnef's.

As for Medeus's vile acts, well he is off regaining power in FE3, and in FE1 he is too weak to leave Dolhr Keep shifted and we never see him issuing commands to his empire or allies. Later games love showing off what is happening in the enemies' main headquarters far far away, but FE1 didn't have the means to do this. 

On 4/13/2018 at 3:27 PM, omegaxis1 said:

I think the issue that you feel in a lack of evidence is the issue of the show vs tell. We're at best told that bad stuff happened, but just not see it.

This sums up the issue. General lawlessness, persecution, these thing exist we know, but the narrative style of FE1, restricted by NES shackles and ambitions, could never provide a lively, powerful, truly felt picture of things in Archanea.

On 4/14/2018 at 10:06 AM, Jotari said:

Even a woman would have been more interesting than the generic looking mug they gave us in what is now the definitive version of the game (at least in the west).

Wasn't one of the slavers in TRS a woman? The one I think I remember hearing who takes Plum away.

On 4/14/2018 at 8:09 AM, Etrurian emperor said:

The slaver is an old lady in the Manga as well who has her eyes set on Rickard and Merric for some reason. 

Rickard has a boyish look to him, cougar/pedophile? A boy prostitute might be able to substitute to an extent for a girl. Male slaves still have a use as free laborers even if they're not usable for sex. Merric perhaps for the same reason, or she sees something in his magical talents worth selling.

On 4/13/2018 at 5:35 PM, Etrurian emperor said:

Its been ages but doesn't Dolh's own forces usually guard the palaces? They certainly do so in Altea were the current steward gloats to Marth about how he killed his mom and I believe the enemy info in the Archenean palace lists the enemies as ''Dolhr'' rather than ''Grust''.

Correct. Dolhr is fought four times in FE1/SD. The two final chapters and inside Pales and Castle Altea, that is it. That is the same as Bandits + Pyrathi. Grust is fought 7-8 times (depends on C2 where they field just a handful), Macedon 6, Khadein (Gharnef) 3, and Gra 1. If it weren't for Manaketes being so strong, Gharnef being willing to obey long enough to manipulate Jiol and Michalis, or Camus so loyal to a weak Ludwik, Medeus wouldn't have his empire.

On 4/15/2018 at 12:27 AM, Emperor Hardin said:

Meanwhile Jake and Khozen, the actual important character of the map, don't get any representation. Odd, I think.

Part of the plot to forget Anna was ever faithful to anyone who isn't you the player. Sure Jake was nowhere near as present as Anna, but he still existed and was bound to her.

1 hour ago, Interdimensional Observer said:

For me, Medeus has always been in principle a tragic character. The tragedy being felt, is Medeus's flaw, namely, it isn't felt at all. A problem akin to Nergal's and Gharnef's.

As for Medeus's vile acts, well he is off regaining power in FE3, and in FE1 he is too weak to leave Dolhr Keep shifted and we never see him issuing commands to his empire or allies. Later games love showing off what is happening in the enemies' main headquarters far far away, but FE1 didn't have the means to do this. 

This sums up the issue. General lawlessness, persecution, these thing exist we know, but the narrative style of FE1, restricted by NES shackles and ambitions, could never provide a lively, powerful, truly felt picture of things in Archanea.

Wasn't one of the slavers in TRS a woman? The one I think I remember hearing who takes Plum away.

Rickard has a boyish look to him, cougar/pedophile? A boy prostitute might be able to substitute to an extent for a girl. Male slaves still have a use as free laborers even if they're not usable for sex. Merric perhaps for the same reason, or she sees something in his magical talents worth selling.

Correct. Dolhr is fought four times in FE1/SD. The two final chapters and inside Pales and Castle Altea, that is it. That is the same as Bandits + Pyrathi. Grust is fought 7-8 times (depends on C2 where they field just a handful), Macedon 6, Khadein (Gharnef) 3, and Gra 1. If it weren't for Manaketes being so strong, Gharnef being willing to obey long enough to manipulate Jiol and Michalis, or Camus so loyal to a weak Ludwik, Medeus wouldn't have his empire.

Part of the plot to forget Anna was ever faithful to anyone who isn't you the player. Sure Jake was nowhere near as present as Anna, but he still existed and was bound to her.

Now I miss Jake. Bring him back IS!

45 minutes ago, Jotari said:

Now I miss Jake. Bring him back IS!

2 hours ago, Interdimensional Observer said:

Poor Jake, they are ignoring him so much lately.

Yes, one of the slavers was an old woman who would capture people to sell to a shady trafficker.

The Gaiden chapters in Shadow Dragon adds more missions with Dolhr presence.

Edited by Emperor Hardin

On 12-5-2018 at 3:56 AM, Interdimensional Observer said:

Oh Meric and Rickard definitely make some sense but well,....why go after them when you can go sell Marth? :): He's been looking fabulous ever since Melee. 

On 5/12/2018 at 12:33 AM, Emperor Hardin said:

Poor Jake, they are ignoring him so much lately.

Ignoring, maybe, but they haven't truly forgotten him, since Jake is mentioned by Lyn in her support with Anna in Warriors.

On 5/12/2018 at 12:33 AM, Emperor Hardin said:

The Gaiden chapters in Shadow Dragon adds more missions with Dolhr presence.

I checked Youtube to see what affiliation the enemy is for those chapters, it's:

Chapter 6x: Bandits ("Ruffians" is the official name for them)

Chapter: 12x: Grust and Horace's Archaneans

Chapter 17x: Grust

Chapter 20x: Grust

Chapter 24x: Keepers

Gra is the one enemy in the Prologue chapters.

No Dolhr. Mostly more Grust, cementing its place as the strongest or at least most numerous military in Archanea.

Edited by Interdimensional Observer

19 minutes ago, Interdimensional Observer said:

I checked Youtube to see what affiliation the enemy is for those chapters, it's:

Chapter 6x: Bandits ("Ruffians" is the official name for them)

Chapter: 12x: Grust and Horace's Archaneans

Chapter 17x: Grust

Chapter 20x: Grust

Chapter 24x: Keepers

Gra is the one enemy in the Prologue chapters.

No Dolhr. Mostly more Grust, cementing its place as the strongest or at least most numerous military in Archanea.

Chapter 6X is just pirates.

Chapter 12X: Has a strong Manakete presence.

Chapter 17X: Small Manakete presence.

Chapter 20X: Large Manakete presence as the commander there is a Dolhrian loyalist from Grust.

Grust is the headliner in most of those missions, with most of the enemy commanders being Grustian(though the guy in 12X seems to be Dolhrian), but they have a large amount of generic Manakete units labeled "Dolhr" in their forces.

Edited by Emperor Hardin