Why Do You Europeans Do D/M/Y instead of M/D/Y

There is no real benefit either way. It's the difference between saying, "April 13th 2018", and "The 13th of April 2018". Though I do enjoy your fervor to figure out the season first and foremost, cause that's the thing I'm always missing and forgetting.

The place I live also uses D/M/Y, while my family's place uses Y/M/D.

I myself prefer to use a fuller form, say, 14(th) Apr 2018, Apr 14(th), or 2018年4月14日, instead of 14/04/18, 04/14/18, or '18/04/14 (in my family's parlance). The former is much less ambiguous when I see something that happens on 1st-12th day of a particular month. Also no nengos please.

Edited by henrymidfields

DMY makes more intuitive sense. MDY looks better going down a list, or something Integrity said once.

Either way this is an absolutely pointless topic that's going to do nothing but spur more 'lmao foreigners!! and your crazy foreign ways'

"April 14th" is one syllable fewer than "14th of April." Clearly that makes it superior.

But I will admit that the progression means 14/04/2018 makes more sense than 04/14/2018.

As for why anyone does what they do, well, us United Statesians are still using imperial measurements...so yeah.

The US does use d/m/y in the form of DDMMMYY in government, science, weather, transportation, military, and communications...and has been since the invention of the telegraph and radiogram.

The general public does something entirely different, however.

Edited by Bubba Jones

Nononono.  D/M/Y is where it's at, dude.  ;):

M/D/Y drives me crazy.  

1 hour ago, Res said:

Countries that use m/d/y = magenta

Countries that use d/m/y = cyan

1C6934D6-40EB-46EE-B21C-511B9E72C46E.thumb.png.fcb7d74c1ed103eb9eaf6f1a283dd414.png

I can confirm that Canada can't make up its mind on what format it wants to use. 

As a booking clerk at a hospital, it drives me crazy when I'm registering new referrals.

5 hours ago, Jave said:

Because Europe, like Latin America, does it the correct way.

Wait what? Latin America does D/M/Y? This is news to me. I've been to Venezuela several times (98% of my family lives there) and they all used M/D/Y.

Or maybe Venezuela is just different compared to other Latin American countries.

3 hours ago, Bubba Jones said:

The US does use d/m/y in the form of DDMMMYY in government, science, weather, transportation, military, and communications...and has been since the invention of the telegraph and radiogram.

The general public does something entirely different, however.

Why are there three digits for the month?  That seems silly.

9 minutes ago, Glaceon Mage said:

Why are there three digits for the month?  That seems silly.

I think that's actually letters. Such as 14APR18, or 14-APR-18.

Same reason we insert 'u' after 'o' in a lot of English words and use the metric system, it's superior ;).

It's probably because it works in size order. Smallest amount of time obviously being the day, fowllowed by month and then naturally the year. Smallest to biggest just looks better aesthetically than going medium - smallest - biggest; you can't argue that, that's just a certified fact™

I don't mind any of the formats

14/04/2018 is just order of smallest to largest measurement, idk if you have to or are expected to say it like "the 14th of April 2018" because I've always heard Integrity say it more like "14 April 2018" when he lists a date out loud to somebody (he's an american, but military-raised and that's the format the military always uses so it's just what he's used to using)

04/14/2018 is weirder for me to describe and is more just speculation because I haven't actually heard the logic behind it but.... I think it could be because there are less options of possible numbers in the month, then more possible options for the day, and then the largest amount of options for the year? In its own way, it's smallest to biggest number, just not in measurement. And I guess it flows easier to say, but I also think it probably just narrows things down quickest by starting with the least number of possible options, then the bigger grouping, then the largest. I think rather than strictly following the rules of numbers like the other formats, it's trying to follow the human brain process more smoothly (which I think is what Americans had been trying to do in general with their changes, another good example of that is Fahrenheit vs Celsius).

2018/14/04 is another numerically logical one, just biggest measurement to smallest

14 minutes ago, Freohr Datia said:

I think rather than strictly following the rules of numbers like the other formats, it's trying to follow the human brain process more smoothly (which I think is what Americans had been trying to do in general with their changes, another good example of that is Fahrenheit vs Celsius).

actually I feel like elaborating on that

when americans work with science or math and stuff like that, we still use the metric system. That's because we're working with number logic, not the human brain

but when it comes to just daily living, we use our revised methods, because now we're working with the human mind's logic.

so I guess it's basically just adaptation?

it's true that it can be confusing and complicated trying to learn both ways to measure as we're growing up, though. Generally we are raised to think in our revised methods so we don't immediately "get" metrics. But once we're getting into stuff like science, then it's something we just have to start getting used to.

fuck you DMY makes way more sense

whenever I'm working with Americans as part of my job it always is my biggest pet peeve

the other one is fahrenheit

Edited by Tryhard