Why is Gotoh the only character that actually has a resistance stat?

DisobeyedCargo

I get characters like Marth and Gordin and such not having resistance stats, but it makes no sense for a Mage character like Linde and Merric, shouldn't they be able to have some form of a resistance stat since they are studying magic?

With some thorough testing of FE1 a while back, I found out that if you give a character a positive integer for their Res stat, it reverts back to 0 in the next chapter. They managed to give a Res stat to Gotoh because he only appeared in the final chapter, and so that mantained the illusion that his Res stat was constant.

7 minutes ago, Purple Mage said:

With some thorough testing of FE1 a while back, I found out that if you give a character a positive integer for their Res stat, it reverts back to 0 in the next chapter. They managed to give a Res stat to Gotoh because he only appeared in the final chapter, and so that mantained the illusion that his Res stat was constant.

That's... even stranger 

why the hell didn't they just make Res a regular stat

24 minutes ago, DisobeyedCargo said:

That's... even stranger 

It's bizarre.

Like the way magic doesn't work off strength so you only have the tome's might for attack. I don't know the philosophy behind it, but it seems like that was the conclusion they came to.

26 minutes ago, DisobeyedCargo said:

That's... even stranger 

Because of how magic worked. Magic did damage based only on Mt in FE1. I don't know why, but yeah.

1 minute ago, Azz said:

Because of how magic worked. Magic did damage based only on Mt in FE1. I don't know why, but yeah.

Jesus this game sounds like an absolute mess 

and appranrly they though it was a great  idea to keep this same system in Gaiden (Barring dread fighters)

Yeah, the NES games certainly handled magic differently.  At least in Gaiden your healers could actually level without getting beaten senselessly.

Obviously I much prefer the ways future games made magic stand out.  Even as dull as I find magic to be in Fates on the Nohrian side, I prefer how it's done there to how it's done in OG Shadow Dragon.

He's not just the only playable character with Res - he's the only unit with Res, full stop. Every enemy in the game has 0 Res.

With how magic works, this ends up making mages pretty weak in the lategame, since enemy HP goes up, but magic Atk doesn't.

22 minutes ago, Seafarer said:

He's not just the only playable character with Res - he's the only unit with Res, full stop. Every enemy in the game has 0 Res.

With how magic works, this ends up making mages pretty weak in the lategame, since enemy HP goes up, but magic Atk doesn't.

Doubling and critting with Thoron says otherwise.

Anyway I recall seeing somewhere on FEUniverse that Resistance doesn't exist as a character stat and can only be tweaked in two ways:
1) Use a Pure Water or Barrier, which increases it to the "cap" of 7 the first turn and then subtracts 1 per turn.
2) Use a Talisman, which sets a flag that permanently treats that unit as having a full Pure Water/Barrier boost.

FE1 magic functioned like Earthbound's PSI, except it's more determinate: special attacks that do set damage (EB has damage variance and elemental vulnerabilities where FE1 does not). Power did not increase magic damage because with the HP scaling of Fire Emblem it would make magic overpowered (see: Gaiden/SoV and the DS games).

10 hours ago, DisobeyedCargo said:

I get characters like Marth and Gordin and such not having resistance stats, but it makes no sense for a Mage character like Linde and Merric, shouldn't they be able to have some form of a resistance stat since they are studying magic?

To be fair I went to school studying medicine for years, but I'm still just as susceptible to bacterial and viral infections.

4 hours ago, MCProductions said:

FE1 had very little space to work with, they literally did not have the rom space to give many characters , i.e. anyone of than Gotoh or you use the Res Boosting items on, a res stat

Okay that does make sense then

6 hours ago, Seafarer said:

Wow, so the only character in the game with a RES stat.

11 hours ago, Dayni said:

It's bizarre.

Like the way magic doesn't work off strength so you only have the tome's might for attack. I don't know the philosophy behind it, but it seems like that was the conclusion they came to.

This makes sense with the lore right? With the whole humans just figuring out magic and making tomes and stuff. Humans couldn't harness magical energy like the dragons could so they do it through tomes. From a lore perspective, if the tome doesn't give resistance then the human shouldn't either. A dragon like Gotoh on the other hand probably could. Now, that is no excuse for it being really dumb game design, but I think the lore checks out.

17 minutes ago, NPR said:

This makes sense with the lore right? With the whole humans just figuring out magic and making tomes and stuff. Humans couldn't harness magical energy like the dragons could so they do it through tomes. From a lore perspective, if the tome doesn't give resistance then the human shouldn't either. A dragon like Gotoh on the other hand probably could. Now, that is no excuse for it being really dumb game design, but I think the lore checks out.

Wait humans were just figuring out how to use magic then?

makes me wonder how they made the one talisman then 

12 hours ago, DisobeyedCargo said:

Jesus this game sounds like an absolute mess 

and appranrly they though it was a great  idea to keep this same system in Gaiden (Barring dread fighters)

Dread Fighters were actually much more balanced in the original, the remake made them ludicrously overpowered.

In the original Gaiden, every characters had 0 res growth, though a few like Mycen came with Res higher  then their class growth.

Bs_fe01_knight_lance_01.pngBs_fe01_general_sword.png

FE1 had several oddities, like Knight not promoting to General, even though it was clearly planned at one point. Knights also got two weapons, while Generals only got one.

Another oddity is Generals couldn't use the Levin Sword. Based on a Japanese blogpost I read, this seems to have been due to the lightning effect causing flickering with the General sprite.

37 minutes ago, DisobeyedCargo said:

Wait humans were just figuring out how to use magic then?

makes me wonder how they made the one talisman then 

Humans have had magic for a fair while in Archanea. Though most just know how to wield basic use tomes and staves.

Edited by Emperor Hardin

1 minute ago, CatManThree said:

Because why the fuck not?! Its FE1, don't question it.

But I already have...

On 4/15/2018 at 12:48 AM, Emperor Hardin said:

Dread Fighters were actually much more balanced in the original, the remake made them ludicrously overpowered.

What was different about them in the original?

1 hour ago, DisobeyedCargo said:

The addition of class based growth modifiers in SoV for one. Then there is the fact that all playable mercs got a serious buff in SoV. There is also the addition of the Ilwoon and Zweihänder as well as the variety of real good skills different swords have.

On 4/16/2018 at 1:48 PM, DisobeyedCargo said:

In Gaiden they got a straight +10 Res on the class and the Devil sword didn't hurt them.

In Echoes they got an ability reducing magic damage by half with +5 Res and a bunch of new neat swords and combat arts. They're legit better in the remake.

2 minutes ago, Dayni said:

In Gaiden they got a straight +10 Res on the class and the Devil sword didn't hurt them.

In Echoes they got an ability reducing magic damage by half with +5 Res and a bunch of new neat swords and combat arts. They're legit better in the remake.

Ahh okay 

On 4/15/2018 at 1:44 AM, Rezzy said:

To be fair I went to school studying medicine for years, but I'm still just as susceptible to bacterial and viral infections.

This is funny and deserves to be acknowledged.