Opinions on Camilla

indigoasis

• Replies 88
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I have only one thing to say about her...

BEGONE THOT!

In all honesty though, I really don’t like her at all. Same goes for any of the other characters who were just fan service. I think my problem with her is that she doesn’t have a personality, she’s just the sexy character who obsesses over the avatar. Same goes for Tharja.

Just a smidge more controversial than Finn.

She'd be a lot better a character if less emphasis was put on her fanservicey traits (the sexualization and her obsession with the avatar) and more was put on her backstory and how it made her the woman she is currently.

That being said, she was maybe a bit higher quality a character than I was expecting.  That doesn't say a whole lot though, because I was expecting no substance, all sex appeal.  And in every game outside of Fates, she is just that and so much worse.  The support between her and Sakura is straight up sexual harassment in the end, and it was treated as a gag.  Props to Sakura's actress though for sounding just as disturbed and flustered as a girl probably would be in that kind of situation.

Some fan-made content has made Camilla a better character while still remaining consistent with her portrayal in the original game.  Not that it has much of a bearing on what she actually is, but it stands as an example of what she could've been if the writers didn't have tits and battle panties on their minds the whole time they were making her.

I wish they focused a lot more on the whole CW part of her character because I'm far more interested in that stuff then her trying to dote on Corrin.

Edited by Hekselka

Turning her into fanservice severely undercuts whatever actual decent character traits and backstory she has.

The game presents her as this violent yandere who absolutely loves Corrin, and is willing to pretty much kill anyone else for no reason. It's only if you manage to care enough that you learn that there ARE(Albeit very poor) reasons for this, but Fates couldn't give two shits about showing you this if this gross fanservice character doesn't interest you.

I like Tharja, Olivia, Charlotte, and Kagero.

I don't like Camilla.

Some characters are intended to be visually appealing. That's absolutely fine. But characters like Camilla end up having that as their only point of appeal, and that's not fine. Everything about Camilla, from her appearance to her personality (arguably even her combat ability), was made for the express purpose of being sexually appealing to teenage boys. There are inklings of a real character sprinkled throughout Fates, but they are never explored enough to be worthwhile.

Everyone else pretty much said what I would have. Camilla did have potential given her supports from what I hear, but the devs focused way too much on making sure she had big boobs, revealing clothes, and panties showing and then shoving that all in our faces. I really despise her, and she's pretty much my least favorite character in the series besides Lucina.

Edited by Anacybele

Ditto to Ertrick's statement, ESPECIALLY Warriors Camilla, her Owain Support is like the only time she doesn't seem 100% creepy, and even then it's not much better(though Owain himself seems...fairly realistic for a young man of that age concerning the interaction involved). I'll also mention Ghaast's YouTube video about how she's been mentally damaged by her lack of meaningful backstory supposedly tragic past as her mother's tool that we'll never know more about than that one description I just wrote. It's a solid video that does a good job laying out foundation for the conclusion of her mental problems and helps show she had decent potential due in part to her mental and emotional issues but got screwed over by Fatesitis bad writing. To be honest, she desperately needs a proper rewrite of pretty much her entire character and interactions, but Fates is too new for her to be saved by a remake until it's more or less too late and the eventual remake Camilla will be if anything worse than original Fates Camilla.

I do still like her as a Unit, though, she's very useful in Conquest even if personal preference means I use Nichol at least as much as I do her. There are also worse people you could have as a sister(or girlfriend, to just say it) in real life.

Edited by SoulWeaver

She is a complete tool and the most blatant indicator that IS didn't give a shit about the story and it's supposed themes, given the obvious 4th wall breaking nature of every aspect of her presentation. Seriously, even the folks at IS compare her to a cow... and are comfortable enough to put those quotes into their artbooks or whatever.

And as a person, besides her obsession over Corrin there is nothing to her but being yet another bloodthirsty psychopath, which is treated by the game as if it was just a cute quirk.

Edited by BrightBow

I feel like she could have been a really good character, but like all of Fates characters suffers from the horrid writing.  I don't mind her since I am used to fan service characters and I try to look past that.  Honestly I like her best in Heroes since her castle quotes talk about things other then Corrin in some of them.  I love draco knights so of course I use her as a unit when I play Fates and I found her to be a great unit, I use her as a flying mage and she nukes everything for me.

Edited by EricaofRenais

The issue with Camilla is how IS keeps presenting her. In almost every cutscene that focuses on her, it seems to just wants everyone to focus on her ass or tits. Like her cutscene in Fates, where she's just walking towards you, but all we see are her ass, crotch, tits, and then some of her face. Then there's the Conquest ending scene where Corrin literally bumps into her breasts and falls down from it. And Warriors also focuses on it, though Team Ninja is said to prefer that way, but I believe its interesting to note that Warriors didn't shove those fanservice bits as much as Fates actually did, which is shocking. Hell, her maid outfit is actually COVERING her.

And her Warriors voice acting was done to make it seem like every time she opens her mouth, she's experiencing some kind of orgasm. 

When you look at Camilla's character, she actually is rather tragic and had a terrible childhood, that had we seen some kind of glimpse of, we'd be far more sympathetic towards her. She was merely a tool by her mother, spurned from any form of affection, and possibly been forced to assassinate at an early age, or had her life targeted as well. In these cases, it likely developed into mental disorder where she is extremely protective of her family. Honestly, had the game not focused so much on trying to make Corrin be the center of the universe so Camilla has to gawk about him every chance, she would be able to show this protective side much more towards her other siblings, even Xander.

Camilla is overall, wasted potential. 

11 minutes ago, omegaxis1 said:

The issue with Camilla is how IS keeps presenting her. In almost every cutscene that focuses on her, it seems to just wants everyone to focus on her ass or tits. Like her cutscene in Fates, where she's just walking towards you, but all we see are her ass, crotch, tits, and then some of her face. Then there's the Conquest ending scene where Corrin literally bumps into her breasts and falls down from it. And Warriors also focuses on it, though Team Ninja is said to prefer that way, but I believe its interesting to note that Warriors didn't shove those fanservice bits as much as Fates actually did, which is shocking. Hell, her maid outfit is actually COVERING her.

I've always said that the current state of IS is a big red flag when KOEI FUCKING TECMO AND TEAM NINJA are treating some of these characters with more care than IS does.

Camilla's a big one when it comes to that. Even though it's still there, KT doesn't focus on it constantly. Same with Tharja. Both of these characters still suck, but I don't feel gross for playing as them. Mostly.

Edited by Slumber

She's wasted potential/10 like every Fates character.

I think the localization has been consistenly playing up Camilla's sultriness, in a similar vein to Tharja. They tend to forgo Camilla's warmer side and Tharja's brooding side with the voice direction, instead making them talk with a slur that's supposed to be sexy but isn't.

Like in Warriors, when Camilla pulls the camera (your head) up in her victory animation, she asks if you're hurt in the JP version, but the localization just had to make her say "My eyes are up here". One wonders if Treehouse is fanning flames on purpose.

I much prefer the original voices, tone and speech of Camilla and Tharja.

1 minute ago, Slumber said:

I've always said that the current state of IS is a big red flag when TECMO FUCKING KOEI is treating some of these characters with more care than IS does.

Yeah, that is a major issue. But I would argue that while some of Camilla's supports are entertaining, they didn't have some of the depth that Camilla's supports in Fates did, so its sort of even?

2 minutes ago, SatsumaFSoysoy said:

I think the localization has been consistenly playing up Camilla's sultriness, in a similar vein to Tharja. They tend to forgo Camilla's warmer side and Tharja's brooding side with the voice direction, instead making them talk with a slur that's supposed to be sexy but isn't.

Well it isn't like Tharja is all fanservice and nothing else. Tharja at the very least is handled by better than Camilla is, because Tharja does show her more caring side and how she wants to protect others in her own way. 

3 minutes ago, SatsumaFSoysoy said:

Like in Warriors, when Camilla pulls the camera (your head) up in her victory animation, she asks if you're hurt in the JP version, but the localization just had to make her say "My eyes are up here". One wonders if Treehouse is fanning flames on purpose.

I feel that's a more 4th wall breaking moment that is more funny. So her victory animation isn't wrong per se.

I'm with Ertrick on this one. Camilla based on some of her supports, dialogue in BR, and azura DLC convos has soooo much potential as a character. I mean the concubine wars are a thing fire emblem hasn't really touched on before(don't quote me on this as I haven't played every game in the series) and it's a very interesting concept. If fleshed out some more, it could really make camilla and by extension leo, and even garon far better characters than they are but it isn't and that's annoying. I've stated before in other threads that I don't mind fanservice or fanservice characters so long as it makes sense in the context of the story or characters. Like charlotte is a good example of fanservice done right because there is a decent reason why she dresses like that. It makes sense given how her whole character is about wanting to attract men and get money and sex appeal is the easiest way to get a man's attention speaking as one myself. The problem with camilla is that she doesn't have that. why on earth does she dress like that? there's no reason given as to why camilla dresses the way she does other than to appeal to the lowest common denominator. Her obsession with corrin also makes very little sense. I mean I get shy she's overly doting and motherly given her backstory but why does she give corrin more attention than the other siblings? I mean there is a reason but it's a fairly poor one and only explains it to a small degree. It does not explain why she's so obsessed to the point of wanting to f*ck the boy/girl. I mean if you read their supports it's just pure fetish material and hardly develops either character in a strong way. I honestly don't mind her portrayal in birthright though. given her backstory it kind of makes sense why she wouldn't want to kill someone she considers family which causes a lot of her mental instability to come out and I like that. 

2 minutes ago, Otts486 said:

I mean there is a reason but it's a fairly poor one and only explains it to a small degree.

You mean her support with Silas where she says that because she didn't have cookies for Corrin and Corrin accused her of not loving him? 

Honestly, I think that could be Camilla taking this to be more seriously due to her mental state. If someone accused someone with a fragile mind about not being loving enough, she would take it to an extreme. 

She'd work if she wasn't so damn obsessed with Corrin.

Take that away--you've got a menacing seductress of a warrior princess who disarms you with you with her exposed curves and ample bust and a voice dripping with sex. Then brutally murders you with  axe and sorcery and dragon mastery. Thats actually kind of kickass.

But that whole Corrin dynamic just kills her as a character.   

Edited by Shoblongoo

1 minute ago, omegaxis1 said:

You mean her support with Silas where she says that because she didn't have cookies for Corrin and Corrin accused her of not loving him? 

Honestly, I think that could be Camilla taking this to be more seriously due to her mental state. If someone accused someone with a fragile mind about not being loving enough, she would take it to an extreme. 

that's the one and true but it still doesn't explain why she's so sexual around corrin like I said their support reads like pure fetish material. I mean I get she would take it overly seriously cause she's not right in the head but why does it seem like she wants to f*ck corrin. even if their not related by blood that's still weird.

2 minutes ago, Shoblongoo said:

She'd work if she wasn't so damn obsessed with Corrin.

Take that away--you've got a menacing seductress of a warrior princess who charms you with you with her exposed curves and ample bust and a voice dripping with sex. Then brutally murders you with  axe and sorcery and dragon mastery. Thats actually kind of kickass.

But that whole Corrin dynamic just kills her as a character.   

my thoughts exactly

Well it isn't like Tharja is all fanservice and nothing else. Tharja at the very least is handled by better than Camilla is, because Tharja does show her more caring side and how she wants to protect others in her own way. 

Except like what people are saying about Camilla, Tharja's obessession with Robin is always the main focus. Camilla just has way more screen time than Tharja in Fates and Warriors, so people have more of a stigma on her, when they'd do the same with Tharja if she was a core character in Awakening. I disagree that Tharja has been handled any better by IS, or any worse than Camilla.

I feel that's a more 4th wall breaking moment that is more funny. So her victory animation isn't wrong per se.

You're free to like it, but I'm not sure why you're defending it as "not wrong per se". They changed her line, that was supposed to be of concern, into a joke, like the localization tends to do with many things (JP Gray/Clair A support deserves its own topic), but they don't always pick the best moments. This one in particular is just calling more attention to her sex appeal, feeding the Western hate train on Camilla further, and it feels so unnecessary.

Edited by SatsumaFSoysoy

1 minute ago, Otts486 said:

that's the one and true but it still doesn't explain why she's so sexual around corrin like I said their support reads like pure fetish material. I mean I get she would take it overly seriously cause she's not right in the head but why does it seem like she wants to f*ck corrin. even if their not related by blood that's still weird.

my thoughts exactly

Yeah, and it really does no justice by how the Warriors voice acting had it so Camilla is just talking like she's trying to seduce someone. Was the entire more seductive thing and such come from her mother? Camilla might have despised the woman, but that doesn't mean she wouldn't subconsciously dress in some way like her or speak in a manner similar to her.

3 minutes ago, SatsumaFSoysoy said:

Except like what people are saying about Camilla, Tharja's obessession with Robin is always the main focus. Camilla just has way more screen time than Tharja in Fates and Warriors, so people have more of a stigma on her, when they'd do the same with Tharja if she was a core character. I disagree that Tharja has been handled any better by IS, or any worse than Camilla.

I admit that Tharja's obsession with Robin is very questionable as there's never any depth towards it. But at the very least, Tharja doesn't mention Robin in every support of every support conversation is about Robin. He does come up, but more often than not, its much fewer than Camilla's obsession with Corrin, where some supports are entirely about him. So overall I would still argue that Tharja is still better than Camilla. Even in Warriors, I feel that Tharja has much stronger support conversations than Camilla, like how she talks to Azura and tries to actually help have some hexes to counteract the dangers behind her pendent, the first character to actually try so.

5 minutes ago, SatsumaFSoysoy said:

I don't quite get what you mean.

I could make a topic (or someone else can, I have no preference), about the JP Gray/Clair A support. I haven't read it, so I don't know if it's the same as the English support or not.

Guest Dreamyboi

Like all "Quirk first, Character second" characters in Awakening and Fates I don't care about her in the slightest because of how she's presented. She very purposefully leaves an impression of "Boy I sure would love to get into the player's pants" and that kind of pandering is fine in a game made for fanservice but in Fire Emblem it's out of place and distasteful. Even if I were the target demographic (A straight guy) I wouldn't be into the idea.

Edited by Dreamyboi