Opinions on Camilla

indigoasis

Guest Dreamyboi
1 hour ago, Dark Holy Elf said:

Design-wise, she's a physically imposing, strong woman who looks like she could carve you in half with that axe of hers. In a series which has far too many of the female warriors be dainty-looking waifs this is a welcome change. She is, of course, also pretty; I love the hair in particular. Her armour's dumb, especially the lower half, but you don't actually see that very often.

I have to agree, if it weren't for the dumb armor she'd have one of my favorite designs in the game. 

• Replies 88
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Camilla is wasted potential. She shows TONS of potential of being one of the series' most well-written and developed characters, but they instead seldom use any of it and focus on her sex appeal. It's a really big letdown. I'd like her a whole lot more if she was less "oh look at her boobs and her outfit and how sexy she is" and more "look at her background and her well-developed personality and all she has going for her as a character." As it stands, I don't like her much.

One of the best units, even if not the best unit in Conquest combined with my least favorite personality.

It's not even her creepy personalty which disgusts me, but rather how she tries to attract people with her appearance.

She has an interesting backstory, but unfortunately IS makes her looking like a whore.

I think Camilla as a character had a lot of potential, but like a lot of Fates they kinda wasted all that potential and just made things stupid.

The idea behind her character is something I found very interesting. An emotionally damaged woman who showers people she likes with love and affection because she wants to be loved. Her special fixation with Corrrin is even partly explainable by him/her being so far removed from the whole Garon's wife conflicts. Sadly they greatly undermined her entire character by making her so obviously want to sleep with Corrin.

Her design is also kind of a shame. The purple hair and the black armour is a good combo and I think some fanservice on Camilla might even work since she looks like the type for it. But her lack of pants kinda went too far and just made her look silly.

I think the Warriors battle quotes gave her more personality than Fates did.

She had one cool moment in Conquest, some neat description in Birthright, and that's about it.  A shame, because she had a lot of potential.

To actually address the topic, I think she's wasted potential. Unfortunately just fanservice for the sake of fanservice, with it really just being most of her character.

Gets a lot of undue hate because of Fire Emblem Youtube Let's Players™ and their influence on community opinion. They aren't any more qualified than you or I in terms of character analysis/insight but people go along with what they say because they're a "figure" in the community.

Not a great character, but not as horrible as people say. I think her design is good but her outfit is very Fates (the game is full of battle undies) which can be good or bad depending on who you ask. I think people should stop beating around the bush with stuff like "certain audiences" or "a certain demographic" when talking about her design; you're just talking about "dudes that like tits."

The thing that's most fanservice about her for me is those base stats, oh mama. Best unit in the game.

Edited by YouSquiddinMe

If she wasn't obsessed with Corrin (heck, if Fates didn't have an Avatar character (or at least zero Avatar worship ohmygosh) but that's another topic entirely) she'd immediately be a more interesting character. I love when we get to see her caring side towards her other siblings and even some of her friends, and the fact that she has serious fears of abandonment is something that could have been explored more, instead of just being used for jokes ("If you try to leave me, I'll track you down and kill you"). I don't mind the sex appeal, except for how the camera focuses on it in cutscenes, I think it honestly works for Camilla (and her character could have maybe drawn more attention to it in conversations and interactions with characters... I feel like that's how she would dress based on her characterization). 

Fates just had really crappy writing. There are some interesting characters buried in there with a lot of potential, and I earnestly think Camilla is one of them. She was very far from my least favorite character in the game, and I actually found her endearing in quite a few scenes. She just suffers from what all of the main characters do, which is severe mood swings, possible schizophrenia and multiple personalities... Fates is a mess. But I still like most of the characters, more because of the potential that's there rather than the totality of their characterizations.

I think part of why I'm not as critical is maybe because I just don't follow FETubers or other "figures" in the FE community (what is this obsession with internet "celebrity" and stuff - again that's another topic entirely), and even when I hear what they say, I'm not just going to parrot it everywhere I go. There's a lot of Camilla hate by the vocal minority, but I think there's a lot to like beyond what the most popular individuals say and focus on. #ThinkForYourself

Edited by TadpoleSuperHero

There are things I like about Camilla. The relation between her and her siblings that aren't Corrin is pretty good, she and her retainers are a close knit group, her open ruthlessness and interesting backstory with the accompanying mental issues.

But unfortunately the writers weren't nearly so interested in all that and instead just wanted to focus on Camilla wanting into the players pants. 

35 minutes ago, Etrurian emperor said:

There are things I like about Camilla. The relation between her and her siblings that aren't Corrin is pretty good, she and her retainers are a close knit group, her open ruthlessness and interesting backstory with the accompanying mental issues.

Save for the part where Camilla clearly will not allow Selena to leave her.

Just now, Etrurian emperor said:

But leave she did and Camilla's ending is still a happily ever after for her regardless. 

Yeah, but if you look at their supports, it clearly shows it was not really a happy one. When we compare how Leo and Xander are given the hypothetical question of Odin and Laslow leaving, Leo and Xander admit it would be hard, but they would support the decision and just want what's best. Camilla throws in the idea that she would cut off Selena's legs to prevent her from leaving, and their A support has Camilla saying that Selena's only home is with her. Neither are actually better for it.

15 minutes ago, omegaxis1 said:

Yeah, but if you look at their supports, it clearly shows it was not really a happy one. When we compare how Leo and Xander are given the hypothetical question of Odin and Laslow leaving, Leo and Xander admit it would be hard, but they would support the decision and just want what's best. Camilla throws in the idea that she would cut off Selena's legs to prevent her from leaving, and their A support has Camilla saying that Selena's only home is with her. Neither are actually better for it.

Yet compared to Beruka when married.

Beruka was torn about leaving Camilla but enjoyed having enough emotions for them to conflict.

I guess that Camilla have a slight preference to Selena than to Camiila.

3 hours ago, YouSquiddinMe said:

Gets a lot of undue hate because of Fire Emblem Youtube Let's Players™ and their influence on community opinion. They aren't any more qualified than you or I in terms of character analysis/insight but people go along with what they say because they're a "figure" in the community.

Or maybe they're actually right.

Though I wouldn't know because I don't follow any and don't know any of their opinions on Camilla.

Stop scapegoating.

4 hours ago, YouSquiddinMe said:

Not a great character, but not as horrible as people say. I think her design is good but her outfit is very Fates (the game is full of battle undies) which can be good or bad depending on who you ask. I think people should stop beating around the bush with stuff like "certain audiences" or "a certain demographic" when talking about her design; you're just talking about "dudes that like tits."

The thing that's most fanservice about her for me is those base stats, oh mama. Best unit in the game.

1 hour ago, Florete said:

Or maybe they're actually right.

Though I wouldn't know because I don't follow any and don't know any of their opinions on Camilla.

Stop scapegoating.

Or maybe they're wrong and right.  Or, y'know, it's an opinion on a video game character.

Regardless, I don't think blaming people on YouTube is very conducive.

21 hours ago, Jingle Jangle said:

I actually like Camilla, being the sexy powerhouse that she is.

I feel like I'm the only one that actually likes Camilla.  I played Conquest without being immersed in all of this online opinion crap, so I went in with an open mind.  I enjoyed her character, because she has a fun personality, and is a somewhat unique character in a series that famously clings to its archetypes.  She's also S tier in the game, which helps a lot.  Honestly, I had no idea there was so much vitriol about one character.

I played Birthright way after, and her cutscenes were kind of embarrassing.  But lol at anyone who thinks that this series has ever had "great" dialogue/depth.

Overall, she's one of my favorite Fire Emblem characters. 

18 hours ago, Rezzy said:

I like her just fine.  I think she's a bit over-hated.

It's funny that she's simultaneously one of the most hated/disliked characters and one of the most liked units.  She really is a love/hate character.  More or less every Fire Emblem video has her as thumbnail clickbait, and all videos with her as a topic have the most views by far (for example, supports and My Room).  She also has the most fanart of any FE character by a wide margin.

Edited by Charmeleonbrah

36 minutes ago, eclipse said:

Or maybe they're wrong and right.  Or, y'know, it's an opinion on a video game character.

I'm not blaming them, but a lot of the hate does come from people believing what people they like believe. It isn't to say that those same people would like her if the people on Youtube didn't say anything, but there would be a much less vocal group of people about it. Hence, undue hate.

2 hours ago, Florete said:

Stop scapegoating.

No. :)

Edited by YouSquiddinMe

2 minutes ago, YouSquiddinMe said:

I'm not blaming them, but a lot of the hate does come from people believing what people they like believe. It isn't to say that those same people would like her if the people on Youtube didn't say anything, but there would be a much less vocal group of people about it. Hence, undue hate.

I think there would be a backlash even if every last YouTuber kept silent about her.  She's very in-your-face regarding her outfit, and such things historically bring out the loud opinions.

39 minutes ago, eclipse said:

That's the point. As I said, I don't even know myself what these people think. But treating everyone as a hive-mind and scapegoating "those awful YouTubers" is terrible logic.

6 minutes ago, eclipse said:

I think there would be a backlash even if every last YouTuber kept silent about her.  She's very in-your-face regarding her outfit, and such things historically bring out the loud opinions.

Sure, it's probably true that some people would be vocal regardless of whether the Youtube folks shit all over her all the time or not. But it wouldn't be as common, I am certain of that.

4 minutes ago, Florete said:

That's the point. As I said, I don't even know myself what these people think. But treating everyone as a hive-mind and scapegoating "those awful YouTubers" is terrible logic.

"Treating everyone as a hivemind" isn't what I'm doing, don't conflate "influential people have steered the conversation about this character in a certain direction" with "no one can think for themselves."

Edited by YouSquiddinMe

2 minutes ago, Florete said:

And neither is declaring that they're right.

They're people who make YouTube videos, full stop.  It's an opinion on a video game character, which has few objectively correct answers and a boatload of subjective ones.

1 minute ago, YouSquiddinMe said:

Sure, it's probably true that some people would be vocal regardless of whether the Youtube folks shit all over her all the time or not. But it wouldn't be as common, I am certain of that.

If the reactions to questionably-clad female characters in other series is any indication, then the response regarding Camilla is not surprising.

3 minutes ago, YouSquiddinMe said:

"Treating everyone as a hivemind" isn't what I'm doing, don't conflate "influential people have steered the conversation about this character" with "no one can think for themselves."

Call it whatever makes you feel better about yourself; that's all this whole thing is about. The problem lies with you. Just accept that a lot of people don't like her. Or don't, because polls show that people clearly do like her. All you're doing with this nonsense is projecting your anger and being childish.

3 minutes ago, Florete said:

Call it whatever makes you feel better about yourself; that's all this whole thing is about. The problem lies with you. Just accept that a lot of people don't like her. Or don't, because polls show that people clearly do like her. All you're doing with this nonsense is projecting your anger and being childish.

Woah, there. Not sure where all that is coming from. No one here is angry, or at least I'm not.

If you can't argue with what someone is saying, don't bother responding to their post.

Edited by YouSquiddinMe

3 minutes ago, YouSquiddinMe said:

Woah, there. Not sure where all that is coming from. No one here is angry, or at least I'm not.

If you can't argue with what someone is saying, don't bother responding to their post.

I am very much responding directly to what you're saying.