Opinions on Camilla

indigoasis

5 hours ago, YouSquiddinMe said:

Gets a lot of undue hate because of Fire Emblem Youtube Let's Players™ and their influence on community opinion. They aren't any more qualified than you or I in terms of character analysis/insight but people go along with what they say because they're a "figure" in the community.

Not a great character, but not as horrible as people say. I think her design is good but her outfit is very Fates (the game is full of battle undies) which can be good or bad depending on who you ask. I think people should stop beating around the bush with stuff like "certain audiences" or "a certain demographic" when talking about her design; you're just talking about "dudes that like tits."

The thing that's most fanservice about her for me is those base stats, oh mama. Best unit in the game.

*High five* Damn right.

And hey, nothing wrong with liking tits. I'm partial to them myself. Just support them with better writing next time. 

• Replies 88
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

2 minutes ago, Florete said:

I am very much responding directly to what you're saying.

Not anymore, you're bizarrely accusing me of taking out this made-up anger on a scapegoat. Have you actually read all my posts in the thread? Did you even finish reading my first post, wherein I said she isn't that great? Pay attention. Or don't. Whatever makes you feel better about yourself, since that's all this senseless arguing online is about.

Stopping here because I don't want to shit up the thread going back-and-forth with you if you can't stay on topic.

To simply put, I liked how IS tried to explain the reason behind why Camilla is who she is and all, but they executed that poorly.

Design: 6/10
Development: 4/10
Overall: 5/10

I never expected this topic to get so popular (I lowkey did expect it, with it being Camilla and all). So, uh, thanks guys. If I ever make another "Opinions on (insert character here)", I'll probably do Eliwood or something next time. Leave suggestions if you want.

Wasted potential. With so much screentime, she could've developed as a character. They could've made much more interesting interactions between her and her siblings in the story. Also, in Birthright/Revelations, I would've expected more resistance from her regarding trying to kill Corrin, like going ape on Nohrians or something. A self-sacrifice in Birthright to save Corrin without him knowing like stalling reinforcements from the enemy or something would've been an interesting experience.
I really dislike how she's presented as body first, personality second in Fates. It's okay to be beautiful, but if that's all that's being emphasized... I must hate the real world then
I'm okay with her design, but I never did find a reasoning for it. Quote me if my missed a support detailing this.

Edited by silveraura25

26 minutes ago, AlmondJuice said:

I never expected this topic to get so popular (I lowkey did expect it, with it being Camilla and all). So, uh, thanks guys. If I ever make another "Opinions on (insert character here)", I'll probably do Eliwood or something next time. Leave suggestions if you want.

Please don't.  For the sake of my sanity.

17 hours ago, omegaxis1 said:

Save for the part where Camilla clearly will not allow Selena to leave her.

That's part of the issue. Camilla has really severe separation issues, which is one of the reasons I like the potential she had. I don't hate her, though. In fact, she's one of my favorite characters. Hinoka, Rhajat, Camilla, Nyx, and Selena being my top 5 among the ladies in that order. This is an interchangeable list, as both Peri and Rinkah have been on it.

I just wish that, instead of the supports they gave Camilla with Corrin, they could've focused on her backstory, which would have given Corrin a legit reason to hook up with her. Corrin's a bit like Robin before him in that he has a lot of empathy, and there are ways to play that up. 

She's a fantastic unit, but her overall character is rather flawed. Some of her flaws I think make her character very interesting, like how she can't deal with changes if it causes her suffering. That being said, I'm not fond her overly seductive nature. It would be fine if it was done in moderation, but unfortunately nearly every piece of external media post Fates' release make her ONLY seductive, which I honestly don't like. Her particular fondness to Corrin is something I don't understand as well, but I haven't read extensively into her supports to know whether that can actually be explained or not. Even if it explainable, I  still wouldn't like it since its overplayed and gets tiring fast.

I'm not a fan of Camilla's design, mainly due to her armor sacrificing practicality for fanservice. The design of her hair is really good though and I like how it blocks one of her eyes, giving her a more menacing appearance (though this is hardly unique to her since both Kagero and Peri also have this trait). Still, her overall design is just bad and is the sole reason why people associate Fates with having demeaning character designs.

Overall, she's an average character with a bad but appealing design.

Edited by FoxyGrandpa

I might have liked her more if they didn't go overboard on the fanservice with her, well you know... Everything. I don't necessarily hate her. But I don't really "Like" her either.

As a unit. Easily one of the best in the game. No arguments there.

They could of given Camilla more detailed supports that show her character and personality when she was not obsessing over Corrin. The times where she did open up a bit were very enjoyable to me. Also her fanservice is a bit over the top. Tharja's fanservice was fine because you knew it was there and it wasn't constantly being brought to your attention. Like wtf was that one cutscene in Conquest lol. I didn't know you could run into someone's chest and bounce so hard that you get knocked off your feet... I feel like Camilla would of been fine design wise if it wasn't for this. She had very high potential to be one of the most interesting characters in all the FE games I've played but the execution was simply done wrong. All that being said she's still one of my favorite characters, despite some of her glaring flaws.

Edited by Black Zero