What Makes You Go On With Life?

Dismissed

What thoughts do you use to prevent yourself from committing suicide? I've been entertaining the thought on and off for a while, and every time I think of doing it, I tell myself: "Hey, you still haven't finished writing that crossover fanfic of yours!" And then I go back to writing it, pouring out my sorrow, depression, and insanity into a manuscript of eccentricity. Sometimes, I converse with my fellow fanfic authors, who are generally good people and make me feel better.

So what do you guys tell yourself to counteract suicidal thoughts?

I don't have suicidal thoughts, and it makes me very uncomfortable that you do.

I also have a crossover fanfiction, by the way.

Well I usually think of all the people in my life and how my death would affect them. I mean I know with those kinds of thoughts its easy to think no one really cares if you were to do it but they really do and if those thoughts don’t get me out of it I usually just talk it out with a friend or something. 

I hope this kind of helps and I hope you sort out the life problems you’ve got going on causing those thoughts.

11 minutes ago, KnightOfNohr said:

I also have a crossover fanfiction, by the way.

Really? What's it about?

7 minutes ago, Otts486 said:

I hope this kind of helps and I hope you sort out the life problems you’ve got going on causing those thoughts.

Let me list down my current problems: algebra, school, lack of time, lack of love, algebra, oppresive family, condescending classmates, jerkass friends, algebra, grumpy teachers, grade problems, other stuff, algebra, algebra.

I have an inferiority complex. Other gamers have more skill than me. My classmates are more intelligent than me. Other fanfic writers are better at writing. If there is always someone better, doesn't that make me obsolete?

1 minute ago, Purple Mage said:

Really? What's it about?

Let me list down my current problems: algebra, school, lack of time, lack of love, algebra, oppresive family, condescending classmates, jerkass friends, algebra, grumpy teachers, grade problems, other stuff, algebra, algebra.

I have an inferiority complex. Other gamers have more skill than me. My classmates are more intelligent than me. Other fanfic writers are better at writing. If there is always someone better, doesn't that make me obsolete?

That’s quite the list and it’s one I can relate to at least to an extent. Honestly though as cheesy as it sounds you just gotta remember things always get better at least to a degree. I mean I can’t speak for your life because well I’m not you but that’s just how I’ve been able to power through. On the inferiority complex thing just remember there’s always gonna be someone out there who’s better than you and there’s always someone out there who’s worse than you in whatever aspect. I’m probably not getting out all the thoughts I wanna get out but that’s just how it is.

1 minute ago, Otts486 said:

That’s quite the list and it’s one I can relate to at least to an extent. Honestly though as cheesy as it sounds you just gotta remember things always get better at least to a degree. I mean I can’t speak for your life because well I’m not you but that’s just how I’ve been able to power through. On the inferiority complex thing just remember there’s always gonna be someone out there who’s better than you and there’s always someone out there who’s worse than you in whatever aspect. I’m probably not getting out all the thoughts I wanna get out but that’s just how it is.

I agree. I've seen plenty of crap as a veteran on fanfiction.net, and I'm glad that although I might not be satisfied with my own chapters, at least it's coherent enough for people to be interested in. Thanks for the help.

10 minutes ago, Purple Mage said:

I agree. I've seen plenty of crap as a veteran on fanfiction.net, and I'm glad that although I might not be satisfied with my own chapters, at least it's coherent enough for people to be interested in. Thanks for the help.

No problem I’m always willing to lend a shoulder when I can. Yeah as a fellow fanfic writer I totally get that feeling. I mean I’ll post a chapter and five minutes later I’ll just want to tear it down and rewrite it. Ugh When I look at my older work I just cringe so hard but then I remember all the other garbage I’ve read on the cite and I feel slightly better.

Edited by Otts486

I personally am scared at the concept of hurting myself during suicide, with no quick clean and painless death, It's not worth the risk of making life worse by been crippled or giving myself some other medical problem. You might entertain the thoughts now, but actually think about the side affects any of your options have if they fail. What states you could be left in? I've scared myself more that way.

Other than that all's I can say is based of your problems

1 hour ago, Purple Mage said:

algebra, school, lack of time, lack of love, algebra, oppresive family, condescending classmates, jerkass friends, algebra, grumpy teachers, grade problems, other stuff, algebra, algebra.

Algebra sucks, there's no avoiding it, I don't know what level your doing so I can't say how bad it sucks but it just sucks. Teachers have lives, they get grumpy due there work, just try to not think about their mood, I got on with my teachers by sympathising with them, and having a mutual liking for D&D with one. My best friend is a jerk, If they actually are awful, maybe consider dropping them as friends. Grades I never passed English until my College finally put me down to Functional Skills level 2 English rather than the GCSE foundation English I was always failing by 2 marks, If your having grade problems your best bet is to ask teachers and or others for help, there's no shame in it.

(Edit to actually fit as I caught Ctrl Enter as Im a genius.)

Edited by DemolisherBPB

4 minutes ago, DemolisherBPB said:

Algebra sucks, there's no avoiding it, I don't know what level your doing so I can't say how bad it sucks but it just sucks.

you know I've personally never had a problem with algebra. Now calculus on the other hand is just a whole new level of mental abuse and complexity especially with a crap professor.

as Morgan herself puts it:

image.thumb.png.a5eb24c33ea38cf5d42db92e6f5d1be8.png

MATH: Mental Abuse To Humans

I tell you, can a middle-class citizen of any country apply algebra and calculus in his/her everyday life? I don't think so.

I've made some friends and enemies on different websites. Do you guys have any friends on other websites?

1 minute ago, Otts486 said:

you know I've personally never had a problem with algebra. Now calculus on the other hand is just a whole new level of mental abuse and complexity especially with a crap professor.

I took one look at Calculus and said "Nope!", I'm just bad at maths that's just diluted, I could do it but I was slow as hell working things out and would muddle myself up somewhere more often then not. Hell I've completely forgot everything I was taught. It's why I did bad at maths tests, They always got too wordy and then asked "Show your working out" and I just knew if I put my actual working out I'd not be full marks so had to get more in depth that I actually did...Or that's how it felt. 

I'm scared I picked the wrong religion and I know I'll cause more harm from taking my own life to the people who care about me.

Don't do it, you matter more than you think you do. That isn't a thought from myself that's for the OP, you matter more than you think.

9 minutes ago, Silver-Haired Maiden said:

My brother actually did when I was little. I watched the effect it had on everyone first hand. Even now my mom isn't the same.

I promised myself I would never put my loved ones through that. Ever.

pretty much how I prevent myself from doing it. I mean I've never had anyone in my family actually do it but when I think about the grief my death would cause them I just can't. I mean my life is connected to a good number of people who care about my existence. Leaving them behind just because of my own personal hang ups just feels wrong and selfish of me. I don't know the feelings I have about this are complicated and I can't fully articulate my thoughts. My condolences by the way I'm sorry you had to go through that.

Edited by Otts486

eclipse is definitely going to be locking this topic soon (as well she should), but anyway:

2 hours ago, Purple Mage said:

What thoughts do you use to prevent yourself from committing suicide? I've been entertaining the thought on and off for a while, and every time I think of doing it, I tell myself: "Hey, you still haven't finished writing that crossover fanfic of yours!" And then I go back to writing it, pouring out my sorrow, depression, and insanity into a manuscript of eccentricity. Sometimes, I converse with my fellow fanfic authors, who are generally good people and make me feel better.

So what do you guys tell yourself to counteract suicidal thoughts?

assuming you live in the united states, please call 1-800-273-8255. no one here is equipped to help you. please speak to a therapist--if you need help getting in touch with one, the hotline can help. i can help. https://suicidepreventionlifeline.org/

46 minutes ago, Purple Mage said:

MATH: Mental Abuse To Humans

I tell you, can a middle-class citizen of any country apply algebra and calculus in his/her everyday life? I don't think so.

I've made some friends and enemies on different websites. Do you guys have any friends on other websites?

you're obviously very young, so there's a lot you don't know or understand, and that's just fine. but, you should know the entire world functions on mathematics; it is actually integral to modern civilization.

a citizen of any income level constantly utilizes the methods of algebra to solve daily problems. (this ranges from: how much of a certain ingredient you need for a recipe to how much money you need to pay off a long-term debt. this is not actually simple arithmetic. a more obvious example is investing--you couldn't figure out compounding interest, among other things, without it.)

Edited by Phoenix Wright

9 minutes ago, Phoenix Wright said:

eclipse is definitely going to be locking this topic soon (as well she should), but anyway:

assuming you live in the united states, please call 1-800-273-8255. no one here is equipped to help you. please speak to a therapist--if you need help getting in touch with one, the hotline can help. i can help. https://suicidepreventionlifeline.org/

Who sicced the mods on me?

Also, I obviously do not live in the United States of America. And I do have a therapist.

It's a crossover of Fire Emblem and Phineas and Ferb. I had the idea stewing in my head for months until I thought, "Hey, why not make it a Fanfiction?" It basically has the plot of PnF, with the characters of Fire Emblem, most of them as children. As is the cast of PnF. You can read it here.

The first couple chapters are...not great. Lots of exposition, and a writing style that feels a bit...strained. It gets better later on, however.

11 minutes ago, Purple Mage said:

Who sicced the mods on me?

Also, I obviously do not live in the United States of America. And I do have a therapist.

she usually closes these topics when she sees them.

forgot about the location tag lmao.

Strange though it may sound, something that helps me is that, quite frankly, I refuse to die a virgin if I can help it. Just go get laid? Afraid not, as a less-than-perfect member of the LDS Church I'm trying to follow the path laid out for me as best as I can, which means no sex until I've got a wife to do it with. At that point, however, I will be the main provider for my wife and(hopefully soon after) children, meaning that I can't just give up then either because they depend on me.

My family honestly.

My sister passed away 9 years ago from Cystic Fibrosis and my other other sister, who is thankfully alive, has the same thing. After my sister died, I suffered from depression and anxiety a lot and I wont lie, I have contemplated killing myself once. However, I saw the damage that my sister's death did to my parents and sister, and I can't imagine putting them through that again. It would be selfish.

Thankfully, I have gotten a lot better since then, and I have a lot less anxiety attacks and episodes of depression.

Edited by Azz

Just now, SoulWeaver said:

Strange though it may sound, something that helps me is that, quite frankly, I refuse to die a virgin if I can help it. Just go get laid? Afraid not, as a less-than-perfect member of the LDS Church I'm trying to follow the path laid out for me as best as I can, which means no sex until I've got a wife to do it with. At that point, however, I will be the main provider for my wife and(hopefully soon after) children, meaning that I can't just give up then either because they depend on me.

What I like about these forums is that there is some semblance of religious tolerance. Nobody calls anyone out for being this or that, we're just one unified community.

Just now, Azz said:

My family honestly.

My sister passed away 9 years ago from Cystic Fibrosis and my other other sister, who is thankfully alive, has the same thing. After my sister died, I suffered from a depression and anxiety a lot and I wont lie, I have contemplated killing myself once. However, I saw the damage that my sister's death did to my parents and sister, and I can't imagine putting them through that again. It would be selfish.

Thankfully, I have gotten a lot better since then, and I have a lot less anxiety attacks and episodes of depression.

My condolences.