Animated characters you guessed their gender wrong

MisterIceTeaPeach

2 minutes ago, Flee Fleet! said:

Ana, if you're thinking of what Soledai said, then yeah its comic relief.

Yeah, maybe that. But I still think it's rather overdone.

23 minutes ago, Anacybele said:

Yeah, maybe that. But I still think it's rather overdone.

From my experience, I don't really see it as too extensive? I think it's just that you prefer more masculine-looking guys and you let that reputation thing you were told get to your head and focus so much on the amount of crossdressing jokes. Just a guess on my part, since I dunno what you've seen beyond FE.

2 minutes ago, NoirCore said:

From my experience, I don't really see it as too extensive? I think it's just that you prefer more masculine-looking guys and you let that reputation thing you were told get to your head and focus so much on the amount of crossdressing jokes. Just a guess on my part, since I dunno what you've seen beyond FE.

Well, beyond FE, I've seen a bunch of images of anime/manga characters that I either can't tell the gender of at all or are stated to be guys even though they look really really girly.

But yeah, I admit I prefer more masculine looking guys. I mean, that is a reason I'm such a big RD Ike and Frederick fangirl.

Edited by Anacybele

Floren from Xenoblade 2 and Libra from Awakening were the two I had trouble with.  With Libra it was more his name then anything and once I unlocked a couple of his c supports I figured out I was wrong.  Floren I only figured out after wondering why I could not use him on a girls only mission.

One of mine, believe it or not, was Tracer from Overwatch. I only saw pictures of her shoulders up and never saw the trailers, and I thought she was a he. It wasn’t until I caught wind of the victory pose controversy that I not only realized I got her gender wrong but learned of the characters name in the first place.

Some others were Samus (didn’t know until Super Smash Bros. Brawl because I never played Metroid) and Bugsy from Pokémon.

Libra is sort of an odd case because for some reason he was given a female voice. I figured he was just an androgynous male but the voice really threw me. Kinda odd considering other feminine males like Forrest and Lucius have discernible masculine voices, though apparently they had female voices in Japan. 

39 minutes ago, Anacybele said:

Well, beyond FE, I've seen a bunch of images of anime/manga characters that I either can't tell the gender of at all or are stated to be guys even though they look really really girly.

But yeah, I admit I prefer more masculine looking guys. I mean, that is a reason I'm such a big RD Ike and Frederick fangirl.

...Then how do you know those characters are implemented for a gender-mistaking joke when you've merely seen images of them and not bothered to look into them?

33 minutes ago, NoirCore said:

...Then how do you know those characters are implemented for a gender-mistaking joke when you've merely seen images of them and not bothered to look into them?

Because I see them a lot. So I can only assume it's for comedy.

3 hours ago, Anacybele said:

Because I see them a lot. So I can only assume it's for comedy.

...that's not good logic if you're not even bothering to go look into the characters. Ana, you're making yourself think that it's mostly for comedy. That's not even what you can only assume. Heck, it's much more logical to assume "oh, Japanese character designers tend to prefer making guys that have some femininity to them" over "oh, look at all these guys I keep mistaking for girls, they're clearly part of a gender-confusion joke".

Rally and Lazar from Yu-Gi-Oh 5D's. I mistook both of them for females. I was freaking shocked when they were referred to with masculine pronouns. Rally looks and sounds like a girl (in fact, according to the Yu-Gi-Oh Wikia I used to refresh my memory, the American Spanish dub did refer to Rally as a female), Lazar looks effeminate and sounds like a silly woman (looking back, he kind of gives me Excellus vibes).

I mistook Midir from FE4 for a girl. I showed him to a few friends and asked them -based off his in-game portrait- whether he was a girl or guy, they all responded with guy, and I felt like an absolute idiot.  The hair is what got me. 

Also thought that Brigid was a guy. Eyvel as an alias gave me zero indication towards her gender. 

Edited by Pandoria

• 3 weeks later...

Hmm, let's see, if I had, I don't remember most of them.

One I do remember was with Akito Tenkawa from Martian Succesor Nadesico. From what I know, in his home series, he might not actually be mistaken for a girl; but the thing is, the first time I saw him was in Super Robot Wars A. In there, his character portrait can pass for either gender, but I could read his name was Akito (game's in Japanese, but I know my hiragana and katakana), which isn't a feminine name, but I wasn't really privy to that back then. The thing is, though, that during battle, his attack portrait cut-in is this. Yes, it's from SRW R, but the portraits are the same as in SRW A. Anyway, as you can see, the battle portrait to me did looked like it could be that of a girl's. It didn't help that the are red pixels in the mouth's edges, making it look like he had lipstick.

So, fooled by the battle portrait, the dalogue portrait being ambigious enough, not knowing well Japanese grammar gender rules, not knowing enough Japanese to understand the game's dialogue, and that Martian Succesor Nadesico has plenty of plot-significant females on the titular ship to begin with, it ended up with the result of me thinking Akito was a girl at first. I don't remember when I was corrected on that, though.

On a similar note, I ended up making the same mistake with Nadesico crewman Jun Aoi, again in SRW A, and for the same reasons as Akito. Except without a battle portrait since Jun, not piloting anything, is usually just an NPC or sub-pilot.

• 2 weeks later...

Well, mine's kinda a spoiler for danganronpa 1 so don't look if you wanna play the game/watch the anime.

Spoiler

Chihiro. Really did think he was a girl at first, but then it aaaaaaall made sense later.