Do You Think FE Switch Is Just Going To Get Delayed Into Early 2019?

Just a thought, as we've reached Echoes first anaversy and we've literally heard nothing from IS. Seeing as how the new Smash (port) is coming out this holiday I doubt Nintendo wants to compete with themselves and possibly harm the sales of another one of their games. (and there's still that Pokemon game that might come out this year as well)

Edited by Captain Karnage

• Replies 94
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Honestly, I do.

It's extremely suspicious to me that we haven't heard a word for over a year while at the same time they've had multiple chances to remind us that it's on track. It's also not a good idea to release it near Smash or Pokemon, both strongly rumoured to release in the second half of this year.

Prove me wrong, IS.

That's probably going to be what happens, I think.

Much as I hate to admit it, that might be the best course of action if it has to compete with Pokémon or Super Smash Bros.

Still, I hope we hear about it soon, even if we don't get it this year.

I'll be frank - I think it's extremely likely, if not a guarantee. The fact that they're still tight-lipped about it makes me suspicious...

I think its a bit early to be jumping to these conclusions tbh. Its not at all strange that they havent said anything yet, plenty of games wait until later in the year for an announcement. And as far as releases that could compete with it in the 2nd half of the year, one doesnt have a concrete date yet, one isnt confirmed for 2018, and there are several months in the 2nd half of the year that FE could safely slide into and be just fine.

So just hold on for a bit longer. I swear, if a year of no info is driving the FE fans crazy this much, I dont want to know what would happen if they had to sit through the wait time of a typical CDPR game.

Maybe. Xenoblade 2 may have surprised me by actually sticking to the 2017 release, but that game was first announced with a trailer. We're getting to the point where a 2018 release for Fire Emblem is not likely unless the reveal is massive. Wouldn't make a huge difference if it was pushed back to 2019, since late 2018 is the most likely release window if they still want to stick to the original year.

If they're delaying it it could be that they want to make this the best Fire Emblem game as possible like they did with Breath of the Wild, but that's just me.

1 minute ago, Tolvir said:

So just hold on for a bit longer. I swear, if a year of no info is driving the FE fans crazy this much, I dont want to know what would happen if they had to sit through the wait time of a typical CDPR game.

As someone who had to wait two years to hear about Shin Megami Tensei x Fire Emblem and see what they had done with the idea, one year is not much for me.

That said, I'm still tired of waiting.  Why did they have to announce the stupid thing so early?

1 minute ago, Von Ithipathachai said:

As someone who had to wait two years to hear about Shin Megami Tensei x Fire Emblem and see what they had done with the idea, one year is not much for me.

That said, I'm still tired of waiting.  Why did they have to announce the stupid thing so early?

That was the worst part, announcing it so early. I honestly found it odd myself that they would announce it as early as they did, but whatever. Either way.

Im hoping we get something soon myself, just to shut all the overreactions down. I understand it to an extent, it sucks we have no info yet. And the leaks early in the year definitely did nothing to help the situation, but its getting a little much. Im seeing people saying we are going to have a repeat of Radiant Dawn because its releasing sometime in the second half of the year with Smash, which doesnt have a concrete release date or release window other than 2018, and Pokemon, which isnt at all confirmed for 2018.

People need to just calm down and wait.

6 minutes ago, Von Ithipathachai said:

Why did they have to announce the stupid thing so early?

They probably just wanted to let people know that "hey, FE Switch is on the way" but then they got themselves into a Final Fantasy 7 remake situation where we know the game is coming, but we've heard jack shit since (yes FF7 R has a trailer but that's beside the point, also the wait for FE16 is rather tame compared to that). I'm an optimist by nature but i honestly do want FE16 to be delayed because i don't want a repeat of last year where FE Warriors was somehow the only 1st Party Switch game to not get a simultaneous worldwide release and as a result, released one week before Super Mario Odyssey. With both Smash 5 and Pokemon Gen 8 on the horizon, if FE wants to maximize sales, it should release in early 2019 or at the very least, pull a Xenoblade 2 and release in December for that sweet Christmas money.

Edited by Armagon

I expect a trailer at E3 with a release date of March/April next year because I have never thought it will come out this year.  I am just hoping that it does not turn in to the 5 year wait that happened with Zelda BotW.  

Edited by EricaofRenais

FE titles as of late only has about half a year between announcement and release.

I'm personally convinced that the utter lack of info points towards Pokemon as a 2019 title, and there are rumors of Smash launching in September.

So, either FE Switch has been delayed to early 2019 or Nintendo is going to try Xenoblade 2 again and stick it in a late November/early December slot to close out the year on.

Probably going to be a late 2018 if at all release. I hope to gods they don't release it near smash or pokemon. God forbid we don't need another Radiant Dawn vs Mario Galaxy case. I will say if it does come out later 2018 or 2019, I'd be fine with that, though dissapointed, cause I'd probably be hooked on Octopath traveler and Valkyria Chronicles 4 for a while after their release.

I thought the next Super Smash Bros. was FE16?

But we don't know, wait until E3. Recent FE games have had a short time between announcement and release, so it wouldn't be too unrealistic for it to be announced there. If it's not, then you can make conspiracy theories about it being the next Final Fantasy VII Remake. Not that I really care about when it's released as long as it's a good game. As Miyamoto says, "a delayed game is eventually good, but a rushed game is forever bad."

All of the "They can't have it release close to Smash/Pokemon!" comments make me scratch my head. 

Like, what's the buffer zone to you guys? If Smash releases in September, and maybe Pokemon in November(BIG maybe here), that's still two whole months in the busiest time of the year for game releases open. Nintendo themselves stuck with a "One big/big-ish game per month" schedule for the Switch last year, so clearly they think every month is a solid schedule. And that schedule worked out very well for them. 

If other big announcements get made for October/December and there's no news at E3, sure, panic. But the fall is still wiiiiide open, with just one confirmed title(Smash) and one that's pure speculation(Pokemon). 

Edited by Slumber

No....no reason to its still slated for this year and will still likely be the same for upcoming reports they have enough silence for an entire year and counting as is to show they are ready to show something for E3. Also I hate the "hur dur Smash or Pokemon will ruin sales if its close" which is bs imo. For one Pokemon is still shakey if its coming this year, second different genres for different consumers unless you like all 3 and can get all 3(if Pokemon is this year to begin with) or 2 is up to you and thirdly FE is at its high right now since Fates especially now with Heroes it will do very well regardless y'all are just too impatient to wait till E3.....

Edited by Blade Lord Lyn

5 minutes ago, Slumber said:

All of the "They can't have it release close to Smash/Pokemon!" comments make me scratch my head. 

Like, what's the buffer zone to you guys? If Smash releases in September, and maybe Pokemon in November(BIG maybe here), that's still two whole months in the busiest time of the year for game releases open. Nintendo themselves stuck with a "One big/big-ish game per month" schedule for the Switch last year, so clearly they think every month is a solid schedule. And that schedule worked out very well for them. 

If other big announcements get made for October/December and there's no news at E3, sure, panic. But the fall is still wiiiiide open, with just one confirmed title(Smash) and one that's pure speculation(Pokemon). 

Indeed, its not like it couldn't come out around the same time as others, and its not like its just Nintendo releases anyways, you got KH3, FF7HDR, and a list so long of other games coming out, and that wont stop someone from putting a game out, otherwise no games ever would.

10 minutes ago, Slumber said:

Well, to me, "too close" is within the same month, as was the case with FE Warriors and Super Mario Odyssey. The Japanese release date of the former didn't have that problem and i'm confident that Nintendo won't make that mistake again, there's just that tiny pessimistic side within me that's saying "they're totally gonna release it within the same month as Smash".

I know nothing of the project's scale, so I feel like a delay or release this year are both equally likely until they finally say something. Absolutely nobody believed Xenoblade 2 could come out in 2017, and we were proven wrong. But in Fire Emblem's case I was 100% confident that they would hold to the 2018 promise, at least until the March Direct. All bets were off after that.

Part of me hopes it does get delayed to the first half of 2019. I'm just concerned that they haven't had the time and resources to devote to a satisfactory flagship title on Switch due to their detour in developing Echoes and the surprising success in Heroes that absolutely demanded substantial updates over the last year. It's going to be a sixty dollar game, so it has to be a more valuable product than any of the 3DS trilogy. It's the first entry in High definition. And it will probably have full voice acting. If the game does release in, say, november 2018, we're talking a game with approximately two years development-to-release cycle where none of that time had all hands on deck. That's pretty tight. Fire Emblem 16 deserves to be a great entry. And it's probably not as integral to Nintendo's sales projections as Smash or Pokemon.

Edited by Glennstavos

I'd also say it's a bit too early to jump to conclusions, at least before E3. If I were to speculate, then I'd assume Nintendo would want at least two heavy hitters this year. We know Super Smash Bros. is one, and Fire Emblem is most likely the other. That'd leave the way open for Metroid Prime 4 and Pokémon Switch in 2019.

The Nintendo Switch online service will start in September, and it would make sense for them to release the mega popular Super Smash Bros. close to that release date in order to incentivize people to also subscribe to the online service. Since we'll be seeing a Super Smash tournament at E3, I'll imagine the game is at a pretty late stage of development and that it can be released at least in October. If Smash releases in October, then surely releasing Fire Emblem in December wouldn't be that dumb, would it?

This is, of course, just speculation. However, I'm not sure Nintendo would feel that ports, Octopath Traveler and Smash would be enough for an entire year, but maybe I'm wrong.

As always, E3 holds all the answers, and the wait for it is torture.

The best thing I can say is be patient. With huge games like Xenoblade Chronicles 2 releasing not long after being announced, we can assume that the game was in a development period WAY before then. Using that same method of thinking, which isn't always the best thing to do, we can assume that FE16 has been in development for a good while at the very least. As everyone before me has mentioned, we'll just have to wait for E3 to drop the bombshells.

Short answer: No.

Smash is not going to prevent FE Switch from launching on time. I'm sure Smash was planned for around this time well before FE Switch was. I don't recall any previous FE games getting delayed and I don't expect it to happen here.

I'm getting a bit antsy myself but i don't think that the lack of information is something to give cause to believe it will be delayed. Heck we barely knew about Shadows of Valentia and that dropped out of nowhere.

If we hear nothing by come E3 i might start to think otherwise. But something tells me the switch needs big titles this year, and while smash is quite strong it might need another big title release to keep the gravy train rolling

The obvious answer is to wait for E3 to see what Nintendo plans to do. Maybe they'll announce that it will come just after their E3 direct ends and it is a FE4 remake with full VA and as bonus we also get a FE5 one for free! /s

Personally I see 2 possibilities: If Smash comes around one of Oct/Nov/Dec then FE16 will come either 2 months after or before it with the after being more likely which would put FE16 at a Dec 2018 - Feb 2019 release window. Worst comes to worse and the game is delayed to Spring 2019 but I don't believe that'll happen.

Pokemon is a non concern to me, people are starving for news and are buying into tons of unreliable rumors but as far as I remember every generation comes 2 years after the new console has released, excluding the first 2 gens which came 1 year after but we know that development cycles have become longer and GF needs time to create a new engine for the games. This puts Pokemon at a likely release of either Summer or Fall 2019 with Fall being the most likely because both the 6th and 7th generations released during that timeframe.

Not really. I thought about this before and thought about how little time there is for an announcement till the game comes out but then I went back and checked the time period between fates announcement and the japanese release + some other nintendo games and realized there's nothing to worry about. We're definitely getting info by the next big smash announcement since they are definitely putting the protagonist from the new FE there, if not as a playable character then at least as an assist trophy or something. They wouldn't want to loose on cheap marketing specially with all the attention FE got in sm4sh.

I feel like sm4sh is coming out around july~august (it's smash, it's not like they need a holiday for it to sell) while FE and Metroid Prime 4 will come out during winter holidays.