General Trails thread (Trails of Cold Steel 4 (PS4) out now).

Armagon

31 minutes ago, Rapier said:

So, I'm trying to get a friend of mine into Sky, but he only has a PSVita and the Sky trilogy isn't available for digital purchase there. Is there a way to obtain it digitally on a PSVita?

Is he sure about that?

Might be a region thing?

• Replies 742
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

CS1 was the starting chapter so even if the characters were not very good, it's still acceptable. CS2 is where thing get hot but none of the main cast has anything new to add to their personality. In fact, I have the feeling that they became even flatter. Everyone is the same, some even managed to become dumber. The story is lame, there's no twist, no interesting confrontation until the very end of the game. I have to say the bad guys in CS2 is probably the worst bad guys in Trait series and I have played the Sky trilogy and the first Kiseki game. 

1 hour ago, Magical CC said:

CS1 was the starting chapter so even if the characters were not very good, it's still acceptable. CS2 is where thing get hot but none of the main cast has anything new to add to their personality. In fact, I have the feeling that they became even flatter. Everyone is the same, some even managed to become dumber. The story is lame, there's no twist, no interesting confrontation until the very end of the game. I have to say the bad guys in CS2 is probably the worst bad guys in Trait series and I have played the Sky trilogy and the first Kiseki game. 

Every post in here of yours is bitching about CS2, I mean I think it's one of the weaker games in the series but it's still very good overall because it's still Trails.

If you're gonna only whine, the door is avaliable for you to leave and also to hit yourself on the way out.

3 hours ago, Jedi said:

Every post in here of yours is bitching about CS2, I mean I think it's one of the weaker games in the series but it's still very good overall because it's still Trails.

If you're gonna only whine, the door is avaliable for you to leave and also to hit yourself on the way out.

I post what I want and I see no reason to stop. If you dont want to read my post then feel free to get out using the same door. Unlike you, I am a nice person so I wish the best for you and your journey on the way out.

Edit: also you are wrong. I also praised Sky trilogy. 

Edited by Magical CC

9 hours ago, Magical CC said:

I post what I want and I see no reason to stop. If you dont want to read my post then feel free to get out using the same door. Unlike you, I am a nice person so I wish the best for you and your journey on the way out.

Edit: also you are wrong. I also praised Sky trilogy. 

I mean, you can also be diplomatic about it.  Take some responsibility for your actions - people don't tell you to GTFO for no reason.

2 hours ago, Rapier said:

Oh right, he's european.

Ghostlight (the guys that did the European version) apparently lost their license to it.  Steam might be his only option (or region-switching, but I have no idea if/how it works).

• 2 weeks later...

I did it! I finally beat Trails of Cold Steel II. My thoughts

What i liked

• Not being restricted to where i could and couldn't go. Any areas that Cold Steel 1 wouldn't let you go to during the field studies, you could go to in this game.
  • Overdrive was a decent mechanic.
  • Divine Knight battles were fun. They reminded me of the Gear and E.S battles in the Xeno series (particularly Xenogears and Xenosaga II/III). I do wish there was more to it, since there's not a whole lot of strategy to Divine Knight battles since it's usually just Valimar wrecking everything but i enjoyed it.
  • The Courageous serving as your home base and being able to travel to any point you had previously visited.
  • The characters got better from Cold Steel 1. Most of them. Gotta say though, i think Class VII might be my favorite group of characters in the series. I really got a sense of how close their bonds are.
  • Though he was more of an anti-hero, Crow was a good villain.
  • You actually get money for completing quests. I don't know why Cold Steel 1 got rid of that but i'm glad they brought it back.
  • Spoiler

That bit where you get to play as Lloyd and Rixia was pretty cool.

What i didn't like

• I felt that the main conflict ended too quickly. Instead of the usual chapters, the game is divided into acts, but even then, i felt that it ended too quickly.
  • The conflict between the Noble Alliance and the Reformists was poorly done. I said the same about Cold Steel 1 but it's somehow even worse here. Everything the Noble Alliance does is objectively wrong. What should've been a morally grey conflict is being painted in black and white.
  • While Crow was a good villain, he was the only good villain. Vita was eh, the Ouroborus guys didn't have much depth to them either, Duke Albarea was bad and Duke Cheyane (that's his name, right?) was probably the worst. They even gave him a punchable face, which is another example of the game's "the Noble Alliance is bad" message.
  • That epilogue dungeon, while not as long as i thought it'd be, kinda did burn me out. It wasn't a very fun dungeon. But it did lead into a nice ending so i guess i'll let it slide.

Final thoughts

Overall, it's tied with Sky SC as my favorite Trails game. Gameplay-wise, it's definitely my favorite. I prefer SC's story more but i prefer CSII's characters, at least when it comes to Class VII.

Now that that's out of the way, i can finally begin focusing more of my time on Trails of Azure.

• 4 weeks later...
2 hours ago, KeA said:

Wow this place died. But hey, Sen IV is out next week!!

I have to avoid the TGS stuff so hard so I don’t get spoiled. Working through Zero now haha.

Still nothing about a CS3 localization, and I don't know if the Zero/Ao english patches were released yet. Ugh.

Well, at least I still have to get through CS2 (I was going to play it, but then I got way busier).

Edited by Rapier

51 minutes ago, Rapier said:

Still nothing about a CS3 localization, and I don't know if the Zero/Ao english patches were released yet. Ugh.

Well, at least I still have to get through CS2 (I was going to play it, but then I got way busier).

Not yet, but there is a transcript for CS3 at least now, rough but works.

Although as i've been told as I go through Crossbell I need their context before even considering CS3 via transcript.

53 minutes ago, Rapier said:

Still nothing about a CS3 localization, and I don't know if the Zero/Ao english patches were released yet. Ugh

Both Crossbell English patches have been released. Can't link them here but if you do a google search, it should pop up (or i can just send them to you in a DM, that's allowed, right?)

------------------------------------

At any rate, with CS4 coming out next week, i'm probably gonna go spoil myself on it. I've already spoiled myself some pretty major plot points of CS3 and all of this happened because there's no localization in sight.

13 hours ago, Armagon said:

Both Crossbell English patches have been released. Can't link them here but if you do a google search, it should pop up (or i can just send them to you in a DM, that's allowed, right?)

I think the person was referring to the higher quality translations that are being made. Assuming so, the Zero one is still being worked on, but I have no idea about the Ao one.

2 hours ago, familyplayer said:

I think the person was referring to the higher quality translations that are being made. Assuming so, the Zero one is still being worked on, but I have no idea about the Ao one.

Ah. Yeah, i don't know if the Ao one was in "beta" but it's perfectly playable compared to the Google translated one that floated around the Internet a while back.

The in-game manuals will never be translated though.

On 21/09/2018 at 12:20 PM, Armagon said:

Ah. Yeah, i don't know if the Ao one was in "beta" but it's perfectly playable compared to the Google translated one that floated around the Internet a while back.

The in-game manuals will never be translated though.

Is this "perfectly readable" one the leaked one from a few months ago?

Also, posting/sending patches is ok. We wouldn't have ROM hack threads with links to each fangame patch if it wasn't allowed. You just can't post ROMs/isos and emulators (although emulators aren't ilegal too, but iirc SF is against this practice, so...)

Edited by Rapier

Is this "perfectly readable" one the leaked one from a few months ago?

I think so.

Also, posting/sending patches is ok. We wouldn't have ROM hack threads with links to each fangame patch if it wasn't allowed. You just can't post ROMs/isos and emulators (although emulators aren't ilegal too, but iirc SF is against this practice, so...)

Yeah, in the case of both Zero and Ao, it's not a patch. The ISO comes translated. So i think posting it here is against the rules.

On 9/20/2018 at 2:11 PM, Armagon said:

While it's technically Not Allowed to send ROMs through PM, I can't enforce it.  But if you really want to be safe, use something that isn't SF (like Discord PM).

Currently most of the way through Zero, gonna work on AO after that and Sen 3 after that.

Then when I finish Sen 3 via its transcript I’ll get 4 and play based off what I learn from 3s menu.

Everyone here is probably already aware, but apparently there was a Famitsu interview with the president of Nihon Falcom.

I don't have a link to the interview (shouldn't be hard to find though) but according to this, a few things said included:

• (On any hints in Trails of Cold Steel IV on what’s next): They’re everywhere from the main story to conversations with NPCs in town, information found across Zemuria, and characters that appeared in the series.
  • Within all that, there might be a key to the next Trails series.
  • Kondo says fans of the series might want to borderline overinterpret the story to get a better idea.

And

• By the ending of Trails of Cold Steel IV, the Trails series will be over 60% complete.

Not like the first bunch of things matter if you don't have the game because you don't read Japanese fluently. You can't find the future in what you can't read.

On 9/26/2018 at 4:38 PM, Interdimensional Observer said:

Everyone here is probably already aware, but apparently there was a Famitsu interview with the president of Nihon Falcom.

I don't have a link to the interview (shouldn't be hard to find though) but according to this, a few things said included:

• (On any hints in Trails of Cold Steel IV on what’s next): They’re everywhere from the main story to conversations with NPCs in town, information found across Zemuria, and characters that appeared in the series.
  • Within all that, there might be a key to the next Trails series.
  • Kondo says fans of the series might want to borderline overinterpret the story to get a better idea.

And

• By the ending of Trails of Cold Steel IV, the Trails series will be over 60% complete.

Not like the first bunch of things matter if you don't have the game because you don't read Japanese fluently. You can't find the future in what you can't read.

Fairly old interview and the fandom itself is quite good at getting transcripts/translations for us who can’t read Japanese.

Then again I’d also rather they localize Zero and AO first as I’ve realized several things in the 3rd and 4th CS games whenever they get localized will make little sense without the Crossbell context.

But then again that’s what our dedicated fanbase is for I suppose, filling in those gaps.

I plan on helping with that with 3 overview videos that I’m still in the barest of structures in. (Wouldn’t expect those for quite some time I still need to play AOs rough translation and CS3 via the transcript).

I've completed FC.

Gameplaywise I preferred CS because of their quartz system and more freedom in the party, but storywise it was excellent.

Estelle is one of the best written characters I've seen in videogames yet. She feels authentic to me in every regard which makes her just great.

The ending was bittersweet - typical Falcom - and makes me want to play the sequels. Unfortunately I have to wait a bit till I have a new laptop because mine has no space thanks to pointless Windows 10 updates which take more than the half of my entire rom's space.

I can recommend this game!