Splitting Magic

Corrobin

Balancing the tome powers itself is a thing, but IMO that's the easy part.

The more "difficult" option is the class accessibility to the tomes.

That aside, my own opinion is "Tellius" (Light, Wind/Fire/Thunder, Dark)

Splitting the sages into their own (Wind/Fire/Thunder) classes is arguably a bad idea, so they can just remain as "Sage".

Dark can be it's own, though using FE11-FE14 style Tome(Anima) + Dark is okay, since you can just balance it off by normal Sages having Staves, and Dark "Sages" having Dark. Alternatively, just give them Dark + Staff, which would make them more unique ala Druids from the GBA series.

The reason why I want to have Light Magic (aside from the fact that I did like it) is so that we can actually differentiate between "Sage" and "Bishop"

Though the issue might be that since Sages get access to all three of the anima triangle, Bishops would need some sort of "incentive" since Sages can use Staves too.
The other way around, giving Bishops Anima, would kind of render Sages pointless, so it might be a little difficult to balance Sages and Bishops. Maybe by limiting Sages Staff Rank (e.g. Lower cap, can't use higher rank staves), but that would depend on staff availability and balance then.

8 hours ago, Von Ithipathachai said:

I don't want it to be like in the 3DS games because I like seeing Light Magic.

The Book of Naga's in Awakening at least, so there's that.

Not quite as powerful as the Naga in Genealogy, but it is one of the more powerful spells in Awakening.

4 hours ago, SoulWeaver said:

I could have sworn Goetia was in there somewhere, you guys are making me doubt myself.

It was in Awakening, but not Fates.

These are the magic tomes that show up in Fates.  And there's also the entirely unique scrolls, most of which contain the spirits of animals.  The only dark magic in Fates is Nosferatu, though I suppose one could say that others like Odin's Grimoire (which has attacks very similar to Seigfried's necrotic-looking blast) might be such as well even though they aren't exclusive to dark mages.  Strangely enough, Excalibur is technically also exclusive to dark magic users in Fates because the sorcerer and witch classes are the only ones that can use S-rank magic.

I like the gameboy system the best. Don't see much need for Thunder/Wind/Fire to be separate things. Though it did create a nice aesthetic in Jugdral with Freege, Velthomer and Silesea. Practically speaking though, in terms of gameplay, it just means more weapon ranks that were a bother to train.

19 hours ago, Cornguy said:

I'd be okay with anima sharing a weapon level, and just giving specialized mages some sort of bonus for using their specialty. Could be class based or skill based. If it were skill based, it'd also be pretty cool for when you recruit a Pent-like character, that they might have multiple tome specialization skills. Class-based would just be as simple as wind mage gains +2 speed when using a wind tome, thunder could get +15 crit if they want to just make thunder tomes +5 crit, and fire could get +1 atk and +10 hit.

I like magic being pretty involved, it doesn't have to be too complicated though.

I think this is the best idea by a long shot. You get the simple yet diverse system of the gameboy games, while also maintaining character distinctions using personal skills. Soren's still a mage who can use any of the Anima tomes, but if the tome happens to be a Wind subtype, he can use it at one rank lower and get a small attack or speed might boost. No need to train multiple magic ranks.

Edited by Jotari

Speaking of, does that mean that we need GBA Tome Progression (Fire -> Thunder -> Elfire -> Bolting -> Fimbulventr -> Excalibur) or can we split the tomes like Judgral and Tellius, just put them under the same categories ( Wind -> Elwind -> Arcwind, Fire -> Elfire -> Arcfire, Thunder -> Elthunder -> Arcthunder)?

I would like to see light/anima/dark make a return, with each magic type having unique spells to make them diverse. Light magic would deal less damage but have crit/hit bonuses. Dark would deal more damage but less Avoid and Crit Evade. Anima would be in the middle.

They can all share tome rank for simplicity's sake. I don't see a need for a magic triangle, however.

10 hours ago, Corrobin said:

Speaking of, does that mean that we need GBA Tome Progression (Fire -> Thunder -> Elfire -> Bolting -> Fimbulventr -> Excalibur) or can we split the tomes like Judgral and Tellius, just put them under the same categories ( Wind -> Elwind -> Arcwind, Fire -> Elfire -> Arcfire, Thunder -> Elthunder -> Arcthunder)?

Just as long as Arcthunder is Thoron and a big fuck-off lazer beam of electricity. 

I really want that effect back. 

On 4/23/2018 at 1:03 PM, DisobeyedCargo said:

I think they did, and light and dark were just neutral to all of the magics

Light was neutral to all magics in PoR (but it sucked anyway). It, along with dark, was implemented into the magic triangle in RD... a grave mistake, to be sure.

On 4/23/2018 at 2:47 PM, Von Ithipathachai said:

With this in mind, the 3DS magic system is probably the most practical.  But it's also incredibly boring to look at.

The other magic systems people are talking about here at least add more flavor if they don't accomplish much else.

The practical aspect was what won out for me - the other magic systems don't really add anything of note that'd make them worth bringing back.

19 minutes ago, Levant Mir Celestia said:

The practical aspect was what won out for me - the other magic systems don't really add anything of note that'd make them worth bringing back.

Actually, you just made me remember a fix for the 3DS magic system that I came up with a long time ago and forgot about:

Keep it like it is in Awakening, but add in more Light Magic and make it exclusive to Mages and Sages, like how Dark Magic is exclusive to Dark Mages and Sorcerers.  Both simple compared to the Trinity of Magic systems and more interesting, am I right?

(I don't remember if Dark Mages and Sorcerers could use the Book of Naga in Awakening, but I haven't seen anything saying they can't.)

Edited by Von Ithipathachai

On 4/25/2018 at 4:06 PM, Von Ithipathachai said:

(I don't remember if Dark Mages and Sorcerers could use the Book of Naga in Awakening, but I haven't seen anything saying they can't.)

Pretty sure they can, yes.

I think then the question is what would light magic have to make it stand out?

1 minute ago, Dayni said:

Pretty sure they can, yes.

I think then the question is what would light magic have to make it stand out?

Well, we could either make Light Tomes super-lightweight and give them high Critical Hit rates, or give them debuffing effects, turning them into a magical equivalent to Daggers.

2 hours ago, Von Ithipathachai said:

Well, we could either make Light Tomes super-lightweight and give them high Critical Hit rates, or give them debuffing effects, turning them into a magical equivalent to Daggers.

I could also see them maybe getting 3 range, like Lightning in Gaiden. Or hell, maybe even exclusive access to the siege tomes.

Re Weapon Ranks: Make Anima share Weapon rank, however, Specialization get +1 Rank while the others get -1 Rank

For Example: A Wind Mage with D anima Magic can use C Wind, but only E Fire/Thunder

Edited by Shrimperor