Best and worst Genealogy of Holy War maps?

Jotari

Best Holy War Map?  

44 members have voted

1. 1. Best Holy War Map?

• Prologue: Birth of the Holy Knight
    • Chapter 1: Girl of the Spirit Forest
    • Chapter 2: Disturbance in Agustria
    • Chapter 3: Lionheart Eldigan
    • Chapter 4: Dance in the Skies
    • Chapter 5: Doors of Destiny
    • Chapter 6: Light Inheritors
    • Chapter 7: Passing the Desert
    • Chapter 8: Dragon Knights of Thracia
    • Chapter 9: For Whose Sake
    • Chapter 10: Light and Dark
    • Endgame: The Last Holy War
  2. 2. Worst Holy War Map?

• Prologue: Birth of the Holy Knight
    • Chapter 1: Girl of the Spirit Forest
    • Chapter 2: Disturbance in Agustria
    • Chapter 3: Lionheart Eldigan
    • Chapter 4: Dance in the Skies
    • Chapter 5: Doors of Destiny
    • Chapter 6: Light Inheritors
    • Chapter 7: Passing the Desert
    • Chapter 8: Dragon Knights of Thracia
    • Chapter 9: For Whose Sake
    • Chapter 10: Light and Dark
    • Endgame: The Last Holy War

People seem to feel strongly about the maps in Genealogy of the Holy War (and there's only 12 so you can reasonably fit them in a poll). So which, judging from a gameplay technical stand point (since I don't want the Battle of Barhara sweeping it), do you think are the best and worst maps?

Edited by Jotari

Gave my 'Best' vote to Ch3 and my 'Worst' vote to Ch4.

Chapter 3 is one of the few maps in the game where it's pretty easy to make some good use of your infantry units. Backtracking is minimal, and totally inoffensive with the little that you do have to do. The layout of the map allows infantry to easily combat units that attack your home castle from the start while your horseback units rush to take the first castle, and also lets them set up to take on the Cross Knights as they come. Dealing with Eldigan quickly is another fun challenge, especially if you didn't promote Lachesis by this point. Fast, fun, and hectic, while also being one of the few maps in the game that can reasonably be beaten very quickly (if you don't mind passing on the Wind Sword).

As much as I like the story and music for Chapter 4, I have to admit there's a lot of problems with it. The fact that the first castle essentially on the opposite end of the map from your starting position means that your cavalry have plenty of time to leave your infantry in the dust. Infantry will be lucky to even so much as get the leftovers during the first portion of the map, and any advantage they could have had on the second castle is negated by the second issue this map has: waiting. There's so much waiting on this map. You wait for Dew to get to the bridge. You wait for Mahnya to finish up her part. You wait for the guard to move out of the way so you can go to Silesia Castle. By then all your horses are back to the start, where they'll leave all your infantry in the dust again. I was debating about voting for Chapter 2 due to all the backtracking, but at least in Chapter 2 footsoldiers can be used in the last two castles without slowing things to a crawl. At least with Chapter 2 you're still thinking about who needs experience and how you're going to trade around that Paragon Ring. At least with Chapter 2 you can try to figure out a way to quickly get Lachesis up to speed for the next map, if that's your thing. Chapter 4 has...waiting. And lots of it.

Best - Ch3: One of the only maps in the game where defending your castle is important, and where the big maps were really used gameplay wise. If you don't have good defence around your Castle or you didn'T send Sigurd back fast enough, you would get a good Eldigan coming for ya.

Worst - Ch7: Fuck that desert and whoever thought making a huge desert map was a good idea.

Best, CH8, I think that's the right number. The one where you recruit Sety/Ced. Nothing too specific, I just like the pace, there's a lot to do, time to properly try out Leif and Nanna. Got the Ishtar mini-boss too. 

Worst, CH4. It's all pretty much been said, but yeah, bad castle order, lots of walking, the bridge, the guard, the mountains. It also contains one of the only events that might crash the game even if it's unmodified. Hope you save between turns. The section after you cross the mountains is kinda fun though.

Best: I have mixed feelings between Chapter 5 and Chapter 6, but I'll go with 5.

It has a great song, plot-wise it pumps you up for the challenge ahead, it has an almost linear map where the only annoyances are a few desert tiles on the way and a bunch of mages using meteor.

Worst: Chapter 10, but I do give honorable mentions to 4 and 9.

On 10, you start with a bunch of status inflicting enemies or long distance mages shooting your units while there is a huge forest in your way. The road is blocked by heavy hitting units with plenty of endurance to deal with your units while their squishies inflict statuses or screw your infantry with long shots. Sure, your infantry can use the forest to turn them into dodge masters, but have fun reaching the aforementioned squishies while moving 2-3 tiles per turn. Oh, and there are children who you need to save who are at the other end of the aforementioned forest.

Then it forces you to deal with two powerhouses that require experient abuse of stat boosts and game mechanics to deal with, and later on it forces you to deal with the enemy army and find enough time to save the helpless children who ran to the end of the map.

My opinions will be pretty limited.

The map with Eldigan is pretty neat.  The crazy flanking maneuver you have to deal with when you engage the enemy troops and the fact that many of them are trying to charge your base make for quite a few "oh shit!" moments.  And like always there are the village-wrecking bandits all around that spur you to hurry up and defeat the enemy.  There's also nothing like seeing a powerful sniper destroying an army of idiot thugs, which gives a pretty good preview of the kind of power Briggid wields even without Ichival.

I'm not particularly a fan of 1 or 2, though.  I just hate that there's, like, three large forests you have to navigate through and that you have to lead Ayra on a wild goose chase that could possibly end with one of your units dying if you want to actually recruit her in Chapter 1.  And in Chapter 2...  Well, good luck keeping Lachesis's stupid paladins alive while also training her (assuming you want to do more than relegate her to healbot for, like, 50 turns).  And there's the legions of ballistae and armor knights... and tedious chokepoints.  Yeah, Chapter 2 kind of sucked.

I also hated Chapter 4.  It's like okay, I get close to the end of the northern part (which is tedious and BS enough as it is), so what do I do?  I have Adean warp damn near every infantry unit I had to the home base, have every mounted unit rush over there right before I take the base to the far east.  Then it turns out that not only did I actually have to wait for a dozen neutral pegasus knights to die, but also the game was expecting me to still be in-transit between bases, because it sends some goddamn fliers to retake the base I took all the way in the east.  That chapter is giant maps at one of its worst moments.

The only maps in FE4 I legitimately enjoy are 3 and 8, due to some exciting stuff happening in both and having very few annoyances. I voted for 8 in the poll since I give it a slight edge over 3. No backtracking, no slow movement sections, and plenty of interesting battles.

There's lots of bad maps, but I have to give the vote to 7. Screw that map to hell with its "go around the mountain on a desert" design, and lots of moments where you're just moving your units and nothing is happening.

For me it's difficult to talk about but...

Good Maps - 3, 6, 8, 9.

Bad Maps, P, 1, 2, 4, 5, 7, 10 , F

8-9 are the traditional  best maps, while 3-6 are good for being being inoffensive and short for what they are.

I think that maps like 2, 10, F, are better than other bad maps since they let you see the potential of the big gameplay, although they don't quite realize it themselves. 7 has some merit points simply because the begining of gen 2 temporarily discourages big enemy phases. at least as big as gen 1 and late gen 2 it's still GBA big  

Edited by Reality

My favorite chapter is 10. After 9, it's a fairly notable drop in difficulty, which makes sense since the empire has been pushed back into Grannvale at this point. The fight with Julius and Ishtar shows how far the characters have come. The final battle with Arvis is also very nice, as is the scene with Seliph and his parents. The only complaints I have are the backtracking, which even then is minimal, and the Hel users near the starting castle.

Chapter 7 is the worst. Desert maps are rarely any good (although 5 is), and this one is a special standout. The starting castle is once again surrounded by magic users, but unlike in 10 there's no defensive tiles and most of your army consists of Res-lets, with one of the three units with good resistance being unable to fight back. On the other side of the map, Patty is surrounded by enemies who can oneshot her unless she dodges. Shannan can oneshot everyone in turn, but it usually takes me about five tries before I can clear out the area. Seliph has to climb up to these two through the desert, wasting a large amount of turns. All of this is on a fairly strict timer, as a bandit spawns behind neutral territory that will destroy a valuable village. On the other other side of the map, Leif actually has it too easy. So long as he's promoted, Finn can guard the castle with no danger of dying. Leif and Nanna start pretty weak, but they still aren't too threatened by the enemy so long as they stay on the village tiles. This by itself isn't too much of an issue, but it's jarring how easy this area is to handle compared to how the story treats it as a hopeless struggle.

In general, I think I would rate the maps 10 > 8 > F > 3 > 5 > 6=P > 4 > 2 > 9 > 1 > 7

Chapter 3 is always the chapter I look forward to whenever I play. It feels tight, fun to play, and is overall a very fun chapter to play. Chapter 4 always felt too spread out for it's own good and expects you to spend many turns just moving from the first castle to the second castle. 

I really liked the endgame, It was a bit of a choke point filled but overall it didn't have infinite reinforcements so it gets an up there. Plus everyones so overpowered the trash is nothing making fighting the boss characters and enemies with holy weapons more meaningful.

Meanwhile Chapter 4 is just..eugh. I'm not that big a fan of the music, and everything else wrong with it has been said. It's the 1 map that I actually had a problem playing just because it was dull and boring. I don't mid Chapter 7 that much as I liked thats music and I don't mind dessert chapters too much.

Favorite: Chapter 7, it's got my favorite theme. Seconded by the prologue and final map equally. Honorable mention to chapter 9 because of the theme

Least favorite: Chapter 2 and 3 almost equally. Not because I hate them, I just never grew fond of them. Although I like chapter 3 more because you can at least choke the bridge to the bandit castle and train a few units that way, if you don't care about rank.

• 2 weeks later...