What's the weather like in Fire Emblem games?

Ronnie

I've been working on my own comic series and it got me thinking about the climate and making sure everyone's clothes fit the seasons. Then I thought about how inconsistent the clothing is for Fire Emblem characters. You've got guys in full armor, guys with some armor but mostly cloth, and girls who are half naked. How do they survive the hot and cold weather? What's the climate like for every party member to be comfortable in their attire?

12 minutes ago, SoulWeaver said:

Elibe is the only one I've seen even admit weather exists with those rainstorms that slow everyone down to like 3 Move. 'Fraid that's all the help I can offer.

Well, there's Fog of War which is occasionally due to weather (The FE8 map where you get the Orion's Bolt comes to mind), but other than that yeah, this pretty much.  

Though I am curious how Illian Pegasus Knights work in those short skirts.  Won't they freeze?  Game logic.

Unless it's explicitly said so, or at the very least heavily implied, the weather is more or less up to player interpretation for the most part. However, when you enter into a battle, you'll be able to get a glimpse at the sky (only in certain games, like Path of Radiance and Genealogy of the Holy War for example), and you can determine the time of day and whether there are clouds in the sky. A lot of these are generic backgrounds, but still. Also, in Echoes, when beginning Act 4, Gray remarks at how cold Rigel is, and yet Alm is unfazed.

4 minutes ago, Glaceon Mage said:

Well, there's Fog of War which is occasionally due to weather (The FE8 map where you get the Orion's Bolt comes to mind), but other than that yeah, this pretty much.  

Though I am curious how Illian Pegasus Knights work in those short skirts.  Won't they freeze?  Game logic.

Oh, right, I forgot FoW.

Obviously, they're wearing skin-colored thermal leggings underneath, silly.

My favorite example is that Corrin can walk through freezing snow fields, scorching deserts, up mountains, on an active volcano, and battlefields in general without a pair of shoes on.

2 hours ago, Glaceon Mage said:

Well, usually their mercenary work would have them outside Illia for the most part, I'd think. Also, it probably isn't that cold to begin with, despite mentions of its freezing cold.

Other than that, perhaps centuries of generations living in the cold has make them resistant to it. Who knows...

From what I understand, there is standard weather just like ours, its just up to you where you want your characters to go and how much of video game logic you want to use.  (I.E. Nyx in Nohr vs. Tharja in a desert. Makes sense for Tharja's attire (sorta, its mostly fanservice, but I've seen girls at my college wear nothing but bras and short shorts in 80 degree farenheit weather, versus (google search....) the *average* 100 degree weather of a desert in broad daylight, and do not forget Tharja isn't wearing a straight up bikini, she still has the black-shade-seethrough part that can still hold in heat+absorb heat because its black. Nyx on the other hand...its a cold ass fort she spawns in, surely she'd be wearing some type of heavy clothing, or even a cloak...but no.(Nyx argueably also reveals more skin then Tharja and probably retains less body heat due to size.)).

EDIT:

Note that guys in full armor will retain more heat versus less armored characters, just wanted to put that in, there is also the argument that a character is "used" to the weather, and so can be butt naked without being bothered by the cold, or be wearing 7000 layers in hot weather.

Edited by Bhoop

I get the feeling Archanea/Valentia are humid and warm, sans the places with snow. I also get the feeling Jugdral and Tellius are probably chilly and frigid, sans the places with sand. Elibe is probably somewhere in the middle.

Magvel feels like nothing and Fateslandia has the climate of a sphincter.

Just the feeling I get from each of the major locations.

6 hours ago, Jotari said:

I don't know why they even bothered to make Regna Ferox a snow country when not a single person there dresses to fit it. Olivia lives in Regna Ferox. Olivia!

In general--the game designers intent to sex up their character designs makes it so that apparel from the colder regions of the franchise makes no god-damn sense. (same thing with the Illian miniskirts) 

Fates in a rare moment of oh wow; the writers actually addressed something that needed to be addressed at least attempts to proffer an explanation that members of the ice tribe have tribal magic that protects them from the cold. Hence how Flora and Felicia can walk around in their skimpy maid costumes without freezing to death.  

Since mages tend to fling around fire and ice, I guess you could make the argument that higher res= better ability to tolerate extreme heat and cold without adverse effects in the most literal sense.  But story/game mechanic segregation probably applies there.  (though come to think of it--all those Ilian girls in miniskirts are sporting some pretty respectable res. hmmmmmm.) 

Edited by Shoblongoo

55 minutes ago, Shoblongoo said:

In general--the game designers intent to sex up their character designs makes it so that apparel from the colder regions of the franchise makes no god-damn sense. (same thing with the Illian miniskirts) 

Fates in a rare moment of oh wow; the writers actually addressed something that needed to be addressed at least attempts to proffer an explanation that members of the ice tribe have tribal magic that protects them from the cold. Hence how Flora and Felicia can walk around in their skimpy maid costumes without freezing to death.  

Since mages tend to fling around fire and ice, I guess you could make the argument that higher res= better ability to tolerate extreme heat and cold without adverse effects in the most literal sense.  But story/game mechanic segregation probably applies there.  (though come to think of it--all those Ilian girls in miniskirts are sporting some pretty respectable res. hmmmmmm.) 

Weather aside, if you're flying at any sort of height (and these units can fly over mountains recall), then blisteringly cold winds are going to be a problem, so High Res equaling general elemental resistance makes sense. On the other hand, Draco Knights would also have to deal with massively debilitating wind speeds yet they have crap res (they are dressed slightly more appropriately however).