Testing: New generic banners + increased avatar size

VincentASM

This is perhaps long overdue, but I added some backgrounds to the forum banner at the top of each page. This applies to the Serenes Forest (Default), Night Forest and Blue Skies themes.

Maybe I'll add some characters to the banners later as well. (My current experiments aren't going very well.)

In addition, I've tried to increase the avatar/profile picture size in the topic view. Before it was 90 x 90 px or something silly. Now it's 112 x 112, which I feel is the right balance.

If you've noticed that your avatar looks stretched or blurry, I recommend uploading a higher resolution image (generally anything that's 200 pixels or higher).

Also, if you're uploading a ~112 pixel image, keep in mind that the forum software automatically crops the image for you (although you can undo this in the image cropping screen).

Anyway, if you notice any oddities, please let me know. Comments and feedback are welcome too!

1 hour ago, Purple Mage said:

Can we get a focus feature accurate to the pixel? I would like my avatar to use the exact ratio available with the image being in the center.

Sorry, I dunno if it's possible. However I did test something for you.

What you can do is create a 112 x 112 px image and paste your (smaller) image into the middle.

Then when you upload the image, drag both of the corners until they fit the box, like in the image below:

cj9isZB.png

If you did it right, you should get a 1:1 avatar.

48 minutes ago, Jingle Jangle said:

It's going to be a while for me to adapt to the change. Also, can there be a background in Autumnish colors?

Do you mean a whole skin/theme? Making a new theme is a bit really time-consuming ^^;;;

Last time I made a new theme was the pink Sakura's Forest theme for the previous year's April Fools. I think it took several hours of creating and testing. That's one of the reasons I kept it after April Fools--because it took so much effort to make, ahaha.

Still, I'll think about it.

Nitpick: Maybe it's my rather wide screen, but the light part of the banner in Night Forest bleeds into the upper-right control panel.  If this is the case on something that isn't 16:9, would it be possible to move that section of the forest a wee bit to the left?

Otherwise, these new banners look really nice!

Edited by eclipse

5 minutes ago, eclipse said:

Nitpick: Maybe it's my rather wide screen, but the light part of the banner in Night Forest bleeds into the upper-right control panel.  If this is the case on something that isn't 16:9, would it be possible to move that section of the forest a wee bit to the left?

Otherwise, these new banners look really nice!

I was worried about really wide screens, since I can't test those with my monitor.

Could you upload a screenshot that I can use for reference?

Ahaha, anyway, you're all too kind. I had somebody with more graphical capabilities check the banners and I barely got a C grade for them XD

@eclipse

I've tried moving the fire a bit down. Hopefully that works better!

Currently, the banners are all right aligned, so I don't want to move the horizontal positioning too much ^^

Also, thanks to a CSS whiz, I fixed an issue with the forum/section headers being hard to read in 3 out of 4 themes.

Just now, VincentASM said:

@eclipse

I've tried moving the fire a bit down. Hopefully that works better!

Currently, the banners are all right aligned, so I don't want to move the horizontal positioning too much ^^

Also, thanks to a CSS whiz, I fixed an issue with the forum/section headers being hard to read in 3 out of 4 themes.

Ooh, that looks a lot better!  Thanks!

@VincentASM
Can I just say that your "Test Avatar" is magnificent?

One thing I don't like about the "Blue Skies" banner is that you barely see the stuff on the top (like the notification bell, messages and profile) because it is overly white. Of course both functions will have that red number pop over them but it might be better to find something with more contrast.

The Serenesforest one is rad though.

Edited by Zeratul

2 minutes ago, Zeratul said:

@VincentASM
Can I just say that your "Test Avatar" is magnificent?

One thing I don't like about the "Blue Skies" banner is that you barely see the stuff on the top (like the notification bell, messages and profile) because it is overly white. Of course both functions will have that red number pop over them but it might be better to find something with more contrast.

The Serenesforest one is rad though.

Can you upload a screenshot so I can take a gander?

I tried to pick an image with as few clouds as possible, but it's hard to predict how it'll look in every resolution ^^;;;

Spoiler

image.thumb.png.6013a01bec6331c4ae6ede5163a3ebb8.png

Focused like this it actually doesn't look too bad.
Though there was one instance where it was more "blurried" but I don't seem to be able to replicate it. Maybe it was a loading issue.