Best and Worse designed "generics"?

All the generics in Echoes are fantastic (the Saint, especially) but the witch from Fates DLC is my favourite.

It doesn't look like a generic and it killed me that I couldn't capture one for my team. :(

FatesWitchPortrait.png

Edited by Vince777

7 minutes ago, CyberController said:

I noticed a pattern here....

In Awakening's defense, not every Awakening class is the worst designed thing ever, but there are some... questionable class designs in Awakening, and the generics get the worst of it.

Plus, not many FEs have super standout generic designs, and attention only really started getting brought to them with Awakening. So there are 3 standouts here, and the one that made the... weirdest choices is going to be the one I probably point to when it comes to the worst. Because why clothing made out of bones? Why crocodile hat and lingerie? Why the stupid neckpiece and knight helmet with leather sleeves on no shirt and why all of it gold? Why the.... EVERYTHING with that Knight/General armor?

Edited by Slumber

I like the Great Knights from Fates and Awakening on paper, but their in game designs....not so much. 

2 hours ago, Vince777 said:

All the generics in Echoes are fantastic (the Saint, especially) but the witch from Fates DLC is my favourite.

It doesn't look like a generic and it killed me that I couldn't capture one for my team. :(

FatesWitchPortrait.png

Agreed

Also, the soldier design from fe11/fe12 was kinda nice.

Love the majority of the Tellius and Echoes generics. In particular, the Dark Mages, Fighters and Sword Masters from RD, and the Soldiers/Barons and Magic classes from Echoes.

Worst, Awakening Cavaliers/Greatknights, Knights/Generals, Assassins, Bowknights(only the generics though, that hat), and Dark Mages shared with Fates. Also every Fates class where the female version is assless. Not the Fighters though, I can let it slide since they're both assless. GBA Fighters and Brigands are also a little silly, not the worst, but they're just generally goofy in a non-threatening way.

I would also put Dread Fighters in worst if we were talking about our own units, because I think the outfit looks a bit too complicated/spiritual for every playable DF. BUT, the generic DF looks pretty rad. Can't fault the generics just because my units can't pull off the look.

I like most Fates generics, especially Nohrians, but the Dark Mage is really weird and I don't like it. I couldn't tell it was a guy for a while (I don't normally play with animations, so I never heard him say anything). My favorite generic is the Fates Adventurer. Bitchin hat, bro.

7 hours ago, Vince777 said:

FatesWitchPortrait.png

I thought the generic witch design was a reference to Sonya in Gaiden. Because in that game instead of being a mage as in Echoes, her class was a witch.

Despite having a soft spot for them, Awakenings Knights, Generals, and Great Knights have some of the most laughably ridiculous designs in the series (although I blame the helmets for the latter two, as the armor itself isn't that bad). I also think the dark mage and sorcerer class designs from the same game look fine in Plegia or when fighting the Grimleal, but they seem out of place when in the hands of bandits or the Valmanese army.

While not bad, I always got the impression that myrmidons from the GBA games looked a little too casual. They seemed more like a random person wearing a fancy jacket and wielding a sword than an actual trained soldier. That may just be me, though.

As for favorites, everything from Echoes (even though I wish that they randomized the hair color and style of helmet-less units. It occasionally broke my immersion whenever I realized that the mercenaries all had the exact same face and hair-color, and the beautiful artwork only made it more apparent) although I also like the myrmidon and thief designs and their promotions from Awakening. The Paladin design has remained consistently awesome and powerful-looking throughout the series, and it remains as one of my favorites in the franchise.

Fates' and Awakening's Wyvern Lord, Wyvern Rider, Malig Knight, Dark Knight, Knight, General, and most of all Fates' Dark Magician and Sorcerer are all terribad.

Awakening's and Fates' Heroes and Swordmasters looked cool though.

Also just about every Echoes class is really stylish and looks nice.

The designs of 3DS Berserkers (I don't feel the need to separate Awakening and Fates's designs because they both flat out suck), FE8 Great Knights, Awakening Assassins, and Fates Fighters are all terribad. On the other hand, the Witch design in Fates and the Saint design from SoV are the best.

I do recall Awakening having some fantastic designs for Archers and related classes. Otherwise, yeah...

The cavaliers have their famous toilet bowl armor and the Armored Knights don't look like they are wearing heavy armor, they look like they are wearing a jetpack. Meanwhile their front armor looks actually quite thin. And let's not forget the dark mages with their full body stockings... just nope.

I think I like Jugdral Paladins the most. They look really... well knightly. Their massive shields are particularly striking. I also really like the mage designs.

Holy hell, so many Awakening generics look so dumb.  I have to give it especially to the Great Knights just for their stupid helmets.  The armor knights in Awakening are also dumb, and the berserker in Fates, again, has a really dumb helmet.

I think I like just the standard classes in most games outside of the majority of Awakening's.  The cavaliers, paladins, spear fighter in Fates, mercenaries...  If I had more references than Spriter's Resource's incomplete stockpile, I'd be able to give a more definite answer.  But I like them because they typically have quite a bit going on while still keeping it at a respectable level.  They don't have stupid things like weird antler helmets or ridiculous shoulder pads that would make an American football coach cry.  Just nice and soldierly; they look like they actually belong on the battlefield.

Edited by Ertrick36

Well madhouse helped out with the generics of awakening soooo....

in all seriousness I like awakening’s generics but echoes and fates are just so much better in terms of actual quality. Ugh oh well I’ll probably elaborate on this later when I have more time.

2 hours ago, Ertrick36 said:

the berserker in Fates, again, has a really dumb helmet.

I will say, the Berserker helmet actually did help the Berserkers of that game feel... Otherworldly. Which was why Berserkers are a thing in fiction. 

IRL, the few accounts of berserkers were giant, naked(Usually only wearing animal pelts to imitate the animals they killed like bears or wolves, and to indicate to allies to stay the fuck away during a fight), possibly mentally handicapped or inebriated men who were buzzsaws on the battlefield that killed enemy and ally with no regard, and were seen as unkillable. 

Beyond being incredibly dangerous, there was a "shock and awe" type of effect that came with a berserker joining a fight. Which I think Fates' helmet conveys a hit better than Awakening's cartoony bone everything. There's a brief period where you look at a Berserker in Fates and go "What in the fuck is that?!" before you realize what it is and go "That's dumb", as opposed to going straight to "That's dumb". 

Edited by Slumber

13 hours ago, Slumber said:

In Awakening's defense, not every Awakening class is the worst designed thing ever, but there are some... questionable class designs in Awakening, and the generics get the worst of it.

Plus, not many FEs have super standout generic designs, and attention only really started getting brought to them with Awakening. So there are 3 standouts here, and the one that made the... weirdest choices is going to be the one I probably point to when it comes to the worst. Because why clothing made out of bones? Why crocodile hat and lingerie? Why the stupid neckpiece and knight helmet with leather sleeves on no shirt and why all of it gold? Why the.... EVERYTHING with that Knight/General armor?

What class has the "crocodile hat"?

4 minutes ago, Just call me AL said:

Last I checked, Anubis wasn't a crocodile. Nor were what the Dark Mages wearing hats.

First of all, I don't believe anyone said anything about Anubis being a crocodile (that's Sobek).

Second, ...I can't understand the other sentence.

3 minutes ago, Just call me AL said:

Last I checked, Anubis wasn't a crocodile. Nor were what the Dark Mages wearing hats.

The fact that this design is supposed to look ancient Egyptian really doesn't help. Like, I'm pretty sure Anubis isn't wearing a full body stocking. Quite frankly I can't think of a lot of things that clash with an ancient Egyptian aesthetic more then a full body stocking.

9 minutes ago, Von Ithipathachai said:

First of all, I don't believe anyone said anything about Anubis being a crocodile (that's Sobek).

I never said anything that implied that someone did either. 

9 minutes ago, Von Ithipathachai said:

Second, ...I can't understand the other sentence.

The Dark Mages are wearing hoods, not hats.