What do you do/what do you want to do/where are you now?

Ansem

I'm graduating this year and have found myself asking this question/being asked this question very often. I wanted to open it up to all of you guys as I'm curious about who you guys are outside the forums. 

As for myself, I will graduate with a B.S. in biochemistry next month. I am currently looking for lab Technician positions, preferably in NYC as that is where I live currently. I see myself working this job for a little while before returning to graduate school to pursue a Ph.D. and strive towards a career as a scientist, whether that is in academia or industry. 

I'm still in High School, which is going pretty decently right now, but if I could, I'd like to be a Voice Actor. My Theater class has really inspired me to go that route, as well as video games, and I think it would be a really interesting thing to do. I've also considered being a Lawyer, preferably a prosecutor, and I'm going to take an Intro to Law class Senior year.

If all else fails, I'll be a farmer.

As mentioned in my introductory topic, I got laid off my job recently, so at the moment I'm doing nothing. I plan to do an apprenticeship so I'll have better chances in the job market. If you're asking me what I actually WANT to do though.. I'd like to work part time and do all sorts of cool stuff in my free time, mainly related to playing music. I've been a freelance DJ and event organizer for around ten years now together with a group of friends, but would like to branch out into playing live music with instruments.

I'm not a big fan of the current state of western society, where money and status are everything, which is why I'm having a hard time finding motivation to go look for that apprenticeship and work on improving my life. I'd much rather do my own thing than work eight hours a day to make people I don't care about richer than they need to be. To that end, the apprenticeship thing feels more like a means to an end rather than something I actually want to do.

I graduated Computer Science and work a shit full-time job currently.

To be honest, 18 months in the work environment has made me realised that I don't care so much about what society demands in the non-edgiest way possible and I'd prefer to move towards doing part-time work in order to sustain myself. (thankfully I likely have the option to do so even with lower income)

It's somewhat demoralising to give up a career path, but right now I'm just unhappy with it.

Edited by Tryhard

Currently nearing the end of my second last year in Secondary School (A.k.a High School). My summer exams are coming up soon and then I'm off then I go into 6th year and work towards my Leaving Cert, which is pretty much one of the biggest exams anyone in Ireland does.

Hopefully, if I do well, I'll get enough points for my coarse in college. Right now I'm mixed between Psychology, Social Work and Primary Education. I'm hoping I'll find a coarse and eventual career where I can kind of combine the three since I'm passionate about them all (Though I am leaning more towards Psychology).

That great, I'm graduating this December with a Bachelors degree in public management 

strangely, I'm planning on going into career firefighting 

1 hour ago, Tryhard said:

It's somewhat demoralising to give up a career path, but right now I'm just unhappy with it.

have you thought of taking up a hobby that can net you some extra income, I'm currently building hives so I can start harvesting and selling honey

I'm currently a unemployed part time student majoring in General Studies at a community college near me and have been for at least three years. To be honest, things are at a standstill for me right now and I'm not exactly happy with that.

What I would like to do is move into my own apartment and figure out what the heck I want to do with my life, plus get a job that I actually enjoy. 

2 hours ago, Tryhard said:

To be honest, 18 months in the work environment has made me realised that I don't care so much about what society demands in the non-edgiest way possible and I'd prefer to move towards doing part-time work in order to sustain myself. (thankfully I likely have the option to do so even with lower income)

You're really not alone here. Speaking from around ten years of work experience here, including one job that sucked me so dry that I suffered a burnout because of it. I feel like the current work environment really hasn't adapted to the modern needs of society. People are expected to always function, give 120%, put in extra hours and all that, yet it's unaccounted for that by doing so, they're giving up their private life and potentially ruining their health.

Work is important, but if it makes you unhappy, I think it's about high time you start looking for an alternative if you've got the chance.

Edited by Funky Tim

I had a bunch of RL shit happen to me that destroyed my plans and my dreams so I am not working right now and I only have an associate's degree.  I plan on getting my motorcycle licence and applying for jobs near my house this summer, because of my health issues I have not learned how to drive and I have to fix that first. Honestly I don't want a degree anymore, after seeing what my mom goes through every day with her job, I just want a job that covers the bills with a little left over I can save for fun stuff.    

8 hours ago, Tryhard said:

I can see what you mean. One of my old roommates became an actuary for a pretty big firm, and his income projection was really high. But he doesn't feel fulfilled at his job, and is now thinking of going back to school in pursuit of a Ph.D in mathematics as he wants to be a professor someday. 

5 hours ago, EricaofRenais said:

I had a bunch of RL shit happen to me that destroyed my plans and my dreams so I am not working right now and I only have an associate's degree.  I plan on getting my motorcycle licence and applying for jobs near my house this summer, because of my health issues I have not learned how to drive and I have to fix that first. Honestly I don't want a degree anymore, after seeing what my mom goes through every day with her job, I just want a job that covers the bills with a little left over I can save for fun stuff.    

Tbh I think college is overemphasized. Lots of jobs require a degree nowadays, but I feel college offers limited hands on experience opposed to what an apprenticeship can offer. You spend some much time in lecture halls memorizing shit and doing HW that it becomes a chore. Hell, in your pursuit, you are probably better off than some of my friends who have graduated and are sitting at home waiting to hear for an interview. 

Also update; I have a skype interview tomorrow for a lab tech position at Memorial Sloan Kettering hospital in the city ^_^ it's so hard to keep cool since the research the PI is doing is really interesting and the skills he requires are pertinent to what I already have. God I hope I don't fuck this up. 

Unemployed. Going to community college for my associates in programming. I worked in retail for 10 years and just wasnt happy after a while. Not sure if I want to try for a bachelors or not. If I can even afford it. I want to have a decent paying job that I can enjoy or at least not hate going through to support while doing YouTube videos on the side. Ive already gone through college once for my associates in theatre. But sadly there's no real theatre work where I live. 

I'm currently a senior in high school and I'll be graduating in late May. I'm planning on attending university in fall, but I have absolutely no clue what I want to major in or what career I'd like to pursue. Honestly, it's a little frustrating because it seems like all of my peers around me know exactly what they want to do and how they're going to do it while I'm kind of floating around ideas and just going with the flow. I know I'm young and I don't have to know exactly what I want to do yet, but I still feel like I'm falling behind and I think I'd feel a lot more secure if I knew what I wanted to do in life.

On 4/27/2018 at 9:49 PM, никто said:

I'm currently a senior in high school and I'll be graduating in late May. I'm planning on attending university in fall, but I have absolutely no clue what I want to major in or what career I'd like to pursue. Honestly, it's a little frustrating because it seems like all of my peers around me know exactly what they want to do and how they're going to do it while I'm kind of floating around ideas and just going with the flow. I know I'm young and I don't have to know exactly what I want to do yet, but I still feel like I'm falling behind and I think I'd feel a lot more secure if I knew what I wanted to do in life.

I would say most people going in are in this boat, and most of those that think they have it figured out will change their path midway. 

As for finding your place, fill up on gen eds your first few semesters. See which type of class you're interested with most, and pursue a major in that. Alternatively, you don't need to pursue a major in a field that you potentially want to work with. I've known many med students who were not biochemistry majors. 

21 hours ago, Navv said:

I would say most people going in are in this boat, and most of those that think they have it figured out will change their path midway. 

As for finding your place, fill up on gen eds your first few semesters. See which type of class you're interested with most, and pursue a major in that. Alternatively, you don't need to pursue a major in a field that you potentially want to work with. I've known many med students who were not biochemistry majors. 

I'll keep this in mind, thanks!!