2018/19 NFL Season (the Buffalo Bills are worse than pizza with pineapple on it)

Life

I'm actually excited this year. Staying up to watch it.

Want to see what the Bills do. Most obvious idea is to try to trade up to 2 and take Josh Rosen (or Darnold if the Browns actually fuck this one up like usual) but who knows?

Also, post your favourite team so I can make a list of fans, even if we both know who you support.

User:               Team:
Life                Buffalo Bills
Hylian Air Force    Tennesse Titans
-Cynthia-           Jacksonville Jaguars
CA Valkyrie         Oakland Raiders
Anacybele           Pittsburgh Steelers
Lord Raven          Baltimore Ravens
Jhedin              Detroit Lions
Slumber             Minnesota Vikings
Integrity           Minnesota Vikings
Edited by Life

• Replies 556
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Raiders all the way! JUST WIN BABY!

We're pretty solid on the line and secondary, but really need some LB's.  Roquan Smith from UGA is a great guy for us to get.  Though I am hearing Gruden might trade down to acquire more draft capital and get a tackle at Round 1 instead.  Anything can happen.

Year after year the draft teaches us one important thing . . .

We really don't know sh*t

22 minutes ago, Hylian Air Force said:

Poor Baker Mayfield. Another player just slaughtered like a cow in the Factory of Sadness.

Can I +1 this?

The Cleveland Browns just Cleveland Brown'd the draft yet again.

Steelers fan here. I'd say they should pick up a QB and some secondary guys. Ben's on his way out and they let go a few of our safeties and CBs. Though they also signed a secondary guy or two.

Though if they also can't get Bell to sign his damn paper, getting an RB might not be a bad idea either. James Conner is promising, but you can't easily replace a fantastic dude like Bell. I'd hate to lose one of our famous Killer B's right now though.

Edited by Anacybele

Wow! Didn't see Chubb dropping down to 5 for Denver.  Really thought the Browns would've got him at 4.  Chubb is a beast, and I hate the fact that I have to see him and Von Miller twice a year now. UGH.

Trade to 7th and... Josh Allen.

Huh.

I wanted Rosen. But OK, we're still rebuilding and not supposed to make the playoffs this year anyway.

EDIT: Trade up for 16th with the Ravens and picked up Tremaine Edmunds. Kid is a MONSTER. This defense is going to fun for the next few years.

Edited by Life

A number of Steelers fans wanted that Jackson guy too and are mad. lol

But I'm cool with a safety since as I said, the team let go of a few secondary guys. I don't know who Terrell Edmunds is, but so long as he's good, it doesn't matter. :P

Edited by Anacybele

I would've preferred a corner in the 1st Round, but the Raiders taking Kolton Miller is an okay pick (maybe a B or B-).  Added protection for you're $25M QB at a rookie rate is never a bad thing. 

Really thought Lamar Jackson would've went to the Pats who had 2 chanced in the 1st Round to get him.  It seemed like the best place for him to learn and develop as an understudy to Tom Brady.  But the Ravens might actually be the best place for him since their OC has a track record of developing dual threat QB's.

I'm not too enthused about a dual threat QB, but maybe I'm just way too attached to Flacco. I hope Flacco sticks his middle finger up to the whole league in 2018 with the help we got him.

It explains why we signed RG3 and signed McNabb's QB Coach. I bet they're hoping Lamar Jackson ends up like a much more pissed off McNabb, because Jackson was pissed.

After reading some articles on him, it looks like he's developed well between his seasons and the mental part of his game exponentially increased between years. I am rooting for him to keep up the momentum, but Joe Flacco's still my second favorite NFL player ever :(

Also, I just noticed that the Ravens have 17m in cap space. Holy fuck, Dez really didn't want to play for us.

oh, life, ravens fan (yah i mean duh but)

Edited by Lord Raven

10 hours ago, Lord Raven said:

I'm not too enthused about a dual threat QB, but maybe I'm just way too attached to Flacco. I hope Flacco sticks his middle finger up to the whole league in 2018 with the help we got him.

Yeah, I know what you mean, I'm super attached to Big Ben, of course. It's always gonna be sad to see guys like them retire. And it's not far off for either one, possibly, since Ben is 36 and Flacco is 33. But we have to brace ourselves, because they will retire eventually.

Edited by Anacybele

I’m kinda surprised that we spent our picks on a tackle and a running back despite our defensive woes, but I can’t be too disappointed I guess. This was another year I wasn’t too invested in the players pre-draft.

I’m friends with a Ravens fan and he was absolutely livid that not only they traded down (and eventually up), but instead of picking Calvin Ridley the Ravens took a TE of all things. I found the choice kind of odd myself, but quality tight ends are hard to come across these days.

Ooh, now we got a QB! Mason Rudolph! He was actually mentioned in tweets shown not long ago in the livestream, by a Steelers fan and a Pats fan.

lol sorry to that Pats fan, he's ours! He sounds like Big Ben 2.0 too, he could be a stud for us!

We also got a WR. Not sure if we really needed that right now, but if he's good and can fill in well for Bryant who got traded away to the Raiders, I'm cool.

We got another linebacker. My dad thinks we need a better offensive line, but I think that Mike Vrabel being a former Patriot and effective OC before becoming Head for the Titans means that the line will become more effective.

7 hours ago, SilvertheShadow said:

I’m friends with a Ravens fan and he was absolutely livid that not only they traded down (and eventually up), but instead of picking Calvin Ridley the Ravens took a TE of all things. I found the choice kind of odd myself, but quality tight ends are hard to come across these days.

I didn't. It was a need based draft. Dude can block and catch and run routes with the best of them even if he's raw. He's pretty much pro ready athletically and skills wise.

We have 2 quality WRs (Crabtree and Brown), a solid third WR (Snead), good depth (Moore), Breshad Perriman, and whoever else we draft or go after. Dez Bryant/Eric Decker/etc are still free agents even if Bryant rejected our offer, and we have 17m in cap space before the draft.

Also, our current Tight Ends have talent but they have issues. Boyle's dealt with suspensions and he's primarily a blocker with limited receiving ability. Gillmore (who is actually gone) and Maxx Williams injury issues issues. Ben Watson went back to the Saints. My two Madden franchise TEs don't even exist in real life. Hayden Hurst came out a much better prospect than Crockett Gillmore and Nick Boyle. The pick is fine and I really love it, and hopefully Lamar Jackson can throw to him for 15 years.

Edited by Lord Raven

Rebuilding a team starts with the line, and then working your way out.  Raiders seem to be taking this to heart.

Solid day so far.  Not sure about getting another OT (Brandon Parker from an FCS school) since we still need some corners. But with Penn getting up there in years I get the need to add depth, especially adding cheaper options to counter some of our heftier contracts (we were the most expensive OL group last season).  And in Tom Cable, we have one of the best OL coaches in the game so hopefully he can get the best out of Parker.

PJ Hall was a solid pick that can bolster our interior. Arden Key from LSU was a steal and gives potential for a deadly bookend combo with Khalil Sack (no typo :P).  He's a first round talent with off the field issues.  As a third round pick it's well worth the risk.

And our last pick of the day is...a left tackle whose name is too crazy for me to ever remember. lol

Not sure if we really needed anything on the o-line, but we did kinda have an injury or two there over the last couple years, so maybe it wasn't the worst idea to take one. I just hope we get some CBs and LBs in the last few rounds. Shazier might not come back, and we're going to need to fill that void. It was awesome seeing him WALK onto the stage and announce the first round pick though! He made so much progress, even if his walking isn't quite 100% yet.

Edited by Anacybele

57 minutes ago, CA Valkyrie said:

Rebuilding a team starts with the line, and then working your way out.  Raiders seem to be taking this to heart.

Didn't they already have a good line? I just remember they threw a ton of money at Kelechi Osemele a few years ago and Derek Carr was having a really good season when they added him.

Anyway we got T Orlando Brown Jr. (so we've shored up both tackles now, although I thought Hurst was doing well on the right side and Stanley was doing well on the left) and TE Mark Andrews. I've heard OBJ was pretty good on tape despite his bad combine, and Mark Andrews I know nothing about but we definitely need more TEs. This is the first time in a long ass time I've seen us do this much shit for offense in the draft. It's actually really foreign to me.

32 minutes ago, Lord Raven said:

Didn't they already have a good line? I just remember they threw a ton of money at Kelechi Osemele a few years ago and Derek Carr was having a really good season when they added him.

We're light on tackles.  Well we lost Newhouse to the Bills, Donald Penn is 35 and having ended last season on IR, and our remaining guys are still you developmental projects drafted in the late rounds of 2016/17.  This is why I like Tom Cable coming back to Oakland to coach up the young OL's.  He'll get the most out of them.  But I still think our first 3rd rounder should've been used on a corner instead of a second tackle.  I like our guards, Jackson and Osemele, though I honestly thought we kinda overpaid for Osemele when we got him (pretty much paid the price of a left tackle). 

Honestly, our line really under-performed last season.  Our rushing attack averaged less than 100 yds/game with a backfield that included Beast Mode and the speedy Jalen Richard.  And Carr didn't look as comfortable throwing in the pocket in 2017 compared to 2016.  At a time when he was coming off a major injury and needing great protection even more, the line didn't perform up to their pay-grades.  To be fair, neither did Carr.  That's what happens: players' production tends to drop after they land a huge contract.

53 minutes ago, CA Valkyrie said:

This is why I like Tom Cable coming back to Oakland to coach up the young OL's.

Tom Cable was Seattle's OL coach for Wilson's entire career so far, more or less.

Russell Wilson is literally the only player in the league that could function behind that line. He was their leading rusher in 2017.

I wouldn't get my hopes up.

53 minutes ago, CA Valkyrie said:

To be fair, neither did Carr.  That's what happens: players' production tends to drop after they land a huge contract.

Jack Del Rio isn't really a good coach. Didn't he get injured a few times? I remember you guys lost to the Cowboys when he tried to make a heroic play. Also, I remember in 2016 (whichever year Oakland was good but they lost Carr for the playoffs) the Raiders won a ton of extremely close one-score games, and that kind of model isn't sustainable.

This year, the trend went the opposite way or settled to a more reasonable mean, because the 2016 Raiders had a Pythagorean expectation of 8.7 due to their +31 PD so they outperformed by roughly 3-4 wins.

There's also a ton of evidence going against this point. There's a few duds here and there, and in a lot of cases they get new contracts for new teams and those players might not necessarily be a good scheme fit. In Carr's case, well, his #1 receiver got a case of the drops, Jack Del Rio is a dud, and in all honesty the entire AFC was super ass this year.

Edited by Lord Raven

16 hours ago, Lord Raven said:

Tom Cable was Seattle's OL coach for Wilson's entire career so far, more or less.

Russell Wilson is literally the only player in the league that could function behind that line. He was their leading rusher in 2017.

I wouldn't get my hopes up.

Wilson had a decent line in his early years in Seattle that featured Russell Okung, Max Unger, James Carpenter, and Justin Britt; not to mention having Beast Mode in the backfield.  Up until 2015 or so the Seahawks ranked top 10 in rushing, and Wilson was completing over 63% of his passes at over 8 yds/attempt.

Last two years were rough but I wouldn't blame it all on Cable.  Having locked up Wilson and much of the Legion of Boom to long term deals meant there was no money left for guys like Okung, Unger, and Sweezy.  He was left with a rag tag group that included George Fant, a former college basket player.  His strength as a coach lies in developing raw talent and guys with little experience as offensive linemen.  JR Sweezy was a DL in college who became a solid guard , and even Fant became a decent tackle given the circumstances. 

17 hours ago, Lord Raven said:

There's also a ton of evidence going against this point.

Players who sign $100M+ deals don't become terrible by any means, but they rarely get back to the level of play that earned them that contract in the first place: case in point Joe Flacco. Jury's still out on dudes like Stafford, Wilson, and my boy Carr (who I really hope proves me wrong).

And give Del Rio some respect.  He helped win you guys a ring in 2001 as the Ravens' LB coach.