2018/19 NFL Season (the Buffalo Bills are worse than pizza with pineapple on it)

Life

Well, that's not what I was getting at. Average nfl career is short and average player lifetime is like 55 years old. Let them chase that money 

• Replies 556
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I like when people say "We should do this thing to people" and not think about what comes after one tries to implement said thing. I know it was a hypothetical, but as long as the player union exists, there's not going to be player salary earning caps. 

i think we should give every play 20m/year but that doesnt mean we will or that its even feasible

the CBA could definitely argue salary caps for players, but people will push back on it. it actually benefits more positions

Lord Raven, Dick LeBeau was a player. He's in his 70s.

I think Franco Harris is in his 60s at least. He's the famous Immaculate Reception guy.

Technology for healthcare has gone forward quite a bit too, with more treatments and such coming all the time, which naturally leads to longer lifespans.

You sure 55 is the average for NFL players?

11 hours ago, Anacybele said:

You sure 55 is the average for NFL players?

A few sources:

https://www.seattlepi.com/news/article/New-NFL-goal-A-longer-life-1272886.php

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Football_player#Life_expectancy

We don't hear about as many of these players that are suffering as the ones that are successful, because the NFL doesn't want to promote the dreadful news. The positions that suffer the most are linemen in particular, but then you have people like Junior Seau who commit suicide because of their mental health issues that they likely obtained from the NFL.

If nothing else, many NFL players feel debilitated. Brett Favre, for instance, talks pretty often about how he would never let any of his children play football and how he doesn't remember like half of his career. It's actually really scary. The people who are healthy at 65+ are more of an anomaly overall.

30 minutes ago, Lord Raven said:

A few sources:

We don't hear about as many of these players that are suffering as the ones that are successful, because the NFL doesn't want to promote the dreadful news. The positions that suffer the most are linemen in particular, but then you have people like Junior Seau who commit suicide because of their mental health issues that they likely obtained from the NFL.

If nothing else, many NFL players feel debilitated. Brett Favre, for instance, talks pretty often about how he would never let any of his children play football and how he doesn't remember like half of his career. It's actually really scary. The people who are healthy at 65+ are more of an anomaly overall.

Hmm. I see. That is scary then, and it'd definitely be nice if more was done about it.

On 5/2/2018 at 5:14 PM, Hylian Air Force said:

If only I were so confident about AFCS. All 4 teams are inconsistent, and one of them is younger than my younger sister by more than a year. The only real contender in it, besides my Titans bias, is Jacksonville, who caused a major AFC upset, and almost caused another one.

I think the Texans do have some solid reasons to expect a return to relevance with Watson and their defensive starters coming back+ some good additions in the secondary. They have a lot of questions though- is Watson as good as he looked in that 6 game stretch, will JJ Watt be able to return to top performance after so many injuries, will their O-line hold up etc. I don't think the Colts will be very good even if Luck comes back 100%, I just don't think they have the roster pieces right now.

Not a position for the Jaguars I'm used to- on paper we're a top contender with pretty much the same team from last year. Some overall improvements on offense while only losing some rotational players on defense. Nothing is certain, but Pythagorean wins(11.9) suggest the Jags were not a flash in the pan. We had good injury luck on defense last year though.

6 hours ago, Lord Raven said:

Now that I think about it, I think boxers have a higher life expectancy, and they literally live to get punched in the head.

As far as contact sports go, I'd put money on the only sport coming close to football for life expectancy being professional wrestling... which should probably have raised a lot of red flags a lot sooner. Now I just wonder how young XFL players will be dropping. They'd be lucky to make it to their 40s.

Edited by Slumber

2 hours ago, Slumber said:

Now I just wonder how young XFL players will be dropping.

My theory is that the XFL will be the same as the NFL and it will be the first true competitor the NFL has had since the 60s. The XFL starts not long before the expiration of the current CBA.

On ‎5‎/‎7‎/‎2018 at 7:49 PM, Lord Raven said:

A few sources:

I know what you're talking about because as a Bills fan, Darryl Talley's name is seared into my mind (Seau and MacNair are also up there but you mentioned Seau). That man threw his body at receivers and QBs for years and when it turned out that his brain was damaged beyond repair, the NFL tried to bury his name and just about succeeded.

Edited by Life

@Life Steve McNair was killed by his mistress, unless you're talking about someone else.

Junior Seau was by far the most harrowing one. Aaron Hernandez also had massive MASSIVE CTE before he killed himself, and Aaron Hernandez was in the NFL for only 3 years before his arrest.

Edited by Lord Raven

On 5/7/2018 at 8:50 PM, Lord Raven said:

My theory is that the XFL will be the same as the NFL and it will be the first true competitor the NFL has had since the 60s. The XFL starts not long before the expiration of the current CBA.

Isn't Vince's selling point of the XFL being a football league with fewer rules, regulations and less stopping? Basically whatever will get the most sacks/minute. 

I'm not sure it will be the same as the NFL. 

17 minutes ago, Slumber said:

Isn't Vince's selling point of the XFL being a football league with fewer rules, regulations and less stopping? Basically whatever will get the most sacks/minute. 

I'm not sure it will be the same as the NFL. 

There's no way he will be able to get away with that in the modern age. They will probably do some things to make it more exciting, but in all honesty they will probably be willing to shell out loads of cash and a player-friendly CBA.

The players will likely ask for stricter rules for contact, if anything else. I really predict that with the CBA expiring in 2020 and the start of the XFL in 2020 we will see something basically almost unprecedented. Even bigger than the AFL-NFL merger.

• 3 weeks later...

lol wow, Bruce Arians wanted to cut AB back when he was a rookie and thought he was nothing more than a practice squad player. Practice squad! (This was before Arians was dropped as our OC, btw)

No wonder AB doesn't like him. Yeah, sure as hell glad nobody listened to Arians then! Or that Arians was never completely in charge, for that matter. AB's been the best!

Edited by Anacybele

6 hours ago, Anacybele said:

lol wow, Bruce Arians wanted to cut AB back when he was a rookie and thought he was nothing more than a practice squad player. Practice squad! (This was before Arians was dropped as our OC, btw)

Yeah, but keep in mind that young Antonio Brown was actually raw and he had weaknesses to work on. There's a good reason he didn't go in the first few rounds. 31 teams passed on Tom Brady at least 5-6 times and 20ish teams passed on Joe Montana at least 2-3 times. I kinda don't fault the way people evaluate rookies because when humans are involved, there's uncertainty both ways (prospects don't know what the nfl will be like and the nfl doesn't know what the prospects will be like).

Also, Antonio Brown doesn't work with an Arians offense oddly enough. Arians has his QBs throw deep and his WRs go deep all day every day, and Antonio Brown is a 5'11" technician among a group of 6'1" and 6'2" burners. Switching to Haley's offense was probably one of the best things they could've done for Antonio Brown.

5 minutes ago, Lord Raven said:

Yeah, but keep in mind that young Antonio Brown was actually raw and he had weaknesses to work on. There's a good reason he didn't go in the first few rounds. 31 teams passed on Tom Brady at least 5-6 times and 20ish teams passed on Joe Montana at least 2-3 times. I kinda don't fault the way people evaluate rookies because when humans are involved, there's uncertainty both ways (prospects don't know what the nfl will be like and the nfl doesn't know what the prospects will be like).

Also, Antonio Brown doesn't work with an Arians offense oddly enough. Arians has his QBs throw deep and his WRs go deep all day every day, and Antonio Brown is a 5'11" technician among a group of 6'1" and 6'2" burners. Switching to Haley's offense was probably one of the best things they could've done for Antonio Brown.

Yeah, but even then he still showed promise and matched one or more of the other guys in some things in the preseason when he was a rookie. And during his rookie year he got some snaps and made some things happen. Remember that helmet catch down the sideline in the playoffs? That was sick.

AB back then had things to work on as do pretty much all rookies, but he didn't need to be cut even then imo. And this is coming from someone that was unsure about him taking over the no. 1 WR spot for us when Hines Ward retired.

Also, dude, you don't watch AB enough if you think he can't go deep. He's caught his share of deep balls! Though admittedly, it also helped that Ben is good at throwing those.

Edited by Anacybele

Just now, Anacybele said:

AB back then had things to work on as do pretty much all rookies, but he didn't need to be cut even then imo. And this is coming from someone that was unsure about him taking over the no. 1 WR spot for us when Hines Ward retired.

Well, something to keep in mind is that the 2010 corps were like Wallace/Ward/Sanders and being stuck at #4 behind them is definitely not the worst thing. The Steelers tend to carry 5 WRs and Antonio Brown was anywhere from an unknown quantity to a raw rookie with flashes.

It's really easy to look at these things in retrospect but Antonio Brown was not actually seen as much of a superstar around the league until around 2014. 

Just now, Lord Raven said:

Well, something to keep in mind is that the 2010 corps were like Wallace/Ward/Sanders and being stuck at #4 behind them is definitely not the worst thing. The Steelers tend to carry 5 WRs and Antonio Brown was anywhere from an unknown quantity to a raw rookie with flashes.

It's really easy to look at these things in retrospect but Antonio Brown was not actually seen as much of a superstar around the league until around 2014. 

Yeah, I know.

Yes, I'm aware of that latter statement too. It's because Hines Ward remained our no. 1 until he retired and then after that, AB got the spotlight.

• 1 month later...

Kinda bringing this back because of two things!

Are we gonna be the first and/or only NFL team to get a theme park area? :O This looks incredible! :D I came up with this idea first though! lol I made a coaster called Steel Curtain in Roller Coaster Tycoon 3 some time ago. XD It was black and gold and metal too!

Second, THE NEW MADDEN NFL COVER.

My favorite player is on it. :D YEAH AB!

Edited by Anacybele

lol a theme park at an NFL stadium seems so... extra

Training camp has opened tho, thank goodness. The hole in my heart will soon be filled again with betting spreads, fantasy hi-jinks, and another deep playoff run for the Patriots

It's not at the stadium, it's at Kennywood, way on the other side of the Pittsburgh area. lol Heinz Field is located just across the Allegheny River from downtown and Kennywood is in West Mifflin along the southeastern stretch of the Monongahela River.

But hey, Pittsburgh loves their sports teams, especially the Steelers, and Kennywood's had a few Pittsburgh sports-themed stuff there before, if just little things, so yeah. XD

On another note though, sad Bell and the Steelers still couldn't reach a deal. But Bell himself said they were getting closer, so next spring/summer will hopefully have him sign that damn paper already.

I hope not, it would leave a huge hole in our offense. It's as good as it is because of our deep WR group, Big Ben being Big Ben, and Bell being the best RB. We don't have depth at RB. We just have scrubs named James Conner and that Ridley guy who are unproven. Conner has potential, but he hasn't seen much action. So without Bell, we don't have a proven starting RB.

Though if Bell DOES leave, I just hope he doesn't go to another AFCN team or the Patriots. Best case scenario for me, he goes to the Panthers.

Hold on, Ridley is proven... a proven bum/chronic fumbler. And I think any team flush with cap space could bring in Bell. Also, he would never end up with the Patriots, so no need to worry there. Maybe the Jets or Browns?