2018/19 NFL Season (the Buffalo Bills are worse than pizza with pineapple on it)

Life

I hope you guys are enjoying my weekly hot-takes on the topic title (but if y'all got any better hot takes in the future, share 'em).

• Replies 556
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

59 minutes ago, Lord Raven said:

put "Is Flacco elite?" afterwards too bc of that primetime asswhooping on the Steelers

That was hardly an asswhooping. It wasn't even close to being an actual blowout. You only scored two TDs, both of which were only in the first quarter and one came off a turnover in our own end. Our D held you to just FGs afterward, our offense just didn't do what they were supposed to do.

I don't know what's with this team. Against the Chiefs it was the defense's fault we lost, now against the Ravens it was the offense's fault. Is this team just wildly inconsistent or something? I still think we probably need to sell the team to owners who are more willing to fire coaches and then fire at least Tomlin and coordinators. Things like consistency and the absurd amount of penalties are due to bad coaching.

Edited by Anacybele

25 minutes ago, Anacybele said:

That was hardly an asswhooping. It wasn't even close to being an actual blowout. You only scored two TDs, both of which were only in the first quarter and one came off a turnover in our own end. Our D held you to just FGs afterward, our offense just didn't do what they were supposed to do.

I don't know what's with this team. Against the Chiefs it was the defense's fault we lost, now against the Ravens it was the offense's fault. Is this team just wildly inconsistent or something? I still think we probably need to sell the team to owners who are more willing to fire coaches and then fire at least Tomlin and coordinators. Things like consistency and the absurd amount of penalties are due to bad coaching.

Steelers finally looking like they won't be 1st in their division and Ana now wants new owners, never mind new everything.

Get used to losing, girl. It sucks.

6 hours ago, Anacybele said:

Ana, you probably shouldn't ask for a mass firing of major roles after many seasons of success with similar coaches because of a 1-2-1 start for one season all of a sudden. Chill your boots. Making general assumptions with no concrete base to go off of does not diagnose a problem correctly. Need I remind you that in the 2013 season, we went 8-4 after a 0-4 start? That's not too bad, considering how bad we tumbled out of the starting gate (worse than this year, even) and that didn't stop Tomlin from bringing us to the playoffs consistently after that.

Wait and see if this losing reputation sticks, THEN we can start talking about new coaches. But for now, no way.

personally, i'm stoked we haven't allowed a td in the second half all season. we're about to get back our best interior pass rusher and best cornerback/defensive MVP next week. and our starting tight end.

positions we're already fucking deep at. ozzie has done one hell of a job with this roster.

10 hours ago, Life said:

Steelers finally looking like they won't be 1st in their division and Ana now wants new owners, never mind new everything.

Get used to losing, girl. It sucks.

You're twisting my words. My opinion isn't solely due to just this season, which I'll explain below in my quoting of NoirCore.

4 hours ago, NoirCore said:

Ana, you probably shouldn't ask for a mass firing of major roles after many seasons of success with similar coaches because of a 1-2-1 start for one season all of a sudden. Chill your boots. Making general assumptions with no concrete base to go off of does not diagnose a problem correctly. Need I remind you that in the 2013 season, we went 8-4 after a 0-4 start? That's not too bad, considering how bad we tumbled out of the starting gate (worse than this year, even) and that didn't stop Tomlin from bringing us to the playoffs consistently after that.

Wait and see if this losing reputation sticks, THEN we can start talking about new coaches. But for now, no way.

Except not just this season, but in a few recent seasons as well, we've seen big problems that have to be due to coaching and yet the Rooneys have yet to fire any. Not renewing Todd Haley was a start, but it hasn't been enough.

I'm tired of this team taking so many penalties in just about every game. That's lack of discipline which is on coaching. This has happened in recent seasons as well, not just this one. The defense has sucked for several years. It was getting somewhere before Shazier went down, which is no one's fault (but his own, technically), but one player should a not a defense make.

Some of the playcalling over the past few seasons has been bad too, on both sides of the ball. Also down to coaching. I'm not sure Keith Butler or Randy Fichtner are cut out for these. Butler in particular since he's had a few seasons to get into the role of DC. Fichtner could probably be given another year to improve.

And I haven't mentioned the issues of playing down to the competition and having bad starts. Bad starts happened a lot in previous seasons too, not just this one, as did playing down to the competition. These are all due to lack of preparation, which is again, on coaching.

So as I said, our coaching sucks, and the Rooneys suck because they refuse to fire any.

1 minute ago, Hylian Air Force said:

@Anacybele Meanwhile the Titans have the opposite problem of changing coaches every few years, also because of an incompetent front office. Trust me when I say you don't want a revolving door coaching staff, Ana.

I never said I wanted coaches fired THAT often. Tomlin's had a dozen years to prove himself and while he did get a Super Bowl, it was with Cowher's team, not his own. Butler's had at least four years or so.

tomlin isn't doing a bad job. you don't fire a head coach because they don't win superbowls. jeff fisher has an almost 0.5 record with the titans and he was head coach longer than tomlin has been. tomlin has never even had a losing record with the steelers.

Edited by Phoenix Wright

1 hour ago, Anacybele said:

You're twisting my words. My opinion isn't solely due to just this season, which I'll explain below in my quoting of NoirCore.

Except not just this season, but in a few recent seasons as well, we've seen big problems that have to be due to coaching and yet the Rooneys have yet to fire any. Not renewing Todd Haley was a start, but it hasn't been enough.

I'm tired of this team taking so many penalties in just about every game. That's lack of discipline which is on coaching. This has happened in recent seasons as well, not just this one. The defense has sucked for several years. It was getting somewhere before Shazier went down, which is no one's fault (but his own, technically), but one player should a not a defense make.

Some of the playcalling over the past few seasons has been bad too, on both sides of the ball. Also down to coaching. I'm not sure Keith Butler or Randy Fichtner are cut out for these. Butler in particular since he's had a few seasons to get into the role of DC. Fichtner could probably be given another year to improve.

And I haven't mentioned the issues of playing down to the competition and having bad starts. Bad starts happened a lot in previous seasons too, not just this one, as did playing down to the competition. These are all due to lack of preparation, which is again, on coaching.

So as I said, our coaching sucks, and the Rooneys suck because they refuse to fire any.

And yet, so far, we have consistently made the playoffs for plenty of years and have so far never had a losing season under Tomlin. If we're doing this in spite of bad playcalling (which I'm not certain of since you don't compare us to all other teams) (and of the last 3 seasons, only 2016 was bad for penalties (we were on the edge of the top 10) because we were in the middle of the pack in 2017 and among the least penalized in 2015, so you're inaccurate on penalties for the most part), "playing down to the competition", or "bad preparation", then we must really be impressive these years for getting by on that. Not that I necessarily believe what you claim is easily blamed on the staff.

Again, wait until we have a truly bad season before we even think about talking about changing up the staff, and I mean think about. But you'll never convince me thanks to recent decent-great years of performance that the Rooneys are doing "bad"; that's super silly.

1 hour ago, NoirCore said:

And yet, so far, we have consistently made the playoffs for plenty of years and have so far never had a losing season under Tomlin. If we're doing this in spite of bad playcalling (which I'm not certain of since you don't compare us to all other teams) (and of the last 3 seasons, only 2016 was bad for penalties (we were on the edge of the top 10) because we were in the middle of the pack in 2017 and among the least penalized in 2015, so you're inaccurate on penalties for the most part), "playing down to the competition", or "bad preparation", then we must really be impressive these years for getting by on that. Not that I necessarily believe what you claim is easily blamed on the staff.

Again, wait until we have a truly bad season before we even think about talking about changing up the staff, and I mean think about. But you'll never convince me thanks to recent decent-great years of performance that the Rooneys are doing "bad"; that's super silly.

And yet so far, we've mostly been a one and done playoff team, we haven't won a SB in almost ten years, and we haven't won an AFC title game in almost eight. There's a reason people say Marvin Lewis is a bad coach too. Can't discipline his Bengals and can't win a playoff game despite going there many times.

Teams try to get to the SB and win, not just the playoffs.

Tomlin hasn't been the worst coach ever, no, but he hasn't been good enough.

8 hours ago, Anacybele said:

And yet so far, we've mostly been a one and done playoff team, we haven't won a SB in almost ten years, and we haven't won an AFC title game in almost eight. There's a reason people say Marvin Lewis is a bad coach too. Can't discipline his Bengals and can't win a playoff game despite going there many times.

...never mind that in two of the last three years, we've won at least one playoff game if not get to the AFC Championship game.

And yes, teams do get to the SB to win, but remember the beauty of sport: only one team out of many (in this case, 32) can win it. Even reduced to the number of teams in the playoffs, it's still many fighting for one. By your logic, many NFL teams need giant staff overhauls, and to be blunt, that's stupid. So what if you didn't win the SB? If you're making the playoffs, that's good enough that switching up your head coach is among the weirdest and silliest moves you can make.

From the sounds of things, Ana, you just have big expectations. Seems less like your accusations hold insight and more like you're making yourself allergic to losing instead of just taking your sigh of disappointment and moving on. Like @Life said, losing sucks. You just need to accept what you did accomplish and move on. Instead, you're blaming the coach like he's a wizard or something.

Funny; you were talking about how we used to be among the best not too long ago. Wonder what makes all those then-"meh" AFC teams that apparently were worse than a team coached by the guy you claim "hasn't been good enough". Should all those teams have fired their coaches, too?

18 minutes ago, NoirCore said:

...never mind that in two of the last three years, we've won at least one playoff game if not get to the AFC Championship game.

And yes, teams do get to the SB to win, but remember the beauty of sport: only one team out of many (in this case, 32) can win it. Even reduced to the number of teams in the playoffs, it's still many fighting for one. By your logic, many NFL teams need giant staff overhauls, and to be blunt, that's stupid. So what if you didn't win the SB? If you're making the playoffs, that's good enough that switching up your head coach is among the weirdest and silliest moves you can make.

From the sounds of things, Ana, you just have big expectations. Seems less like your accusations hold insight and more like you're making yourself allergic to losing instead of just taking your sigh of disappointment and moving on. Like @Life said, losing sucks. You just need to accept what you did accomplish and move on. Instead, you're blaming the coach like he's a wizard or something.

Funny; you were talking about how we used to be among the best not too long ago. Wonder what makes all those then-"meh" AFC teams that apparently were worse than a team coached by the guy you claim "hasn't been good enough". Should all those teams have fired their coaches, too?

And that was the first AFC title game we'd gotten to in years and the team blew it big time in that game. And yeah, ONE playoff game a couple times in like ten years.

Of course I get all that. But the problem is, like I said, getting to the playoffs constantly and not getting anymore results than that. I'd have been happy with just one SB win in the last few years. Just one. Not saying we have to win every year.

Losing does suck. But I don't get super upset at every loss. That'd be silly. I just get upset at seeing constant losing.

No, because I don't know if those teams have coaching issues or not. I just worry about the Steelers (and to a slightly lesser extent, the Panthers).

11 hours ago, Anacybele said:

Oh, boo hoo.

Before December 31st 2017, the last time I had seen the Bills play a game in the post season was the '99/'00 season. That was 17 years. I had been 8 years old and I didn't get to experience it again until I was 26. And to add insult to injury, that last game had been the Tragedy in Tennessee (also known as the Music City Miracle).

Between those two dates, the Pittsburgh Steelers are 15-9 (excluding this last postseason since it happened after the drought was broken) in the post-season alone.

So cry me a river about how bad your team is. I would switch places with you in a heartbeat if I could.

Edited by Life

1 hour ago, Anacybele said:

And that was the first AFC title game we'd gotten to in years and the team blew it big time in that game. And yeah, ONE playoff game a couple times in like ten years.

Of course I get all that. But the problem is, like I said, getting to the playoffs constantly and not getting anymore results than that. I'd have been happy with just one SB win in the last few years. Just one. Not saying we have to win every year.

Losing does suck. But I don't get super upset at every loss. That'd be silly. I just get upset at seeing constant losing.

No, because I don't know if those teams have coaching issues or not. I just worry about the Steelers (and to a slightly lesser extent, the Panthers).

If you're asking for a firing after winning one playoff game, you're overreacting. And it's been EIGHT playoff wins in the last TEN years. THREE in the last THREE years.

And here you're proving my point: high expectations. Everyone wants a SB win. We have gotten 2 in the span of 5 years post-2000 and we hold the largest number of SB titles out of any NFL team, not including NFL Championships before the merger. You say "just one", but that's a BIG one you're asking for, and wanting the coach fired for not winning a SB recently is crazy. It's nice to win a SB, but god damn, Ana, you're too hungry for championships.

And we have two losses under our belt four games in the season. That counts as "constant"? And if it's constant "not going too far into the playoffs" you meant instead, then, yeah, you're definitely taking it too hard.

1 minute ago, Life said:

Oh, boo hoo.

Before December 31st 2017, the last time I had seen the Bills play a game in the post season was the '99/'00 season. That was 17 years. I had been 8 years old and I didn't get to experience it again until I was 26.

Between those two dates, the Pittsburgh Steelers are 15-9 (excluding this last postseason since it happened after the drought was broken) in the post-season alone.

So cry me a river about how bad your team is. I would switch places with you in a heartbeat if I could.

Okay. What's your point? I'm still allowed to be disappointed in my own team.

Just now, Anacybele said:

And we're allowed to judge your morals as to why you are disappointed.

2 minutes ago, NoirCore said:

And we're allowed to judge your morals as to why you are disappointed.

So you're allowed to pick on me simply because I have an opinion that you disagree with? Sorry, but no. I don't care what you think anyway though. It isn't like I'm changing my mind.

13 minutes ago, Anacybele said:

My point is that you are over-reacting to every single loss, no matter how much you claim to not be.

You said above that teams try to get to and win the Superbowl, not just playoffs? That's not true. Because some teams (like mine) don't get to go to the playoffs. And when I see you whine and bitch about how you want everyone fired because you haven't had a Lombardi trophy win in 10 years, it shows how underappreciative you are about how good the infrastructure in your team actually is.

Miss the playoffs three years running and then we can have a conversation where I'll take you seriously if you suggest coach and GM changeover. Until then, I find your attitude unbelievable.

tl;dr You don't appreciate what you actually have in Pittsburgh.

Edited by Life

9 minutes ago, Anacybele said:

So you're allowed to pick on me simply because I have an opinion that you disagree with? Sorry, but no. I don't care what you think anyway though. It isn't like I'm changing my mind.

Twisting my words, Ana. Just like you complained about to Life.

I (and anyone else) am allowed to judge you for your reasons as to why you are disappointed. You say I'm picking on you like I'm trying to get enjoyment out of contradicting you, but you are only playing the victim card here by twisting it as such. We are debating, and your reasoning as to why you want the Steelers staff fired makes you come off spoiled.

You are allowed to feel the way you do, but if the reason why you feel the way you do is considered morally wrong, then there are problems.

You know I'm a Steelers fan like you. Yet here I am, not raising a ruckus over not winning a SB recently.

Edited by NoirCore

2 minutes ago, NoirCore said:

Twisting my words, Ana. Just like you complained about to Life.

I (and anyone else) am allowed to judge you for your reasons as to why you are disappointed. You say I'm picking on you like I'm trying to get enjoyment out of contradicting you, but you are only playing the victim card here by twisting it as such. We are debating, and your reasoning as to why you want the Steelers staff fired makes you come off spoiled.

You are allowed to feel the way you do, but if the reason why you feel the way you do is considered morally wrong, then there are problems.

This.

The next time you feel disappointed in your team, think this: What would a Bills/Jets/Vikings/Chiefs/Browns/Lions fan say? You know, fanbases that don't get to win any championships and deal with heartbreak more often than the Steelers just simply lose?

You say "just one Superbowl in the last five years". I used to say "just one post-season birth" until last year... and I had been saying that for nearly two decades. I know what turnover looks like. You don't want to know what it looks like and watching you call for it because you're not the single most dominant team in the conference is entirely spoiled. And I will call you out for it when I see it.

18 minutes ago, NoirCore said:

You know I'm a Steelers fan like you. Yet here I am, not raising a ruckus over not winning a SB recently.

It's not "morally wrong" just because you disagree with it.

I'm not mad because we're not winning a SB. I'm mad because this team keeps getting worse because of the coaching.

Don't give me that bullshit, Life. You're allowed to be disappointed about your own team if you want. Just because you're worse off doesn't mean someone else can't be upset about how their team's doing. Would you say someone who had their favorite video game stolen shouldn't be upset simply because someone else lost their whole house in the recent hurricane? No, because that makes no sense. One is worse off, but both are allowed to be upset. It doesn't make either side wrong.

Edited by Anacybele

4 minutes ago, Anacybele said:

Don't give me that bullshit, Life. You're allowed to be disappointed about your own team if you want. Just because you're worse off doesn't mean someone else can't be upset about how their team's doing. Would you say someone who had their favorite video game stolen shouldn't be upset simply because someone else lost their whole house in the recent hurricane? No, because that makes no sense. One is worse off, but both are allowed to be upset. It doesn't make either side wrong.

You are unappreciative of how good the Steelers are.

Your analogy sucks.

Edited by Life