2018/19 NFL Season (the Buffalo Bills are worse than pizza with pineapple on it)

Life

• Replies 556
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

TOMORROW'S CHRISTMAS EVE!

Okay, now that I'm done referencing a tradition regarding a certain YouTuber, looks like the Steelers have their hands full getting into the playoffs. The Ravens won, have Cleveland next, and the Titans look dandy, so Pittsburgh is likely gonna have to beat the Saints and keep trucking high through the Bengals to get in the playoffs if help doesn't pull through. Only solace is that the Saints haven't scored much recently, but the Steelers' performance seems to be random from each game; what team will we get today, and next week for that matter?

The AFC playoff picture is insane, and everyone's gonna be fighting tooth and nail to get in.

5 hours ago, NoirCore said:

TOMORROW'S CHRISTMAS EVE!

Okay, now that I'm done referencing a tradition regarding a certain YouTuber, looks like the Steelers have their hands full getting into the playoffs. The Ravens won, have Cleveland next, and the Titans look dandy, so Pittsburgh is likely gonna have to beat the Saints and keep trucking high through the Bengals to get in the playoffs if help doesn't pull through. Only solace is that the Saints haven't scored much recently, but the Steelers' performance seems to be random from each game; what team will we get today, and next week for that matter?

The AFC playoff picture is insane, and everyone's gonna be fighting tooth and nail to get in.

Yeah, we don't have it easy right now. :/

Steelers had no business losing to the Broncos, Chargers, and Raiders. Especially that last one. We wouldn't be in this situation if it wasn't for that. >_>

Did the Saints pay the refs a shitload of money or something? I hate to rant/complain, but this game is a JOKE!

PI on Haden? There was near zero contact.

Burnett knocked the ball out of a guy's hands after a catch and the guy had taken a couple steps. You'd think that'd be ruled a fumble, right? Nope, refs call it incomplete. Clear as day to me that that was a fumble. Why Tomlin didn't challenge it though, I don't know. Maybe he was afraid of the refs stripping him of a timeout. Wouldn't blame him.

A second PI on Burnett. Near zero contact again, though there was SLIGHTLY more than what Haden had.

Anyone else seeing this BS too? @NoirCore?

Edited by Anacybele

I'm surprised we're still in this game at all. It's difficult to play when both the refs and a very good team are against you. D had no reason to allow that FG at the end of the half though.

Edited by Anacybele

WE'RE LEADING NOW OMG. WE JUST MIGHT BEAT THE SAINTS AND REFS.

EDIT: Also, AB is such a god.

EDIT2: BLOCKED FIELD GOAL OMG YES! WE'RE STILL LEADING. Come on Big Ben and crew, gotta extend that lead!

EDIT3: ...Wow. How the fuck do you fumble at that moment like that and throw away our whole fucking season? Juju should be cut for that.

Edited by Anacybele

Welp.

A really hard-fought game, but we lost. GG, Saints. I'm surprised we kept it close; alas, butterfingers have betrayed us.

Looks like we're gonna have to rely on Cleveland's help to get in and continue our division winning streak. If not, well, the Ravens have a nice comeback story after being behind in the standings, and them's the breaks in the crazy world of football. I'll just look forward to baseball, no biggie. :P

2 hours ago, Lord Raven said:

Ayyy go saints 

I'm happy for you. :P

4 minutes ago, NoirCore said:

A really hard-fought game, but we lost. GG, Saints. I'm surprised we kept it close; alas, Juju and the refs have betrayed us.

Fixed that for you. We wouldn't have had such a close game if the refs hadn't basically gifted the Saints 14-21 points, especially that late TD. Ball should've been turned over on downs. Very very soft PI call on Haden. There was basically no contact. Again. Juju had no business coughing up that fumble either.

I'm happy for you. :P

Why? Ravens are our rival. We shouldn't be happy for them at all. Or is this sarcasm?

Edited by Anacybele

10 minutes ago, Anacybele said:

Fixed that for you. We wouldn't have had such a close game if the refs hadn't basically gifted the Saints 14-21 points, especially that late TD.

Why? Ravens are our rival. We shouldn't be happy for them at all.

The hell, Ana? More like tainted that for me.

Sports shouldn't be taken so seriously to the point that you feel it necessary to quote my post and make my words betray my true thoughts, because it's never necessary. I may not have seen all of the game (though the Juju betrayed us part was blatantly petty on your part), but that's no excuse. Fan of the same team or not, I don't have to share your viewpoints.

And why am I not allowed to show respect for our rivals and their fans whom, as I've said before, show no hatred for as I see them as worthy competitors and feel no reason to hate them as people (especially as a whole team)? You're not the law on who I should respect and who I shouldn't, so don't even think about questioning others like that. I mean what I said when I said I'm happy for Lord Raven. >:/ 

Edited by NoirCore

9 minutes ago, Anacybele said:

Why? Ravens are our rival. We shouldn't be happy for them at all. Or is this sarcasm?

I mean, I get my butt kicked in card games all the time, but I wish whoever challenged me luck.  Just 'cause they're on the other side doesn't make 'em the devil.

(this holds true for football, too)

11 minutes ago, NoirCore said:

The hell, Ana? More like tainted that for me.

Sports shouldn't be taken so seriously to the point that you feel it necessary to quote my post and make my words betray my true thoughts, because it's never necessary. I may not have seen all of the game (though the Juju betrayed us part was blatantly petty on your part), but that's no excuse. Fan of the same team or not, I don't have to share your viewpoints.

And why am I not allowed to show respect for our rivals and their fans whom, as I've said before, show no hatred for as I see them as worthy competitors and have no reason to hate them as people (especially as a whole team)? You're not the law on who I should respect and who I shouldn't, so don't even think about questioning others like that. I mean what I said when I said I'm happy for Lord Raven. >:/ 

Sorry, I wasn't meaning to offend anyone. I was just telling you how I felt about that game. And I see members on this forum "fix" others' posts all the time.

And...sorry, but I just can't understand that line of thinking in the second paragraph. I can respect the Ravens as a rival, sure. But never have I been happy for them for any reason. But I guess we'll just have to leave it at that. Different ways of thinking. And that's fine.

EDIT:

I'll just look forward to baseball, no biggie. :P

Pirates are terrible though? I wouldn't hope for anything out of them, personally.

On another note, I don't think this game was on coaching, but I'm still thinking we need new coaching staff too. This team is very talented and has been for the last several years, and yet we still have not made a Super Bowl since 2011. And we only got to an AFC title game once in that timeframe. I don't feel we'll ever get anymore championships under Tomlin.

@eclipse You're right, eclipse, but in this case, the Ravens are our direct divisional rival. We're obligated to dislike and be against them by default. lol I can't be happy for a team I dislike. :P Still, I won't try to force my opinion on anyone here. I was just curious about why Noircore was happy for Lord Raven. Perhaps I could've worded what I said better, though, so I apologize for that. But yeah.

Edited by Anacybele

2 minutes ago, eclipse said:

I mean, I get my butt kicked in card games all the time, but I wish whoever challenged me luck.  Just 'cause they're on the other side doesn't make 'em the devil.

(this holds true for football, too)

Seconded. Unfortunately, the competitive part of sports can rile up plenty of fans (no matter the team they support) to unpleasant levels of bias, to say the least. I used to hate our rivals as a kid on the basis of "they're our rivals", but nowadays I try to avoid emulating that kind of biased fan behavior when talking sports and such and just not let winning or losing get to my ego.

I mean, I like the Ravens' branding, too. :P

16 minutes ago, NoirCore said:

Seconded. Unfortunately, the competitive part of sports can rile up plenty of fans (no matter the team they support) to unpleasant levels of bias, to say the least. I used to hate our rivals as a kid on the basis of "they're our rivals", but nowadays I try to avoid emulating that kind of biased fan behavior when talking sports and such and just not let winning or losing get to my ego.

This is a fair mindset. Okay.

But the thing here for me is not so much that we lost. It's the way we lost. I'm not throwing bias around at all. I don't even dislike the Saints, I'm indifferent to them. But tons of people, even non-Steelers fans, not just myself, are saying the officiating was bad and that Juju made a horrible mistake at the end. It really sucks to lose that way. Even if we did put up a good game besides that.

And some fans like me are frustrated that we're not making the SB when we have some of the most talented players in the league on both sides of the ball. It just feels like coaching is repeatedly holding us back (mostly, since as I said, today's game isn't actually on them) and the fact that nothing's being done about that just makes us upset. We had no business losing to the Broncos and Raiders (the former game did have some bad officiating, but we beat ourselves pretty bad too). And we're playing down to our opponent too much. Look at Tomlin's record against losing teams.

And this time, we went from holding the second seed to not even making the playoffs.

If we were just a subpar team right now, I wouldn't care as much. I'd just be like "well, keep rebuilding" and such. I think the Pens need to rebuild too, kinda, so I won't be upset if they miss the playoffs this time. But the Steelers have the talent, it's just not being used to the max imo. And this is what frustrates some of us.

If this sheds some light on why some Steelers fans are riled up. I just wanted to explain.

Edited by Anacybele

2 minutes ago, Anacybele said:

This is a fair mindset. Okay.

But the thing here for me is not so much that we lost. It's the way we lost. I'm not throwing bias around at all. I don't even dislike the Saints, I'm indifferent to them. But tons of people, even non-Steelers fans, not just myself, are saying the officiating was bad and that Juju made a horrible mistake at the end. It really sucks to lose that way. Even if we did put up a good game besides that.

And some fans like me are frustrated that we're not making the SB when we have some of the most talented players in the league on both sides of the ball. It just feels like coaching is repeatedly holding us back (mostly, since as I said, today's game isn't actually on them) and the fact that nothing's being done about that just makes us upset. We had no business losing to the Broncos and Raiders (the former game did have some bad officiating, but we beat ourselves pretty bad too). And we're playing down to our opponent too much. Look at Tomlin's record against losing teams.

If we were just a subpar team right now, I wouldn't care as much. I'd just be like "well, keep rebuilding" and such. I think the Pens need to rebuild too, kinda, so I won't be upset if they miss the playoffs this time. But the Steelers have the talent, it's just not being used to the max imo. And this is what frustrates some of us.

If this sheds some light on why some Steelers fans are riled up. I just wanted to explain.

Sorry to hear you're frustrated over a game, but I still suspect bias when you said Juju "betrayed" us like he wanted to fumble the football and questioned me showing praise to a fan of a rival team like it was taboo. And I've already gone down that rabbit hole on why I don't believe your coaching complaints, so I'm just gonna jump off the ride here and enjoy sports, win or lose, Steelers, Pens, or Bucs. I'll want all three to be great and win, of course, but it won't be necessary to my happiness. And I don't want you pulling that obnoxious quote vandalism on me again, not to mention I imagine others would easily feel the same if you did that to them in spite of their true feelings, Steeler fan or not.

You go ahead and (respectfully) rant when you feel like it, and I'll just be as chill as Wrys over here.

Sorry to hear you're frustrated over a game, but I still suspect bias when you said Juju "betrayed" us like he wanted to fumble the football and questioned me showing praise to a fan of a rival team like it was taboo. And I've already gone down that rabbit hole on why I don't believe your coaching complaints, so I'm just gonna jump off the ride here and enjoy sports, win or lose, Steelers, Pens, or Bucs. I'll want all three to be great and win, of course, but it won't be necessary to my happiness. And I don't want you pulling that obnoxious quote vandalism on me again, not to mention I imagine others would easily feel the same if you did that to them in spite of their true feelings, Steeler fan or not.

You go ahead and (respectfully) rant when you feel like it, and I'll just be as chill as Wrys over here.

Okay, I was just trying to explain why some fans are riled up... Sorry. :/ And I didn't know that "vandalism" pissed you off so much, wow. Again, sorry...

Also, I was a huge fan of Juju before this. So for him to throw away our season like that really really stung. I'm not saying he WANTED to do that. But I'm certain it was avoidable, because it didn't look like he had the ball punched out or anything.

Personally for me, I don't enjoy teams that lose a lot. You can't win every game, no, but it's not fun to lose a lot. So yeah. But you can do your thing, and I'll do mine. Have a happy holiday, btw.

Edited by Anacybele

10 minutes ago, Anacybele said:

Okay, I was just trying to explain why some fans are riled up... Sorry. :/ And I didn't know that "vandalism" pissed you off so much, wow. Again, sorry...

Also, I was a huge fan of Juju before this. So for him to throw away our season like that really really stung. I'm not saying he WANTED to do that. But I'm certain it was avoidable, because it didn't look like he had the ball punched out or anything.

Personally for me, I don't enjoy teams that lose a lot. You can't win every game, no, but it's not fun to lose a lot. So yeah. But you can do your thing, and I'll do mine. Have a happy holiday, btw.

A lot of fumbles looks avoidable, hence their nature as fumbles. I'm still a fan of Juju; why should I dislike him for doing something he REALLY didn't want to do? "Hey, you fumbled the ball and potentially cost us the playoffs, I'm not a fan of you anymore." I'm heavily certain it stings harder for him than it does for you. :/

Not gonna read your reply to this, just giving my piece and walking away.

Edited by NoirCore

18 minutes ago, Slumber said:

The Vikings making it into the playoffs being a huge toss up is worrying me. The Eagles were supposed to lose today!

There is never a "supposed to" in sports. :P

YES WE FINALLY CONTROL OUR DESTINY

I'm so sad the browns are hot. Two hot teams with two hot quarterbacks. I want a blowout win, but the football fan in me can't wait for 15 more years of Baker and Lamar in the same division. They're like each other's mirror in a way.

Edited by Lord Raven

9 hours ago, Lord Raven said:

YES WE FINALLY CONTROL OUR DESTINY

I'm so sad the browns are hot. Two hot teams with two hot quarterbacks. I want a blowout win, but the football fan in me can't wait for 15 more years of Baker and Lamar in the same division. They're like each other's mirror in a way.

Yeah, if Baker keeps being hot, the Browns may be regular contenders in the AFC in the coming years, if not surprise SB champs. And then it'll be hilarious when people who don't watch football nowadays making jokes about how the Browns are bad have to be broken the news to them that they aren't bad anymore.

Oh yeah, btw, even though I generally dislike the Ravens, I do feel sorry for Flacco now. He's all but lost his job and he's still got gas left in the tank for sure. And yet, he's still over 30, I wonder what team would take him next season. I saw that he probably won't be with the Ravens anymore then.

All the Ben vs Flacco scenarios were nice though! Never gonna forget that matchup. Respect.

EDIT: http://www.nfl.com/news/story/0ap3000001004019/article/steelers-haden-pissed-about-penalties-in-saints-loss

Even the NFL website and Joe Haden both agree those PI calls on him were questionable/bad. I kind of remember Michael Thomas pushing off on him a bit too and thinking it could've been called if Haden's "contact" was. A defender can't lay a single finger on a receiver, but a receiver can do whatever the heck he wants? :/

I think penalties on scoring plays should be reviewable/challengeable, because these errors by the refs are ridiculous and made it a lot harder for us to win. Both these calls directly led to Saints TDs, especially the first one since the flag put them at the 1 yard line. And if the second call had been correct, the ball would've been ours on downs.

Now somebody just needs to bring up that fumble that should've been. How do you NOT call a guy who coughs up the ball after running a couple steps a fumble.

Honestly, I haven't been upset over the actual loss so much as these crappy refs.

Edited by Anacybele

On 12/24/2018 at 9:54 AM, NoirCore said:

Yeah, if Baker keeps being hot, the Browns may be regular contenders in the AFC in the coming years, if not surprise SB champs. And then it'll be hilarious when people who don't watch football nowadays making jokes about how the Browns are bad have to be broken the news to them that they aren't bad anymore.

I really wish people made more jokes about the Buccs but they've just been mediocre since the super bowl 

The Buccs are a perennially way worse franchise than the browns tbh