Possible new details on Monolith Soft's next game have emerged

Armagon

47 minutes ago, Armagon said:

I mean, even if it was a Xeno game, this game is at least 3-4 years away so we probably aren't any getting any new games in the series for a while, barring the really likely possibility of Xenoblade X on Nintendo Switch.

I defiantly wouldn't doubt it if this game is nowhere close to done at this point. I have a feeling we won't be getting any official announcements any time soon, winter 2018 if we're lucky.

Ok so the Xenoblade 2 OST released yesterday and the physical version (which released in Japan only) came with a booklet that contained a message from Monolith Soft, specifically Tetsuya Takahashi and Koh Kojima, the big wigs over at Monolith Soft with the former being both the founder of both the company and Xeno. The message said this

(I/We) want to continue the Xenoblade numbering. So, before that about "XenobladeX", (I/we) think it is also important.

So (I/we) want to release a 3rd Xenoblade, and a 2nd X.

But if we continue with only numbering, spoilers might become a problem, so (I/we) really want to produce a perfect new original work together at the same time.

The new original work lines up with the recent job listings and concept art, which, i guess is (unsurprising) evidence that this new game really isn't a Xenoblade, especially since they want to make a Xenoblade 3 and X2 later down the line.

1 hour ago, Armagon said:

The new original work lines up with the recent job listings and concept art, which, i guess is (unsurprising) evidence that this new game really isn't a Xenoblade, especially since they want to make a Xenoblade 3 and X2 later down the line.

Yay! The hope liveeeeees! I was worried that from a prior interview, Takahashi sounded like he didn't enjoy sticking to any one thing for too long, and I was afraid he'd abandon X where he left it. I would like to know how much if any of the key plot details/concepts of X2 have already been written, since if it takes until say 2025 to get X2, the less that has been prepared long in advance, the more the writing between X and X2 would diverge. Not to say X was remotely a great plot, but nonetheless, the tone and perceptions the game made of how things would advance in a sequel should not be thrown out the window.

14 minutes ago, Interdimensional Observer said:

I would like to know how much if any of the key plot details/concepts of X2 have already been written, since if it takes until say 2025 to get X2, the less that has been prepared long in advance, the more the writing between X and X2 would diverge. Not to say X was remotely a great plot, but nonetheless, the tone and perceptions the game made of how things would advance in a sequel should not be thrown out the window.

I personally doubt that they've started the planning stages of X2. Xenoblade 2 did began in 2014, when development of X was close to finished but this new game that they are working on is probably still in it's early stages. Adding in the fact that the Xenoblade 2 DLC still isn't over, i feel that they haven't actually started anything on X2 or Xenoblade 3.

I do think we're getting X2 first (after this new IP) and they might get started on that in mid-late 2019. I don't think X2 would come out in 2025. Maybe 2023 is more likely, since they're likely reusing the XC2 engine.