How to approach my Parents?

ZeManaphy

I'm quite in a sticky situation, but I didn't think it was serious enough for serious discussion. I auditioned for AP Studio Art: Draw, and I got into that. Next, I sign up for my school's Yearbook and get in. What's the problem? There both held at the same time, and there's only one AP Art class in my entire school. So today, I had to choose which one to take and drop. So I went with Yearbook because: 1.  I'll be going to MICA for a Pre-College program in the summer  which will be college level. 2. Being able to work on an actual projects will be great for my portfolio and resume by designing a product. 3. The portfolio audition for the AP Judging will be near useless because I will already applied and got into art college by then. 4. I'm not really of an AP student. I like to work at my own pace, which is conflicting because AP Art is very fast paced. They've permitted me to take Art 3, another advanced art Course at my school. The thing is though, my parents were really hyped that I got accepted into AP Art. My mother is the one who I am worried about, because she loses her temper if things don't go her way... Which is why I'm really nervous to talk. Anyway... How should I approach this?

Lemme get one thing straight: Have you already been accepted into an art college?  I'm not quite sure what you're saying in your third reason.

A crabwalk would be a good way to approach them.

For real though, forgive me for being a stupid science bitch, but I always thought that your course background in art fields wasn't quite so crucial as actually putting your artistic abilities on display, so an AP art course seems... a little counter-intuitive to me. Especially if you're not going to have it completed on time to even flaunt any of your work when applying to programs and colleges.

Unless you're trying to get into a super competitive art school and REALLY want to show that you know your stuff by just taking AP, I say stick with Yearbook. Trust me, as somebody who spent waaaay too much time completing his degree, one class is hardly going to mean much in the long run. Most people complete their degrees in timely enough fashions without AP courses, and 4 credits out of 120 or 128 is a drop in the bucket when all is said and done. If Yearbook is more your speed and lets you continue to be productive at your own pace, that's probably what you should do. Just enjoy the end of high school.

As for the main topic and your parents... I don't know them. I can assume that they're pretty supportive, given how happy they are for you. And if so, reassure them that this AP class isn't really quite as important as it sounds, and that you're not stopping your art pursuits by not taking it. Tell them that a fast-paced art cram course isn't how you want to use your talents and that you're focused on preparing for MICA and college.

Edited by Slumber

It's your parents. I'm sure your parents will accept your decision, no matter what it is. They want you to be happy, after all. If Yearbook makes you happier, i'm sure your parents will understand.

• 2 weeks later...

It’s your decision, your parents should respect it, but looking at your post I can point out a few things.

Professional art at any level, even teaching can be ruthless in its demands.  At the collegiate level, you are being forced and demanded to produce with deadlines and at a quantity with a standard of quality which will force you to either develop and adapt to the pace or burn out and drop back down to a hobbyist.

That said dropping the AP class won’t particularly hurt your chances for admission, but your attitude of “work at my own pace” is going to be completely crushed at any school and will hold you back at an art college.