Legendary Hero Battle Across the Plains: Lyn

SatsumaFSoysoy

@Zeo A lit late but wow, I'm really impressed with this clear! Abyssal clears are my limit, so I can sort of relate to how these things can take time and lead to burnout, but I can really respect the amount of effort you've gone into this one, although sorry to hear there wasn't that sense of satisfaction as you thought in the end. Still, things like Lancebreaker on Genny and WoM Ayra were interesting to see, and Matthew enduring the length of the map was something to see.

Still, do what you have to do and within your own limits. I can really relate to how these things take time even if a map is simple sometimes just music selection can take up time. Lately I've also been surprised how clears and music selection can make me waste a day when I had other plans, so if you've hit a point where you know the length is a problem for RL, then yeah take the time off you need to. It does feel a bit sad (especially with the music heh) but once you actually take a look at the statistics and how many videos you've done, and how much more time and effort with unseen failed runs, it's really impressive.

But yeah, very understandable to scale back and if the game doesn't give you enjoyment anymore, to just step back. One of the small things left for me is to do crossover/themed clears but sometimes things like Abyssals just won't be fun. Hope you can enjoy something in the game again, even in a smaller scale.

Edited by mcsilas

• Replies 250
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

@Zeo Firstly thank you for the ping, could have completely missed this!
Please don't force yourself and burn out >-<. It is just a game, and these Abyssal maps have been very difficult. You're doing so much clears too, it's completely understandable. I always have to remind myself it's fine to take time for these maps, as they last for several days, and also come in rotation. No pressure to do everything at once. Take a break, and relax! Hope you manage to enjoy the game again. 

For the clear,  WoM on Arya to both attack and retreat is a great idea. I love how you kept Poison Strike on Matthew to chip down the inflated hp and Atk Smoke in conjunction with the Smoke dagger. Him taking 0 dmg so many times too. Amazing! x'D. As someone who has a weird fixation with colourless units, these Matthew clears are fantastic. It's just so rare to see a dagger unit being the main on such difficult maps like these.

On 11/10/2018 at 3:49 AM, Zeo said:

All this ranting aside I've come to a conclusion... I've reached burnout. I rarely care about the new units that drop, when I get *5 the feeling of excitement is mostly gone unless it's a favorite and when I don't pull anything of value, I feel... nothing really. Almost numb. That's not the way I should feel about something that's supposed to bring me joy in my spare time.

Don't worry about it, I've been sort of like this too. I still like pulling for people with great art, but I'm not super passionate about the game or anything. I've always been rather impressed by how much time you put into this sort of thing, while I just do one clear with no theme because that's all I'm willing to do. But I wouldn't mind at all if all we got to see from now on was just the Matthew clears, since that's kinda your thing.

I've always found it rather unbelievable that the same team just clears every Hero Battle without need for change in lineup... I definitely haven't built a fully cohesive team like that in these two years.

On 11/12/2018 at 11:38 PM, SatsumaFSoysoy said:

Don't worry about it, I've been sort of like this too. I still like pulling for people with great art, but I'm not super passionate about the game or anything. I've always been rather impressed by how much time you put into this sort of thing, while I just do one clear with no theme because that's all I'm willing to do. But I wouldn't mind at all if all we got to see from now on was just the Matthew clears, since that's kinda your thing.

Yeah, a little too much time I'm finding. Even the Matthew clears took a while with editing, but it was roughly a 3rd of what I do now... fitting actually. For this next month and a half I'm not sure if the Matthew clear is what I'll do if I only do one or two clears actually. Matt's a classic, but more often than not the Morgan clear or the special clear wind up being the hits. I don't know. The new BHB will be interesting.

On 11/12/2018 at 11:38 PM, SatsumaFSoysoy said:

I've always found it rather unbelievable that the same team just clears every Hero Battle without need for change in lineup... I definitely haven't built a fully cohesive team like that in these two years.

@mcsilas @mampfoid @Alexmender The funniest thing about that was that it was completely by accident. Matthew's spread is underwhelming but his refined dagger is so perfect for him that it completely changes him as a unit, especially with CC and smoke skills. I knew exactly what I wanted to do when the refinery dropped I had the fodder for him. Still I didn't expect the team. A unit like him likes dancers and Inigo was not only available but perfect for dealing with someone Matt couldn't handle: Reinhardt. Him and TA Raven blues were a big threat he just made disappear.

Then there was Ayra who I'd pulled recently and Genny whom I'd never touched because I never cared about her, Razzle Dazzle was fairly new and Physic sucked before the + variant came along. At one point or another I just slapped them together but they worked so well I had to support them with one another which only made them stronger. They just flowed so well together. Better than any team I'd ever used even without color coverage.

I think the key overall ironically, is that Matthew is colorless. There are so many powerful units in this game but almost every single one of them is a specific color. And while some of them can do a good job of ignoring the WT, they eventually crumble, especially in more attrition-based PvE content. Matt had no such problem, I could throw him at nearly anything and he'd survive it with the right setup and a little support. He goes in, debuffs while making himself stronger, Inigo dances while covering his back and supporting him with even more bulk buffs, Ayra cleans up stragglers and assumes a primary role if need be while supporting and Genny keeps the team healthy and even steps in for combat when she needs to, even after Matt finally getting Aether.

The beauty is that Matt is so potent he makes his entire team tanky, that's one of his greatest values as a unit. Despite not having high ATK or the greatest SPD, his DEF is easily buildable and if you don't drop his RES (remember I said I'd never go -RES?) then it's respectable enough to work on even against magic users, especially when he can sustain himsefl with Aether. Felicia and Saizo are better in their respective fields of tanking, but neither of them can do both. That's what sets Matthew apart. Before he had Summoner Support things were tougher, but he still has value as a unit. He's really a game changer and I'd use him even if they removed SS. As far as non-seasonals go, he is the best, and I mean the best overall colorless tank in the game. There's at least one other unit in the dagger pool that does better in any one category, but not a single other one of them can do it all, not like he can. 

I kinda ended up monologing since I know I won't be doing this that much longer, but my point is that... everyone has these units that are great for GHBs, BHBs and such like Brave Veronica, Olivia, etc. Matthew is that for me, he has been since the first day I built him, and barring Abyssal and the highest of the high difficulty battles, there is not a shred of content that he and his team can't clear. Whenever a new batch of content comes out, Matt's team is always the first to get a crack at it and more often than not, the last.

Every player should have the equivalent of a Matthew or a signature team in my opinion. It makes clearing content quickly much easier on the fundamental side and improves the QoL of your game on the personal side. On a more technical note, pick a Dagger you like and build a Rogue Dagger+ unit. It's fun as can be and feathers are in abundance. 

Thanks for listening to me rant.

@Zeo I think it's nice how sometimes, unintended unit combos can become a trademark. That's part of the appeal of the FEH crossover, since characters you never thought you'd use may just work together pretty well.

Daggers really are a fun unit to use though, and your clears really show that as the debuff sounds are music to my ears. Rogue Dagger+ with horse/flier mobility sounds super fun though, I wish we had that unity type in the normal pull Matthew alt when?

• 2 months later...
2 hours ago, Sasori said:

Going up against Duma did not end well for my Sharena team, but they just finished their second LHB. It took some tries.

I can imagine this wasn't easy for team Sharena, but I'm glad you made this clear, it's fun to watch. 

Nice how Lyn dissipates early eating Matthews' Ignis. Really original moves on the island where everyone has to tank some hits, even Wrys when no physical units are around. 

Astonishing how many kills Raigh is getting, even against WT, congrats! 

Don't forget to solve the normal difficulty! 

Thanks. Glad you enjoyed it.

Taking out Lyn early was probably the most important job. Sharena does not really like fighting her and Matthew could luckily tank the ranged hits and charged up Ignis.

I did not expect Raigh to take out the blue tin man. Sure he had bons, buffs/debuffs and a special, but I still had to double check that.

I probably should finish that one, but you don't get any orbs for it.

On 1/31/2019 at 12:23 PM, Sasori said:

@Nanima @Landmaster @mampfoid

Going up against Duma did not end well for my Sharena team, but they just finished their second LHB. It took some tries.

Funny how Raigh was taking out the Blue units like they were nothing~ Wrys played a really active role with his healing and spreading the pain~ Sharena ends up being really tanky and taking a lot of damage, Matthew as well~ Everyone played a vital role to get the win, nice job!~

@Sasori Impressive clear for Sharena and friends! Matthew taking out Lyn in one round was awesome. Wrys healing was so helpful, while I thought Sharena surviving the Axe Armour at the end was a great highlight. Also kudos to Raigh for taking out a lot of the annoying horsies.

I didn't have much free time currently, but I did manage to squeeze in one more Abyssal clear for the Birbs:

@mampfoid @Landmaster @mcsilas @kirauza343 @Azuris @Zeo @ruruo @daisy jane

Music: Kaine (Escape) - from Nier Gestalt/Replicant

Once again, a map that is made a lot easier with high mobility units. And the birbs might currently have the highest. Most of the enemies didn't pose too much of a problem, and Lyn was gotten rid of within the first half of the battle. Reyson didn't get the kill on her, but he made up for it later. This map did have a secret boss, in the form of the Lance Knight with Wary Fighter. That guy was tough nut to crack, since he could kill them all so easily. This is like my Taku clears, except they can usually chip without fearing retaliation. Here, most of the battle was spent maneuvering around him until I had the time and space to deal with him last. Reyson may be stronger now, but he still needs a bit of a push to kill tanky things, but luckily Tibarn and Naesala are able to chip them down to size for him. 

Somehow Naesala always end sup getting hurt the most. At least Tibarn has his busted A skill to keep him alive. He must be losing a lot of feathers over it. Oh well, so long as he can still fly...

I got all difficulties beaten, except for Abyssal. I don't think I'll ever get that one beaten; it's the stupidest, most unfair bullcrap, and not just here but in all the other challenges in the game as well.

Eh, still happy I got the rest beaten. Had to switch up the team a couple of times, but it was mostly a matter of tanky defense and power.

@mampfoid @Landmaster @Sasori

Not an especially fancy clear, but a clear is a clear. I did it in 8 turns at first, but managed to cut that down significantly for the final clear. IDK if I'll ever be able to 1-turn this, the two enemies outside the main cluster are the sticking point. If I did I'd need a lot more merges on all my units.

One plus of doing a "normal" clear is everyone gets to contribute more. More recently either Hinoka or Morgan have tended to get left out, so it was nice that they didn't for this one. Speaking of Hinoka, really looking forward to her banner in a few days so that I can get her some merges and hopefully a better nature. (Hoping for +Spd)

On 1/31/2019 at 11:23 AM, Sasori said:

Great work! For some reason, I thought it was funny when Wrys tanked those two mages and did splash damage with Pain.

3 hours ago, Robert of Normandy said:

Not an especially fancy clear, but a clear is a clear. I did it in 8 turns at first, but managed to cut that down significantly for the final clear. IDK if I'll ever be able to 1-turn this, the two enemies outside the main cluster are the sticking point. If I did I'd need a lot more merges on all my units.

Still a nice clear, your units get to tank a lot. Fortress DEF on Hinoka was a surprise, also Minerva doesn't get that much to do. 

Congrats! 

8 hours ago, Nanima said:

Somehow Naesala always end sup getting hurt the most. At least Tibarn has his busted A skill to keep him alive. He must be losing a lot of feathers over it. Oh well, so long as he can still fly...

That's really fun to watch. 3 mov Fliers with hit and run plus dancers. 

Wow, that red Flier really dealt zero damage to Tibarn. The blue fridge took a while to go down, but overall your flying beasts take out Abyssal foes real fast.

Congrats! 

26 minutes ago, mampfoid said:

Still a nice clear, your units get to tank a lot. Fortress DEF on Hinoka was a surprise, also Minerva doesn't get that much to do. 

Congrats!

I actually gave her that a while ago for my old Eirika Infernal clear - I actually needed it more for the attack reduction then.

11 hours ago, Nanima said:

@Sasori Impressive clear for Sharena and friends! Matthew taking out Lyn in one round was awesome. Wrys healing was so helpful, while I thought Sharena surviving the Axe Armour at the end was a great highlight. Also kudos to Raigh for taking out a lot of the annoying horsies.

I didn't have much free time currently, but I did manage to squeeze in one more Abyssal clear for the Birbs:

@mampfoid @Landmaster @mcsilas @kirauza343 @Azuris @Zeo @ruruo @daisy jane

Music: Kaine (Escape) - from Nier Gestalt/Replicant

Once again, a map that is made a lot easier with high mobility units. And the birbs might currently have the highest. Most of the enemies didn't pose too much of a problem, and Lyn was gotten rid of within the first half of the battle. Reyson didn't get the kill on her, but he made up for it later. This map did have a secret boss, in the form of the Lance Knight with Wary Fighter. That guy was tough nut to crack, since he could kill them all so easily. This is like my Taku clears, except they can usually chip without fearing retaliation. Here, most of the battle was spent maneuvering around him until I had the time and space to deal with him last. Reyson may be stronger now, but he still needs a bit of a push to kill tanky things, but luckily Tibarn and Naesala are able to chip them down to size for him. 

The birbs are back, another great clear and more great music (I unashamedly watched this several times just for the music)~ Naesala and Tibarn work really well with that Hit and Run so they can straight up kill something, get sang, and kill somebody else while staying with the Singers of the flock~ They do so well staying together so they can always stay out of harm's way and get their HP recovered~ A real dream team set up, TBH~ It's really impressive to watch, wonderful job again!

7 hours ago, Robert of Normandy said:

@mampfoid @Landmaster @Sasori

One plus of doing a "normal" clear is everyone gets to contribute more. More recently either Hinoka or Morgan have tended to get left out, so it was nice that they didn't for this one. Speaking of Hinoka, really looking forward to her banner in a few days so that I can get her some merges and hopefully a better nature. (Hoping for +Spd)

I tried to quote you in my last post but I flopped~ Anyway nice clear, it's always nice to see longer ones where the whole team can chip in~ Looks like it didn't give you much trouble either way~ Good luck getting some Hinoka merges!

19 hours ago, mampfoid said:

Wow, that red Flier really dealt zero damage to Tibarn. The blue fridge took a while to go down, but overall your flying beasts take out Abyssal foes real fast.

Sturdy Impact is amazing! And yeah, they usually have little trouble taking them down in one go.

16 hours ago, Landmaster said:

The birbs are back, another great clear and more great music (I unashamedly watched this several times just for the music)~ Naesala and Tibarn work really well with that Hit and Run so they can straight up kill something, get sang, and kill somebody else while staying with the Singers of the flock~ They do so well staying together so they can always stay out of harm's way and get their HP recovered~ A real dream team set up, TBH~ It's really impressive to watch, wonderful job again!

Thanks! Glad you enjoyed the music. Nier's soundtrack is absolutely beautiful. Yeah, this map was easy for the unlimited freedom the birds had. Hit and Run helped immensely. The one shortcoming they have, is that none of them are ranged, and don't do well in close quarters. They didn't do well on Eirika's map, sadly.

7 hours ago, ruruo said:

That was such a clean clear. I was a little worried about all the archers on this map for you, but they were no problem. The three range flying has so much coverage

Yeah, so long there is enough space, they don't need to fear anyone. It's when things pile up that it gets dicey for them.

@Nanima

I'm late for this one, but really nice clear.

All that movement, damage, free healing and singing, that team is absolutely amazing. Just bringing archers to counter you? Well, not going to happen you completely overwhelmed them.

Well done.

• 3 months later...

I Celica'ed this map. so fun. i was (again) struggling how to go with this for a bit. and then i took advantage of my  Guidance (1)  seal on Airzura  and decided instead of going down - i will attack up and stall abit and then work my way down. This worked out perfectly. I didn't expect yet another wave of units to come so i had troubles with the new coming bow cav and blue mage cav- and i stupidly left Lene in the path of the blue mage. for the first time (in like forever), Lene took that hit like a champ  and Celica cleared out everything else. 

Don't care about the abyssal accessory for lyn - so therefore,  that's it! I've now cleared every single Legendary/Myth Battle map to date! 

• 1 year later...