Wyvern Rider weapons

Corrobin

Over the years, Wyvern Riders have used Swords, Lances, and Axes in their different incarnations.

Which weapon do you think they should use?

Axes, then Lances on promotion.

2 minutes ago, Shrimperor said:

The way Fates did it: Axes and either Lances or Tomes upon Promo

I don't see the point of giving them tomes - most likely, wyverns would be better off using axes than trying to chip with tomes when they likely have a nonexistent magic stat.

Hand Cannons, giving it a literal definition to Flying Artillery.

Seriously though, I'd think lances and/or axes, in either order when taking into account promotions. Or Fire Lances.

Edited by Acacia Sgt

I personally prefer axes, as Pegasus riders already hate up the lance flyer role. I personally would keep wyverns axes, pegasi lances, and add a sword flyer (griffons?) to complete the trio. 

I prefer Lances over Axes tbh. 

Sacred Stones was my first FE after all, so maybe I just think of them like that. 

I also like their lance animations because they one are of the only units that look like they are using lances rather than spears. I'm also generally against pointless weapon parity for movement types, so being the same as peagaus doesn't bother me.

If I had to give a half-assed gameplay reason, I would say that senselessly playing enemy phase (which a high def/high atk class like wyverns tends to do) with Javelins is weaker than doing so with hand axes due to lower durability/mt, especially in game's with forging (and what Wyvern in the series takes con penalities from either). That's kind of mostly a FE10-13 issue though.

Start with axes or lances then get the other upon promo. Preferably they would start with axes since there are relatively very few unpromoted axe classes.

Axes helps them stand out from Pegasus Knights more and gives us a mounted tier 1 axe class in a series where those are typically absent.

The pragmatist says axes, familiar as I am with lances being the primary weapon for nearly all of them.

Swords actually seem weird as a weapon for them too, so I agree that a separate class could take swords as their primary.

9 minutes ago, Dayni said:

Swords actually seem weird as a weapon for them too, so I agree that a separate class could take swords as their primary.

Outside of King Daein, swords have always been the secondary weapon, rather then the main weapon, of Wyvern riding classes even in the Kaga games.

FEPR_Wyvern_Rider_(red).png

Lances make the most sense from a In-Universe perspective as Wyverns are tall and large mounts, so the rider would need a long weapon to effectively hit their target. 

Too bad that PoleAxes never reappeared after Radiant Dawn, those looked good on Wyvern rider.

Edited by Emperor Hardin

46 minutes ago, Emperor Hardin said:

Outside of King Daein, swords have always been the secondary weapon, rather then the main weapon, of Wyvern riding classes even in the Kaga games.

Like I said, I consider them a weird choice of weapon despite how common it has been the choice by the devs. It's only really been since SD that changed and imo for the better.

I prefer Wyvrens to have axes. Lances makes more sense but the axe kind of draws the short end of the stick when it comes to representation. Its usually the main weapon of fighters and berserkers who are almost never important characters. Wyvrens on the other hand are usually more important and often given better writing too. By giving wyvrens axes you ensure that more high profile characters get to wield an axe.  

7 minutes ago, Etrurian emperor said:

I prefer Wyvrens to have axes. Lances makes more sense but the axe kind of draws the short end of the stick when it comes to representation. Its usually the main weapon of fighters and berserkers who are almost never important characters. Wyvrens on the other hand are usually more important and often given better writing too. By giving wyvrens axes you ensure that more high profile characters get to wield an axe.  

"Almost never important characters" is one thing, but I'd say the other issue with fighters and axe infantry in general is that they're almost never good as units.

Edited by Levant Mir Celestia

36 minutes ago, Dayni said:

Like I said, I consider them a weird choice of weapon despite how common it has been the choice by the devs. It's only really been since SD that changed and imo for the better.

What I mean is the sword is always treated as the sidearm. Wyvern unit map sprites and artwork always depict them with lances, Wyvern riding characters always have legendary lances as opposed to swords, ETC.

Like in FE4, Areone and Altenna can use swords, but everyone in game talks about how good they are with Lances and both have a Legendary lance as opposed to a legendary sword.

Technically the first game with Wyvern Axes was Path of Radiance where Wyvern Lords got axes as a secondary.

19 minutes ago, Levant Mir Celestia said:

"Almost never important characters" is one thing, but I'd say the other issue with fighters and axe infantry in general is that they're almost never good as units.

For fighter and Warrior line units this is a little true in several games, but not really true for Berserker line units.

25 minutes ago, Etrurian emperor said:

On the other hand, getting more important Warriors and Berserkers would be awful nice. There are even games like Awakening where the player gets no berserker line units.

Even in stuff like heroes, Warriors and Berserkers are always last pick, hence axe representation comes from Generals, Heroes, and Wyverns over them.

Edited by Emperor Hardin

7 minutes ago, Emperor Hardin said:

Technically the first game with Wyvern Axes was Path of Radiance where Wyvern Lords got axes as a secondary.

Well that's what happens when you haven't played those games, you don't know that.

Axes are still getting shafted, too many reds I guess.

Just now, Dayni said:

Well that's what happens when you haven't played those games, you don't know that.

Axes are still getting shafted, too many reds I guess.

It is interesting thing that as bad as Archers and Armored Knights get with ingame balance, important characters are still in those class lines.

Conversely Fighters and Brigands/Pirate line units are usually either 1 or 2 minor playable characters and beginning map boss.

57 minutes ago, Emperor Hardin said:

For fighter and Warrior line units this is a little true in several games, but not really true for Berserker line units.

I wouldn't exactly be so quick to sing the praises of Berserkers... Game-by-game analysis:

• FE6: Garret is mediocre, Gonzales is fast and strong, but might as well be blind as a Zubat, and Geese does not excel at anything in particular. All three are also hampered by axe accuracy being garbage.
  • FE7: Dart has a pretty lousy start, and needs the very expensive (and very missable) Ocean Seal to promote. Hawkeye is decent.
  • FE8: Dozla is not very good. Pirate Ross needs the Ocean Seal to promote, which, unfortunately for him, Colm also needs to promote.
  • FE9: Largo comes rather late.
  • FE11/12: You can only have two at most, and the one natural one you get is pretty bad, in SD at least.
  • FE13: Reclassing is needed since you don't get any natural Barbarians.
  • FE14: Berserkers are a promotion of Fighter. Arthur and Charlotte are both at or near the bottom of the barrel in both Conquest and Revelation.
Edited by Levant Mir Celestia

18 minutes ago, Levant Mir Celestia said:

I wouldn't exactly be so quick to sing the praises of Berserkers... Game-by-game analysis:

• FE6: Garret is mediocre, Gonzales is fast and strong, but might as well be blind as a Zubat, and Geese does not excel at anything in particular. All three are also hampered by axe accuracy being garbage.
  • FE7: Dart has a pretty lousy start, and needs the very expensive (and very missable) Ocean Seal to promote. Hawkeye is decent.
  • FE8: Dozla is not very good. Pirate Ross needs the Ocean Seal to promote, which, unfortunately for him, Colm also needs to promote.
  • FE11/12: You can only have two at most, and the one natural one you get is pretty bad, in SD at least.
  • FE14: Berserkers are a promotion of Fighter. Arthur and Charlotte are both at or near the bottom of the barrel in both Conquest and Revelation.

FE6: Garret has 30% critical boost, making him much better then if he was any other class. Gonzales has the constitution to double with axes, has good base stats, especially on hard, and gets 30% critical boost. Geese is an accurate axe user with good skill growth and after promotion Short version, FE6 Berserkers aren't quite as good as sword masters, but they are still one of the best classes in the game. Fighters are admittedly bad, though Bartre is a pretty good pre promote.

FE7: I'll have to play it again and decide.

FE8: Dozla isn't one of the better pre promotes, yes. Ross is easily the greatest out of the FE8 trainees. Two Secret shops sells ocean crests, so there's not much competition between them.

FE9: The overseas version of the Berserker gets a +15 critical bonus which I woulds say is pretty good. Overall, this is a rare game where I'd say Warriors are better then Berserkers.

FE11/FE12: Darros is bad in FE11 & ok in FE12, but Berserker Barst/MyUnit/Wolf is a mainstay of any team in the campaign or multiplayer.

FE13:  While you don't get one naturally, Berserker is still one of the better classes, especially compared to crap like Awakening General or Griffon Knight.

FE14: Several people would disagree with Charlotte.

In general, Pirate/Brigand gets a better performance then Fighter. Most handheld fighters are average, but Fighters on the post FE4 console games are all great.

1 hour ago, Levant Mir Celestia said:

1 hour ago, Emperor Hardin said:

FE6: Garret has 30% critical boost, making him much better then if he was any other class. Gonzales has the constitution to double with axes, has good base stats, especially on hard, and gets 30% critical boost. Geese is an accurate axe user with good skill growth and after promotion Short version, FE6 Berserkers aren't quite as good as sword masters, but they are still one of the best classes in the game. Fighters are admittedly bad, though Bartre is a pretty good pre promote.

FE7: I'll have to play it again and decide.

FE8: Dozla isn't one of the better pre promotes, yes. Ross is easily the greatest out of the FE8 trainees. Two Secret shops sells ocean crests, so there's not much competition between them.

FE9: The overseas version of the Berserker gets a +15 critical bonus which I woulds say is pretty good. Overall, this is a rare game where I'd say Warriors are better then Berserkers.

FE11/FE12: Darros is bad in FE11 & ok in FE12, but Berserker Barst/MyUnit/Wolf is a mainstay of any team in the campaign or multiplayer.

FE13:  While you don't get one naturally, Berserker is still one of the better classes, especially compared to crap like Awakening General or Griffon Knight.

FE14: Several people would disagree with Charlotte.

In general, Pirate/Brigand gets a better performance then Fighter. Most handheld fighters are average, but Fighters on the post FE4 console games are all great.

Being able to double a lot or get lots of Critical Hits doesn't really fix Garret and Gonzalez's poor accuracy.  As for Geese, my experience with him wasn't too good, but he may have just gotten RNG-screwed.

As much as I adore good ol' Charlotte the Harlot, she too suffers from shaky accuracy and has to rely on weaker weapons to hit reliably, which holds her back a bit offensively.

@Emperor Hardin

If you plan on continuing this debate with Mr. Levant, do be mentally prepared.  From what I can tell, he values accuracy and Luck (which Berserkers have usually lacked in) far too much for anything you say to have any impact on his position.

You may also want to settle the matter in a different thread so you don't derail this one.

Edited by Von Ithipathachai