Gender locked classes:Yay or Nay?

Certain classes have been gender locked. (Fighter for males, and Pegasus Knight and Trobodour for females) in several Fire Emblem games.

In Fates, there are new characters who are members of classes that were previously gender locked (Subaki and Shigure, male Pegasus Knights, Forrest and Dywer, male Trobodours, and Charlotte, a female fighter).

So, do you believe in equality or not? Should certain classes be restricted or not?

• Replies 75
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

3 minutes ago, CyberController said:

Certain classes have been gender locked. (Fighter for males, and Pegasus Knight and Trobodour for females) in several Fire Emblem games.

In Fates, there are new characters who are members of classes that were previously gender locked (Subaki and Shigure, male Pegasus Knights, Forrest and Dywer, male Trobodours, and Charlotte, a female fighter).

So, do you believe in equality or not? Should certain classes be restricted or not?

I think that there should be an equal amount when doing something like gender locking classes.

For example, always have a counterpart class to balance out certain classes. I'm not saying to do it like the Priest/Cleric setup but more like how Males can be Barbarians and Females can be Pegasus Knights in Awakening. Just keep the numbers even.

Maybe have certain characters that actually have access to a unique class not meant for their respective gender but only 1 character per gender as opposed to class. But that's just something of a niche idea I thought up on the spot just now.

I have no preference either way. It adds something unique to the game, and with characters like Subaki, there is actually a small bit of story behind it. With characters like Lachesis and Leif, it's often heavily implied, if not stated outright, why they are the class they are. (It's the same class, but with a different name, so technically it's a different class.)

I belive more in fairness than equality (when they don't overlap). For something like gender-locked classes in FE, I don't really mind either way. If anything, there's also the factor of gender-ratios on unisex classes.

Take the Pegasus Knight. A flying class that's female-only in all but Fates. For other flying classes, you also have the Dragon/Wyvern Knight class, which were never stated to be gender-locked (utside Archanea were it was the promotion of the PK, though Michalis still existed, even if not a PC); and yet, it took until Thraccia776 to have our first male Dragon/Wyvern Knight PC. I do wonder if someone made a fuzz about it back in the day...

Anyway, my point is, perhaps it's not so much if there's gender-restriction on classes; but rather, give whatever represation one feels is needed with what you have, specific restrictions or not.

Edited by Acacia Sgt

4 minutes ago, Von Ithipathachai said:

He simply meant to give a few examples, not to list every one.

Ah ok.

Back on topic, I'd be fine with the gender restrictions being removed. I'd like characters to still have the look/feel of the class, IE: the recruitable Male Pegasus Knights having a small build like a jockey.

Would also be nice to get more females in the enemy army. We see the enemy nations recruit soldiers of both genders, so why only male generics in every game but 4 and 5?

Edited by Emperor Hardin

No, genderlocked is bad, unit locked is ok.
I love Rinkah and I also love characters like Forrest. 

There is nothing that beats a strong Female swinging a Giant Axe in Fire emblem. I also made Mozu to a berserk. 

I think classes like Fighter can just have their gender lock removed. Sure, it makes more sense to have heavy axes wielded by bulkier men, which is why the older games trended toward that, but there's no reason for there to not be characters like Rinkah. No real downside.

For Pegasus Knight though, there is lore surrounding pegasi behaviour, so I'd be fine if classes were gender locked for reasons like that.

No, I've always hated the fact we couldn't have male pegasus knights for a long time. The idea felt ridiculous to me - some kind of weird crossover with women being 'pure' enough to get near a unicorn or some rubbish like that. Same with not being able to have female beserkers - why can't a woman be one? While women tend to not be as naturally strong as men, there are exceptions, and I've definitely seen women work themselves up into a frenzy. 

Honestly, this was the biggest thing that Fates got right. It removed gender restrictions, finally. There was no reason for them that would make me feel differently, and they just felt archaic as heck. 

There's no good reason to keep them.

There could be explanations for characters being of certain classes without there being a lock on the gender.  Genderlocked classes is an arbitrary way of limiting characters' class pools when the way that it was done in Fates is perfectly fine (it takes a lot of effort to make non-avatar characters able to take on all classes; trust me, I did it with Oboro, it's a hell of a time sink even on Phoenix Mode and even if you just have her change as soon as it's possible).

Stuff like Prince/Princess in 4 or Butler/Maid don't count because in both of those cases the classes do the same thing as their gender counterparts.

It's never been a subject that's bothered me so I don't really care about classes being gender locked. It only really matters in games with reclassing. Why is this even a thing people seem to get worked up over?

26 minutes ago, Stroud said:

No, genderlocked is bad, unit locked is ok.
I love Rinkah and I also love characters like Forrest. 

There is nothing that beats a strong Female swinging a Giant Axe in Fire emblem. I also made Mozu to a berserk. 

Spoiler

giphy.gif

18 minutes ago, CyberController said:

Sometimes, gender lock doesn’t make sense.

Like Fates. Why is the Ballistician class male only? And why are the Great Lord and Grandmaster locked to females and males, when they’re gender neutral in Awakening?

My personal guess is they only wanted to make one model for the DLC classes.

19 minutes ago, SatsumaFSoysoy said:

I think classes like Fighter can just have their gender lock removed. Sure, it makes more sense to have heavy axes wielded by bulkier men, which is why the older games trended toward that, but there's no reason for there to not be characters like Rinkah. No real downside.

For Pegasus Knight though, there is lore surrounding pegasi behaviour, so I'd be fine if classes were gender locked for reasons like that.

Bs_fe03_pegasusknight_male_lance.png

Do note Male Pegasus Knights have appeared in the past. Even the game that introduced the concepts of Pegasus Knights being female, rather specifically said "Pegasus Knights are usually female", basically they specifically didn't rule out male Pegasus Knights altogether.

Edited by Emperor Hardin

13 minutes ago, Emperor Hardin said:

My personal guess is they only wanted to make one model for the DLC classes.

Bs_fe03_pegasusknight_male_lance.png

Do note Male Pegasus Knights have appeared in the past. Even the game that introduced the concepts of Pegasus Knights being female, rather specifically said "Pegasus Knights are usually female", basically they specifically didn't rule out male Pegasus Knights altogether.

Doesn't stop the fact that they never made male pegasus units available to show the rare cases.

1 minute ago, Emperor Hardin said:

My point is that nothing is stopping IS from doing so.

Fates gets flak, but they at the very least did make the first step. Apart from Great Lords and Grandmasters, Pegasus Knights or Sky Knights in Fates, and Fighter class are no longer gender locked. Subaki and Charlotte being the first of their kind. 

So I can imagine that they might start making more variety. 

40 minutes ago, Modamy said:

It's never been a subject that's bothered me so I don't really care about classes being gender locked. It only really matters in games with reclassing. Why is this even a thing people seem to get worked up over?

• Limits roles characters can have in gameplay, especially when there's class-changing, moreso for avatar characters
  • Reinforces dated gender roles (ie: girl healers, guy fighters)
  • Tends to result in us getting characters that are more derivative (see above)

Strictly from a gameplay perspective, the games should give us as much variety in playstyle as is feasible, and a design choice like gender locking is pretty arbitrarily denying us that variety.

2 minutes ago, Dark Holy Elf said:

I'll add my voice to the chorus of nays. It always annoyed me that there were no male pegasus knights or female fighters/pirates/etc.

If it's any consolation, Brigid was a pirate, but not by class I'm afraid....