Would you trust any other developer with FE?

14 minutes ago, Slumber said:

The thing with Thracia is that its BS tends to go both ways(Barring fog of war and warp tiles).

As much as FE5 has BS, knowing how that stuff works cuts down on a lot of the "BS". It's not like FE4 where there are just things that are inherently bad/inferior in your hands, and I'd argue(And I know quite a few people who have played FE5 a lot would also agree) that it also has the most balanced cast of characters in an FE game, gameplay-wise. Due to the mechanics of the game, just about everyone has a use, or something that makes them different in a positive way from their competition.

There are still cases where some units are better(Dagdar being a better capture bot than Marty), but even Shanam, the joke character, is your best merchant and he can save you a ton of money in the late game if you're hurting on supplies or really want good stuff for the last chunk of the game.

Sounds like I'll have to give it a try before I call final judgments on it then if a lot of the BS is dealable 

• Replies 114
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Yes. Most of their recent 3DS games are still some of my fav games. And it's not like they would hire kaga again so no more stuff like FE4/5. I think that my taste is pretty much close to popular and modern gaming trend so I wouldn't worry too much about IS with FE.

Three houses look promising too (aside from weight/con returning)

21 hours ago, Levant Mir Celestia said:

I disagree - sure, Mystery of the Emblem was good, but "brilliant design and balancing" is a phrase that I would NOT consider the Jugdral games worthy of. And I'd rather a remake of those games actually be playable than faithful.

Then you my non-friend, do not understand what brilliant design and balancing is.

People who complain about "BS" in Kaga's games are just simply bad at them. 

Edited by bufkus

16 minutes ago, bufkus said:

Then you my non-friend, do not understand what brilliant design and balancing is.

Oh, I do know what it ISN'T. Because FE4 is a gimmicky and unbalanced mess; if you don't have a horse, sucks to be you - you're automatically a low tier unit. And that's ignoring that the game literally hands you a unit who can solo the entire first half of the game in the prologue. Not to mention the other holy weapons and Pursuit. And the money system. How the fuck is this "brilliant design and balancing"?!

So that's how it's gonna be - just belittle those who dare disagree with you?

Edited by Levant Mir Celestia

55 minutes ago, bufkus said:

Yeah you can't just ignore the brokenness that is FE4, even if kaga was experimenting with that game 

fe4 is utterly broken, I agree with @Levant Mir Celestia

6 minutes ago, Vaximillian said:

There are three things one can watch eternally: water flowing, fire burning, and Levant bitching about FEs he’s never played or given an actual try.

I may not have played 4, (tho I do want to), but it's hard to deny how broken the game is, it's called horse emblem for a reason.

13 minutes ago, DisobeyedCargo said:

I may not have played 4, (tho I do want to), but it's hard to deny how broken the game is, it's called horse emblem for a reason.

I seem to have missed the memo wherein it was forbidden to ever play non-optimally. Oh wait, it doesn’t exist.

22 minutes ago, Vaximillian said:

I seem to have missed the memo wherein it was forbidden to ever play non-optimally. Oh wait, it doesn’t exist.

That is not what I meant, you know I am far from optimal. Where did you even get the idea that you have to play optimally from what I said?

play however you want, but there are still aspects of genealogy that make it less balanced than other games in the franchise

Edited by DisobeyedCargo

fe4 is so broken.

I mean discounting the ridiculousness of the mounts, there's also the thing with certain foot units being stupidly good at combat. Ayra, Levin, and even Jamke and Holyn for gen 1. We all know crazy Ayra's kids can get, as well as the stupidity that is Ced with any non-Alec dad. 

16 minutes ago, Vaximillian said:

11 minutes ago, DisobeyedCargo said:

That is not what I meant, you know I am far from optimal

play however you want, but there are still aspects of genealogy that make it less balanced that other games in the franchise

As I see it, there are some aspects of Genealogy that just make it a massive slog to play through no matter what. 

33 minutes ago, DisobeyedCargo said:

I think the reason Genealogy is a bit of an oddball out is  that the devs were trying new ideas out that they didn't fully understand how to execute or were otherwise restricted by the limitations of the Famicom at the time. Many of the ideas that Genealogy brought to the table are indeed intriguing and interesting and have since been reaplied with far more success in recent games. I personally think genealogy  was a very experimental game that has ultimately aged poorly. It's not "bad" by just regular game standards, but when compared to the other games in the series it just doesn't hold up.

2 minutes ago, Sage of the Mist said:

I think the reason Genealogy is a bit of an oddball out is  that the devs were trying new ideas out that they didn't fully understand how to execute or were otherwise restricted by the limitations of the Famicom at the time. Many of the ideas that Genealogy brought to the table are indeed intriguing and interesting and have since been reaplied with far more success in recent games. I personally think genealogy  was a very experimental game that has ultimately aged poorly. It's not "bad" by just regular game standards, but when compared to the other games in the series it just doesn't hold up.

I understand that it was experimental and I still want to play it due to those experiments and the experimentation gives a reason and excuse for the brokenness 

but that still doesn't make it less broken 

37 minutes ago, DisobeyedCargo said:

I understand that it was experimental and I still want to play it due to those experiments and the experimentation gives a reason and excuse for the brokenness 

but that still doesn't make it less broken 

I'm not saying it isn't broken, it most certainly is, I was just trying to clarify that i don't think it was made lazily or the devs just didn't care. It was just experimental and they most likely didn't have the time nor budget to fix some of the problems FE4 suffers from, and this quote about the game on Wikipedia pretty much sums that all up in one short sentence  

" Production was turbulent due to staff moves and the unexpected addition of character romance and expanded storyline"

and yes I know wikipedia is not considered "reliable" but most of the info on wiki pages does come from reputable sources.

Edit: Also, found this tidbit, same wiki page. "The game's initial gameplay concept was for a squad-based tactical game that excluded role-playing elements, but it eventually settled back into the more traditional Fire Emblem style of single combat between units. He also noted that Kaga kept on pushing for more role-playing elements, to the point that the team felt it was being turned into a full-fledged role-playing video game.[10] The scale of maps was greatly increased due to Kaga's wish for a story that was epic in scope."

So yeah those huge maps everyone hates? Completely intentional.

Edited by Sage of the Mist
Added more info

15 minutes ago, Sage of the Mist said:

I'm not saying it isn't broken, it most certainly is, I was just trying to clarify that i don't think it was made lazily or the devs just didn't care. It was just experimental and they most likely didn't have the time nor budget to fix some of the problems FE4 suffers from, and this quote about the game on Wikipedia pretty much sums that all up in one short sentence  

" Production was turbulent due to staff moves and the unexpected addition of character romance and expanded storyline"

and yes I know wikipedia is not considered "reliable" but most of the info on wiki pages does come from reputable sources.

Well alrighty then, seems we are in agreement then