Would you trust any other developer with FE?

I was browsing through some other threads and noticed this post by Levant Mir Celestia:

Yes, because to be blunt, I already have more than enough reason to doubt IS's competence. I don't need them giving me more reasons to not trust them...

Which reminds me.  Much has been said about IS's ...various questionable choices across the Fire Emblem series.  If they keep messing things up, can any other developer be trusted with not making these mistakes or doing anything else too bad, and if so, who?

• Replies 114
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

IS is one of the few developers I trust to put together a big-budget strategy game. I'd be deathly afraid that someone else would screw it up by making boring maps or removing the high level of polish I associate with the games. I'd go in with an open mind, but I'd be worried for sure.

32 minutes ago, Von Ithipathachai said:

Much has been said about IS's ...various questionable choices across the Fire Emblem series

I'm not sure what this is getting at. We like this series, right? You can quibble with some of the decisions made of course, but there's a reason I'm here and not on, like, some fan site devoted to GTA or Witcher instead.

3 minutes ago, Dark Holy Elf said:

IS is one of the few developers I trust to put together a big-budget strategy game. I'd be deathly afraid that someone else would screw it up by making boring maps or removing the high level of polish I associate with the games.

^ This.

It'd be strange to have any other developer making Fire Emblem games. IS is often associated with FE, and vice versa (although it'd be more accurate to say FE is often associated with Nintendo). Sure, they take risks, but do those risks pay off? They do most of the time. Obviously there were bad decisions that were made, but they've learned from their mistakes and made sure to fix that. Take a look at Awakening's pair up system versus Fates' pair up system. One is cleaner than the other. What about fatigue? The only games it's been in are Thracia 776 and Echoes, and there's good reason for that.

It sucks.

No. In my opinion, each game developer fulfills a certain niche in the industry. Nintendo makes games for all ages, IS produces the more complex games (FE, Advance Wars, Paper Mario), Square Enix makes JRPGs, Capcom is a jack-of-all-trades, Konami manufactures gachapon, Bethesda makes open-world RPGs, EA cranks out greedy cash-grabs, Supercell does the same on a smaller scale but doubles down on the microtransactions, and so on. Trying to make one studio make another's game is not a good idea. For example, if you asked Square Enix to develop the next FE, it would be like asking the janitor to do the plumber's work.

42 minutes ago, Dark Holy Elf said:

I'm not sure what this is getting at. We like this series, right? You can quibble with some of the decisions made of course, but there's a reason I'm here and not on, like, some fan site devoted to GTA or Witcher instead.

I was thinking about class/unit balancing and story writing.

1 hour ago, Dark Holy Elf said:

I'd be deathly afraid that someone else would screw it up by making boring maps or removing the high level of polish I associate with the games.

Shadow Dragon was anything but "highly polished".

Anyway, I'd be open to someone other than IS making a FE game (as long as it's not Kaga).

Edited by NinjaMonkey

I actually think while IS shouldn't be taken off the project all together, that some fresh faces would be good - Breath of the Wild was mostly made by people who hadn't worked on a Zelda game AT ALL, and it became one of the most acclaimed Zelda games of all time.  So, in my opinion, while some IS people should stay on to supervise, I think some new perspectives would be good - especially if they had a respect to FE as a franchise, like what happened with Sonic Mania - essentially a fan game made with some supervision and a sizable budget, and that, like BoW, was one of the most well-received games in it's franchise.

Then again, unlike Sonic Mania, FE doing pretty well financially, so this might not be the greatest idea, but I'd at least like to see someone new put their own spin on the series ^^

Despite IS' track record with it's stories recently, the gameplay has been mostly good so far so i still trust IS on the gameplay department.

As far as gameplay and mechanics, no, I wouldn’t trust another company with it. IS has done really well with that and I don’t think that needs to change. But it might be interesting if they were to collaborate with another company that has a better track record with storytelling and character development.

The real question is if we trust IS with FE.

I trust IS more than any other with the game, at least. It's my favorite series for a reason. But the writing lately? Outsource that.

Yeah, actually, with the story writing, I wouldn't mind outsourcing that to Atlus, or Square-Enix. Actually, not just FE, but with a good majority of Nintendo games (with the possible exception of Zelda, which I think has had solid stories in recent years). At least, from what I've heard, Atlus seem to be more ambitious in deconstructing cliches and tropes. I'm certainly enjoying reading the story with Persona 4, and even with Tokyo Mirage Sessions, the story was very much refreshing compared to other Nintendo Wii U games. Actually, maybe have Kaga team-up with the Atlus writers, and rewrite the Tellius games.

Edited by henrymidfields

10 hours ago, Soleater said:

I actually think while IS shouldn't be taken off the project all together, that some fresh faces would be good - Breath of the Wild was mostly made by people who hadn't worked on a Zelda game AT ALL, and it became one of the most acclaimed Zelda games of all time.  So, in my opinion, while some IS people should stay on to supervise, I think some new perspectives would be good - especially if they had a respect to FE as a franchise, like what happened with Sonic Mania - essentially a fan game made with some supervision and a sizable budget, and that, like BoW, was one of the most well-received games in it's franchise.

Then again, unlike Sonic Mania, FE doing pretty well financially, so this might not be the greatest idea, but I'd at least like to see someone new put their own spin on the series ^^

Yes, but then again, (at least in my opinion) Breath of The Wild didn't feel like a Zelda game.

12 hours ago, Purple Mage said:

For example, if you asked Square Enix to develop the next FE, it would be like asking the janitor to do the plumber's work.

I dunno, I could go for FFT x FE. So long as the Tactics team handles it, it's probably be fine.

I think IS is doing fine, I more think they should take a year off FE (Maybe make a new wars game...Wishful thinking) And just research what been liked. Plus we like polls right? Seriously IS is fine doing the gameplay, getting the odd external writer wouldn't hurt them but overall most of the issues I have with the series are minor, If they persist for another game or two, then I'll be upset.

And make FE x FFT it plays like FE but has FFTs job system...

Well, if you held me down and forced me to choose... gameplay-wise, I'd say Friaxis. They have an extremely solid record at producing strong strategy games, and it helps that the company was formed by former employees of Microprose, which was one of the best strategy game developers in the 90s (they made XCOM, Civilization, Master of Orion, and several other games). However, I'm perfectly fine with having IS remain at the helm. Despite having made some (very) questionable decisions in the past, they are a company that learns from their mistakes and has the most experience working with the series.

Writing-wise however... well, I believe that IS learned from their mistakes with Awakening and especially Fates, and I think we'll get at least an overall solid story in the switch game, but I honestly wouldn't be surprised if we got a better result if some of the writing was outsourced. I'd personally want VisualShower, because Blustone is basically a Fire Emblem game produced by a different company anyway (jokes aside, I actually wouldn't mind if IS took some inspiration from the characters of that game, if only because Levi managed to do the "character is obsessed with the main character" shtick, and have it come off as cute and comedic rather than creepy or shallow) Chris Avellone, as he's proven to be an excellent writer in the past and would give the Fire Emblem series a much needed deconstruction. However, I have no idea how busy he is, and there are other studios and writers that I don't know about that could do the job just as well.

I think IS is doing fine the way it is. The games aren't perfect, but they are solid, and many of them are enjoyable. And there's a reason the series has been around as long as it has...

As for other developers, I'd like to see something merge with the Tales team (meaning the real-time combat). They'd probably have to cut down on the amount of characters, though...

17 hours ago, Von Ithipathachai said:

If they keep messing things up

Like what?

Aside from writing (which IMO has never been the main attraction of the series and has been pretty hit-or-miss from the start), they've done a good job overall. I'd just want a couple people in the writing department who know what they're doing to oversee things, though it's not any priority.

I can't really agree with the post that was the catalyst for this topic.

9 hours ago, DemolisherBPB said:

I dunno, I could go for FFT x FE. So long as the Tactics team handles it, it's probably be fine.

The Ivalice team has been shoved into the darkest corner of the Square offices, and they're only allowed to help co-devlop raid content for FFXIV. Plus, the guy behind a lot of the Ivalice stuff is gone. 

23 minutes ago, Slumber said:

The Ivalice team has been shoved into the darkest corner of the Square offices, and they're only allowed to help co-devlop raid content for FFXIV. Plus, the guy behind a lot of the Ivalice stuff is gone. 

True, it's a good raid though...Let YoshiP lead the team it'll be fine, The story will involve you going to collect 5 items and returning to the person each time you get 1 item even when you have a long distance communication method. One day we'll get a new FFT, I'll be happy then.

10 hours ago, Tuvy said:

Yes, but then again, (at least in my opinion) Breath of The Wild didn't feel like a Zelda game.

Eh idk, I just think a fresh perspective could help, tis all.

While BoW may have not felt very "Zelda-y", it was a nice change of pace from the formula that they'd stuck with for about twenty years.  While I think, gameplay-wise, other than some balancing issues in the more recent games, Fire Emblem is generally alright, I think the story and presentation, as good as I find them, would be an interesting thing to hand over to another set of people (with some supervision, as I said) just to see the really interesting ways they could take a franchise like FE.

A lot of people seem to be forgetting that Fates's story was written by an outsider (Shin Kibayashi), with the intention of addressing the desires for a deeper and more complex story

Edited by redtutel

1 hour ago, redtutel said:

A lot of people seem to be forgetting that Fates's story was written by an outsider (Shin Kibayashi), with the intention of addressing the desires for a deeper and more complex story

I remember hearing that only bits of Shin Kibayashi's manuscript were used for Fates and had a lot of edits from others since it was made before IS decided on multiple routes and they could not get him back to revise the story.

11 hours ago, Modamy said:

I remember hearing that only bits of Shin Kibayashi's manuscript were used for Fates and had a lot of edits from others since it was made before IS decided on multiple routes and they could not get him back to revise the story.

This article seems to imply otherwise. Not to mention that from the beginning, the game was meant to be the ultimate Arran or Samson decision.