Rate the Unit, Day 92: Brave Ephraim & Brave Veronica

Shiki

Ephraim: Ephraim is a great unit! He has fantastic health, attack, and defense. His speed isn't great, but also not terrible, and with the Flame Siegmund upgrade he'll be doubling anyway so long as you position him correctly. Slapping stat-boosting skills like Fury or Death Blow on him, or giving him something like Lancebreaker, and he excels even more. His only downfall is his resistance, but a lot of units are in that same boat. 8.5/10

Julia: While not quite as excellent as Nino, Julia is a hard-hitting mage with great dragon effectiveness. Her attack is enough to deal with blue units and most green, with the added bonus of being able to deal some hefty damage to Tiki thanks to her (Julia's) weapon. She's kinda slow, though, so speedier mages like Nino will probably beat her, not to mention she's kinda hard to invest in when other options that are just as good are available at lower rarities. Still, she's a good option for a green mage. 7.5/10

• Replies 1.1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Ephraim

(disgusting)

Spoiler

Ephraim is a lot more specialized than his sister, not only having access to the same supportive role that Eirika has, but also being able to initiate deadly combat. His Attack is high, and his Defense and HP are both respectable enough to enable him to take hits better than Eirika. His speed, on the other hand, means he has to take two hits at a time, and his Resistance doesn't do him any good against mages.

Siegmund in it's base form is the same as Sieglinde, but it's refine enables Ephraim to perform a follow-up attack if his HP is higher than 90% at the start of player-phase combat. This more or less guarantees he finishes off his foe if he is built correctly. It's not as busted as Alm's Falchion refine is, but the fact it enables him to double when normally he'd need a Breaker to do that is great.

Flame Siegmund is a different story, as it takes Ephraim away from the support role into being a pure lone wolf. I personally feel he is better suited to keeping his normal Siegmund, but Flame Siegmund is not to be overlooked.

Anyways, he is just as capable of being supportive as Eirika, albeit he needs to get a Hone/Fortify/Tactics skill from inheritance unlike Eirika just having one already. While his base kit isn't that amazing, he does have Moonbow by default, helping him finish off the foe on player phase.

Ephraim is good. Amazing even, at least for an Infantry Lance. The only reason why you wouldn't use him over Eirika is because he is a 5* lock.

Rating: 8.5/10 Ephraim is just as supportive as his sister, but he is far more offensive compared to her more passive nature, holding a higher focus on power than Eirika's average tankiness and high speed. Having access to two personal weapons that enables him to double under certain circumstances is also great, given his low speed. His downfall is if you try to put him against any magical foes. He is otherwise a good all-around unit.

Julia

Spoiler

Julia is actually pretty great, despite the competition. Maybe being a raw power-high Res mage these days doesn't compare to the Blitzkrieg statspread of other Green Mages, but Julia has access to the Naga tome and it's evolution, Divine Naga, both of which give her effectiveness against Dragons.

Combined with her high Attack, Julia will have a high chance of deleting any Green and Blue dragon units before they can retaliate. I'm basing this rating on her having Divine Naga, as the Bracing Stance 1 effect just isn't that strong compared to ignoring all field buffs on an opponent.

Julia's lows are her abysmal Defense and below-average speed. Her default kit is also kinda bad, between Dragon Fang, an already weak Special compared to just running Iceberg or Glacies being put on a unit who is not likely to double many units, and Breath of Life not having that strong a healing effect or much offensive presence. But anyways, her low Defense means she has to kill the dragon she faces in one hit, otherwise she can expect to be killed due to breaths targeting the lowest defensive value on ranged units. Her below-average speed also means that even if she does survive the dragons retaliation, she can't expect to get another chance to finish them off.

One other odd point against Julia is that she is Green, which is the same color as the most dangerous dragons. While she has an advantage against the One True Blue Manakete, she is also unable to deal with the Tikis, and whether she can kill the evergrowing pool of Green Manaketes depends solely on how high you can get her Attack against the Manaketes Resistance.

So Julia is more or less expected to be a one hit Dragon killer, because that's what her Attack stat and tome are calling out for. Enabling her to get those kills on dragons is important, as she won't get another chance, but damnation come to Naga's name if she doesn't do that job well.

Rating: 7/10 Julia is a powerful Dragon killer, which are threatening units, but what holds her back from being the best is her low Defense and Speed meaning she has to kill the dragon in one hit, else she IS going to die.  But her high Attack does mean that she can net the kill if she needs to. Being Green does mean she has no advantage against the growing Green Manakete pool, but that doesn't stop her killing potential.

Ephraim - I've had this guy for a year and have never been impressed to be honest. His attack and Def are just Donnel while his legendary variant has marginally better stats, self sufficient healing with his personal skill and the earth buff support. Being a horse may suck in the Arena due to the frequency of trenches, but being infantry is probably the second largest handicap overall. Ephraim's got a poor enemy phase by being blown up by mages and more importantly manaketes. And he can't match up to Lukas' physical bulk. ____ Boost skills are viable on Ephraim due to his above average health, but you're better off focusing on player or enemy phase when it comes to his A skill. Infantry Pulse support is also viable on him, or you can give him Hone Speed so that he can also be Nino's best friend. If he grabs Flame Siegmund, then he'd better forego the act of supporting or being supported since he can't chill near his team. Flame Siegmund grants +3 attack making Ephraim a great Heavy Blade user since he'll finally be above the other generic 35 attack personal weapon melee units. 7 out of 10. Extremely versatile build potential but he's mostly carried by the extremely low volume of good lance users compared to other weapon types.

Julia - I don't own her but I do have Deirdre. Julia is one of two non red units with effective damage against manaketes. It's a shame then that manaketes will target her Def. Julia packs slightly higher attack, but her mother has two more points in speed and three more in Res. Green Tome is also the most consistent color of good units so the anti dragon niche is a valuable crutch. Ignoring enemy buffs is also a neat perk. 6 out of 10 for meta relevancy, but her matchups are quite poor even with the speed superboon.

Edited by Glennstavos

Ephraim the vastly inferior twin. He has a very good stat spread with high Hp/Atk/Def and terrible Spd/Res. This alone makes him a pretty good physical tank on par with the likes of Donnel so he'll do a good job with the generic lance builds. What gives him a bump from good to great is his Prf weapon Siegmund. In it's vanilla form it has Hone Atk 2 built-in allows Ephraim to be a good buffbot for blade tome mages which enhances his utility above his other lance peers, when refined Siegmund obtains a effect that lets him double the opponent as long as his Hp is above 90% and he's the one that initiates combat. This alone lets him be a very dangerous unit as he'll be able to do massive amounts of damage during his first encounter. If that isn't enough he also has access to Flame Siegmund which lets him double as long as there are less allies than enemies within 2 spaces of Ephraim and his target, this is a bit harder to pull off as the benefits of sticking together are too good in this game. Regardless, Ephraim is a pretty powerful unit and his only downside is that he doesn't do too hot against dragons (and mages, but he shouldn't be taking a hit from them ever). 

Rating: 8/10

Julia. The premier Reinhardt counter. Her stats focus on Atk/Res while having decent Hp, mediocre Spd and terrible Def. Her Prf weapon, Naga, lets her tank a bit better thanks to the +2 Def/Res she gets during the enemy phase. It also has effectiveness against dragons making her a decent dragon check. She also has the option of going for her Sidegrade Divine Naga which nullifies every Hone/Fortify buff the enemy has, this shuts down every blade tome user and with Julia's great Res it'll be almost impossible for them to take her down without a charged special. About dragons, Julia is capable of destroying every blue dragon and dealing heavy damage to green dragons, the problem is that the Breath refinements allow them to target her pathetic Res which means that if Julia is unable of OHKOing them then they're going to kill her on their counterattack. Julia is weak against every kind of melee unit and Archers so one should focus on using her as a mage tank and Nowi counter as those two jobs are where she shines the brightest.

Rating: 6/10

Edited by Alexmender

@The Priest I fixed up Odin & Robin's scores. Let me know if I missed any of the others.

Ephraim

• Physical stat line featuring good HP and Atk, decent Def, and low Spd and Res.
    • Siegmund (built-in Hone Atk 2) is a strong support weapon. Its refinements upgrade the built-in Hone Atk from lv. 2 to lv. 3. The effect refinement (automatic follow-up when attacking with 90%+ HP) provides him with a very powerful offensive tool.
    • Access to Flame Siegmund (Attack +3, automatic follow-up when the number of enemies besides his target within 2 spaces is at least equal to the number of allies within 2 spaces) provides him with another powerful, more consistent offensive tool. However, he must sacrifice the buff capabilities he gets from regular Siegmund.
    • Near-perfect red and very strong blue offense matchups with Siegmund (Eff), Moonbow, Death Blow, and Wrath. After the first round, he can still drop some Wrath-boosted Moonbow OHKOs on this same enemy group (mostly Reds), but must wait an extra turn for Moonbow to fully charge. He can instead use Sturdy Blow, Renewal, and the Attack/Def +2 seal for a smidgen fewer KOs, but better sustainability; his Def is high enough to avoid taking so much damage from Swords, and some Lances, that one Renewal activation will not restore him to 90%+ HP (barring the opponent activating a Special on the counterattack). He can also use Flame Siegmund instead of regular Siegmund, which opens up Desperation (his Atk his good enough that he can straight-up 2HKO plenty of foes) and/or Galeforce+Heavy Blade (seal) options. He will take a good chunk of damage from counterattacks from dragons and Close Counter tomes.
    • Very strong one-range red and blue matchups on defense with a Steady Breath set. He cannot counter at range with this set, and will take a lot of damage and quite possibly die to mages.
  • Siegmund is a great support weapon. His HP is high enough to provide Panic Ploy support.

Overall, I give him 8.5 for combat (near-perfect red, very strong blue matchups on offense with Siegmund (Eff), but may not be prepared to fight every turn), and 2.5 for support (basic field/combat buff, extra buff potential through Siegmund, Panic Ploy capability), for a total rating of 8.5/10.

I had a couple choices here...give him 9/10 combat and 1/3 support for his Flame Siegmund set, or 8.5/10 combat (slight docking for being less sustainable) and 2.5/3 support. Both of them come out to 8.5 with my weighting system. I'd better go add Attack/Def +2 to his seal options in the Analysis thread...

Julia

• Magically bulky stat line featuring good Atk and Res, low Spd, and very low Def.
    • Naga (effective against dragons, Def/Res+2 when attacked) provides her with a valuable dragon-checking combat niche. The light Res boost can also help her check enemy mages.
    • Access to Divine Naga (effective against dragons, negates enemy field buffs) allows her to maintain her dragon-checking niche and additionally ignore all field buffs on all enemies she fights.
    • Poor blue & green matchups on offense, hampered by her low Spd. She does, however, do a good job of eliminating blue & green dragons, notably OHKOing Myrrh and many Robin (Fell Reincarnation) variants.
    • Very strong 2-range blue and green matchups on defense. Her ability to ignore field buffs with Divine Naga eliminates much of the threat carried by -blade tome carrying foes.
  • She can use stat Ploys fairly well with her Res stat.

Overall, I give her 7 for combat (very strong 2-range blue and green matchups on defense, cannot counter melee foes, bonus for having a useful combat niche), and 1 for support (basic field/combat buff, ploy capability), for a total rating of 6.5/10.

I applied a 1.5-point penalty for being unable to counter melee foes when evaluating her combat score, which is harsher than the penalty I assess to melee units that cannot counter at range. One interesting thing to note is that you can actually bring Julia's Spd to serviceable levels for doubling foes, especially if you have her drop a Spd Ploy on them, because she can take a Spd field buff and ignore theirs. It requires some pretty specific setup though, and depends partially on what score range she's fighting in (for example, it's a lot easier at the top of the score ranges where DC and Breaths are common, and Spd-boosting A passives and seals are rare), so I did not consider it when evaluating her combat performance. I wish I could though...I actually ran that setup for many Arena seasons and was never disappointed with it; it would probably bump her score up 1-2 points.

~

Scoring method:

Spoiler

Units are evaluated based on both their combat performance and their team support capabilities (i.e. their whole contribution to a team).

• Combat performance is judged by matchups, especially against enemies that are at triangle disadvantage or neutral to the unit. Performance against more relevant meta threats is more valuable than performance against units that are rarely seen. Triangle Adept sets are not considered, though they might be noted. Scale of 0 to 10.
    • Sustainability and filling a useful niche are given small bonuses, when applicable.
    • I will look at least one PP-focused and one EP-focused skill set for each unit, but only evaluate based on performance for whichever phase I deem the unit to be stronger on.
  • Support capabilities are decided by how much support a unit can provide (without horribly compromising their combat capabilities), and how valuable I feel that support is. Scale of 0 to 3.
  • At the end, the combat and support scores will be weighted (with a heavy focus on combat performance), combined, and rounded to the nearest .5 to obtain the total rating. Dancers and Singers will get +1 point to their total rating (not to exceed 10), because I value Dance/Sing utility highly.

This method of evaluation essentially compares each unit to a hypothetical "god unit" who is stellar at everything, instead of each unit to each other.

All my ratings.

Edited by LordFrigid

• Ephraim: What Eirika can do, Ephraim can also do but is more offensive oriented, has a high attack stat, great defense stat to take hits from red units and some blue units, his weapon, unlike Eirika's, has two refinements, allowing him to double his opponents depending on whether he has high HP or is alone, there's a few crazy sets with his first refinement, this instantly fixes his low speed stat and can work as an offensive support, only mayor problem aside from his low speed is his resistance, so he can't take many magical hits, he can be very dangerous if given the correct skills, and he won't pick fights he can't win , 8/10

• Julia: We needed a dragon slayer for blue dragons and we got Naga which will boost her defenses by 2, which can evolve into Divine Naga to negate any and all field buffs, Julia has attack and resistance to take care of dragons and almost any blue unit she battles, like all mages, her defense is pathetic and can't take a hit from any unit with Distant Counter and with weapon refinery, it's harder for her to take hits from Lightning Breath dragons, so she needs to one-shot the dragons, so she's good against dragons and blue units, only average on everything else, she's been killing all Reinhardt's since 2017, pick one while she's available, 6/10

Ephraim - The more offensive version of Eir (in more ways than one).  His unique refine turns him into a player-phase nuke - so long as his HP is high!  He can safely dump speed, because who cares when you do automatic follow-ups?  While he wants nothing to do with mages, he'll be able to tank most swords (well, not Karla or a couple of +Atk outliers).  Are there better options?  Yep.  But I think he can still hold his own, and the attack buff he hands out is just gravy.  7/10

Julia - The original Naga nuke.  She's the answer to Nowi/female Corrin/male Kana/Ninian.  Her base attack is great, her resistance isn't far behind, and everything else is mediocre or worse.  She can safely take -Spd and QR, and bait blue spellcasters/staffbots.  If the enemy team lacks these, she'll just have to find an opening and contribute some heavy chip damage.  If she's +Spd, slap Fury on her - that's a superboon!  Best at nuking on EP, but can contribute outside of that. . .if those enemies show up, that is.  7/10

Rating criteria 

Spoiler

Combat ratings:

10: Extremely strong, shapes the meta around themselves. Requires using niche units to counter. Very few units will fall into this tier.

9: Not quite meta defining but still very strong units with great combat performance against common arena threats and no glaring flaws.

8: Solid units that provide good coverage against their own colour and the one they are strong against, but can be countered by some units of the colour they are weak against.

7: Units that provide a unique form of utility be it buffs, debuffs or being anti meta while also being a decent combatant that can hold their own in a fight.

6: Units that provide similar utility as a tier 7, but are outclassed in combat and will require support or heavy investment to contribute outside of their niche role.

5: Middling units that are outclassed but can still perform decently with investment. Not excellent but not horrible either. Can sometimes serve a niche role.

4: Borderline units that serve as a poor man's version of another unit (basically completely outclassed). Can achieve similar performance as a tier 5 but requires significantly more investment.

3: Units that have poor performance against their own colour and are countered by pretty much anyone with triangle advantage. Can only really achieve anything against units they have an advantage over.

2: Units who often fail to kill even enemies they have triangle advantage over even with investment. Generally not worth using.

1: Bottom of the barrel units that not only perform poorly but are a handicap to the player's team. No amount of investment can save them.

Made some changes to better use the .5 gaps between my ratings:

+0.5

Hone/Drive utility. Seasonal weapons with hones and drives will not be considered except on the source unit as per my standard.

Healing utility (not for staff units). Mostly for the falchion users and maybe Arvis

Chill and Possibly ploy utility, depending on how GHBs will be rated

Also modified my dancer bonus to give +2 only to flying dancers. Infantry dancers get +1.5 instead due to lack of guidance utility.

Dedicated team requirements.

Buff dependence. (Mostly for mediocre Atk bladetome users)

Applied only if there is a significant difference in combat performance with and without the mentioned factors

And now finally the unit I've been waiting forever to rate

Ephraim

Some units get powercrept as time goes on. Ephraim however, has gotten stronger after both major unit building changes. After SI, he was able to replicate Eirika's buffing niche, and refinery gave him one of the best upgrades with automatic follow up attacks at 90% HP and above. This makes his poor speed mostly irrelevant, giving him great matchups against red and blue units with deathblow. It synergizes well with his high Atk and Def, making his once mediocre statline surprisingly optimised for his new role.

He was also the first unit to get both a sidegrade and upgrade, after getting access to flame Siegmund, allowing him to run a mixed phase build, and unlike his mounted version, can use steady breath and wrath. However aside from player phase utility, his enemy phase performance doesn't quite match up to Lukas and Shiro, and loses his buffing utility.

He does falter against defensive greens and can't take a magical hit, limiting his enemy phase, but as long as you don't pick fights you can't win, he'll be fine.

Though the thing I like most is how easy it is to slot him into a team, as he covers both blue offense and buff support, and doesn't require a dedicated team setup. 

combat rating of 8, +0.5 for buffing utility for a final rating of 8.5. 

(Eirika didn't get the +0.5 as the -0.5 from needing a specific team setup balanced it out)

Julia

I've grown quite fond of using her as well. Back during Reinhardt's reign of terror she was basically the premier counter to him, though those days are sadly over.

Julia has high Atk and Res, middling to poor speed and paper thin def. Her speed limits her player phase performance, mostly relegating her role to enemy phase mage tank. Naga's defensive buff isn't much so I'll only consider divine Naga here, which negates enemy buffs, neutralising bladetomes and hone based emblem teams.

Dragon effectiveness is also a really useful bonus due to how common they are. She easily one shots most blue dragon builds that aren't optimised for magic tanking, and can usually one shot green dragons after a hone buff. However, she can fail to one shot red dragons and if she can't kill them, will die from the counterattack due to adaptive damage+QR, unless the dragon isn't running LB+ or some form of DC.

As far as competition goes, there are many better candidates for the green slot on a team, but she does have her uses.

7/10, dragonslaying utility and great matchups against green and blue mages makes her a good pick for arena assault if nothing else.

Edited by Korath88

My post got sucked into captcha hell. Now I've lost everything I wrote about Ephraim and Julia. *SALT*

If anyone is interested I would have given Ephraim a 8 for strong player phase and buff capability, Julia a 6.5 for dragon slaying.

Ephraim: 8.0
Julia: 6.63

Moving on to Sibling Bonds.

Eldigan, Lionheart

Spoiler

Max. Stats:
42/45/48
29/32/35
21/24/28
31/34/37
15/19/22

Base Skills:

Mystletainn ( Accelerates Special trigger (cooldown count-1). )
( - )
Growing Light

Fury 3
Lunge
( - )

Sanaki, Begnion's Apostle

Spoiler

Max. Stats:
30/33/36
34/37/40
23/26/30
13/17/20
31/34/37

Base Skills:

Cymbeline ( If unit initiates combat, grants Atk+4 to adjacent allies for 1 turn after combat. )
Harsh Command
( - )

Triangle Adept
( - )
Hone Atk

Eldigan - I will abstain since I haven't pulled him or his kid (damnit I voted for Ares to get in for both CYLs). I've got a lot of experience using sword cavs but none are quite like Eldigan's bizarre stats and weapon. I will say I like the speed superboon on him allowing him to avoid doubles and hit the same high BST tier as later, powercreeped sword cavs.

Sanaki - I also haven't pulled her, but she's basically Lilina with a different personal weapon.She ties for the highest Attack stat of her class, and she's one point behind on highest Res stat. Cymbeline doesn't have Forblaze's incredible OHKO potential, but you could always give her a blade tome if you value that. What Cymbeline does grant is Drive Attack with a Atk/Res boost near a flying ally. Whether it's Cymbeline or Blade tome with tactics skills, she's going on a mixed emblem team. I rate her a 6.5 out of 10. One notch lower than Lilina who requires no team synergy to nuke with Forblaze.

Past Ratings

Spoiler
  1. Alfonse - 3
  2. Marth - 7
  3. Sharena - 3
  4. Jagen - 1
  5. Anna - 4.5
  6. Barst - 3
  7. Cain - 4
  8. Draug - 7.5
  9. Gordin - 5
  10. Jeorge - 5.5
  11. Abel - 5.5
  12. Linde - 9
  13. Minerva - Abstain
  14. Merric - 3.5
  15. Maria - 6
  16. Wrys - 3.5
  17. Ceada - Abstain
  18. Ogma - 4
  19. Catria - 4
  20. Est - 6
  21. Sheena - 6.5
  22. Cecilia - 4
  23. Clarine - 6.5
  24. Matthew - 4
  25. Palla - 2.5
  26. Roy -7
  27. Gwendolyn - 7.5
  28. Shanna - 4.5
  29. Bartre - 7
  30. Fae - 7.5
  31. Serra - 4
  32. Lissa - 2
  33. Y!Tiki - 8
  34. Lilina - 7
  35. Florina - 1.5
  36. M!Robin - 3.5
  37. Hector - 8
  38. Raven - 8.5
  39. Gaius - 4 
  40. Virion - 3.5
  41. Raigh - 1.5
  42. Sophia - 3.5
  43. Sully -2.5
  44. Cordelia -7
  45. Hawkeye - 5.5
  46. Nino - 8
  47. Felicia - 6.5
  48. Jakob - 1
  49. Fir - 4
  50. Eliwood - 5.5
  51. Donnel - 3.5
  52. Nowi - 8.5
  53. Frederick - 6.5
  54. Cherche - 7.5
  55. Saizo - 4
  56. Kagero - 4.5
  57. Lyn - 7
  58. Chrom - 5
  59. F!Corrin - 7
  60. Azura - 6.5
  61. Gunter - 3
  62. Camilla - 5.5
  63. Azama - 6.5
  64. Setsuna - 3.5
  65. Stahl - 2.5
  66. Lonqu - 3
  67. Hinoka - 7.5
  68. Oboro - 2.5
  69. Beruka - 6
  70. Arthur - 2
  71. Takumi - 5.5
  72. Sakura - 3
  73. Olivia - 7
  74. Henry - 2
  75. Subaki - 4.5
  76. Peri - 6.5
  77. Niles - 1.5
  78. Elise - 7.5
  79. Tharja - 5
  80. A!Tiki - 8
  81. Odin - 1 
  82. Effie - 7.5
  83. Lucina - 7
  84. M!Corrin - 6
  85. Ryoma - 5.5
  86. Hinata - 4.5
  87. Hana - 5.5
  88. Laslow - 3
  89. Selena - 2
  90. Leo - 2
  91. Eirika - 5
  92. Seliph - 5.5
  93. Ephraim - 7
  94. Julia - 6
  95. Eldigan - Abstain
  96. Sanaki - 6.5

Ratings I would change in retrospect: Gordin would be a 2.5, Cain would be a 3.5, Linde would be 7. And I'd drop Matthew and Saizo to 3.5. Beruka would be a 7. Caeda I'd rate a 5.5 now that I've been using her at 5 star. And Leo I'd bump up to a 3.

Edited by Glennstavos

27 minutes ago, Glennstavos said:

Eldigan - I will abstain since I haven't pulled him or his kid (damnit I voted for Ares to get in for both CYLs). I've got a lot of experience using sword cavs but none are quite like Eldigan's bizarre stats and weapon. I will say I like the speed superboon on him allowing him to avoid doubles and hit the same high BST tier as later, powercreeped sword cavs.

Good luck with Ares!  I hope you pull him, and he's +Atk!

Ahem. . .

Eldigan - Second-lowest attack among red cavalry, and a speed stat that wishes that his Atk was higher so that he could wield a Brave Sword. . .oh, wait, I'm being somewhat dishonest again~!  Even if having the second-lowest attack among sword cavalry is true, that's still a 32 base - which is quite literally the middle of the pack for infantry sword users.  His gimmick is Mystletainn, which gives him innate Fury.  This opens up a lot of possibilities.  Jack a Brazen skill from his kid, and combined with Mystletainn's Fury, you're looking at 58 Attack backed up by 41 Defense when both are active.  Or, if you're lucky enough to snag +Spd, grab Linus' Brazen instead, for 58 Attack and 38 Speed.  Thanks to the Brazen skills, he has a lot more options.  Or he can go back to dealing 12 damage to himself with multiple Fury skills.  Can abuse Galeforce like no one's business, too.  Just keep him away from mages, and he'll be fine.  8/10 for flexibility's sake, and y'all are in for worse when it's Ares' turn.

Sanaki - Way back when, she tied Lilina for the most base Attack out of all red mages.  Today, that still holds true.  Now that both of them have unique weapons, Lilina's is focused on her taking the enemy down, while Sanaki's is a bit more team-oriented.  She can safely bait a surprising number of mages (neutral Sanaki with Fury, QR3, and DD3 died to four blue tomes. . .vanilla, of course).  Her downside is that she needs a flying ally to bring out her full potential. . .oh, and she's slow, and can't take a physical/dragon hit.  6.5/10, because of that flying thing (otherwise, she'd be on par with Julia)

Eldigan the furious man. He has a physical tank-like spread with High Hp/Def, above average Atk and bad Spd/Res. His main perk before the weapon refinery came was having a 16 Mt Killing Edge which allowed him to abuse high CD specials like Ignis and Bonfire to deal lots of damage. He was starting to show his age when his Prf weapon Mystletainn got a refinement that granted him Fury 3, this improves his stat spread across the board making him a better tank while also opening his A-slot to try a lot of different builds like Fury x2, Fury+LnD, etc which allow him to run a wild variety of builds ranging from full tank to a sweeper. Despite this he falls a little short when compared to Sigurd/Xander as tanky sword cavaliers and B!Roy/Siegbert/Ares as a pure offensive cavalier. Eldigan is pretty good and will do a wonderful job to cover your tank or offense needs but he's not really relevant in the current meta.

Rating: 6.5/10

I'll abstain from voting for Sanaki as I don't have a clear idea of how much her flying bond refine improves her performance.

Eldigan

• Stat line focused on physical aspects, with good HP and Def, decent Atk, low Spd, and poor Res.
    • Mystletainn (Accelerates Special trigger) is a solid weapon, and its effect refinement (built-in Fury 3) provides an extra boost to his stat line.
    • He can be surprisingly fast with a Spd-stacking set and Hone Cavalry, with strong green and mediocre red matchups. 40-44 Def (depending on merge level) before buffs with 2x Fury is nothing to sneeze at either, and will prevent a lot of damage from Axe-wielding foes.
    • Very strong green, strong red matchups on defense with a Distant Counter set with Cavalry buffs, but he will take a lot of damage from mages and dragons. He will also take damage after combat from Mystletainn (Eff), making the set fairly unsustainable against non-Axe users..
  • As a cavalry unit, he can provide a cavalry field/combat buff for his allies. He is a capable Panic Ploy user with his good HP.

Overall, I give him 7.5 for combat (very strong green, strong red matchups on defense, but buff dependent and difficult to maintain), and 1.5 for support (cavalry field/combat buff, Panic Ploy capability), for a total rating of 7/10.

Another sword, another 7. I took off .5 from his combat score for buff dependence and the fact that his defensive capabilities, while good, are quite unsustainable.

Sanaki

• Stat line focused on magical aspects, with high Atk, good Res, low Spd, and very low Def.
    • Cymbeline (+4 Atk field buff to adjacent allies after initiating combat) is a lackluster personal tome. Its refinements remove its base effect and add built-in Drive Atk 2. The effect refinement (Atk/Res+5 when within 2 spaces of a flying ally) is a powerful offensive and/or mage-checking tool.
    • Very strong green and decent but shaky red OHKO capability on offense with an Atk-stacking set. Distant Def reds will give her grief. Sustainable by virtue of the fact that she OHKOs foes.
    • Very strong matchups against tome-carrying foes on defense, stacking Distant Def and the Atk/Res+5 boost from being near a flier.
  • Capable stat Ploy user, with good Res. Refined Cymbeline also provides her allies with a powerful combat buff. Her B passive is quite flexible, so she can provide additional debuff support through a Chill, if desired.

Overall, I give her 8 for combat (very strong green, decent but shaky red OHKO capability, sustainability bonus), and 2.5 for support (basic field/combat buff, ploy capability, extra combat buff capability with refined Cymbeline, chill potential), for a total rating of 8/10.

Lilina-like OHKO capabilities (a difference of one point of Atk) gives her effectively the same matchups. Sanaki really benefits from having the team's flier carrying Guidance and Spur Atk. The flier requirement for Sanaki is a minor inhibition, but not one that I feel uncomfortable with assuming when evaluating her combat performance. Revisiting that Lilina write-up, it looks like I made her combat score a smidgen too high and her support score a smidgen too low, fortunately the math still works out to a total rating of 8 (yay rounding!).

~

Scoring method:

Spoiler

Units are evaluated based on both their combat performance and their team support capabilities (i.e. their whole contribution to a team).

• Combat performance is judged by matchups, especially against enemies that are at triangle disadvantage or neutral to the unit. Performance against more relevant meta threats is more valuable than performance against units that are rarely seen. Triangle Adept sets are not considered, though they might be noted. Scale of 0 to 10.
    • Sustainability and filling a useful niche are given small bonuses, when applicable.
    • I will look at least one PP-focused and one EP-focused skill set for each unit, but only evaluate based on performance for whichever phase I deem the unit to be stronger on.
  • Support capabilities are decided by how much support a unit can provide (without horribly compromising their combat capabilities), and how valuable I feel that support is. Scale of 0 to 3.
  • At the end, the combat and support scores will be weighted (with a heavy focus on combat performance), combined, and rounded to the nearest .5 to obtain the total rating. Dancers and Singers will get +1 point to their total rating (not to exceed 10), because I value Dance/Sing utility highly.

This method of evaluation essentially compares each unit to a hypothetical "god unit" who is stellar at everything, instead of each unit to each other.

All my ratings.

Eldigan

Spoiler

Setting Eldigan apart from other Sword Cavs is... not much. Average Attack, pretty good Defense, bad Speed and Resistance, and the higher than usual HP these early units are almost known for.

Mystletainn isn't all that exciting a weapon either. At the time, it was just a stronger Killing Edge. It's refine is inotable at least, as it grants Fury 3 without taking up the A slot, permitting the stacking of Fury 3 or taking Distant Counter.

Eldigan is VERY similar to Xander. As in, Xander is basically Eldigan with a +Def -Res/HP nature and a DC weapon that doesn't have the Special Charge modifier. This works to Eldigans favor if you are willing to give him Distant Counter, but otherwise you'd just be using Xander.

Besides that, Eldigan's power and bulk don't quite live up to the standards of most other powerful or bulky walls, at least for how much speed he has. He can be bulky, sure, but he also has to compete with Sigurd, who is just as bulky but with more power, speed, AND the ability to negate most forms of magic.

What Eldigan has going for him is that he can run DC and the Fury skill at the same time while still having quicker Special triggers, but that's not much of a thing to have going for you when other Sword Cavs have much nicer-looking niches.

Use Eldigan if you are in need of some extra bulk, not if you want an offensive powerhourse or anything like that.

Rating: 5.5/10 Eldigan hasn't really aged well, even after the upgrade to his Mystletainn. What he does is very similar to what a free unit does, and also to a unit who is better in all the right ways. If you get pity broken by him, he can still be used, but maybe don't go actively hunting for him.

Sanaki

Spoiler

Sanaki is very similar to Lilina. Same quite high Attack stats, but Sanaki is very slightly faster with more Resistance. Less HP and Defense, but nobody is missing either one on her.

For a long time, Sanaki had a very useless personal weapon in Cymbeline, which doesn't even have a unique sprite even after getting refined by the way, all they did was turn up the bloom or saturation or whatever. All it did was trigger Hone Attack 3 on any units who happened to be standing next to Sanaki when she attacked. Sanaki also comes with Hone Attack 3 by default, so the only reason you would even keep Cymbeline is if you didn't have the ability to give her Raudhrblade+.

Thank god for the weapon refinery, because she now has Drive Atk 2 built into her weapon, which stacks with both the C passive and Sacred Seal for a large 9 Attack combat buff, as long as she remained within reach of the benefactor. She also can get Atk/Res Flier Bond built in, boosting her two highest stats (her Res is higher than her HP, how funny) by 5 so long as she remain within reach of a Flier unit.

This does limit her teammate flexibility a little, but it also opens up flier shenanigans where Sanaki is dancing around the battlefield because her friend has the Guidance skill. And also, it makes Sanaki into a one-hit wonder, between 54 power with a +Atk nature, a possible +6 with Death Blow, or +5 with Atk/Res bond, and another +5 with Flier Bond.

Her Resistance is also high enough even neutrally that she can run a Ploy skill, should you want to boost her own killing potential over an allies, and still take hits from mages relatively well.

What sets Sanaki back from being the best Red Mage is her bad speed, meaning she has to do her job in one hit or potentially suffer. What also hurts is how bad her Defense is, in tandem with her bad HP which only barely avoids reaching 29-and-under range. Leaving her anywhere near a melee, bow/dagger, or Dragon is asking for her to be killed in one hit. These are problems she shares with some other mages, but with how low her HP is it's especially noticeable here.

She's amazing with her strong potential support and her high potential Attack. Pair her with the right Flier, and let the Apostle drop the sun on some punks.

Rating: 7/10 Sanaki has a great Attack stat, which can be boosted with Cymbeline's refine and the right A skill. Her support game can be amazingly high between refined Cymbeline and Drive Atk stacking, or running with Ploy skills. Her defensive game is limited to mages and not much else. She's also slow enough that most units can double her and kill her anyways. But as a OHKO mage, she has some potential.

2 hours ago, Alexmender said:

Eldigan the furious man. He has a physical tank-like spread with High Hp/Def, above average Atk and bad Spd/Res. His main perk before the weapon refinery came was having a 16 Mt Killing Edge which allowed him to abuse high CD specials like Ignis and Bonfire to deal lots of damage. He was starting to show his age when his Prf weapon Mystletainn got a refinement that granted him Fury 3, this improves his stat spread across the board making him a better tank while also opening his A-slot to try a lot of different builds like Fury x2, Fury+LnD, etc which allow him to run a wild variety of builds ranging from full tank to a sweeper. Despite this he falls a little short when compared to Sigurd/Xander as tanky sword cavaliers and B!Roy/Siegbert/Ares as a pure offensive cavalier. Eldigan is pretty good and will do a wonderful job to cover your tank or offense needs but he's not really relevant in the current meta.

I'd agree with this assessment and I'd rate Eldigan a 6/10

Abstain from Sanaki, I have not summoned her yet.

Eldigan: 6.60
Sanaki: 7.0

Oh, boy, here it comes.

Reinhardt, Thunder's Fist

Spoiler

Max. Stats:
34/38/41
29/32/35
20/23/26
23/27/30
22/25/28

Base Skills:

Dire Thunder
( - )
Blazing Thunder

( - )
Vantage
Goad Cavalry

Olwen, Blue Mage Knight

Spoiler

Max. Stats:
31/34/37
23/26/30
31/34/37
17/20/23
27/30/33

Base Skills:

Dire Thunder
Reposition
( - )

Warding Blow
( - )
Ward Cavalry

Reinhardt gets a 9/10.

He's incredibly easy to use for anyone, and is kind of hard to fuck up outside of his common counters coming into play, but you have ways to deal with them.

Literally just wants Death Blows and maybe lancebreaker or some other shit for B slot. His C slot can be a horse buff or threaten res or some shit. 

I mean once you pull him, the game just gets even easier. Especially if you pull him early on lol.

Olwen-Don't have her, but I'm going to guess she's about an 8/10 since she's locked to 5* and has lower attack. Quadding's nice I suppose.

Oh boy, this one is going to be trouble.

Reinhardt Mr.Tiny hands. He has a semi offensive tank spread with above average Atk, Def and Res, low Hp and pathetic Spd. This lets him be a pretty good user of CC+Raven or Owl tomes but blue mages aren't that good when it comes to these kinds of builds compared to their red and green counterparts. Due to being a horse he'll do well with a OHKO Blade tome build but his low Spd means that if he's unable to defeat the enemy in one hit he's going to die on retaliation. That should cover the generic builds part. 5/10

Now onto the meaty stuff. This man alone shaped the meta for about 8~10 months until the release of B!Lyn who became more dominant thanks to her busted skills, and even with her around Reinhardt was still a huge threat. His Prf weapon Dire Thunder may not seem as much at first glance with it's low Mt, but a Brave Weapon that targets Res proved to be too much. Reinhardt wasn't that great when he released and while SI gave him a huge spike in power thanks to Death Blow further increasing his Atk it wasn't until the first arena score changes that put a bigger emphasis on Merges and SP costs than BST that Reinhardt went from a very powerful yet underused unit to the scourge of the arena. He doesn't need suppport to destroy his enemies, having it just makes him an even bigger threat. He is so strong that even the braindead AI is capable of destroying the player with Reinhardt. On the player hands he's practically a "I win" button. He's so good that the meta warped to always have a counter for him ready at all times. The weapon refinery and the general increase in bulk did little to stop his prowress but IS didn't want him and Lyn dominating everything so they introduced Trenches which is the main thing that nerfed horses (at least when it comes to defense teams). This guy just a bit below Bold Fighter in the broken scale which should tell a lot about his power. 

Rating: 9.5/10 (Honestly, this man would stay at 10/10 but trenches really hurt).

Olwen. Her stats focus on Spd and Res while being mediocre everywhere else. Like her brother she has the Prf Dire Thunder, sadly her low Atk coupled with the tome's low Mt make it pretty hard for her to deal damage outside of specials. Thanks to her relatively high Spd she makes a great user of Blárblade+ in a Horse team which can be considered her best build. Despite her superboon in Atk her damage will be lacking outside of Blade tome craziness. She's a decent unit and will work wonders with proper investment and teammates but she's not that special when the blue mage horse spot will be taken by her brother 90% of the time.

Rating: 7/10

Reinhardt - Has a higher than normal BST tier as long as you avoid the Def or HP superbanes. Add his personal weapon and you won't lose terribly much from your arena score by fielding Reinhardt. Blue tome cav is a pretty stacked class where only Ursula lacks a personal weapon. If we're judging on personal weapons, I feel Reinhardt is still the most impressive of these units since it's still the only magic attacking brave weapon in the game. But he's not the best blade tome user as that honor would go to Spring Catria or L'Arachel depending on if you value attack or speed stats more. Reinhardt also has some of the best defense of blue tomes, but his low speed hurts his ability to survive engagements. 8 out of 10. Only held back by low arena scoring and the arena being so anti-cavalry. 

Olwen - Can also reach a higher BST tier thanks to a very relevant attack superboon. Olwen could use a blade tome to catch up on damage, but picking it over Dire Thunder hurts her arena score. Olwen no longer has the highest speed of her class, and Spring Catria also packs more attack to boot. I would actually recommend sticking to Dire Thunder. Olwen can make use of her 30 Res and hit Reinhardt's damage values by equipping Res Ploy. 5.5 out of 10. Outclassed by later blue tome cavs, but can masquerade as her brother thanks to the attack boon and Res Ploy. She can also probably survive a mage, but not a manakete anymore. 

Past Ratings

Spoiler
  1. Alfonse - 3
  2. Marth - 7
  3. Sharena - 3
  4. Jagen - 1
  5. Anna - 4.5
  6. Barst - 3
  7. Cain - 4
  8. Draug - 7.5
  9. Gordin - 5
  10. Jeorge - 5.5
  11. Abel - 5.5
  12. Linde - 9
  13. Minerva - Abstain
  14. Merric - 3.5
  15. Maria - 6
  16. Wrys - 3.5
  17. Ceada - Abstain
  18. Ogma - 4
  19. Catria - 4
  20. Est - 6
  21. Sheena - 6.5
  22. Cecilia - 4
  23. Clarine - 6.5
  24. Matthew - 4
  25. Palla - 2.5
  26. Roy -7
  27. Gwendolyn - 7.5
  28. Shanna - 4.5
  29. Bartre - 7
  30. Fae - 7.5
  31. Serra - 4
  32. Lissa - 2
  33. Y!Tiki - 8
  34. Lilina - 7
  35. Florina - 1.5
  36. M!Robin - 3.5
  37. Hector - 8
  38. Raven - 8.5
  39. Gaius - 4 
  40. Virion - 3.5
  41. Raigh - 1.5
  42. Sophia - 3.5
  43. Sully -2.5
  44. Cordelia -7
  45. Hawkeye - 5.5
  46. Nino - 8
  47. Felicia - 6.5
  48. Jakob - 1
  49. Fir - 4
  50. Eliwood - 5.5
  51. Donnel - 3.5
  52. Nowi - 8.5
  53. Frederick - 6.5
  54. Cherche - 7.5
  55. Saizo - 4
  56. Kagero - 4.5
  57. Lyn - 7
  58. Chrom - 5
  59. F!Corrin - 7
  60. Azura - 6.5
  61. Gunter - 3
  62. Camilla - 5.5
  63. Azama - 6.5
  64. Setsuna - 3.5
  65. Stahl - 2.5
  66. Lonqu - 3
  67. Hinoka - 7.5
  68. Oboro - 2.5
  69. Beruka - 6
  70. Arthur - 2
  71. Takumi - 5.5
  72. Sakura - 3
  73. Olivia - 7
  74. Henry - 2
  75. Subaki - 4.5
  76. Peri - 6.5
  77. Niles - 1.5
  78. Elise - 7.5
  79. Tharja - 5
  80. A!Tiki - 8
  81. Odin - 1 
  82. Effie - 7.5
  83. Lucina - 7
  84. M!Corrin - 6
  85. Ryoma - 5.5
  86. Hinata - 4.5
  87. Hana - 5.5
  88. Laslow - 3
  89. Selena - 2
  90. Leo - 2
  91. Eirika - 5
  92. Seliph - 5.5
  93. Ephraim - 7
  94. Julia - 6
  95. Eldigan - Abstain
  96. Sanaki - 6.5
  97. Reinhardt - 8
  98. Olwen - 5.5

Ratings I would change in retrospect: Gordin would be a 2.5, Cain would be a 3.5, Cecilia would be a 3.5. Linde would be 7. And I'd drop Matthew and Saizo to 3.5. Beruka would be a 7. Caeda I'd rate a 5.5 now that I've been using her at 5 star. And Leo I'd bump up to a 3.

Edited by Glennstavos

Was not looking forward to this...

Reinhardt

Spoiler

I hate Reinhardt for a number of reasons, but most of them relate to how good of a unit he is.

First off, Dire Thunder is bullshit. At the time, it had more might than Melee brave weapons despite being ranged, and complimented his pretty good Attack stat. His Defense, Resistance, and HP aren't great, but they aren't shabby either. His Speed is trash even after a Hone Cavalry boost, being able to outspeed... Zephiel and Arden? Some LA!Roys? Yeah, there's a reason his best natures all are -Spd.

His base kit isn't stellar beyond Dire Thunder. Vantage is worthless on him when he's only permitted one attack on enemy phase, Blazing Thunder is just redundant when he already is inflicting 2 powerful attacks on you, as well as not having the most ideal AoE, and Goad Cavalry... it's okay, but most Cavalry units would rather take the Field Buffs from Hone/Fortify Cavalry.

Skill Inheritance and Sacred Seals were when Rein started becoming the bullshit he is, between Death Blow making his Attack even higher, Heavy Blade or Quickened Pulse enabling him to trigger Moonbow on the first round of combat, Lancebreaker furthering the death of various units, and just getting wider access to teammates with Cavalry buffs in general.

I don't know the details myself, but I honestly believe Reinardt was a contributing factor to the devs implementing more and more Cavalry disadvantages, between Cavalry effective weapons, Trenches, more maps that limited Cavalry movement, and even the beginning of the implementation of skills that lowered the damage of the second hit on Brave weapons.

But the fact that Reinhardt almost single-handedly defined the meta just by the threat of his presence, requiring at least a few counters to him just to get through Arena Assault safely. Any bad I say about Rein is because of how good he is, and I'm not sure if that's a good or bad thing.

Rating: 9/10 The original meta-definer. A personal Ranged Brave weapon that had higher might than a normal Brave Sword, coupled with being mounted so Cav buffs AND really large range, relatively high Attack and decent other stats that take from his Speed, and targeting the usually low Res stat... again, on a BRAVE weapon... makes Reinhardt someone you want to have on your side, and to have a number of counters ready for. He isn't quite as overpowered as he once was, but you do still need to watch out for him.

Olwen

Spoiler

The unit who deserved to be demoted to 4* more than Reinhardt.

Despite sharing a tome, Olwen does not use Dire Thunder quite as well as Rein, not just because of her low Attack, but also because of her high Speed that is rendered almost moot with the damn thing equipped. Her Resistance is decent, high enough that you can trigger Ploys on some units, and her HP and Defense are both bad. And her default kit is still kinda bad. Oh sure, she has Reposition, probably the most used Assist, by default, but Warding Blow is nearly useless, and Ward Cavalry is a somewhat niche skill.

If Olwen wants to keep using Dire Thunder, she needs both Cavalry support and some powerful skills to get her Attack and Speed back up, but when she does she can actually become a pretty deadly 4 hit Brave user. But it'd probably still be optimal to just run the Blarblade tome on her, since she does have the Speed to use it.

The nail I'm putting in Olwen's coffin last is that unlike Reinhardt, Olwen has direct competition for what she does best. Reinhardt already does Dire Thunder better than Olwen just by having better Attack without needing to worry about doubling the opponent, and she now has to compete with Spring Catria and L'arachel for the role of Cavalry Blarblade user, both of whom have about as much speed but higher base Attack. Sure one of those is seasonal, but the other isn't.

Really, why did Reinhardt get demoted and not Olwen...

Rating: 6/10 Olwen, while far weaker than Reinhardt with Dire Thunder, can still double the opponent with extensive speed stacking, and can still use Blarblade decently well. But she does both weaker than other units can, and her low availability already hurts her a fair bit. She was not the meta-definer that Reinhardt was, and she get hit by the direct counters to Cavalry just as hard as her brother was.

Edited by Xenomata

Reinhardt: Well, what else can I say that others haven’t already? This guy was everyone’s nightmare last year, and even though he’s no longer as domineering due to the meta shifts, he remains a damn fine unit. He has decent stats... aside from speed, but who cares. He’s not optimal out of the box, but fixing him up is surprisingly simple. You all already know that cancerous build anyway, no need to reiterate. There’s a reason why there were a high emphasis on debuffs for several months and trenches being added. 9/10

Olwen: Unlike her big brother, Olwen never really caught on. That’s not to say she is terrible, but she just couldn’t do what Reinhardt did. First off, Reinhardt got demoted over her for some reason (bet the devs are banging their heads over that boneheaded choice), so while Reinhardt could find optimal IVs easier and be merged without too much work, Olwen remained a 5* lock who was difficult to come by and could tragically suffer from poor IVs. Speaking of her stats, they’re decent... at best. Her attack is unimpressive at 26, though it can be remedied by a superboon (good luck with that), making it an acceptable 30. It’s the main reason she uses Dire Thunder much more poorly than Reinhardt, which you shouldn’t even bother with; a possible x4 sounds tempting, but it’s inconsistent as it can hit for next to nothing.. if not nothing. Go with a bladetome and she’ll do decently well with her solid speed. It doesn’t help that she has competition as a blue tome calvary with L’arachel (who’s slower but stronger and more easily available), Spring Catria (who while limited outpaces Olwen offensively), and... of course, her own brother. Poor girl. 6/10

Reinhardt: He hasn't been a consistent meta threat for no reason. He's both pretty cheap to build (Death Blow, Lance Breaker, and hone cavalry for a support unit are all available in the 3-4 star pool) and incredibly effective; fully buffed there's not many who can survive his onslaught. Even with the introduction of trenches and more units who can handle him he continues to be a painful enemy and a powerful ally. Rating: 9/10

New Rating System

Spoiler

Combat: Units performance on the field after Skill Inheritance applied, and it takes into account their stats as well of course. - 95% 

Support (Only if applicable): Gives additional points, if the unit has actual support skills like a staff or a unique weapon that gives support. - (Additional 30%)

Skills and Skill Inheritance: How good the default skill set is for the player, and how good those skills are for Inheritance to other units. It doesn't matter if only one or the other really stands out, as long as one aspect does. - 5%

Percentages (as decimals) are multiplied by 10, and then added up for a total rating which is rounded down.

Reinhardt:

Combat: this is needless to say, but double Brave Magic damage that's blue colored and his slighlty more might than ordinary Brave Weapons is god damn amazing. What makes it even more amazing is that Reinhardt uses it while riding on a horse, and having decently high Atk with an Atk boon. This guy is the peak of Blue Mages. I give him a 10/10 for combat

Skills: Vantage 3 fodder, if you don't want to build him up. Even has Goad Cavalry at 5* rarity. 9/10 for skill Inheritance.

That gives him a total rating of... ahhh... 10/10.

Olwen:

Her weapon is amazing, but not the best thing for her. She has Spd that can be used for something, but that's in trade of lower Atk than Reinhardt, and less mixed defenses. If heavily merged she can start to be very decent though. The good thing is Horse Emblem buffs can carry her a long way so I'll give her a 6/10 for combat.

Only available at 5 stars so not the best. Has Reposition if you find her completely useless, as well as Ward Cavalry. Warding Blow kinda sucks. 4/10 for Skills.

Total Rating: 5.9/10 ~> 6/10

Reinhardt

• Balanced stat line, featuring decent Atk, alright Def and Res, and low Spd.
    • Dire Thunder (-5 Spd, strikes twice when attacking) is an incredibly potent offensive tool, targeting Res and striking twice when initiating.
    • Near perfect red, very strong blue matchups on offense with an Atk-stacking Dire Thunder set and Hone Cavalry active. He also has solid OHKO capability with a Blárblade+ set, but is more buff dependent.
    • Has a decent defensive stat line that makes Blárowl+/Close Counter workable, with very strong red and passable blue matchups. Guard helps him avoid special activations from the generous helping of sword units that can build for one-round specials.
  • As a cavalry unit, he can provide cavalry field/combat buffs for his teammates. His B Passive is flexible, so if he's not using it for combat (Sword- or Lance- breaker), then he can use it for team support. Chill Res is particularly effective.

Overall, I give him 9.5/10 for combat (near perfect red, very strong blue matchups on offense), and 1.5 for support (cavalry field/combat buff, Chill potential), for a total rating of 9/10.

A few edge cases shut him out from a 10 for combat. It probably goes without saying, but nobody should use the defense set unless they're in a particularly meme-y mood. It's only there so I can cover the bases.

Olwen

• Fast and magically bulky, with good Spd, decent Res, and low Atk and Def.
    • Dire Thunder (-5 Spd, strikes twice when attacking) is an incredibly potent offensive tool, targeting Res and striking twice when initiating.
    • Very strong red, passable blue matchups on offense with either a Dire Thunder or Blárblade+ set, though the latter is more buff dependent. She's held back a little by her low Atk stat, mostly against blues.
    • Poor defensive capabilities due to her low Def.
  • As a cavalry unit, she can provide cavalry field/combat buffs for her teammates. She has some stat Ploy capability with her decent Res stat.

Overall, I give her 7 for combat (very strong red, passable blue matchups), and 1.5 for support (cavalry field/combat buff, ploy capability), for a total rating of 7/10.

Scoring method:

Spoiler

All my ratings.